PDA

View Full Version : Bowen Silver Moon Knight Statue Review

bat_collector
05-16-2006, 02:52 AM
As far as sheer "wow" factor is concerned, few Bowen statues have hit the market with as much anticipation as the Moon Knight statue (sculpted by the red hot Kucharek brothers). Being the right character choice with the right concept at the perfect time, the buzz even at my local comic shops have been amazing. Add in an even more wanted variant (the white version, soon to ship at time of this writing) and combine with no direct competition on the full size market (something Hawkeye and Namor do NOT have the luxury of ) and it seems the statue is as can't miss as can be. But can the statue live up to the hype?

Statue Concept:
Concept wise, it fits the character as perfectly as possible. Often said to be Marvel's Batman, Moon Knight's character exudes mysteriousness drapped in shadows. The concept captures this extremely well. Standing on building corner, complete with gothic gargolye, Moon Knight stands ready to pounce on whatever criminals he is spying on. His flowing cape also is designed well, flowing around him. In one hand he carried a baton-like weapon of some sort, and in the other the edge of his cape to slightly mask his face. Simply Awesome.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/misha444/moon%20knight/IMG_0572.jpg

The Sculpt:
Does the sculpt, however, deliver on the goods? The answer is for the most part, yes! Like Dr. Strange, the amazing cape of this piece absolutely makes the statue that much better. The Kuchareks do another fantastic job making the cape a selling point to the statue instead of an afterthought. Like the Strange statue, the cape almost seems alive, cloaking the character in darkness and mystery. The hood and mask of Moon Knight is also done extremely well, looking exactly as he should from the comic. Moon Knight's costume is also sculpted adequatley, with his signature crescent mooon's appearing on his chest emblem and belt. His musculature is also adequate, looking exactly as it should.

But, therein lies the main problem with the sculpt. The body and costume itself doesn't seem to do the statue justice. While so much effort and design went into the flowing cape, not nearly enough was given to the costume to make it stand out more. Its entirely too simple! Even the baton-like weapon in his hand comes off more as a perfunctory than inspired. It would have been a better addition to add his spiked gloves from his first appearance or perhaps his moon-shaped throwing knives to add something more to a character who did use various weapons other than a plain stick. More importantly, his belt's not sculpted very well, resembling a bunch of pacmans more than crescent moons.

Finally, the base itself is hit and miss. Along the same lines as Cleary's Spiderman statue, the base is a corner of a building that seems to be eroding away. The gargoyle, however, makes the base stand out very well, and is nicely sculpted. The rest of the building, including its 1/3 arch, is non-descript and not very detailed beyond some erosion effects. However, that's actually a good thing, as the base does not overwhelm or detract attention away from the statue as some current Bowen Design's releases do.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/misha444/moon%20knight/IMG_0573.jpg

The Paint Job
My biggest problem with the sculpt lies in its paint job. This is very obviously the SILVER Moon Knight, and BD delivers on that. Yes, it sure is silver. And not entirely the exact shade, it is shaded a bit as you can tell. But, honestly, the color scheme does not really make the statue look any less plain than it already is. There simply isn't any real contrast from the cape to the costume. Just one dull-ish shade of silver. The base is painted ok, if not a bit too light blue. Over-all, a bit more color to this would have really made it stand out. Thus, that's why I think the white version will be the superior one, as the white costume will have crescent moons painted silver for some contrast.

Overall Value
As far as overall value, there are several factors that must be considered. First off, you have to decide which version of this statue you want. The Silver will be more readily available and less expensive, but many will think the White Version is the more accurate one anyway. Its scarcity, and from promo pics, superior paint job will make that one version the one to own and the definitive version of this statue.

The other major factor is the height of the sculpt itself. While Moon Knight is in scale with your average bowen sculpt, the really tall base makes the statue tower above all others, including Galactus (see attached group pics). This may or may not affect you. For those wanting a consistent looking line, this one presents a bit of a problem scale wise. However, that could be masked by putting this statue more in the back of the collection, which isn't a bad idea given the simple nature of the base. Just be warned, this statue is tall!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/misha444/moon%20knight/IMG_0574.jpg

Conclusion:
So just where does the Silver Moon Knight rate? Its an awesome sculpt, especially cape wise. However, it does have its problems. First I feel this one won't be considered the definitive version of the statue. Due to the scarcity of the white version, many may just settle for this one. But, on top of that, a simple design, a mono-chromatic color scheme, and an unusually tall base caues me to rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars. The White will score higher in my book, and therefore makes this one rate a little lower.

bat_collector
05-16-2006, 02:54 AM
Just see how much taller this is than your typical bowen releases!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/misha444/moon%20knight/IMG_0571.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/misha444/moon%20knight/IMG_0570.jpg

lord odin
05-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Nice review i`m glad I didn`t get this one or the white one.

buchieboy
05-16-2006, 05:56 AM
im gonna get this one. im still impressed by the sculpt and the design :)

JDH
05-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Great review, B_C. And even the photos are good this time:) - you actually make this statue look better than any other pic I have seen of it. The height is a concern - it's not a trend I'd like to see take off, though I think I could just about work with it on this piece. A shame neither paint scheme truly represents Moon Knight to me.

bat_collector
05-16-2006, 10:01 AM
im gonna get this one. im still impressed by the sculpt and the design :)
By no means did I mean to say it was a bad statue. There is much that impresses by it. I just think the definitive version is shipping soon, and that a few more details could have made this piece really killer.

JLM
05-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your thoughts bat collector. I've been thinking about getting this one, and your review is more food for thought.

Are you getting the white version?

bat_collector
05-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your thoughts bat collector. I've been thinking about getting this one, and your review is more food for thought.

Are you getting the white version?
Yes, I am! Thanks for the feedback, man.

The silver version is on a short pitt stop before making its way to Ireland.

Portugueezer
05-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Excellent review B_C... and very nice pics.
I´ve been thinking about this piece for some time...
But I think I´m gonna hold out to see the white one..

Thanks for the info!

Bullseye
05-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Nice review Mike. So the paint is a problem for you. Looks like a similar silver they used on the Silver Surfer. The height is going to be a problem for most collectors. I don't get why its so bloody tall.

bomen
05-16-2006, 11:23 AM
i kinda like to read these reviews...nice format and breakdown. keep 'em coming!

lord odin
05-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Nice review Mike. So the paint is a problem for you. Looks like a similar silver they used on the Silver Surfer. The height is going to be a problem for most collectors. I don't get why its so bloody tall.
That`s why I didn`t get it IMO it kills the piece.

tuv1305
05-16-2006, 02:28 PM
The height is going to be a problem for most collectors. I don't get why its so bloody tall.

My guess is to help with the impression that MK is high upon the rooftops since he's on the corner of one

Nice review by the way. Seeing your pics makes me even more excited about a piece I'm already eagerly anticipating

BOSCO
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Great review B_C :buttrock: i`m lookin forward to getting this :)

loricstone
05-16-2006, 03:24 PM
:banghead: Hell people, I don't know what the problem is with the size of the statue. Hell if I had the money(if I was rich) I'd be commissioning people to do full life size statues of all the Marvel characters and put them in my enclosed backyard. If the base makes the statue too tall, stick with the darn MB's. I say the base should be appropriate for the character, and this one is perfect for MK. Hell, I wish all the statues were bigger. Maybe its just me. One more thing, if the statue is too tall for your Detolf shelfs or whatever, why don't you put up wall shelves. The statues look much better displayed that way anyway.

bat_collector
05-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Loric, I think the best thing to do would be to place this in the back of the collection, so he's more in the background.

Bullseye
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Loric, I think the best thing to do would be to place this in the back of the collection, so he's more in the background.

I think that will one solution for sure.

fossa
05-16-2006, 05:02 PM
My guess is to help with the impression that MK is high upon the rooftops since he's on the corner of one

EXACTLY!!! Man, if pieces are all the same, you guys gripe. If they are different, you guys gripe. The reason the statue is so tall is because each piece...the base & the character...are 9-10 inches tall!! I'm sure the idea was to make it seem like MK was way up high...on the top of a building...looking down on the populace. GREAT IDEA!!!

BD decides to make a base that is not "cookie cutter" & people do not like it. I think they are doing a GREAT job lately making unique bases. Yes, it makes the piece more expensive, but also MUCH NICER and distinctive. And I am not even a FS collector...tho I *WILL* be getting a WMK :buttrock:

fossa
05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
BTW, nice review, BC :thumbs2:

lord odin
05-16-2006, 05:06 PM
But doing this defeats the purpose of having a detailed base you can`t see it. :laugh:

mitchanator
05-16-2006, 06:53 PM
nice review can't wait to see it in person at my lcs

tuv1305
05-16-2006, 07:25 PM
EXACTLY!!! Man, if pieces are all the same, you guys gripe. If they are different, you guys gripe. The reason the statue is so tall is because each piece...the base & the character...are 9-10 inches tall!! I'm sure the idea was to make it seem like MK was way up high...on the top of a building...looking down on the populace. GREAT IDEA!!!

BD decides to make a base that is not "cookie cutter" & people do not like it. I think they are doing a GREAT job lately making unique bases. Yes, it makes the piece more expensive, but also MUCH NICER and distinctive. And I am not even a FS collector...tho I *WILL* be getting a WMK :buttrock:

The thought and work that goes into the bases on BD's pieces are a big reason why I usually choose them over the competition. Hawkeye and Namor are two perfect examples of this. Heck, I wouldn't even be buying a Namor if it wasn't for the great underwater scene depicted on that base. How awesome is the base on the fs Ghost Rider by BD? The list goes on, as does my ramble, so to wrap things up, I can't wait for my MK with his too tall base :buttrock:

Dr.V2005
05-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Nice review, Mikey, can't wait to read and see your reveiw of WMK!

boondocksaint
05-16-2006, 11:20 PM
awesome statue...silver or white...the K bros rock!

good review bc

Sculptorlady
05-17-2006, 01:14 AM
I've seen it in person. It's okay. Bowen's done better. I wasn't very impressed.

d rod
05-17-2006, 02:33 AM
I actually love this piece. I like it better than the white one. One of the reasons is because I like darker statues. Yea, like any other piece, it can have changes. Love the review. My final grade would probably a bit higher giving the white one the 3.5. But, that is only because of personal choice. I'm not bothered by the height either. It is an excellent piece to display on a second row. I'll take a pic of mine this week and show how I displayed it. I happen to have it on a single row but think it's great!

the Hammer
05-17-2006, 01:00 PM
I actually love this piece. I like it better than the white one. One of the reasons is because I like darker statues. Yea, like any other piece, it can have changes. Love the review. My final grade would probably a bit higher giving the white one the 3.5. But, that is only because of personal choice. I'm not bothered by the height either. It is an excellent piece to display on a second row. I'll take a pic of mine this week and show how I displayed it. I happen to have it on a single row but think it's great!

You haven't actually seen the white version in person though, right? I can't wait to see the differences between the two. The height doesn't bother me, I think it can be worked in on a 2nd tier type of thing. I actually like the difference, it adds something unique to the piece.

loricstone
05-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Umm, excuse me if I am wrong but I do believe that the moon emblem on MK's chest and belt, and even the arm bracers are gold. To me, the silver emblems don't quite seem right. Also, all it seems that Bowen did was paint white over the silver, hence it's slightly bluish hue. I am not dogging the white one, but many people are saying that they like the white one better when they have yet to see it. Don't fret though, I also feel the silver MK should have gold emblems and a gold club in his hand. Check the Marvel Universe Handbook if you guys want accuracy.

Tetragrammaton
05-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Umm, excuse me if I am wrong but I do believe that the moon emblem on MK's chest and belt, and even the arm bracers are gold. To me, the ... Check the Marvel Universe Handbook if you guys want accuracy.

I believe you are thinking about another outfit.

http://i4.tinypic.com/zyge4o.jpg http://i4.tinypic.com/zygg3t.jpg

buchieboy
05-18-2006, 04:15 AM
so is that white or silver??

HULK SMASH
05-18-2006, 02:34 PM
I agree,the rating should have been higher.

rychehitman
05-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Nice Review BC.

If I reviewed him, I think I would have scored higher, but I didn't, so what do I know!

I appreciate the scale pics! Nice to see him taller than that planet eating freak! :eplus2:

bat_collector
05-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Nice Review BC.

If I reviewed him, I think I would have scored higher, but I didn't, so what do I know!

I appreciate the scale pics! Nice to see him taller than that planet eating freak! :eplus2:
Thanks Ryche!

First off, 3.5 is a pretty high score for me. I try to be very stringent in my grading, giving statues what I think is fair. I only have given one 5 ouf of 5 and I belive two or three four out of fives.

3.5 is actually a high score for my scale, and one I think is accurate. Its a great piece, but one with some problems. For the silver version, no color contrast, to me, hurts this a lot. I think the white version will have some color contrast and make the statue that much more cooler. Because of that, I give the silver a higher grade than the white.

ITs all subjective, and thanks for the feedback ryche.

Capt. America
05-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I Think it's an awesome statue can't wait for the white one

mitthrawnuruondo
05-18-2006, 09:55 PM
wow,this review is depressing to read.mine will be here this weekend ,hope i am happy with it.

jimbo5905
05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Man....I can't believe how tall it is.....wondering where I'm going to put it on my shelves...my Galactus is scraping the top of the case as it is.....nice review, though....I've seen the silver in my LCS and you are right...the white version will be the more sought after and the "definitive" version....the statue is just TOO silver....don't really know why two version were made, to be honest.....

bat_collector
05-18-2006, 11:12 PM
wow,this review is depressing to read.mine will be here this weekend ,hope i am happy with it.
Depressing? Its a very good statue. Just got a few problems I think the white version will not have. :buttrock:

In case you didn't know, I have the white version on order.

mitthrawnuruondo
05-19-2006, 08:01 PM
can you post a closeup pic of the area where his cloak gathers in his arm that is raised and clutching the cape.the reason i ask is mine is really rough and undefined in the area,like maybe it is a manufacturer defect,or factory repaired damage.just curious,otherwise i think he looks really,sweet.
but i wish i hadnt cancelled my white i had ordered.

rychehitman
05-19-2006, 09:35 PM
ouch...you cancelled the white?

Man T, sounds like between SMK and Doom, you arent having FS luck. I Hope your SMK is like all the rest!

tuv1305
05-20-2006, 03:17 AM
I got mine this afternoon and I love it. Didn't order the WMK as I already have another MK and two's enough for that character.

The Fog
05-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Once again depressing, not the statue, which is now better than anything of this character out there, ever. Silver or White or any color.
Wow, I can't wait to get mine, Silver or White, with that really TALL base. I will make room for this, probably right along side the BP classic FS, it also has a really big base, which to me is great and very well done.
By the way I haven't received mine yet, but it seems like the Belt, Boots, and Armbands are little different in paint color? Not all the same "dull" silver.

COI
05-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks Ryche!

First off, 3.5 is a pretty high score for me. I try to be very stringent in my grading, giving statues what I think is fair. I only have given one 5 ouf of 5

And that 5 out of 5 was definetly justified. :buttrock:

Jameshowlett
05-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Umm, excuse me if I am wrong but I do believe that the moon emblem on MK's chest and belt, and even the arm bracers are gold. To me, the silver emblems don't quite seem right. Also, all it seems that Bowen did was paint white over the silver, hence it's slightly bluish hue. I am not dogging the white one, but many people are saying that they like the white one better when they have yet to see it. Don't fret though, I also feel the silver MK should have gold emblems and a gold club in his hand. Check the Marvel Universe Handbook if you guys want accuracy.
He didn't just paint the White over the Silver, that is not were the blus comes fr09m on thewhite. It is an entirly different paintjob. I have never seen MK to wear Gold bands. What are you smokin Loricstone? Just kidding. Keep coming back, it works if you work it. LOL

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
05-24-2006, 06:45 AM
I got mine yesterday.

My comments (don't forget these are personnal thoughts) :

Detailed muscles with no apparent mistakes. Beautiful work from the Kurachek Brothers. Only a regret about anatomy : the shoulders are too high. I mean, if you look at the measurement between the low line of pectoral muscles and the upper line of the shoulders, it's longer than it should be (look at a Silver Surfer full size for example). Maybe explained by the fact that the cape was added at an avanced stage of the sculpture. And it needs to be thick to avoid excessive fragility. This detail wasn't an evidence on promo pics. It should have been anticipated.

The square peg (located in the right leg) fit perfectly on an heavy base that allows great stability to the statue.

The crescent moons seen on the chest and the belt should look more like a crescents. Some of them are more "C" or pacmans. But we must remember that it his hand sculpted. So it's acceptable and not so important at all when statue is displayed. You don't take close look at it when it's in you cabinet.

The paint job is good but far from outstanding. Silver paint is not in cause. It is well shaded and not as plain as described in the first post (to have an idea, you need pics taken without any flash). The statue is well contrasted compared to the base. And silver add a darker look that fits perfectly to the Moon Knight. But the quality of the paint job could have been better. If you take a close look, you can see dark grey traces made by paint-brushes...

The base is beautiful with a detailed gargoyle. But the base could have been more detailed on the arch's side. It's too smooth.

Despite the fact that I don't really care for the characters, I was impressed by the sculpture in itself. That's why I bought it. For me, Silver was the way to go. I think the white version will lack of contrast (even with the blue shades effects). I'm overall satisfied with this beautiful SMK statue.
My advice : you need to display it on the upper shelves of you cabinet. Choose a dark place if you can and try to highlight its beauty with light effects.

Some links to my pics now :

pics #1 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2001.jpg)
pics #2 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2002.jpg)
pics #3 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2003.jpg)
pics #4 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2004.jpg)
pics #5 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2005.jpg)
pics #6 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2006.jpg)
pics #7 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2007.jpg)
pics #8 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2008.jpg)
pics #9 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2009.jpg)
pics #10 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2010.jpg)
pics #11 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2011.jpg)
pics #12 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2012.jpg)
pics #13 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2013.jpg)
pics #14 (http://evrard.e.free.r/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2014.jpg)
pics #15 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2015.jpg)
pics #16 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2016.jpg)
pics #17 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2017.jpg)
pics #18 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2018.jpg)
pics #19 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2019.jpg)
pics #20 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2020.jpg)
pics #21 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2021.jpg)
pics #22 (http://evrard.e.free.fr/Images/UM-Photos/SMK/Silver%20Moon%20Knight%20-%2022.jpg)

buchieboy
06-03-2006, 10:55 PM
got mine the other day #1960..

this piece looks great when displayed on the top most part of your shelf :)

Tattoo-X
07-07-2006, 09:57 PM
What is the over-all height of Moon Knight?

Ink
07-07-2006, 10:13 PM
19.5 inches

moon_knight1971
07-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Just got mine today because I missed out on the WMK. What a beauty! He towers above everybody! Exceptional statue. Right up there wih DD & Cap IMO! Future classic in the making..... :thumbs2:

Tattoo-X
07-08-2006, 01:14 AM
19.5 inches
Wow.
Thank you.
I was considering puting it with the upcoming Beast statue. Which would go next to my wife's Venoms and Lady Death.
Lady Death is about 17 1/2", and the shelf space 19".
Crap, that won't work. :banghead:
If I go with my latest redesign for our living room cabinet, the bottom shelf will be 18" to accommodate my Attakus Chewbacca. Top shelf (glass) for Marvel Bowen Full Size at 16".
Moon Knight may have to go up by itself on the bookshelf where the Star Wars statues are now, or on top of the X-Files shelf where the Bowen are now.
I don't think I want to redesign again a shelf, for one piece that will tower of all the others. Seems like a waste of space.

Tattoo-X
07-09-2006, 07:41 PM
So what's the base dimensions and weight?
I might go with a 20" shelf space and put in a few glass tiers to raise a few up in back and place a few in front.

Ink
07-09-2006, 07:48 PM
the base looks about maybe a 3-4" circle, the building corners hang over the base about 1/4th of an inch on both sides

weight, feels like about 10-11 pounds without looking at the box

Tattoo-X
07-09-2006, 08:15 PM
the base looks about maybe a 3-4" circle, the building corners hang over the base about 1/4th of an inch on both sides

weight, feels like about 10-11 pounds without looking at the box
Wow, isn't it a little top heavy?
My 44 oz pepsi cup is 3 1/2 at the bottom, and 4 1/2 at the top, but nearly a third of that height.
I'm guessing the cape area is around 6" across. :inquisiti

yodanut
07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
I still can't decide which one is better. I have the WMK too and although I was planning on getting rid of one of them, they both look great.

Ink
07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Wow, isn't it a little top heavy?
My 44 oz pepsi cup is 3 1/2 at the bottom, and 4 1/2 at the top, but nearly a third of that height.
I'm guessing the cape area is around 6" across. :inquisiti

tip to tip, around 8"

Tattoo-X
07-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info.
I was going to post this question again, but thougt to check here.
Actually, I forgot that I asked about the base and weight, but new shelf plans made me think about the base again.

claws181
07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I think this is a beautiful piece. I have admired it at my LCS now for a while. I wish I had the room to warrant me getting one.

Force of Nature
12-07-2006, 03:02 PM
This looks like a serious piece of work and the longer I think about it the more I want to have one in my collection.
The White MK does look great but is a bit too expensive for me so I think I will be going for this silver version.
Beware of the Fist of Khonshu because the Moon Knight is coming over... oh yeah!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!

Force of Nature
12-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi guys,

just wanted to add to my previous post that after a bit of surfing on the Net I discovered that the creator of Moon Knight intended the costume to be silver and not white:

With the 3rd issue of his hit revival series now in the stores, Marvel's Moon Knight makes his long-awaited debut as a 1:8 scale resin statue from Bowen Designs.

Perched upon a crumbling parapet, Moon Knight is poised to do battle with the nocturnal predators who victimize the helpless. Sculpted by the Kucharek Brothers, Moon Knight is offered in a limited edition of 2,000.

When Bowen Designs first announced the pending production of the Moon Knight statue several months ago, debate immediately erupted among the fan/collector community online as to the “correct” color of his costume. One faction favored silver; the other preferred white.

ALL text descriptions of the nocturnal avenger throughout his 30+ years of existence have described his crimefighting garb as silver. Even his creator, writer Doug Moench, flatly declared and confirmed in many interviews that the costume was indeed supposed to be silver.

However, confusion arose due to the limitations of the pre-computer color palate available to the comic book colorists of the '70s, '80s, and early '90s, the first 20 years of Moon Knight's existence. Not having anything resembling a true silver available to them, they colored his outfit white with pastel blue highlights as a sort of visual shorthand to denote silver. Yet, even though he was colored exactly the same as the Silver Surfer had always been, many young readers of that era apparently never made the leap to conclude Moon Knight was likewise supposed to be silver.

To help settle the debate, Randy Bowen launched an online poll to determine what color fans felt the Moon Knight statue should be produced in. Silver dominated in the poll, but white still made a respectable showing. So Bowen decided to make a silver-colored regular edition, with a website-exclusive white variant to follow shortly after. This white edition was produced in an extremely limited edition of only 600, and sold out in pre-orders the same day the offering was posted.
Unquote

http://bestcomics1.com/5-11-06/moon.jpg

I guess that kinda settles the score for me. Next month I am going to treat myself on a Silver Moon Knight FS. Yes sir, you better believe it! :)

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!

Alex655321
12-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Great Post Rainer:thumbs2:
Did not know the history of what color Moonknight should be.
I though he was supposed to be white.

legendsofbatman
01-13-2007, 07:52 AM
By no means did I mean to say it was a bad statue. There is much that impresses by it. I just think the definitive version is shipping soon, and that a few more details could have made this piece really killer.

I received this and the In Flight Superman Returns statue the same day. Funny how I paid about the same for both, and this is massive and the so-called Superman statue is in scale of a marvel legends figure. :confused:
So, I saw the 2-dimensional aspects of it, but, was so much more impressed by this than that over-priced doesnt look a thing like brandon routh statue, that requires a magnifying glass to see.
If Clara Peller were alive, she'd undoubtedly have asked of the Superman statue, "Where's the beef?" :laugh:

jsnchrry
02-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Sweet! I just won the silver Moon Knight on E-bay last night for 99.00 ..woo hoo!! Last week I got a me a Ghost Rider black chrome the week before for 69.99 ...deals o' plenty are a foot on the bay!!

J Storm
03-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Sweet! I just won the silver Moon Knight on E-bay last night for 99.00 ..woo hoo!! Last week I got a me a Ghost Rider black chrome the week before for 69.99 ...deals o' plenty are a foot on the bay!!

nice pickup, I got mine for $110 last year. The GR is great deal too.

jsnchrry
03-02-2009, 11:03 PM
I would like to comment on my thoughts on the Moon Knight FS. Many fans of Bowen Designs have complained about this statue and I believe it has gotten a bad rap. First off the Moon Knight is supposed to be silver as thats how he appeared originally in the comics. Second many have also complained the statue is too drab,too tall or not detailed enough. Lets look at the facts here Moon Knight doesnt have the snappiest uniform in the Marvel Universe possessing a rather simple costume but one that has always my favorite. Size of the statue has also been a concern as he towers in hieght above even mighty Galactus. One can solve this by placing him on top of your detolf/ curio where he will look great towering over your Bowen collection. This statue may have some issues ...but all in all it is an amazing piece and for the price it can be obtained on E-bay makes it a hard to pass up statue. I highly recommend this piece and praise the Kucharek bros. for another fine sculpt.

Fuzzylojiks
01-25-2010, 08:44 AM

I think it's because they want people to put it behing other sculpts and still see it.