PDA

View Full Version : What is Everyone Reading (Books)?

wktf
08-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Not comics but books. I'm a pretty avid reader and mix it up pretty good across history, classics, current novels, etc.

Right now I'm reading "Marley & Me" which is hysterically funny and touching all at the same time, "Hustler Days" which is a really cool history of pool hustlers going back to the 1920s, and HG Well's "The Island of Dr. Moreau" which I just started (I've read a bunch of Well's work but not this story).

stormshadow007
08-31-2006, 03:20 PM
I just finished reading the recent book from Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, "Dense Macabre" and the prequel, "Micah"...

Anita Blake, the protagonist, is a necromancer/vampire executioner who has formed a triumvate with a master vampire and lead werewolf...the first books in the series were pretty cool but after that, Hamilton started adding more sex orgies in the plot...but overall it's an excellent read, plenty of shapeshifters (i.e. werelion, werehyena, wererats, wereleopard, etc.) and all sorts of monster baddies...

kirthew
08-31-2006, 03:32 PM
I am reading the Dresden Files right now... by Jim Butcher...

Dresden is a Wizard in Chicago with an ad in the Yellow Pages pimping his services as finder of things extroidare...

Great series... has vampires, werewolves, faries and sex... just a really good romp... Funny and entertaining...

Zurbaran1
08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
George R.R. Martin Song of Ice and Fire series. Just finished the first book Game of Thrones and have started the second Clash of Kings. Outstanding. Martin has been called the American Tolkien.

JLM
08-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Just started "Le Morte D'Arthur", having given up on "The Secret Agent" by Joseph Conrad. That's only the second book I've ever given up on.

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 03:39 PM
i just finished the hobbit again, and im reading choke by chuck palahniuk..man that guy is sick

Zurbaran1
08-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Just started "Le Morte D'Arthur", having given up on "The Secret Agent" by Joseph Conrad. That's only the second book I've ever given up on.

The first being? :stick:

Kirk Durfey
08-31-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm reading Daredevil : Predator's Smile by Christopher Golden

I just can't seem to get away from comics :laugh:

Relic Reaper
08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey wktf, my wife is reading "Marley and Me"...she loves it! I'll probably read it after she's done. Right now I'm reading the most recent Star Wars novel from the Legacy of the Force series called "Betrayal." I'd like to read a good fantast novel after I'm done with SW.
I take it you recommend the Fire and Ice series, Zurb?

JLM
08-31-2006, 03:43 PM
The first being? :stick:

Frankenstein!! :D

JLM
08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
i just finished the hobbit again, and im reading choke by chuck palahniuk..man that guy is sick

Have you read "Lullaby"?

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 03:48 PM
yeah about the african childrens song right? ive read it a while ago, i think thats the first one of his books i read.. that was a good one.

Zurbaran1
08-31-2006, 03:50 PM

Highly.

Eye of Agamotto
08-31-2006, 03:59 PM
On the road: Jack Kerouac.

Re-read this weekend Kafka's metamorphosis

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
George R.R. Martin Song of Ice and Fire series. Just finished the first book Game of Thrones and have started the second Clash of Kings. Outstanding. Martin has been called the American Tolkien.

zurb, do they sell these as a set?

Zurbaran1
08-31-2006, 04:05 PM
zurb, do they sell these as a set?

Not that I am aware of. He hasn't even finished writing them yet. The forth one came out in 2005. I don't recall how many there will be in the entire series; 5 or 6 I think.

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 04:06 PM
nice, that means that when im your age this will be considered a classic lol :laugh:

thats for the caruso pic lol

Zurbaran1
08-31-2006, 04:09 PM
nice, that means that when im your age this will be considered a classic lol :laugh:

thats for the caruso pic lol

Thanks? and this is how you treat me? Hook me up with 2 Avenue Q tickets and we're good again. :)

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks and this is how you treat me? Hook me up with 2 Avenue Q tickets and we're good again. :)
i was waiting to see banned under my name lol ..how about an avenue q playbill?

NovaKane
08-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Not comics but books. I'm a pretty avid reader and mix it up pretty good across history, classics, current novels, etc.

Right now I'm reading "Marley & Me" which is hysterically funny and touching all at the same time, "Hustler Days" which is a really cool history of pool hustlers going back to the 1920s, and HG Well's "The Island of Dr. Moreau" which I just started (I've read a bunch of Well's work but not this story).I just finished Terry Pratchett's Thud! (http://www.amazon.com/Thud-Novel-Discworld-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0060815221/sr=8-2/qid=1157054656/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-0853418-3047327?ie=UTF8&s=books), one of the latest Discworld novels. Next up, I'm thinking maybe Peter David's Sir Apropos of Nothing (Book 3): Tong Lashing (http://www.amazon.com/Tong-Lashing-Apropos-Nothing-Book/dp/0743449134/sr=1-1/qid=1157054978/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0853418-3047327?ie=UTF8&s=books) or Tim Power's latest novel, Three Days To Never (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/102-0853418-3047327?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Tim+Powers&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go).

Zurbaran1
08-31-2006, 04:14 PM
i was waiting to see banned under my name lol

Not going to happen. We don't play around with that.

..how about an avenue q playbill?

Gee, don't put yourself out now.

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Not going to happen. We don't play around with that.

Gee, don't put yourself out now.

yeah i know u wouldnt ban me for no reason even though i started a thread about david caruso :confused2
dude that playbill is worth millions..its the chrome gold exclusive variant chalice edition playbill. i think its even printed with the blood of virgins..but i guess ill keep it for myself. :laugh:

Zurbaran1
08-31-2006, 04:24 PM
yeah i know u wouldnt ban me for no reason even though i started a thread about david caruso :confused2
dude that playbill is worth millions..its the chrome gold exclusive variant chalice edition playbill. i think its even printed with the blood of virgins..but i guess ill keep it for myself. :laugh:

Keep the playbill and send me some of what you are smoking. That will work.

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Keep the playbill and send me some of what you are smoking. That will work.

lol im always down to share :laugh:

Daywalker
08-31-2006, 04:32 PM
im currently reading game of shadows ( the book written by the san fran reporters about the steriod investigation of bonds and BALCO )

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 04:34 PM
im currently reading game of shadows ( the book written by the san fran reporters about the steriod investigation of bonds and BALCO )

how do you like it?

massf
08-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Currently reading Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman (for the 2nd time.....)

Daywalker
08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
how do you like it?
intresting - only problem is they refuse to publically say who their sources are so it leaves some lvl of skeptibility to their claims but for the most part its intresting

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 04:54 PM
intresting - only problem is they refuse to publically say who their sources are so it leaves some lvl of skeptibility to their claims but for the most part its intresting

yeah i guess they cant reaveal them for judicial reasons.. how bad do they trash bonds.. what other players are in the book or do they not name players at all.

Parky
08-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Re-reading Legend by David Gemmell

Deadpool
08-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Just finished The Professor,The Banker, & The Suicide King (Story of Texas Tycoon Andy Beal & High Stakes Poker games against the Pros), Recently started Eragon which my Fiancee read a while back, and it is great so far!

Sam Wilson
08-31-2006, 05:55 PM

Right now I'm reading "Marley & Me" which is hysterically funny and touching all at the same time, "Hustler Days" which is a really cool history of pool hustlers going back to the 1920s, and HG Well's "The Island of Dr. Moreau" which I just started (I've read a bunch of Well's work but not this story).

my wife read that marley book brah. Word. I'm reading John Updike's new book, "Terrorist".

sellin71
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
I am reading two currently. Moby D!ck and The Moon Pool.

NovaKane
08-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Currently reading Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman (for the 2nd time.....)That's a great trilogy (or quartet, I guess, if you count the novella "Lyra's Oxford") as you already know, if you're re-reading it! I'm looking forward to the supplemental stuff in his forthcoming The Book of Dust (http://www.bridgetothestars.net/index.php?p=bookofdust) (if it ever gets finished :banghead: )

The Watcher
08-31-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm currently reading a (paperback) book called Arrogance by Bernie Goldberg.

Tony Coca
08-31-2006, 06:16 PM
BOOKS!!!!

Hell its hard enough reading these threads.

RichBamf
08-31-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm reading Milton's-'Paradise Lost', I just finished Dante's 'Divine Comedy' so it was a natural progression, plus P.Lost is giving me some great inspiration for the comicbook I'm writing.

I'm going on holiday so I'm packing about four books to take.

In Cold Blood
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat
It
and either Helter Skelter or Labyrinth.

All light reading :laugh:

Babytoxie
08-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban. Set in a verrrrrrrrry post-apocalyptic, back-to-iron-age England, where technology has become a legend that is blurred with the story of St. Eustace of Canterbury. A very bizarre work that is written in a dense, heavily altered version of English.

sincity
08-31-2006, 06:31 PM
just finished term limits by vince flynn
going to start transfer of power also by flynn
ToP introduces flynn's main guy Mitch Rapp should be a good read
if flynn can advise on 24 i think he can right a decent story

abarron
08-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Just finished River God by Wilbur Smith and am now onto The Ultramarines Omnibus by Graham Mcneil.

Really like River God and bought it after reading Pharoh. Thought it ended kinda quickly though.

Ultramarines isn't as good as i thought it would be but will see if it gets better as i am only half way through the second book. Hopefully a big finale

armitage
08-31-2006, 10:03 PM
I started reading this month's issue of Juggs!
It was so intriguing I just couldn't put it down (of course it was stuck to hand) :laugh:

But in all seriousness I have been reading books like Art of War by SunTzu
and 365 Tao Daily Meditations.
I like Eastern Philosophy- although I can't understand most of it.

Rogue
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
I've been reading the "Dark Tower" novels by Stephen King. I just finished reading "From a Buick 8", "Desperation" and "The Regulators" by Stephen King too. I love horror and fantasy novels. :D

devlinboy
08-31-2006, 10:11 PM
I've been reading the "Dark Tower" novels by Stephen King. I just finished reading "From a Buick 8", "Desperation" and "The Regulators" by Stephen King too. I love horror and fantasy novels. :D

yeah these books are good :thumbs2:

Rogue
08-31-2006, 10:23 PM
yeah these books are good :thumbs2:
I also love to read Anne Rice novels and the "Elric" novels by Michael Moore****. :D

Teague
08-31-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm reading Tom Legendre's new book "The Burning", not only because it's a great read, but because he's a friend of mine from grad school. Great guy, great first novel.

And hey, my novel is coming out late November. I'll let you all know when it does...if I can. Is that against forum rules?

mwf6171
08-31-2006, 11:37 PM
The Zen Commandments...............can't think of the author at the moment..........book is in the other room and I am too damned lazy to walk in there.

:D

rychehitman
08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
I also love to read Anne Rice novels and the "Elric" novels by Michael Moore****. :D

Michael Moored.ick, or Michael Moorec.ock?? :eek:

Boerboel
09-01-2006, 01:11 AM
I just finished Angels and Demons tonight and The Da Vinci Code right before that. I enjoyed both of them.

JM28Cardiff
09-01-2006, 03:50 AM
I'm reading "A Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's Perfumer" by Elisabeth de Feydeau-I have eclectic tastes!

massf
09-01-2006, 03:56 AM
That's a great trilogy (or quartet, I guess, if you count the novella "Lyra's Oxford") as you already know, if you're re-reading it! I'm looking forward to the supplemental stuff in his forthcoming The Book of Dust (http://www.bridgetothestars.net/index.php?p=bookofdust) (if it ever gets finished :banghead: )
Actually I didn't realise there was a fourth book!!!! I'll have to keep an eye out for that. (see how slow I am!!!!!)

Zurbaran1
09-01-2006, 08:38 AM
And hey, my novel is coming out late November. I'll let you all know when it does...if I can. Is that against forum rules?

No, we can definitely let that one slide. :)

Relic Reaper
09-01-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm reading Tom Legendre's new book "The Burning", not only because it's a great read, but because he's a friend of mine from grad school. Great guy, great first novel.

Very cool! Congrats and keep us posted! :buttrock:

Teague
09-01-2006, 12:26 PM
No, we can definitely let that one slide. :)

Cool, thanks Zurb! :)

And I will, Relic. It won't be available on Amazon (or in local bookstores) until late November, but I'll be doing book tour for a lot of the fall. But I'll keep y'all posted for sure!

devlinboy
09-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Cool, thanks Zurb! :)

And I will, Relic. It won't be available on Amazon (or in local bookstores) until late November, but I'll be doing book tour for a lot of the fall. But I'll keep y'all posted for sure!

thats awesome teague what type of novel is it?(did i miss that already)

kirthew
09-01-2006, 01:14 PM

That was my question as well...

bat_collector
09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Already dead by Huston, thnks to a rec by wktf

bigjohn550
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Star War Legacy of the Force :Bloodlines

bigjohn550
09-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey wktf, my wife is reading "Marley and Me"...she loves it! I'll probably read it after she's done. Right now I'm reading the most recent Star Wars novel from the Legacy of the Force series called "Betrayal." I'd like to read a good fantast novel after I'm done with SW.
Actually Bloodlines is the most recent. Its the sequel to Betrayal and it just came out on Tuesday.

Rogue
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Michael Moored.ick, or Michael Moorec.ock?? :eek:
I spelled it right, but it came out censored!

Zurbaran1
09-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I spelled it right, but it came out censored!

Automated forum software Ms. Pottymouth. :)

Rogue
09-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Automated forum software Ms. Pottymouth. :)
:eek: That really is the authors name! :D

and that's Mrs. Pottymouth to you! LOL! :rolleyes2

Teague
09-01-2006, 05:07 PM

It's general fiction, called "The Pull of the Earth". Your basic stab at the great American novel. Takes place in Illinois farmland from the 1930s through the late 80s. Tough to explain, really, but a good read, if I do say so myself.

And I was able to slip in a few small bits about Superman and Captain America! :D

Zurbaran1
09-01-2006, 05:13 PM
:eek: That really is the authors name! :D

I knew that, I'm familiar with his work. But the forum software cares not,

and that's Mrs. Pottymouth to you! LOL! :rolleyes2

Sorry. Thought you might be one of those modern women types :)

devlinboy
09-01-2006, 05:17 PM
It's general fiction, called "The Pull of the Earth". Your basic stab at the great American novel. Takes place in Illinois farmland from the 1930s through the late 80s. Tough to explain, really, but a good read, if I do say so myself.

And I was able to slip in a few small bits about Superman and Captain America! :D

im picturing captain america tilling fields lol
i will pick this up though, its always cool to see a forum member get his work published.

CocoPUFF
09-01-2006, 11:20 PM
I am reading Book 11 of the Wheel of time again (Knife of Dreams)....Gotta love this series...can't wait for the twelfth and final book!! Giving myself a refresher so I can be ready when Book 12 comes out! I'm a huge Robert Jordan fan!! :buttrock:

I'm actually surprised no one here mentioned Robert Jordan...

Logan
09-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Screenwriter's Bible by David Trottier, very VERY informative.

wktf
09-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm reading Milton's-'Paradise Lost', I just finished Dante's 'Divine Comedy' so it was a natural progression, plus P.Lost is giving me some great inspiration for the comicbook I'm writing.

I'm going on holiday so I'm packing about four books to take.

In Cold Blood
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat
It
and either Helter Skelter or Labyrinth.

All light reading :laugh:
Rich, I wrote my senior thesis on Paradise Lost.

wktf
09-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Already dead by Huston, thnks to a rec by wktf
LMK what you think, bats. Not high literature but a fun, quick read for me.

wktf
09-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Hey wktf, my wife is reading "Marley and Me"...she loves it!
RR, my wife read "Marly and Me" first as well. I'm reading her copy now. Between you, me and Sam it may be that that's how us guys end up with that book. :inquisiti

pablocruze
09-03-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm reading Daredevil : Predator's Smile by Christopher Golden

I just can't seem to get away from comics :laugh:

I finished that one about a month ago!!!! Not bad...not bad.

pablocruze
09-03-2006, 02:29 AM
I just finished Exact Revenge by Tim Green and The Rebel:Johnny Yuma (Can't remember the author but he worked as a scriptwriter on the original TV series starring Nick Adams...this was the first western I've ever read)...just before that I finished The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly...also San Francisco's Lost Landmarks by James R. Smith and Murder by the Bay by Charles F. Adams

Kirk Durfey
09-03-2006, 02:30 AM
I finished that one about a month ago!!!! Not bad...not bad.
Yeah, I've got a whole stack of those Marvel novels. Some are definitely better than others...

pablocruze
09-03-2006, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I've got a whole stack of those Marvel novels. Some are definitely better than others...

Today I started BATMAN: No Man's Land by Greg Rucka...only 6 pages so far, but seems exceptionally well written for a superhero novel. Last year I read a JLA paperback and the only reason I finished it was that I had started it..the plot was weak at best and the writing less than juvenile...your average comic is written at a much higher level.

wktf
09-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Today I started BATMAN: No Man's Land by Greg Rucka...only 6 pages so far, but seems exceptionally well written for a superhero novel. Last year I read a JLA paperback and the only reason I finished it was that I had started it..the plot was weak at best and the writing less than juvenile...your average comic is written at a much higher level.
Pablo, this is a good one. My wife bought it for me and, to date, it is the best superhero novel I've read.

rric528
09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Last year I read a JLA paperback and the only reason I finished it was that I had started it..

I have the same problem. If I start a book, I need to finish it, no matter how bad it gets.

Also read "No Man's Land", very good.

Stay far away from the Crisis on Mutiple Earths novel...BLAH!