PDA

View Full Version : PS3 not in production yet

Zurbaran1
08-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Just found this interesting article (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=4388) that Sony has admitted that the PS3 hasn't even gone into production yet. With a November launch date you would think production is well along by now. This can only mean severe shortages if they even meet the launch date. This one could get ugly.

MONSTER
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Why am I not suprised? I was hoping to just get one for my son for X-mas without too much trouble but it looks like it will not be that easy.

Zurbaran1
08-21-2006, 11:14 AM
this one is going to be a flipper's dream. Low supply, high demand and right around the holidays. Unless, of course, they totally miss the boat, a very real possibility.

JadeGiant
08-21-2006, 11:21 AM
this one is going to be a flipper's dream. Low supply, high demand and right around the holidays. Unless, of course, they totally miss the boat, a very real possibility.

probably right ... people will start camping at the Walmart before Thanksgiving :laugh:

Sgt Taz
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Gears of war will be a few weeks into release by then, I'll survive. :)

Gruson
08-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Anyone seen them for sale online yet?

:)

Ghost
08-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Just preorder them online or at a couple of vendors. And flip away! That's if they come out on time of course.

And best bet is to put down the entire amount not just 20 bucks otherwise you'll be easily pushed back on the list.

Zurbaran1
08-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Just preorder them online or at a couple of vendors. And flip away! That's if they come out on time of course.

And best bet is to put down the entire amount not just 20 bucks otherwise you'll be easily pushed back on the list.

I didn't think anyone was taking pre-orders for this yet. I usually go through ebgames.com and they aren't. I heard they would start taking them in September.

Ghost
08-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh I didn't think so either, but I know local shops will take a list before THEY can even get a certain amount to sell pre orders of. always good to check. I'd go through Gamestop or EB as well.

kirthew
08-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I have a feeling the PS3 is going to miss the Christmas Season... if they are not in production yet... they are not going to be able to generate enough units to make a true impact on the Holiday season... sure they will sell out a million units... but how many of those million units are going to be defective because they were rushed???

I think Sony is going to roll out in Japan in November/December... and hit us in March or April...

If that happens... expect the 360 and Wii to be big sellers this Holiday season...

El Diablo
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Gears of war will be a few weeks into release by then, I'll survive. :)
can`t wait for this one :buttrock:

Sniper
08-24-2006, 01:08 PM
I am going to try and get as many as possible and then list them on ebay, If I get 2 I will list one, hopefully it will cover the cost of both~

Ghost
08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Oh I'd put them all on ebay.
Sony has been known for the early bird defects and recalls anyways.
I'll wait to get one for myself till they're through a couple of round of bugs first ;)

Collection King 13
08-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Oh I'd put them all on ebay.
Sony has been known for the early bird defects and recalls anyways.
I'll wait to get one for myself till they're through a couple of round of bugs first ;)
What She Said! :buttrock:

kirthew
08-24-2006, 07:04 PM
A report on Gamespot today said that there will only be 3 million PS3's in the US by April... Half what they thought there would be... sent stock down...

I tell you.. this puppy will not hit stateside until March

Just read it again... I think this has to do with the Japanese launch which would be even worse news for us here in the States.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156459.html

SARPEDON
08-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Patience Grasshopper.

ilas
08-25-2006, 08:09 AM
probably right ... people will start camping at the Walmart before Thanksgiving :laugh:

I'll be sleeping in the camping section tents :laugh:

But then again, I might just wait until the "bug wave" is done before I get one. Just to make sure that it has no problems.

Zurbaran1
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Just picked this up off the internet. This one is going to be a flipper's dream. Only 400,000 units for the US launch if they can meet that number:

By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer

TOKYO - Sony's upgrade video-game console PlayStation 3 will be delayed until March in Europe, but will go on sale in November as planned in the U.S. and Japan, the executive in charge of the project said Wednesday.

The sales delay is caused by a problem in mass producing a key component in the Blu-ray disc laser part of the machine, the next-generation successor to Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).'s hit PlayStation 2, Sony Computer Entertainment Chief Ken Kutaragi told reporters.

"We decided to focus on the Japanese and U.S. markets," he said at the gaming unit's Tokyo headquarters. "I am so sorry not to be able to answer to all the expectations."

The company is still sticking to its initial global target of shipping 6 million PlayStation 3 machines by March 2007.

But far fewer machines will be available for the launch dates in Japan and the U.S. because of the production problem, Kutaragi said.

In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date.

The production problem is causing about a one-month delay that will reduce the company's supply capacity by about a million machines from the original plan, he said.

"We've been working hard to try to tackle the problem, but we see the delay is inevitable," he said.

Kutaragi said other preparation work on the machine was going smoothly, including the "cell" next-generation computer chip. Mass production of the machine is set to start end of September, he said.

Although Sony had initially counted on shipping 4 million PlayStation 3 machines worldwide by the end of the year, that will likely fall to 2 million, he said.

The exact European sales date will be announced later, but it will likely be in the early part of March, he said.

Model Giants
09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
PS3 delayed in europe until March 07 not a good sign guys! Can you say year of the x-box 360?

El Diablo
09-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Not really suprised at this. And looking at the estimated numbers sony will have ready for the US and JAP launches it strikes me as desperation on sony`s part, to just get the thing launched :peoples:
One things for sure by the time the PS3 is readily available to buy the 360 will be WAAAAYYY ahead on sales......

Zurbaran1
09-06-2006, 11:26 AM
It sure appears that they are in panic mode so you have to think the first generation of these are going to be even more problem prone than the first gen usually is. Rushed like this, I'd be concerned. Certainly has me thinking about flipping one in the unlikely event I get my hands on one.

Car50n
09-06-2006, 12:34 PM
defective blu-ray components?! Sony's next great format has a flaw...nOOOOO...you dont say. they've put out such great media formats, like MiniDisk, UMD and BetaMax. :laugh:

another negative point for Sony/Blu-Ray...long live HD-DVD. :buttrock:

kirthew
09-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Not really suprised at this. And looking at the estimated numbers sony will have ready for the US and JAP launches it strikes me as desperation on sony`s part, to just get the thing launched :peoples:
One things for sure by the time the PS3 is readily available to buy the 360 will be WAAAAYYY ahead on sales......

Yeah... I agree... what Microsoft should do is release Halo 3 by Christmas... that would drive the first nail into the Sony coffin... I dont think it will happen... but if it could... it would be a homerun...

Saint's Row is pretty good... it has the Grand Theft Auto feel.. and I am sure it is selling a few units... but a good shooter... puts Microsoft in the drivers seat...

Collection King 13
09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
FLIP, FLIP, FLIP! :eplus2:

The General
09-06-2006, 01:41 PM
FLIP, FLIP, FLIP! :eplus2:
:buttrock: Bro I'm all over this thing. :eplus2:

outlikealight
09-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Yeah... I agree... what Microsoft should do is release Halo 3 by Christmas... that would drive the first nail into the Sony coffin... I dont think it will happen... but if it could... it would be a homerun...

Saint's Row is pretty good... it has the Grand Theft Auto feel.. and I am sure it is selling a few units... but a good shooter... puts Microsoft in the drivers seat...

We are going to get Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, and F.E.A.R. all before Christmas. Those are already a few nails in the PS3 coffin. Halo 3 would be shoveling the dirt in.

Out

Zurbaran1
09-06-2006, 03:10 PM
:buttrock: Bro I'm all over this thing. :eplus2:

Too bad you won't get anywhere near one.

kirthew
09-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Yeah.. I am thinking the same thing... if they release 400,000 of them that is what 2 per store, maybe 3 if we are lucky... counting Gamestop, Best Buy, Circut City, Wal-Mart, Targets... and how many of those are going to be eaten up by stockroom clerks?

Zurbaran1
09-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah.. I am thinking the same thing... if they release 400,000 of them that is what 2 per store, maybe 3 if we are lucky... counting Gamestop, Best Buy, Circut City, Wal-Mart, Targets... and how many of those are going to be eaten up by stockroom clerks?

If ebgames.com takes pre-orders hell yes I'll try to get one. But to get on a line for 10 hours and deal with a rabid crowd, no frigging way. I'll wait until they get all the glitches out of them and forget about flipping one of the first ones.

The General
09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
We'll see. :eplus2:

Zurbaran1
09-06-2006, 04:28 PM
We'll see. :eplus2:

I figure you for one of those Momos who lines up outside of Best Buy the night before. You should talk to King Flipper 13 and maybe he can keep you company. You can share a sleeping bag. PS3 Wh0res. :laugh:

kirthew
09-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Take it for what you want to take it... but just called my local Gamestop... they are not taking pre-orders at all for the PS3 because of the allocation... now I could just be talking to some smooh on the phone... or someone who knows what happening... But I asked him... Is this because of the allocation and he said... yeah... because they are releasing so few...

So it sounds like if you want to flip it... might be time to stand in line.

Ink
09-06-2006, 08:30 PM
why even bother if the thing might not even work?

candyrocket786
09-06-2006, 09:13 PM

Ditto.

I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle flipping on ebay considering the production is going to be a rush job.

The secondary market sales could get very ugly via Paypal.

swim
09-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Launch will be 500,000 - 750,000 units only worldwide. Good luck. Wait untill summer\fall 07.

Zurbaran1
09-07-2006, 10:06 AM

I think that's the point. More reason to flip it. A lot of the folks who are going to grab these initial units have big Christmas $$$$$$ signs floating in front of their eyes. These units are going to be in so much demand you will easily be able to double or triple your money if you sell it. And it's going to be even easier to sell if you know that these units may be rush manufactured and glitchy. Sell it, make a huge profit and then buy one for yourself when they are readily available and all the kinks have been ironed out. There are always going to be folks willing to wait in line for however long it takes to do this. I wouldn't no matter how much I could make selling it. But, given the chance, I would pre-order one from ebgames.com.

El Diablo
09-07-2006, 10:58 AM
I think that's the point. More reason to flip it. A lot of the folks who are going to grab these initial units have big Christmas $$$$$$ signs floating in front of their eyes. These units are going to be in so much demand you will easily be able to double or triple your money if you sell it. And it's going to be even easier to sell if you know that these units may be rush manufactured and glitchy. Sell it, make a huge profit and then buy one for yourself when they are readily available and all the kinks have been ironed out. There are always going to be folks willing to wait in line for however long it takes to do this. I wouldn't no matter how much I could make selling it. But, given the chance, I would pre-order one from ebgames.com.

That`s very true. You know i`ve never understood people who are willing to pay $$$$$ more than retail to get hold of console at release, especially as very few are released with games worth playing. And even more so with the PS3 as there are very few (big name) exclusives it actually has now that the 360 doesn`t. And by the looks of it 360 and PS3 games will be virtually identical graphically.
One things for sure, sony won`t have such an easy time in this round of the console wars.

Father_Jack
09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Not available in Uk untill Mar 07? it serves Sony right if everyone who was going to buy a PS3 now buys a 360 europe and the Uk always get treated second rate to the Asian and N.American markets i know for sure i won't be buying one as i can play just as good games om my pc and the games are less than half the price!

JM28Cardiff
09-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Yeah, now the PS3 isnt coming here till March, I definately think the 360 is looking more appealing.

carrillj
09-08-2006, 08:37 AM
I don't know how much you can possibly make from flipping a $600 video game system. The word seems to be getting around that the system will lose the next console war, due to the high cost and the launch game graphics being on par with the XBox 360.

I'm more than happy with my 360 and even find the Nintendo Wii to be more interesting than the PS3.

The PS3 will be the only sytem that I won't be getting near launch day, because it will be playing catch up with the other systems and I think $600 is a lot of cash to gamble on it's success.

Model Giants
09-08-2006, 10:54 AM
From first to worst poor sony hahahahahahahaha!

carrillj
09-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I was just thinking, if you bought one of these just to flip, the system + state taxes + Ebay fees + Paypal fees, would bring your cost close to $700.

I don’t care how much of a shortage there is, I just don’t see too many people paying much over $700 to get this system, when there will be 2 other excellent consoles available for a fraction of the cost. Then again, those hardcore gamers are a bunch of whackos, so you never know.

Either way, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Microsoft announced a price drop near the PS3’s release, just to give Sony a knockout blow at the start of the bell.

MONSTER
09-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I was just thinking, if you bought one of these just to flip, the system + state taxes + Ebay fees + Paypal fees, would bring your cost close to $700.

I don’t care how much of a shortage there is, I just don’t see too many people paying much over $700 to get this system, when there will be 2 other excellent consoles available for a fraction of the cost. Then again, those hardcore gamers are a bunch of whackos, so you never know.

Either way, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Microsoft announced a price drop near the PS3’s release, just to give Sony a knockout blow at the start of the bell.

These will easily sell for $1000.00+ through X-Mas. I'm think $1200-$1500 will be the norm.

Ghost
09-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Especially considering that the majority of Blu Ray players are over a grand as it is, they'd rationalise as it being even anyways. So you can expect them to pay double for it without flinching. I mean the 360 sold for triple when that came out.

Zurbaran1
09-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Talk about really putting yourself between a rock and a hard place. Sony is going to take a beating if the following is true. I just pulled it off a game site:

Last week's excitement over Sony dropping the price of the PS3 in Japan may prove to be short lived with news coming out of the Tokyo Game Show that some PS3 games may cost nearly $100. Sources indicate that several PS3 games will retail for around $76 to $84, well above the current generation's $40 to $50; the price increase can be chalked up to increased development costs. Sony seems to have a knack for shooting themselves in the foot, no?

$100 a game or close to it!!!!! That is crazy.

Sniper
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
that's crap , I might just stick to the new xbox then!

Ink
09-25-2006, 01:47 PM
I bought a 360 2 weeks ago

love it:thumbs2:

Zurbaran1
09-25-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm going to go with the Wii. Seems to be the system for the casual gamer.

Wooktroop
09-25-2006, 02:04 PM
thats crazy

Zurbaran1
09-25-2006, 02:07 PM
thats crazy

It may aply more to the Japanese market where games are more expensive anyway. But still games are going to average around $60 and that's not something to sneeze at.

Relic Reaper
09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm going to go with the Wii. Seems to be the system for the casual gamer.

Yup. I'm gonna pick up the Wii in November (hopefully) and sometime down the line pick up a PS3.

Endless Wake
09-26-2006, 06:47 PM
These will easily sell for $1000.00+ through X-Mas. I'm think $1200-$1500 will be the norm.

I say between $1500-$2000+. Playstations are much more popular than Xbox and look how well that did last year.

Tao
09-27-2006, 01:40 PM
I will wait until the unit will be out a year or so. I am buying a 360 now, so it won't kill me to wait in this one.

CocoPUFF
09-27-2006, 02:21 PM
If I get one b4 Christmas, I'll just flip it! I can wait till january for one, especially since those are the ones that work right anyways!