PDA

View Full Version : wktf and Sam Wilson's Comic Reviews (with the DAWG), 8/30/06

Sam Wilson
08-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Joe is out this week on business, and as always will be missed. Happy upcoming birthday this week too brother (Friday). Stepping in is statueforum’s own kdawg (aka Keith), and even though he doesn’t have the power of the Ivy League ring, he does “haaf beeg muscles”. Joe did leave us with an excellent tpb review though. Word.

Not a huge week in comics, but many quality titles, including screenwriter John Ridley’s The American Way from DC/Wildstorm, a brand new creative team on Marvel’s Ultimate Fantastic Four and another quality “Ultimate” annual in the form of Ultimate X-men Annual #2. My pick of the week is Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson’s The Boys by DC/Wildstorm. Yeah, that book is awesome, pick it up already, and as always, that being said on to the reviews…

The Boys issue #2
DC/Wildstorm Comics
Written by: Garth Ennis
Drawn by: Darick Robertson

Back when I clearly remember the promo poster for the “Preacher” series, Jesse Custer face looking very maniacal over a burning church. I was 18 at the time, a freshman in college who was strictly a super hero guy, Avengers, X-men, Cap, and Batman. The most adventurous I ever got was the magazine sized issues of “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” back in the day. Jim Lee and company breaking off into Image comics still had me reeling. Whatever though, that promo poster looked cool as hell, and as soon as “Preacher” came out, I picked it up and damn if it didn’t blow my mind. Suddenly I was thrust into a world of heroes, villains and perverts and swearing. Lots and lots of swearing. Often Ennis would reference obscure (at least at that time) aspects of pop culture, John Woo/Chow Yun Fat films, Elmore Leonard Novel’s, all kinds of things that made everything he wrote the coolest books on the planet. Not with just the Preacher, but with “Goddess”, “Hitman” (best line in a comic ever, “Spirit of Chow Yun Fat be with me now”), “The Rifle Brigade”, and lesser known titles like “Unknown Soldier” and “Pride and Joy”. All these books were about tough guys getting the job done, and at the same time being smarter and more ruthless than most, and dishing out the harshest penalties to those who deserved it the most (remember what Jesse did to that Pedophile Jesus De Sade in “Preacher”?). Now it’s 2006, and Garth has stumbled a little (the Marvel Knights Punisher series, not in the beginning but towards the end) but he is back, and with some creator owned goodness he calls “The Boys”.

Billy Butcher is not a nice guy. He has a bulldog named terror and is some type of high-ranking government agent. The first two issues move at a fairly brisk pace: our story starts with Billy paying a visit to someone in the White House, shagging her rigid, and then talking to her some more about assembling some kind of anti-superhero unit called “the boys”. He has most of his team assembled, a femmy yet bad a$#ed Frenchman, a sad but deadly psycho female and a sane single father who is probably the baddest mofo on the planet (not shown, but implied). Butcher still needs another member though, and that’s when we meet Hughie. Hughie seems to be a nice guy. He has met a nice girl and she just told him she loves him. And then she is crushed into a brick wall by a superhero brawl. So it begins…

For those of you who are Garth Ennis fans, this is more “Preacher” than “Punisher”, but really nothing like “Preacher” except for the use of over the top violence and sexuality to make a joke, which is awesome mind you. These first two issues of the boys are great, watch a Yorkshire terrier get shagged rotten, observe Billy talk tough to Mother Milk’s daughter in ways you’d only dream to see parents act. Unspeakable violence, bad language. Ahh Garth, I missed you, glad to see you back.

X-Factor issue #10
Marvel Comics
Written by: Peter David
Drawn by: Ryan Sook

For those of you who don’t remember, this is the second time Peter David has revamped X-Factor, the first time being over a decade ago in X-Factor issue #71, when the original X-men went back to the X-men and Havok, Polaris and a few other became “X-Factor”. Peter David is at it again, this time with a whole new spin, the new twist on “X-Factor” coming from his recent Maddrox limited series. You know, Jamie Maddrox, everyone’s favorite multiple man who first appeared in the Fantastic Four and spend most of his life hiding out on Muir Island with Moria McTaggart. In David’s recent Maddrox limited series Jamie was living in Mutant Town, the mutant ghetto in New York City, and running a shady detective agency. Under his employ were Rhane Sinclair (Wolfsbane from the New Mutants) and Strong Guy (from Peter David’s first revamp of “X-Factor”). Well, things have changed a little. The events of the “House of M” crossover have reduced the mutant population by 90%, and at the same time Jamie finds himself flush with cash and wanting to expand his business. In addition to Wolfsbane and Strong Guy, Jamie hired Theresa Cassidy (Syrin) and Monet St. Croix (M from Generation X) and has recruited Rusty (recently de-powered, a mutant charge of the old X-factor). Also joining the team is the little girl Layla Miller from the “House of M” crossover. Apparently “she knows things”, and thus we join or heroes in issue ten…

If you’ve missed the last few issues of “X-Factor”, the gang (with Jamie leading the charge) was forced to take a stand in the current “Civil War” going ons, and he decided to stand against registration and told Cyclops to take a long walk off a short pier (in so many words) and called him on the M-day cover up. Meanwhile, “X-Factor’s” arch nemesis, Singularity Investigations are up to no good as usual, and in issue ten we get a possible peek into their past, and even worse a possible mole inside of X-Factor who may or may not be on Singularity’s pay role (even though things seem pretty obvious, you never know). Also in this issue Jamie puts on his playa hat and Layla doesn’t seem to know everything.

If you’ve been keeping up with X-Factor, don’t stop now, this issue is pretty cool. If you haven’t read this latest incarnation of X-Factor, check it out. It is nothing like any of the previous versions of X-Factor, well, to be fair it is unlike any x-book currently being done. If you are a Peter David fan, or a fan of good writing in general, you will not be disappointed. Check this book out. Definitely a gem in hiding…

Ultimate X-men Annual #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Robert Kirkman
Drawn by: Salvador Larroca

The last of this summer’s “Ultimate” Annuals, “Ultimate X-men” annual once again gives us a touching character story centering around a few characters in the ever growing canon of the Ultimate Marvel Universe. This time around Robert Kirkman and Salvador Larroca bring us a tale of Dazzler and Nightcrawler. Ultimate Nightcrawler is a young man who was part of the “Ultimate Weapon X” program Wolverine belonged too, and was freed early on in the run of UXM. Dazzler is an aspiring punk rocker who at one point signed with Emma Frost’s Academy of Tomorrow because she promised her a record deal, but later joined up with the X-men after they rescued her from a Sentinal Attack. She was never super into being an X-men, but shows some chutzpah one day when she leads an unauthorized mission to rescue her boyfriend Angel from Genosha. Later on Dazzler is injured during a fight with Deathshrike and is put in a coma, visited frequently by Nightcrawler who has a small crush on her. Well, maybe not so small as we found out in “annual two”…

We all know Nightcrawler was in the Weapon X project, and we’ve seen the affect it has had on Wolverine, but what about Kurt? Is he the sweet fuzzy elf like in the regular Marvel U? Umm, well, after you get done reading this book the answer is hell no, not by a longshot. Weapon X really, really messed up Kurt, and who knows what kind of trauma he had suffered before the program looking the way he did. I really don’t want to say to much because it will give a way the entire issue, and the twist on the regular Marvel U Nightcrawler is part of what makes this story so good. It hits you like a freezing cold splash. I don’t really know what else to say besides that. If you’ve been keeping up with “Ultimate X-men”, you are definitely going to want to check this book out. A warning, if you are a Nightcrawler fan you might not be to thrilled as to what the Ultimate Universe does to him, but if you are a fan of compelling storytelling you will definitely be captivated by this issue.

Special Review by kdawg

Ultimate Fantastic Four #33
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Carey
Drawn by: Pasqual Ferry

For those of you that have been living under a mushroom for the past several years Marvel has given us some of their best stories and art in the form of their Ultimate line of Books. Ultimate FF has been (along with the Ultimates) among the very best of these titles consistently every month since its inception. This month we are given the brand new creative team of Mike Carey, whom has been also writing X-Men for the past couple of months and utterly confusing the ever lovin’ snot out of me over there. And Pasqual Ferry who in my most humble opinion has one of the hardest assignments in comics… Following the footsteps of Greg Land. (Sniff Sniff… bye Greg... your style and the way you draw chicas will be missed.) We are given the first part of what will be a six issue arc.

As the book started out we are given Reed and Sue out at the mall doing some perfume shopping which makes Reed rather uncomfortable in his own shoes. I thought to myself… you and every other man pal. Especially someone who is as socially inept as poor brainiac Reed. Still he toughs it out for Sue with a smile. This was unfortunately for me the very last thing that was compelling or made any sense in this story. Mike Carey is now confusing the hell out of me on yet another of my favorite titles… That boy needs a whuppin’ from mamma WKTF’s Kitchen for starting us off and not filling in any holes until we have lost interest. Still I’m hopeful and I’m not hating. Six issues is enough time to hopefully shed some light and win me over. By page 2 we are given an introduction to a whole new set of characters who are Alien, don’t make sense, and with all the pastel-like colors was just downright hard for me to get through. We spent more time with the aliens than we ever see the FF. What’s their story and what are they about? You should all feel happy that I’m writing the review, because if you are befuddled as you read this you are not alone.

What I will say is this. There was some relief toward the end of this issue as we at least get to see the FF again. Reed being Reed and Johnny and The ever lovin’ Blue eyed Thing cracking jokes and leaving the “Big Brain” to what it is that he does while they go looking for stimulation in the form of video games. This portion of the story was my relief. So I will say that so far Carey has the characterization down. The scenes with Marvel’s royal family were the bright spot in this issue.

So hopefully this new team and new arc will build steam through these first 6 issues. Telling a story that begins all guns blazing and trying to catch the reader up as you go is not the easiest thing to do and apparently this is Mike Carey’s style of writing. I hope that the next issue helps us catch up because this is one of my favorite books every month, but this issue didn’t grab me and left me saying… “This wasn’t Ultimate FF… This was Ultimately Effing confusing…

That said… I’m still in as I dig the way he wrote the FF themselves and although Pasqual’s visual style is dramatically different from Greg’s… He still can work the panels from one to the next.

Word for asking me to fill in for Joe this week Sam. I had some tough shoes to fill with you gone bro…

Sam Wilson
08-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Tpb Reviews

Wktf’s Review

The Incredible Hulk: Beauty and the Behemoth
Marvel Comics
Written by: Various (but mostly Peter David)
Drawn by: Various

About 10 years ago Marvel pumped out a bunch of “concept” trades where, rather than package comics together that form a continuous story, they collected comics around a central theme. Such books included a Fantastic Four “Villainy of Dr. Doom” collection and a Hulk book called “Transformations” that collected all the various Hulk renditions over the last four decades. This collection, “Beauty and the Behemoth,” is one of those books that also carries the sub-branding “From the House of Ideas” (the Doom book is under this umbrella, as well). The theme here, of course, is the relationship between Betty Ross and Bruce Banner/The Hulk, and the evolution of that relationship over these many years. Sure, there have been other sticky relationships in the superhero world. Lois was always befuddled and sometimes humiliated by Clark and Superman, Daredevil’s always had tragic relationships, Gwen Stacy’s love for Peter Parker is what got her killed. But it’s hard to imagine a more torturous love affair, one filled with as much heartbreak and pain, as Betty’s and Bruce’s. And this trade does a great job at capturing most all of the pivotal moments, from the shocking beginning that gave us Bruce and Betty’s first awkward meeting and also caused Betty to faint dead away at first sight of The Hulk right up until the devastating end when Betty was taken from all of us (until Bruce Jones got his hands on The Incredible Hulk, that is).

But this trade is not only about love unrequited, realized and then frequently denied. It’s also got plenty of Hulk savagery and some of the best Hulk stories in the big brute’s history. Of course, there’s The Hulk’s origin and first story by Stan and Jack, so well known to most all of us. What follows is the tale of Betty’s gamma ray transformation into the vicious Harpy from Hulk #169, also with the introduction of the Bi-Beast, by Steve Englehart and Herb Trimpe, followed by John Bryne’s story of Bruce and Betty’s wedding while an enraged Hulk, separated from Banner, battles the US Army and Doc Sampson from Hulk #319. From this point on it’s the Peter David show with five more stories by the writer who was, for The Hulk, what Mark Gruenwald was to Captain America. Perhaps the most moving story in this book is from Hulk #344, drawn by Todd McFarlane (whose Hulk I always liked better than his Spider-Man), where Betty is bound and determined to face down, confront, and make peace with The Hulk with news that she’s carrying his unborn baby. The scene of the massive Hulk cradling Betty in his arms is one of the great visual images in Marvel’s history. What follows are three tales assisted by artist Dale Keown, Hulk # 372, 373 and 377, where Betty and Bruce/The Hulk are reunited, actually share a laugh over the notion of joining a support group after a pitched fight with Doc Sampson, and then the classic tale where Sampson unites the green and gray Hulks into one smart, green Hulk (remember the “Hone…I’m Home” line?). Finally comes the devastating end in Hulk #466, beautifully drawn by new Superman artist Adam Kubert. Betty is dying of radiation poisoning, Thunderbolt Ross is warring with both Bruce and The Hulk as a team try frantically to save her, and her history with The Hulk, much of it presented previously in this volume, is recounted as Rick Jones’s wife, Marla, reads Betty’s memoir. There’ve been lots of deaths in comic books but for long time readers, especially sympathizers of Bruce and Betty’s plight, they don’t come much more wrenching than this one.

This trade also contains an extremely thoughtful Foreward and Afterward by Peter David, summarizing his thoughts about this bizarre love triangle, sharing his perspective as The Hulk’s writer for possibly the longest writing run on the title, and some sobering thoughts about what these tales tell us of our own life. I thoroughly enjoyed this trade. It was reflective, fun and a bit sad all at the same time. But wholly satisfying to read. Yes, it’s out of print but I strongly advise trolling your lcs shelves, or an online store, for it. It’s really a great read from cover to cover.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Ultimate Extinction
Marvel Comics
Written by: Warren Ellis
Drawn by: Brandon Peterson

Ultimate Extinction is the third part in Warren Ellis’s “Ultimate Trilogy”, which is all about the coming of Gha Lak Tus (that’s Galactus for you regular Marvel U folks). The first part, Ultimate Nightmare, was about the X-men and the Ultimates tracking down an alien distress signal from the dead of Siberia, they soon found out this beacon came from the “Ultimate Vision”, whose alien android body was being used by the Russians for all kinds of cold world nastiness. Sam Wilson (the “Ultimate Falcon”), who was on the recovery team is also a scientist, and Nick Fury charges him with figuring out what exactly this “Vision” was sent to Earth for. The second part, “Ultimate Secret”, I actually will review later in the tpb, so I guess you can just read that for a recap/review of that storyline. Then as a back up story in recent “Ultimate Marvel” books, the story of the Vision is told (who turns out to be a she). The Vision is on Earth to warn it’s populace of Gha Lak Tus, the world destroyer, she was created by one of the worlds he destroyed and then sent out into space to warn other worlds of his coming. Apparently there is nothing you can do to stop the coming of Gha Lak Tus, and she suggests to Sam Wilson the populace of Earth get out while the getting’s good, which brings us to the last part of the trilogy, Ultimate Extinction.

Ultimate Extinction begins with Sam Wilson, Captain Marh-vell and Reed Richards briefing Nick Fury on how exactly Gha Lak Tus is going to destroy the Earth. It wasn’t pretty. Meanwhile, Misty Knight was just hired to find a rich dude’s wife who was apparently skirted away by a charismatic leader of a money-hungry cult. Misty tracks down said wife, but finds a weird silvery naked dude has taken her (hmmm…). Then there is a gun battle and a bald chick. Which leads us to issue two, Fury and Richards are butting heads, Cap is coming to grips with his mortality and Misty Knight and Captain Jean DeWolff (fresh from the pages of Ultimate Spider-Man) are hot on the trail of the bald chick (who we find out is named Heather Douglas, aka Heather Moon. Hmm…). Misty Knight gets a visit from the silvery dude, and the sh$# hits the fan, Captain America is alerted by the battle and speeds off to fight something he can finally get his hands on, and Sam Wilson (aka the Ultimate Falcon) ditches the lab coat to join him and in issue three they are jumping out of a SHIELD helicopter to put foot to a$# on said silvery dude. Cap lands shield first on the beyotch and Falcon swoops down on him and lays into him with TWO FULL MAGAZINES FROM THE TWO MP5’s HE’s CARRYING DUAL HANDED CHOW YUN FAT STYLE WORD. Of course there is more techy stuff with Reed Richards and company, Professor X makes mental contact with Galactus, and there are hints of an “Ultimate Weapon” to be used. Issue four continues with the “Ultimate Weapon” stuff with Reed blowing a few gaskets and demanding all kinds of andamantium and other techie type stuff from Nick Fury, Captain America and company are hot on the trail of the “silvery dude” and their strange cult and get a crapload of info from Heather Douglas, who is a clone of her mom (but that is really here nor there), and then Captain America and Captain Marvel capture a silvery dude and torture the living sh$# out of him. Issue five features the big finale, and well, I can’t really say anything. You are going to have to buy the damn book.

The “Ultimate Trilogy” kicks a$# in my humble opinion. It is the first big crossover of the Ultimate Universe; we got the Fantastic Four, the Ultimates, and the X-men. Captain Mahr-vell, Carol Danvers, Misty Knight, yeah, things are cooking in the Ultimate Marvel U. Cap and Falc are teaming up (did I say WORD?). Yes, there are plenty of Ultimate haters out there, fine, hate away, but this is seriously some of the best stuff to come from the house of ideas in a long, long time, and if you don’t want to pick it up, well, that’s your prerogative, but trades for Ultimate Extinction and the rest of the Ultimate Trilogy are all readily available and in print. Word.

Sam Wilson
08-31-2006, 06:28 AM
thursday morning bump...

JDH
08-31-2006, 06:42 AM
The Ultimate Galactus Trilogy - turns out you can do good limited series in the Ultimate Universe.

X-Factor, X-Factor... I'm still not decided on this one. Not sure if I like it, or if I just think I do because I was expecting to and really wanted to. Friendly Neighbourhood Spidey has had me seriously thinking Peter David might have done a Claremont...

KD, you have me concerned. UFF has so far been the best FF in years, despite the revolving door of creative talent. I didn't care too much for Carey's fill-in issues, but will give him a chance. There'll probably be another writer along in 6 or 12 issues anyway...

madjazz
08-31-2006, 07:14 AM
OK Sam. Now you have me curious to check out X-Factor. Damn you. :)

thecallahan
08-31-2006, 08:39 AM
I bought the second issue of the boys and could barely make my way through the title. I'm just not enjoying it so I might give the third issue a chance but that's it. Ahh well, I'll always have the Preacher to go back and read.

Kdawg59
08-31-2006, 09:07 AM
KD, you have me concerned. UFF has so far been the best FF in years, despite the revolving door of creative talent. I didn't care too much for Carey's fill-in issues, but will give him a chance. There'll probably be another writer along in 6 or 12 issues anyway...

I'm hopeful... it's just that he hits us 2 pages in with a slew of new characters and "who cares if you get lost we'll explain later" type of storytelling...

I love Ultimate FF... one of my fave books. I just wasn't so hot on this issue...

wktf
08-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Dawg, thanks for the props but your review is killer. Very informative and entertaining at the same time. "Mama WKTF's" boy better watch his back. :laugh:

Sam, I loved the Ultimate Extinction trade. I finally read it last weekend and what a great story. I agree with jdh, this limited series was a knock out all the way around but this final installment was the icing on the cake. The Ultimate version of the Ultimate Nulifier was just inspired and the parallel efforts of Reed and Prof X working together at the same time, with the Ultimates running interference, made this Ulimate U cross over insprired.

Damn. Wish I hadn't been on the road. Would loved to have reviewed Trials of Shazam, She-Hulk and Black Panther (or maybe All-Star Superman). Still haven't picked up my books as it is.

bat_collector
08-31-2006, 09:42 AM
I dropped Ultiamte FF this week. Too many books I wnat to read, and I felt it was time to let go. But if the series picks up, I might pick it up again.

Kdawg59
08-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Dawg, thanks for the props but your review is killer. Very informative and entertaining at the same time. "Mama WKTF's" boy better watch his back. :laugh:

Damn. Wish I hadn't been on the road. Would loved to have reviewed Trials of Shazam, She-Hulk and Black Panther (or maybe All-Star Superman). Still haven't picked up my books as it is.

Don't you worry professor...

Sam Wilson
08-31-2006, 05:40 PM
OK Sam. Now you have me curious to check out X-Factor. Damn you. :)

word madd, unlike some writers who stagnate with time, Peter David seems to grow and change up his game to keep it fresh. I think you'll be pleased with x-factor.

Sam Wilson
08-31-2006, 05:42 PM
I bought the second issue of the boys and could barely make my way through the title. I'm just not enjoying it so I might give the third issue a chance but that's it. Ahh well, I'll always have the Preacher to go back and read.

word, I understand. It's not for everyone.

jdh, joe, word on ultimate triology, obviously.

Dawg, UFF. Bah. Dead on review. jdh is right though, damn good book usually, and it 6 issues it will hopefully turn back...

XSE
09-03-2006, 01:17 AM
I agree totally on the X-Factor and Ultimate X-Men reviews two great books....I was really surprised by both....the shock ending of X-Factor (a possible traitor) and the radical recharacterization of the fuzzy elf we all know and love in the regular MU...amazing stuff!! Nice reviews!

Leon
09-03-2006, 06:46 AM
word madd, unlike some writers who stagnate with time, Peter David seems to grow and change up his game to keep it fresh.
I'm glad X-Factor finally got reviewed Sam, it's one of my favorite books.
Peter David is just an awesome writer, with a great sense of humor!

Sam Wilson
09-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I agree totally on the X-Factor and Ultimate X-Men reviews two great books....I was really surprised by both....the shock ending of X-Factor (a possible traitor) and the radical recharacterization of the fuzzy elf we all know and love in the regular MU...amazing stuff!! Nice reviews!

still a little in awe over that nightcrawler story. Hardcore man, fu$#ing hardcore.

Seamus McClernan
09-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Fantastic Four #33
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Carey
Drawn by: Pasqual Ferry

For those of you that have been living under a mushroom for the past several years Marvel has given us some of their best stories and art in the form of their Ultimate line of Books. Ultimate FF has been (along with the Ultimates) among the very best of these titles consistently every month since its inception. This month we are given the brand new creative team of Mike Carey, whom has been also writing X-Men for the past couple of months and utterly confusing the ever lovin’ snot out of me over there. And Pasqual Ferry who in my most humble opinion has one of the hardest assignments in comics… Following the footsteps of Greg Land. (Sniff Sniff… bye Greg... your style and the way you draw chicas will be missed.) We are given the first part of what will be a six issue arc.

As the book started out we are given Reed and Sue out at the mall doing some perfume shopping which makes Reed rather uncomfortable in his own shoes. I thought to myself… you and every other man pal. Especially someone who is as socially inept as poor brainiac Reed. Still he toughs it out for Sue with a smile. This was unfortunately for me the very last thing that was compelling or made any sense in this story. Mike Carey is now confusing the hell out of me on yet another of my favorite titles… That boy needs a whuppin’ from mamma WKTF’s Kitchen for starting us off and not filling in any holes until we have lost interest. Still I’m hopeful and I’m not hating. Six issues is enough time to hopefully shed some light and win me over. By page 2 we are given an introduction to a whole new set of characters who are Alien, don’t make sense, and with all the pastel-like colors was just downright hard for me to get through. We spent more time with the aliens than we ever see the FF. What’s their story and what are they about? You should all feel happy that I’m writing the review, because if you are befuddled as you read this you are not alone.

What I will say is this. There was some relief toward the end of this issue as we at least get to see the FF again. Reed being Reed and Johnny and The ever lovin’ Blue eyed Thing cracking jokes and leaving the “Big Brain” to what it is that he does while they go looking for stimulation in the form of video games. This portion of the story was my relief. So I will say that so far Carey has the characterization down. The scenes with Marvel’s royal family were the bright spot in this issue.

So hopefully this new team and new arc will build steam through these first 6 issues. Telling a story that begins all guns blazing and trying to catch the reader up as you go is not the easiest thing to do and apparently this is Mike Carey’s style of writing. I hope that the next issue helps us catch up because this is one of my favorite books every month, but this issue didn’t grab me and left me saying… “This wasn’t Ultimate FF… This was Ultimately Effing confusing…

That said… I’m still in as I dig the way he wrote the FF themselves and although Pasqual’s visual style is dramatically different from Greg’s… He still can work the panels from one to the next.

Word for asking me to fill in for Joe this week Sam. I had some tough shoes to fill with you gone bro…

I'm surprised that you didn't recognize these characters for what they were -- Marvel's 21st Century answer to the FOREVER PEOPLE, complete with "Mother Box" (Seed) and far-out, Super-cycle.

In fact, a couple of them weren't even discreetly named; DREAMCATCHER obviously being BEAUTIFUL DREAMER and MAGNIFICENT BEAST, looking all-too-much like my beloved BIG BEAR.

Listen to me now (and believe me later) this is going to mark a whole "Fourth World" thing -- introducing "Ultimate Thanos" as Marvel's version of DARKSEID.

"House of Ideas" indeed.

madjazz
09-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm surprised that you didn't recognize these characters for what they were -- Marvel's 21st Century answer to the FOREVER PEOPLE, complete with "Mother Box" (Seed) and far-out, Super-cycle.

In fact, a couple of them weren't even discreetly named; DREAMCATCHER obviously being BEAUTIFUL DREAMER and MAGNIFICENT BEAST, looking all-too-much like my beloved BIG BEAR.

Listen to me now (and believe me later) this is going to mark a whole "Fourth World" thing -- introducing "Ultimate Thanos" as Marvel's version of DARKSEID.

"House of Ideas" indeed.
Consider your club having another member. I wish Marvel would either create another Universe or dedicate the writers and artists on Ultimate books to making the existing Universe better.

Let 'em churn out 400 issues of an Ultimate title and we'll see if they are able to keep it fresh. The longer something is successful, the more likely the will eventually have to deal with continuity. In trying to bypass continuity, Marvel just shows again what we all know - the organization is getting fat and lazy, and that dieriction starts from the top.

Seamus McClernan
09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Consider your club having another member. I wish Marvel would either create another Universe or dedicate the writers and artists on Ultimate books to making the existing Universe better.

I don't believe that it's a question of necessarily making them better as opposed to making them original -- and I mean, TRULY original.

Otherwise these are merely thinly-disguised "retcons", with the Publisher in question benefiting from having you buy both "New Coke" AND "Coke Classic."

wktf
09-06-2006, 10:01 AM
I've had problems with Ultimate FF since the beginning but The Ultimates is one of my favorite titles. To your point, Seamus, though it's a revisit on existing characters, the stories have been extremely original.

Seamus McClernan
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
though it's a revisit on existing characters, the stories have been extremely original.

Why couldn't these stories have been told in the "Universe proper??"

It's like, X3 (which many among us hated), is closer to the direction I believe the 616 Universe should've taken in the early 80's. Xavier should be dead, Scott should be running the school and the 1st group of NEW MUTANTS should be the current X-MEN -- with some of them either having died or getting ready to retire at this point.
To me, that's the "Ultimate" experience -- real life.

That's why I enjoy THE ULTIMATES too, it seems painfully real.
Although I think alot of that quality will go out-the-door when Brian Hitch leaves.

But getting back to my original point -- you guys DO see the "Forever People" thing, right?
I'm not crazy??

wktf
09-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Seamus, I'm not reading Ultimate FF so I can't comment. Maybe someone else can. As for the headline of your last post, of course that WAS the point. In my post I actually said "to your point, Seamus." Did I miss something?

wktf
09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Since we're about to move into the new reviews, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the "Beauty and the Behemoth" trade book. Some great Hulk storis and a powerful theme throughout the book. Final plug.

melike
09-08-2006, 07:56 AM
So wait - Sooks back on X-Factor. I though the left after issue 4 or something. Wasnt Martinex supposed to be on? If this is true i'll def pick it up..

JDH
09-08-2006, 08:07 AM
So wait - Sooks back on X-Factor. I though the left after issue 4 or something. Wasnt Martinex supposed to be on? If this is true i'll def pick it up..

Martinex? Isn't he a Guardian of the Galaxy?:)

madjazz
09-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Good call

melike
09-09-2006, 01:01 AM

Bah. Martinez...
:redface: