PDA

View Full Version : Stick a fork in 'em.....

Daywalker
08-29-2006, 08:37 AM
ofcourse im talking about the sawks - dust off those golf clubs cuz ur done !

The General
08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
They've been done for weeks now. Old news dude.

What your going to say next? The Braves are done.

:eplus2:

Daywalker
08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
They've been done for weeks now. Old news dude.

What your going to say next? The Braves are done.

:eplus2:
well since the massacre ive figured they where done - but since manny hasnt played in a while - now ortiz is done (prob for the rest fo the season) - now that the big guys are out and they are 6 out fo the WC 7 out on the div - its is official

besides as NYers we can revel in boston losing like we normally do :eplus2: :eplus2:

The General
08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
well since the massacre ive figured they where done - but since manny hasnt played in a while - now ortiz is done (prob for the rest fo the season) - now that the big guys are out and they are 6 out fo the WC 7 out on the div - its is official

besides as NYers we can revel in boston losing like we normally do :eplus2: :eplus2:
I agree. They were already finished but now it's super official. The Phillies have a better chance than the Sawx.

Zurbaran1
08-29-2006, 09:51 AM
The Braves are done. Just don't tell bat_collector.

The General
08-29-2006, 09:56 AM
:laugh:

bat_collector
08-29-2006, 09:58 AM
dn't worry guys, I'll be sure to be here to remidn you when you over-paid, over-bloated team is beaten in the playoffs, yet again!

galactus
08-29-2006, 10:02 AM
While I'm psyched that the Sox appear to be done, I'm not happy about Ortiz being out due to possible heart problems. He's a fantastic player and a great ambassador for the game. Hopefully he's alright and is able to play again this year (though not well enough to get the Sox back into it, hehe :laugh: )

Collection King 13
08-29-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm sure the Sawx will figure out a way to bump the yanks out instead! :D Lets go Mets!

Zurbaran1
08-29-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm sure the Sawx will figure out a way to bump the yanks out instead! :D Lets go Mets!
You're just here because when you saw the thread title you thought it was about FOOD!

madjazz
08-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Overpaid is a function of % of revenue generated. What is the Yankees payroll as a % of total team revenues?

I'd submit to you that the Yankees do not overpay and make the appropriate investments in player personnel to protect their very lucrative revenue stream. As pointed out, this is more amazing as they are not the only MLB team in town.

The Marlins have proved that their are other viable formulas for success. Teams that have not developed the Yankees revenue stream would do well to look at that formula.

Atlanta follows very closely to the Yankee formula and has done an excellent job of maximizing revenue. Detroit appears to be making the right moves toward the Yankee formula. Boston could do the same if they'd make a ballpark large enough to support their MSA.

Daywalker
08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
You're just here because when you saw the thread title you thought it was about FOOD!
lol - u called him fat :spam:

Collection King 13
08-29-2006, 10:23 AM
LOL! I'm not mad... Just bustin some fans balls... :eplus2:

Zurbaran1
08-29-2006, 10:25 AM
LOL! I'm not mad... Just bustin some fans balls... :eplus2:

Who said you were mad? If anything I said you were HUNGRY.

Collection King 13
08-29-2006, 10:26 AM
lol - u called him fat :spam:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2/deatheaters13/bigboned.jpg

Collection King 13
08-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Who said you were mad? If anything I said you were HUNGRY.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/sukichapa/thd6845366.jpg

Car50n
08-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Overpaid is a function of % of revenue generated. What is the Yankees payroll as a % of total team revenues?

I'd submit to you that the Yankees do not overpay and make the appropriate investments in player personnel to protect their very lucrative revenue stream. As pointed out, this is more amazing as they are not the only MLB team in town.

The Marlins have proved that their are other viable formulas for success. Teams that have not developed the Yankees revenue stream would do well to look at that formula.

Atlanta follows very closely to the Yankee formula and has done an excellent job of maximizing revenue. Detroit appears to be making the right moves toward the Yankee formula. Boston could do the same if they'd make a ballpark large enough to support their MSA.

yup. this is exactly the point i make when the payroll is mentioned. everything costs more in NY, whether it's ballplayers or hot dogs. the makes the most and spends the most. and this talk about "buying" players...no one ever mentions the fact that about a good portion of the line-up home-grown guys. it just happens that some of them ended up being extremely good, and disereved a raise, unlike what most teams do and dump them, so they dont have to pay them. Cano, Cabrera, Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Wang, Proctor, and Williams have been yankees their whole pro careers.
Because of revenue sharing, the Florida Teams get more money from other teams then what they actually spend on the team. they deserve to lose. the owners do nothing be keep the money in their pockets and put out a $htt product, year after year. and who pays the most luxury tax, and who sells the most MLB merchandise in the world(which is split evenly with all teams)
the yankees.
Boston spends about 110 million on payroll, that's a little less then 80Mil less then the yanks, yet they have full control of new england, no competition from anyone throughout the year, Boston isn't exactly a 'poor' city. yet they operate with a half-a$$ed sabremetrics system, which is neither consistent, nor functional(at this point.)
I can go on and on....but not right now.

fossa
08-29-2006, 11:05 AM
You're just here because when you saw the thread title you thought it was about FOOD!no, that would be ddura :)

bat_collector
08-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Boston spends about 110 million on payroll, that's a little less then 80Mil less then the yanks, yet they have full control of new england, no competition from anyone throughout the year, Boston isn't exactly a 'poor' city. yet they operate with a half-a$$ed sabremetrics system, which is neither consistent, nor functional(at this point.)
I find it amazing you guys actually believe this stuff.

Lets face it, baseball is the most un-even sports league there is. A-rod gets paid more than some major league teams pay their whole team combined

wktf
08-29-2006, 01:06 PM
While I'm psyched that the Sox appear to be done, I'm not happy about Ortiz being out due to possible heart problems. He's a fantastic player and a great ambassador for the game. Hopefully he's alright and is able to play again this year (though not well enough to get the Sox back into it, hehe :laugh: )
Well said, Drew! Well, except for the part about being psyched that the Sox appear done...and not wanting Ortiz to get the Sox back into it...

Anyway, hope Ortiz is okay.

fossa
08-31-2006, 08:56 PM
and now they have traded David Wells to the Padres, so i think they have officially given up and are waving the white flag...

Underdog07
09-02-2006, 02:47 AM
These are typical Yankee fan arguments. Its like you guys get two cards: one about what to say when payroll is brought up and the other contains idiotic trade proposals like Melky Cabrera and a A prospect for Travis Hafner, Grady Sizemore, Victor Martinez and a couple AAA prospects.

Cano, Cabrera, Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Wang, Proctor, and Williams have been yankees their whole pro careers.

Not true. Wang was a pro in Korea and the Yanks paid millions to get his rights. Proctor was a Dodger and was acquired via the Robin Ventura trade.

and this talk about "buying" players...no one ever mentions the fact that about a good portion of the line-up home-grown guys.

Come on, let's call a spade a spade. Yankee fans love to tought their home grown talent. That pipeline ended with Jeter over 10 years ago. Cabrera is nothing special and Cano is merely a serviciable 2nd baseman. Damon, ARod, Giambi, Matsui, Sheffield, Mussina, Johnson, Pavano and countless others over the years have been bought.

Because of revenue sharing, the Florida Teams get more money from other teams then what they actually spend on the team. they deserve to lose. the owners do nothing be keep the money in their pockets and put out a $htt product, year after year.

This argument only factors in major league salaries. What about scouting and player development? I would say the Marlins excel in those areas so the fact that they can put out players who make Melky Cabrera money but perform like ARod justifies having a low major league salary. And to claim that the Marlins put out a **** product year after year is simply inaccurate. By my calculations they have won 2 Wolrd Series since 1997. Granted what Huinzaga (sp?) did in 1998 was despicable, Loria (sp?) has legitimately built a good-great team for years to come.

Please. This argument does not pass the laugh test. Boston has a population of 600,000 compared to New York City's population of 8 million. What does having "full control of new england" mean? Jimmy Joe from Upper Vermont is supposed to drive 12 hours to go watch a Red Sox game? All residents of Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts buy Red Sox gear? Then there's the fact about average household income. NY has NE beat, hands down.

The Red Sox generate a lot of revenue from their market, but that market is not the New York Metropolitan market. The Yanks make a lot of money because they are in the largets market, plain and simple. The Yanks spend a lot of money because they make a lot of money. And trust me, George still pockets a pretty penny or two at the end of the year.

Boston did not lose this year because of sabremetrics. They lost because of injuries to many pitchers and poor performances by other pitchers.

Underdog07
09-02-2006, 02:49 AM
Sox also just lost a young star pitcher to cancer. Luckily for him he has a readily treatable and common Lymphoma. Here's a link to an article - the doctor quoted is my transplant doctor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2569341