PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Thor Staue

BK1
08-21-2006, 08:54 PM
I am a long time lurker. Thanks to all of you I have become a Bowen addict.
I am currently assembling my Avengers squad and want the "original" Thor statue to be the center piece. I have the worst luck in acquiring this statue. I won an auction a few weeks ago for the statue only to discover that Thor had a crack in the right ankle. I returned the damaged statue and bid on another that was listed in mint condition and won with a bid of $280. When I received the Thor statue, I discovered that there was a break on the top left wing tip of Thor's helmet. The tip is missing so I can't glue it back on. I contacted the seller and he offered me a significantly reduced price on the statue.
How much of a price break should I ask for if I decide to keep the statue? Thanks in advance for your advice.

JadeGiant
08-21-2006, 09:40 PM
what was the offer?

Mastermold
08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately, I've heard the ankle crack was/is pretty common with this piece.

BK1
08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
The seller did not give an actual amount. I'm wondering what would be a fair price reduction when I reply back.

JadeGiant
08-21-2006, 09:58 PM
The seller did not give an actual amount. I'm wondering what would be a fair price reduction when I reply back.

I received a damaged statue and found myself in a similar situation. I didn't really want it so I offered a really low price that they declined and had me send back.

Can you live with a damaged statue? If not, then pass IMO

claws181
08-21-2006, 10:57 PM
I picked this piece up last week at my LCS. They had just bought it and a few others off of another customer. I was furtunate enough to inspect it in person before I bought it. I've heard it's hard to find one w/o damage to the ankles or wings.

I'm really sorry for ya about this piece. I went through 5 Thor MB's on ebay before I finally got one from a forum member undamaged. I know how ya feel. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff. I personally can't live w/ it if there's something wrong and I know about it. If I were you I'd do what JG suggested and give a really low number and make him refund you the $$ when you send it back.

riderV3
08-21-2006, 11:05 PM
I'll ask for half price, if not, at least retail price.
And use some Super Sculpy or putty to make a new wing tip, glue it on, paint it over and BANG! A new Thor FS ready to roar! :buttrock:
It's not that hard if you only sculpt a wing tip.

massf
08-22-2006, 03:09 AM
Unfortunately, I've heard the ankle crack was/is pretty common with this piece.

It is fairly common on this statue. Picked mine up with a hairline crack in the ankle but I can live with that.

BOWEN NUT
08-22-2006, 07:51 AM
It is fairly common on this statue. Picked mine up with a hairline crack in the ankle but I can live with that.

Wow, I guess I should knock on wood that my Thor is in perfect shape! :)

Immovable Blob
08-22-2006, 01:34 PM
If i wanted a statue that badly I wouldnot accept a damaged one no matter how much of a discount.

BK1
08-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I had some time to think it over and will return the statue. Thank you all for the advice.

claws181
08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I hope you get to find another one undamaged soon! I really know what you're feelin' right now. It sucks!

Caniac78
08-22-2006, 06:13 PM
First off you have two heads so if one is busted then grow to love the one that's perfect,
Second you get to have a project to learn and fix a statue at now loss to the perfect statue you have with the other head,
and third I'm telling you cause I own this statue and its my second favorite after my DOOM FS I've damaged the wing tips on both heads; it's easy to damage this statue. Those wings break easily. (I don't even shift my namor for the same reason.)
I would have rather had only one head that was attached to the statue because the damage happend while I was moving and cleaning the statue and the head dropped off.
I don't know what you paid for it but I'll assume around $300 I would pay no more than $125 and that's being fair you could ask for your money back and leave him with a broken statue. I won a FS dark knight returns statue and it arrived broken I got my money and kept the statue. I took picture emailed them to him and he settled with the insurance claim. I would look upon this as an opportunity to get this statue cheap or for free.

TV8
08-23-2006, 07:11 PM
I am a long time lurker. Thanks to all of you I have become a Bowen addict.
I am currently assembling my Avengers squad and want the "original" Thor statue to be the center piece. I have the worst luck in acquiring this statue. I won an auction a few weeks ago for the statue only to discover that Thor had a crack in the right ankle. I returned the damaged statue and bid on another that was listed in mint condition and won with a bid of $280. When I received the Thor statue, I discovered that there was a break on the top left wing tip of Thor's helmet. The tip is missing so I can't glue it back on. I contacted the seller and he offered me a significantly reduced price on the statue.
How much of a price break should I ask for if I decide to keep the statue? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm sorry to hear about this saga, but happy to know that I'm not alone in getting dud Bowen statues!
I'd not bother with a broken one. It will just prey on your mind until you can't stand it any more. wait for the new Museum pose. It looks excellent and is sculpted by Randy (is this correct?).