PDA

View Full Version : SDCC Smeagol

Comicboy
08-19-2004, 06:38 AM
Anybody else pick this up? I'm still waiting for mine, should be here any day now.

Zurbaran1
08-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Anybody else pick this up? I'm still waiting for mine, should be here any day now.

Yes, I got one. It's nice!

d rod
08-19-2004, 11:05 AM
I got my tracking number last night for it.

MONSTER
08-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I got mine but I have not had the chance to open it yet.

Comicboy
08-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Got mine today! I dig the paint job. Very nice piece, my wife said creepy, all the better :eplus2:

Zurbaran1
08-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Sideshow does some amazing work.

Sniper
08-20-2004, 09:58 PM
hot but space and money wise cant get it. Have to limit my stuff to the bowen, gentle giant, gi joe stuff

silverageguy
08-25-2004, 07:53 AM
We received ours last week.
It looks great next to the rest of the Fellowship.
My wife is really glad we signed up for one and didn't have to go the ebay route.

Zurbaran1
08-25-2004, 07:58 AM
We received ours last week.
It looks great next to the rest of the Fellowship.
My wife is really glad we signed up for one and didn't have to go the ebay route.

I think they had enough of these that between SDCC and the waiting list most people who wanted one, got one. I don't know of anyone on the sign up list that didn't get one.

silverageguy
08-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Zurb:
I, for one, would call that great planning on SideShow's part.
They made enough for everyone who wanted one and they made it seem like a special exclusive! If only every company had that philosophy - get the exclusives to those who want them and make them seem like they are limited.

By the way, I collect the GG Star Wars busts and I think GG had the same situation with the "Luke" show exclusive. I got mine early off ebay (for an O.K. price) but they are also offering it through the collector's club. http://66.98.242.87/~admin11/images/smilies/frown.gif My mistake - I could have gotten it cheaper if I waited.

C. Bormann
09-06-2004, 02:39 AM
I picked my Smeagol at the show. It's a nice piece, but it is the only SIDESHOW piece that I own.

I bought it because SIDESHOW gave everyone the oppertunity to preorder it through the website and pick it up at the convention.

I wasn't lucky enough to get the LUKE TROOPER in San Diego because of the lines, but in Chicago I just walked right up and bought one. And I still got a LOW NUMBER. # 0069/3500.

DLMEsquire
09-06-2004, 05:06 AM
I got offers by email from Sideshow for 3 of their convention exclusives and I've received all 3. The Smeagol is an excellent piece. I think the Sideshow LotR pieces are exceptional! I put them right up there with BD and GG.

C. Bormann
09-07-2004, 12:51 AM
I just wish all of the companies used the same scale for their sculpts. I like consistancy in my display.

Sniper
09-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Well if that was the case everything would have looked the same. I like things a bit different, the batman dc clock tower is huge , but worth.

DFury
09-07-2004, 11:20 AM
This Smeagol is it the companion piece to the gollum statue that came in the 2nd DVD collectors pak?? My son has the bookends from the first dvd pak and the gollum and has mentioned to me something about another statue.

df

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 11:24 AM
This Smeagol is it the companion piece to the gollum statue that came in the 2nd DVD collectors pak?? My son has the bookends from the first dvd pak and the gollum and has mentioned to me something about another statue.

df

The gollum that came with the 2nd collectors DVD pack was gollum as smeagol. Within the collectors set itself there was an offer for another gollum statue. This one was gollum as gollum. It was only available through the offer included with the DVD collector set and was something like $79.99. I put it aside meaning to order one and forgot all about it.

DFury
09-07-2004, 11:26 AM
hmm, I should try and find this for him.. It would make a good xmas present.. :)

df

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 11:26 AM

df

Of course I didn't directly answer your question. I think the gollum as gollum I mentioned above can be considered the companion piece. The SDCC Smeagol is actually a mini-bust and I would not consider it the companion to the original DVD statue.

DFury
09-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Zurb,
thanks for the info.. Now i just need to find this item.. 79.99 seems High for such a little statue.. Do you know if all the statues that came in the dvds had the sigs on the bottom?

df

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 11:31 AM
hmm, I should try and find this for him.. It would make a good xmas present.. :)

df

eBay but I think they are going for a hefty premium. Here's one that I think is a tad high Gollum as Gollum (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29799&item=2268190690&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW). Recent ones I've seen have gone for around $160.

DFury
09-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Zurb,
ouch that is going to hurt...

df

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Zurb,
Do you know if all the statues that came in the dvds had the sigs on the bottom?
df

You know, I'm not really sure what you mean. I took the DVDs out and never pried gollum loose from the styrofoam packaging. I've been meaning to and now you have my curiosity up. What do you mean by sigs? Facsimile signatures or such?

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 12:23 PM
im thinking about getting into the lotr statues is it too late? are there way to many? are they really expensive? any insight will be appreciated...

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 12:27 PM
im thinking about getting into the lotr statues is it too late? are there way to many? are they really expensive? any insight will be appreciated...

You are kidding right?

It's never too late.
There are a lot of them
Expensive? Can you say Balrog?

They are freaking awesome though.

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 12:28 PM
zurb you have them all?

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 01:00 PM
zurb you have them all?

No, but I wish. I started late and have been kicking myself because of it. I get almost all of my statues from my LCS. When these first came out I asked him if he was getting them and he wasn't so I kind of didn't pay attention. I should have ordered them direct. I missed out on Balrog, Witch King, Aragorn, Orthanc and a few of the other now ridiculously expensive ones.

I am pretty much on top of everything coming out now and have gone back and gotten those that aren't mega $$$.

So far I've picked up:

Sam and Bill The Pony
Gandalf the White
Legolas Statue
Frodo Statue
Meriadoc Statue
Ringwraith and Steed
Fell Beast and Morgul Lord
Orc Brute
Treebeard bust (It's huge)
Helms Deep Environment
Golden Hall Enviroment

and a handful of the busts.

I've ordered and am waiting on:

Morgul Lord
Sauron Statue
Balrog 2
Gandalf and Shadowfax
Gandalf the Grey
Eowyn as Dernhelm
Birth of Uruk Hai

and some other stuff.

If you love the movies and the books and are a big fan of LOTR these are great. Sideshow is doing some incredible stuff with this line. The detail is exceptional. I am trying to figure out a way to display as much of this as possible.

DFury
09-07-2004, 01:01 PM
You know, I'm not really sure what you mean. I took the DVDs out and never pried gollum loose from the styrofoam packaging. I've been meaning to and now you have my curiosity up. What do you mean by sigs? Facsimile signatures or such?

zurb yes on his there are facsimile sigs of Jamie Beswarick Peter Jackson and Andy Serkis

df

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 01:25 PM
zurb yes on his there are facsimile sigs of Jamie Beswarick Peter Jackson and Andy Serkis

df

I'll take a look tonight and let you know bro.

RickDTM
09-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Zurb,
Nice to know there are other Sideshow LotR fans out there! I have a ton of their stuff too, and am STILL trying to figure out a way to display them......Sheesh!! Personally, I intend to re-paint them all.

Rick

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 01:52 PM
zurb you have these diplayed?

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 02:10 PM
zurb you have these diplayed?

A couple of the statues and a few of the busts only, and not in any organized fashion. I'm working the wife over for a few IKEA cases to set these up in. I really do want to display them all.

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
damn zurb no pics?

Collection King 13
09-07-2004, 02:12 PM
A couple of the statues and a few of the busts only, and not in any organized fashion. I'm working the wife over for a few IKEA cases to set these up in. I really do want to display them all.

Where are you gonna display them in that Museum of yours? :confused:

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Not right now, sorry.

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 02:14 PM
out of all the collection pics ive seen i dont remember seeing any lotr statues or busts....whats up with that?

RickDTM
09-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey Zurb, what did you do w/ the boxes they came in? I've got all my pieces out, but was saving the boxes in case I move in the future. If you display them, will you keep the box?

Rick

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 02:20 PM
hey rick you got a pic of your collection?

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Hey Zurb, what did you do w/ the boxes they came in? I've got all my pieces out, but was saving the boxes in case I move in the future. If you display them, will you keep the box?

Rick

Rick, I will definitely keep the boxes. The Sideshow boxes and protective packaging is top notch. I'd want to keep the boxes in case I need to move them and also should the day ever come and I decide to sell any.
My folks live down the block and I have taken over a fairly good sized storage room in their basement. That's where I am keepin all my boxes and undisplayed pieces.

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Where are you gonna display them in that Museum of yours? :confused:

It's tough frankly. I just picked up 2 Bertby's at IKEA and am going to set them up in my finished basement. But as you know they are thin and really only good for busts and small statues. I've got my eye on those IKEA $59 displays (I forget the name, begins with a "D"). They are almost entirely glass and perfect for statues. The price is also right. I'd love to get a bunch of them but where to put them is a problem. My wife told me where she thinks I should put them but they ain't gonna fit there for sure :D I am going to play around with the space in my small home office and see what I can do.

However, if I kick my mother-in-law out I'll have a whole 6 room apartment to do as I please with :eplus2:

RickDTM
09-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Boondock,
No pics, but I can tell you what I have. Here goes.....

Balrog I statue
Wraith on Steed statue
Cave Troll statue
Saruman statue
Twilight Witchking statue
Moria Orc Swordsman statue
Running Uruk Hai statue
Watcher in the Water statue
Morgul Lord statue
Fell Beast and Lord statue

Gandalf bust (re-painted)
Lurtz bust
Moria Orc bust (re-painted)
Samwise bust
Merry bust
Frodo bust and statue
Bilbo bust
Orc Overseer bust

On the way:

Sauron statue
Gothmog on Warg

@ Zurb - Nice to know I wasn't nutz for keeping the boxes!

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 03:35 PM
rick sounds like a nice collection....ill mail you my digital camera to take pictures,,,,lol

DLMEsquire
09-07-2004, 03:49 PM

I basically echo Zurb's comments. There are many of them and many are quite pricey. It's probably not a great line to get into unless you are looking to part with lots of cash! But craftsmanship wise, I think they are exceptional! I recently picked up the Gandalf the White bust and it is a dead ringer for Ian McKellan (sic). I love the pieces I have. The Treebeard bust in particular is one of the nicest pices from any line in my opinion (It's Huge!).

I'm almost through putting together my bust set, Lurtz is the last one I need. Many of the busts can still be had for reasonable prices. :thumbs2:

That's my two cents...

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 03:57 PM
dlm any pics?

Zurbaran1
09-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Boondock,
No pics, but I can tell you what I have. Here goes.....

Balrog I statue
Wraith on Steed statue
Cave Troll statue
Saruman statue
Twilight Witchking statue
Moria Orc Swordsman statue
Running Uruk Hai statue
Watcher in the Water statue
Morgul Lord statue
Fell Beast and Lord statue

Gandalf bust (re-painted)
Lurtz bust
Moria Orc bust (re-painted)
Samwise bust
Merry bust
Frodo bust and statue
Bilbo bust
Orc Overseer bust

On the way:

Sauron statue
Gothmog on Warg

@ Zurb - Nice to know I wasn't nutz for keeping the boxes!

Rick, you've got some nice pieces and some of the real heavyweights. The first Balrog, wow! and the Witch King and Cave Troll statues! If I ever hit the Lotto those will be mine!!!!! The Sauron and Gothmog are gonna be awesome as well.

DLMEsquire
09-07-2004, 05:29 PM
dlm any pics?

Sorry Saint, no pics yet. But if you send me your digital cam I will take some for you. :laugh:

boondocksaint
09-07-2004, 06:01 PM
lol ok im sending my cam express mail!

CKinSD
09-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Rick nope you are not nuts. i've kept the boxes as well. got to man. pieces travel in their box better for sure.

RickDTM
09-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Zurb - Thanx man. I do love the way they look, although I'm in the same boat as you! Need more space!! :)

@ CK - Man, that's the only reason I kept them. I know someday I'll be moving again, and these things are precious to me......

Rick

DLMEsquire
09-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Rick,

If you care about the monetary value at all, you should keep the boxes. They drop in value if you don't have the boxes. I don't know if you are that sort of collector or not, but if you are, a word of advice...

RickDTM
09-08-2004, 06:23 AM
DLM,
Thanx for the tip!

Rick

Justin
09-14-2004, 09:01 PM
It's tough frankly. I just picked up 2 Bertby's at IKEA and am going to set them up in my finished basement. But as you know they are thin and really only good for busts and small statues. I've got my eye on those IKEA $59 displays (I forget the name, begins with a "D"). They are almost entirely glass and perfect for statues. The price is also right. I'd love to get a bunch of them but where to put them is a problem. My wife told me where she thinks I should put them but they ain't gonna fit there for sure I am going to play around with the space in my small home office and see what I can do.

Zurb was it the DETOLF? Thats what i'm looking at putting my busts into when i move into my new home, very nice little cabinet

Zurbaran1
09-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Zurb was it the DETOLF? Thats what i'm looking at putting my busts into when i move into my new home, very nice little cabinet

Yes it is the Detolf

boondocksaint
09-14-2004, 09:49 PM
hmmm should i get this? what does it go for?

Zurbaran1
09-14-2004, 09:51 PM
hmmm should i get this? what does it go for?

Get what? Detolf or SDCC Smeagol? Yes to both
Detolf $59 ( a bargain)
SDCC Smeagol is going for between $60-75. Also very nice.

boondocksaint
09-14-2004, 09:53 PM
thanks zurb you are a gentleman and a scholar!

NOT!!!!!!!
LOL

Justin
09-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Zurb Wrote - Detolf $59 ( a bargain)
At my local Ikea store their going for $174.. what a rip :mad:

Zurbaran1
09-15-2004, 07:20 AM
At my local Ikea store their going for $174.. what a rip :mad:

Justin that just doesn't sound right. Are you sure we are talking about the same cabinet? The Detolf is listed in the printed catalogue at $59. I don't think the individual stores can mark it up like that. Here's a link to the Detolf (http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=11638). If that's the same unit, print the page, take it to your local IKEA and ask for an explanation.

Justin
09-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Zurb Wrote - Justin that just doesn't sound right. Are you sure we are talking about the same cabinet? The Detolf is listed in the printed catalogue at $59. I don't think the individual stores can mark it up like that. Here's a link to the Detolf. If that's the same unit, print the page, take it to your local IKEA and ask for an explanation.

Unfortunately that is the right price, I'm down in Australia mate that's the price their charging down here, I don't know how they figure out the price as even after conversion that is still a fair bit more, My only guess is that they have whacked a fair bit of shipping costs on top :(

Zurbaran1
09-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately that is the right price, I'm down in Australia mate that's the price their charging down here, I don't know how they figure out the price as even after conversion that is still a fair bit more, My only guess is that they have whacked a fair bit of shipping costs on top :(

Sorry mate! I should have registered your location

Justin
09-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Zurb Wrote - Sorry mate! I should have registered your location
No worries Zurb, it's tough being a collector down here at times, A person learns to role with the punches