PDA

View Full Version : Why transfer to Wax?

fidelC
06-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Can those of you with wax transfer experience tell me the benefits of transferring a piece to wax? I would love to try it, just want to know why you all love it so much.

Also, when pouring wax, do you HAVE TO have a pressure pot? (sorry, still havent learned much about the actual process)

As I can see, the process is:

-Sculpt in your preffered clay
-Mold and transfer to wax (with no armature, how stable is your wax copy?)
-Add all the details
-Mold again for transfer to Resin

Kdawg59
06-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Can those of you with wax transfer experience tell me the benefits of transferring a piece to wax? I would love to try it, just want to know why you all love it so much.

Also, when pouring wax, do you HAVE TO have a pressure pot? (sorry, still havent learned much about the actual process)

As I can see, the process is:

-Sculpt in your preffered clay
-Mold and transfer to wax (with no armature, how stable is your wax copy?)
-Add all the details
-Mold again for transfer to Resin

Okay... I will give you my version and take.

Different sculptors have different methods in which they work easiest. Some of us are heavy handed and there are others whom all they have ever used is sculpey and can get brilliant details.

I like transfering a piece because...

The wax is a dream to detail whilst you hold it
the wax is smooth as glass and you can both melt and sand with sponges and steel wool.

if you make a mistake you can easily correct and weld the piece back together.

I can easily add minute and fine details as the wax carves like a dream.

A pressure pot does help but isn't 100% necessary as I have transferred pieces and you just have to get it close. pin holes are no problem to fill.

With a wax pen you can also in essence draw detail on the piece.

the wax is harder than castilene and much stronger as well.

I am sure Toxic Papa if he's reading can give the absolute best of the best explanation of the wax there is... as his formula is top shelf...

fidelC
06-29-2006, 06:02 PM
kdawg,
Thanks for responding to my post. This is truly helpful information. Im sure I'll try it at least once. Hope I can pick your brain when that time comes.

fidelC