PDA

View Full Version : E3, As We Know It, Is Gone

Zoyvod
08-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I found this to be interesting, and then question could this mean E3 might be added to SD ComicCon? I know ComicCon is alread massive, but is there really another venue that could generate more buzz for a system launch?

I found this on IGN I only copied a bit of it.

July 31, 2006 - For twelve years now, gaming professionals and geeks alike have gathered for a week of electronic entertainment frenzy. The annual Electronic Entertainment Expo has hosted giants and small players alike as companies present their latest game titles and hardware to media, retailers, and colleagues. The event crammed the Los Angeles Convention Center with blazing lights, blaring speakers, bustling crowds, and endless activity -- before spilling into flashy press conferences and notoriously decadent after-hours parties.

Now, E3 as we've known it is a thing of the past.

The Entertainment Software Assocation, which hosts E3 each year, announced today that going forward the Expo will be an "intimate event" rather than a massive trade show, hosting press events and small meetings with media, retailers, and developers. According to Electronic Arts, the redesigned E3 will now take place in July.

berenger
08-01-2006, 01:04 PM
yeah this sucks big time.....but it does open doors for studios to start doing their own conventions like EA are already doing, and Blizcon

spider-man
08-01-2006, 02:00 PM
san diego is already too big

Zoyvod
08-01-2006, 02:08 PM
san diego is already too big

Exactly from all I read it is already massive, but is there really another venue that E3 could fit into? I understand the individual companys have their own convention, but to truly reach the masses I feel ComicCon is the best platform. Is there talk about moving the ComicCon?

chromesamurai
08-02-2006, 03:44 AM
This makes me sad. At least I can say I've been to the second-to-last REAL E3. This just means the GDC (Game Developers Conference) is going to get bigger, I'm sure.

MrYac
08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
this really sucks, going to E3 was always something i wanted to do at least once in my life and i guess now that'll have to be crossed off the list:(

CharlesSong
08-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah it sucks. A true end of an era.

But I got to go about 6 times during what will be 'the good ol' days', so I can't complain.

Sgt Taz
08-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Doesnt realy matter anymore since the marketplace came into existance, at least not for us non US residents. We cant go to E3 anyway so...and now we get all the trailers and most of the demo's on marketplace, dont even have to get out of our couch. :)

Ghost
08-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Oh there's many ways to get in. Plus I just read that CEA is planning on taking over where E3 left off so it might not be entirely dead, well at least just the name.