PDA

View Full Version : BD Hawkeye vs. HH Hawkeye vs. MU Hawkeye

GoldNova
09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Okay Guys,

With the release of BD's Hawkeye, we have three relatively new Hawkeye statues circulating on the market. Does anyone out there own all three? Which one do you like the best?

I'm also curious to know if they are all similar in scale.

I am anticipating I may not get my pre-ordered BD Hawkeye. And if that does come to pass, I was wondering if I would break from tradition and snatch up the MU or HH statues this time instead. But I have no avenue to compare them side by side to really determine which one is best. Nor can I tell if there are scale issues. Because I typically collect BD, I want the scale to be on a par. Many HH statues tend to be larger than BD. Is that again the case? And what of the MU statue. Is it similar in scale; larger?; smaller?

And please don't give me the usual line of "Buy the one you like best". Because that's the point of this query. Without seeing them side by side, its tough for me to tell. I will confess though that I am leaning toward either the BD or MU versions. I like the base on both, and I like the inclusion of Ant-Man on Hawkeye's arrow.

hawkeyethearcher
09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/betaray38/hawks.jpg

these were posted on another thread.

my opinion is the HH one is the best for your buck. there are great things about all of them and you could nit pick about something here and there. the HH one is just hawkeye. nothing to distract you. a great pose. easy to display on any shelf. the bowen one is visually spectacular. the base. the color. the pose. you might not want him displayed to high on a shelf though because of the pose facing up. the diamond select has great nostalgia with the ant-man arrow. i am not crazy about the translation of comic art straight to sculptures though. the artist did draw the mask a little different than you would usually see it in comics.

Tetragrammaton
09-01-2006, 01:47 PM
If I was getting only one, it would be the Bowen. Flashiest paint, good pose, and great (if a little too busy) base.

moon_knight1971
09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm personally getting the DST version. Hawkeyethearcher points out some of what I don't like about the other 2. HHs version is the largest but has the worst base of the 3 and very large hands. Scale is an issue too since I have mostly BD FS. BDs version has the best base & paint job but I don't like the tilting up position so it becomes a display issue. I also worry about breakage regarding the sword and ankles. DST offers a very simple yet classic take on Hawkeye. I plan on repainting the bow and building up the base about an inch before I display him.

Ghost
09-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I agree with Tet, but I have to say DST's is the better sculpt. Now add that with the paints and base of Bowen's and you got a winner. HH's reminds me of Beast. Hands almost bigger then his head.

hawkeyethearcher
09-01-2006, 02:30 PM
well we were helpfull :laugh:

riderV3
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Love the BD one, the paint is simply the best, the pose is awesome and the base is outstanding. :buttrock:

devlinboy
09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
my favorite is the hh one. i think it is the best looking and i love the paint apps. i dont think the hands are too large either.

bat_collector
09-01-2006, 02:56 PM
All have their problems. I think the bowen has the most problems with it: anatomy, display-ability, breakage, and a gimmicky base. HH is love/hate for most collectors. DST has way too simple of a base and some anatomy issues of its own.

However, I choose DST's version. Less is more with this piece, and I love the ant-man on the arrow tip. A gimmick? Yes, but at least I can fully appreciate it while posing the statue normally. And it displays well with other bowen statues.

Ghost
09-01-2006, 02:59 PM
my favorite is the hh one. i think it is the best looking and i love the paint apps. i dont think the hands are too large either.

Paints look too flat. Looks way unfinished. Still got those banana hands though :p

rxj71
09-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I got the BD one this week. While people have mentioned the ankle issue, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the bow - the top part of the bow has an almost 90 degree to where he is holding the hand, while the bottom part of the bow doesn't. I'm not an archer, but I've never seen an bow like that. I still like the statue though!

Rome
09-01-2006, 03:26 PM
I choose the Bowen one over the others. But as someone else said, they each have their plus and minus.
I like the DST pose the best out of all three. I agree that less is more here.
Next the HH pose and last the Bowen pose. The bowen pose would have been much better if he was aiming straight forward like the others and the line of sight was better connected with his eyes.
IOW, down and to the right,..down and to the right.
having said that I think that of all three, the BD one has the sharper better sculpting. the paint also makes it stand out. It has a sense of higher quality to it over the others. It's almost like comparing Byrne's art to a not so popular artist. it's just overall sharper.
so BD gets my vote.

lord odin
09-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I have the Bowen and Hard Hero and i`ll be getting the DST when it ships but going by the pics the DST looks the best.
Going by the two that I have now my favorite is the Hard Hero i`m going to sell the Bowen even though it has a nice paint job.

tyler
09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
The BD one is the best, in my opinion. The MU one looks nice too though. The HH one is garbage -- the base looks like it belongs in a dime-store junk box.

Ink
09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
I have the BD one & that's all I need. HH's looks like he's standing on a lump of mashed potatoes & the DST one is just way too plain

Bullseye
09-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I think DST's pose is the best. With a little work on the base its easily the best.

bat_collector
09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
I think DST's pose is the base. With a little work on the base its easily the best.
Unfortantely DST sometimes uses this overly simplistic bases. Namor and the Brood Wolverine also suffer from this. I really think all three companies at least came out with Hawekeyes (and Namor's too) that made people happy.

I think the Milestone Ironman did a better job getting a more interesting base.

Bullseye
09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't mind the simple base just the Avengers on the top. Make the base twice as deep and it would fit in very will with Bowens scale.

Parky
09-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Pose: HH (pointing in the right direction)
Sculpture: BD (very good sculpt)
Paints: BD (Just like it better)
Base: HH (Nice and simple, not fussy)

Overall I'd give BD the edge based on the sculpt. so:

1)BD
2)HH
3)DST

Gianco
09-01-2006, 04:23 PM
BD Hawkeye has gloves and the other 2 don´t?! I´m not very familiar with the character. :o

GoldNova
09-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Some very good suggestions and recommendations. Thanks for the comments.

And thanks in particular to HawkeyetheArcher for supplying the pics. It really helps to compare them. Especially with respect to scale. As I expected, the DST one is the smallest. Could I bother you to ask how the DST Hawkeye compares in size with one of BD's shorter statues like Magneto or Cyclops? No need for a scan. Just a comment would do.

Thanks.

loricstone
09-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Paints look too flat. Looks way unfinished. Still got those banana hands though :p

Is that your opinion based on pictures? I promise you, the paint application is right on the money. Pictures don't do some statues justice. HH Hawkeye is one of them. What pisses me off about the DST and HH statues are the lack of arrows in his pack. That's it! As a matter of fact, I would go on to say HH is the most realistic paint app of the three. JMO.

loricstone
09-01-2006, 06:26 PM
I have the BD one & that's all I need. HH's looks like he's standing on a lump of mashed potatoes & the DST one is just way too plain

What kind of potatoes do you eat? Uggh! :puke2:

devlinboy
09-01-2006, 06:27 PM

personally i like the flat paints it reminds me of the comic book pages before they switched to the glossy format..
yeah i do think the hands are large it just doesnt bother me at all.. people have never remarked about them though when they see it on display at my house which i find odd.

vetteman
09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
The BD one is the best, in my opinion. The MU one looks nice too though. The HH one is garbage -- the base looks like it belongs in a dime-store junk box.
:laugh: That's one way of puting it. As with most other people on here, I think the DST one is by far the best.

Teague
09-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I like the sculpt on the DST, but that base really kills it for me. Also, the scale doesn't work for my display needs.

The HH has some great points to it, but again the base ruins it. I think it looks unfinished and oddly cartoony. Most importantly, it looks plastic, like some barely-scultped Star Wars playset rock or something. Whatever you call it, the base really does a disservice to the rest of the piece. I don't mind the ham-fists so much, though. All in all, not HH's best offering, but solid.

The BD piece has some sculpting issues that have been hammered into the ground, so I won't go into them again. (I hadn't noticed the bow thing, though...) But all in all, Bowen's has the right scale, an interesting base (if too busy--in that, I agree with Tet, though I do admire the inventiveness of suggesting a story in the base-sculpt!), good color, and an overall impressive look.

So it's BD for me. But I think all of them have great points. I can see the DST being someone's favorite if they don't mind the scale issue, especially.

devlinboy
09-01-2006, 06:59 PM

i dont get how its garbage though? werent you getting all uptight when people bashed the bd hawkeye ?(sorry tlyer i confused you with your brother) i buy statues from all co. so i m not playing favorites i just think that the base should not stop you from buying a statue..if the rocks bother you that much you should put a quick wash on it to darken it. the base is an easy fix imo an ankle is not. and before you say im an hhnoser my favorite statue the chrome ss comes from bowen.

devlinboy
09-01-2006, 07:03 PM
when hard hero is all said and done with their avengers lineup i dont think anyone is going to notice the rocks

Dante
09-01-2006, 07:24 PM
BD Hawkeye has gloves and the other 2 don´t?! I´m not very familiar with the character. :o

That kinda bothered me too, and I'm surprised (given the nits that have been picked about this statue) that we haven't heard more folks comment on it. I've seen Hawkeye with gloves before, but not with this costume. I think his WCA days had him in a slightly different outfit, with long purple gloves.

Given my druthers, I'd have wished for Randy to keep Clint's hands bare, but it's a very minor gripe.

galactus
09-01-2006, 07:43 PM
I think the main difference between Bowen and all of the others (and I suppose this pertains to all of Bowens pieces) is that Bowens, IMO, represent what that character would look like in real life, while HH and DST try to literally represent the character as seen on the comic page. This is why Bowens paint jobs try to be a little more "lifelike" in their shading while HH and DST have a flatter paint scheme.

I suppose a lot of this boils down to how you like the characters represented.

devlinboy
09-01-2006, 07:57 PM
I think the main difference between Bowen and all of the others (and I suppose this pertains to all of Bowens pieces) is that Bowens, IMO, represent what that character would look like in real life, while HH and DST try to literally represent the character as seen on the comic page. This is why Bowens paint jobs try to be a little more "lifelike" in their shading while HH and DST have a flatter paint scheme.

i think that is a fair statement

bat_collector
09-01-2006, 07:59 PM
when hard hero is all said and done with their avengers lineup i dont think anyone is going to notice the rocks
I think the base argument is odd since most of the bowen early bases are pretty basic.

devlinboy
09-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I think the base argument is odd since most of the bowen early bases are pretty basic.

thats true too, i guess to each his own, i think a little bit of courtesy goes a long way..im basically sick of all the b(*chin with no constuctive thoughts..and im sure i may be guilty of bashing myself. from now on though ill think before i type

HalJordanFan
09-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd never thought I'd say this, but I like the DST version the best. I was planning on getting the BD one, but after seeing them next to each other I feel that the display on the BD is too hard and also breakage is another factor. I'm not feeling the HH statue. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like it. And the DST while very plain and simplistic is IMO the best one.

SirConor
09-01-2006, 10:06 PM
HH has the worst base ever! Looks like a rough block of plastic, I don't think any effort was put into the base there. The other two hawkeyes outshine the HH one for this reason alone (at least the flat nothing-base of the DST was done so purposefully).

I think the DST character sculpt is fantastic. Bowen's pose and paints are the best. I can't really give the HH credit for having any particular aspect that is better than either of the other two - unless you like maquette-ish looking statues.

Meteor Man
09-01-2006, 10:47 PM
I got the BD Hawkeye.... :thumbs2:

Devils Drifter
09-02-2006, 12:38 AM
I plan to get the Bowen Hawkeye. The other 2 sculpts don't really do it for me and I actually prefer when the base adds a little something extra to the main sculpt.

- DD

ickwinzs
09-02-2006, 12:41 AM
I have all 3 and definetly think the HH one is far and away better than the other 2, I don't care for the lifeless paints on the dst statue or the shiney colors or the pose on the bd one. plus the 1/6 scale of the HH piece is more appealing to myself.

The Fog
09-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Can the arrow on the DST version come off, that would be great on my BD Hawkeye.
HH version if you like it great for you, the DST is better than I thought it would be,but,well, it's just, well I have the BD version, busy base, but then people don't like a flat base either, paint and finish is better than either of the other offering's.
Once again make mine Bowen, then DST, and HH.
I'm no resin pimp so I'll have to wait for the official word.

abmarv
09-02-2006, 02:10 AM

I completely agree. I really like this piece - great John Buscema influence.

chromesamurai
09-02-2006, 02:43 AM
We have the Bowen and the DST ones at the shop at the moment. I find the paint on the DST one a little lacking in places, and I am questioning the decision to make his quiver empty. Seems odd. Also, the Ant-Man on the arrow, while a cool touch, was apparently too small for them to do decent details or colors on. But it is a very nice, basic, no-frills Hawkeye.

The Bowen one looks great, the base is sweet and the pose is very dynamic. Paint apps are top. The foot doesn't bother me, especially since I proved it possible in other threads, :eplus2: but it may bug some people.

The Hard Hero one I think looks great, except for the rock base. Thanks to the paint on that, it looks like he's standing on big, fake, plastic rocks. The sculpt was sufficient, but the paint was just slapped on the base and looks a tad crappy to me. It would bug me. I think as HH makes more stuff, we'll see less of that, though. The figure itself, though, reminds me why HH is stepping up the game nicely. They've been consistently good. Oh, and their larger scale is somewhat appealing. I like big statues, myself. Looks impressive.

lord odin
09-02-2006, 02:46 AM
Same here.

Force of Nature
09-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi guys,

I am not a die-hard Hawkeye fan to be honest with you but personally I like the BD version the best. It looks flashy and dynamic with nice colours and a true action pose of a hero doing what he does best.
The DST version is wat too simplistic for me. I know, I know, less is more but this is just one of the cases in which that saying simply misses the mark (no pun intended :-)
The HH version is OK but nothing more than that.

Just my two cents though!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!

Doctor Pym
09-02-2006, 11:31 PM
I have the Hard Hero and BD versions.

It's strange that so many people are belly-aching about the oversized hands on HH Hawkeye (a self-acknowledged aspect of Seth's style; Cap is the same), but no one seems to mind that BD's Hawkeye has forearms that are bigger around than his head. Yeah, I know... a longbow takes muscle to use, but Hawkeye shouldn't look like a Mr. Universe-wannabe. That's just too much beef.

Color goofs aside (the Black Knight's blade should be BLACK, and Wonder Man's glasses should be red), the finish on the Bowen Hawkeye is the best of the three (although mine has small nicks and indentations—under the paint—just above his eyes... anyone else got that? Was it molded that way?) The too-busy base nevertheless makes a perfect complement to the classic Black Panther.

But of the two, the Hard Hero is my favorite. Great pose, large scale... it really draws the eye, and holds it.

I couldn't care less about the rocks on the base, except that it's cool that HH has all the core Avengers on bases that look like they're in the same scene. With Iron Man and Hercules soon to be added to the line-up, that's going to be one Hell of a display.

Bottom line... if you have a lot of Bowen FS statues, go with the BD Hawkeye. Bbut if you don't, consider the HH. You won't be sorry.

devlinboy
09-02-2006, 11:35 PM
well said ,well said the scale is appealing to me too

Meteor Man
09-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi guys,

I am not a die-hard Hawkeye fan to be honest with you but personally I like the BD version the best. It looks flashy and dynamic with nice colours and a true action pose of a hero doing what he does best.
The DST version is wat too simplistic for me. I know, I know, less is more but this is just one of the cases in which that saying simply misses the mark (no pun intended :-)
The HH version is OK but nothing more than that.

Just my two cents though!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!

YEAH BABY........JUGGERNAUT!!!!!!!!! :eplus2:

Batwing
09-04-2006, 02:43 AM

This is the best opinion in the whole thread.

BD's is realistic; HH is very John Buscema; DST's is very John Byrne/George Perez.

Hawkeye's one of my favourite Avengers and I am tempted to get all 3 (I have the BD and DST so far). All three have imperfections* but I think all three are still great representations of the character.

HH --hands are large, proportionately speaking; empty quiver!

BD --The arrow is not easy to nock on the left side of the bow where it should be; busy base (and yes, the Black Knight's sword is BLACK and Wonderman's shades are red); and Hawkeye doesn't have gloves in this version of his costume.

DST --plain and a little too big a base; empty quiver!

Oh, the arrow on ALL THREE statues are much longer than their quivers. What gives?!

Predator
09-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Hard Hero wins hands down. The base is plain, but I dont collect bases, I collect statues. This is in line with the rest of the Avengers statues as they are meant to be displayed together. I didnt hear any complaints about Iron Mans base when the pics were shown. Seth is a master of anatomy in my opinion, just look at his Namor and Conan statues, they speak for themselves. As for his big hands, these are super heroes. You gotta have big mits when your throwin down with guys like Ultron. My Grandfather has bigger paws than I do, and Im almost a foot taller than he is. So dont feed me the his hands are too big bull, Im not buying it. The Hard Hero has a better pose, better sculpt, better face and bigger size. And if you think Im bashing the other two, think again. I own 20 or so Bowen FS and I will probably pick up Bowens Hawkeye later on. After seeing the Bowen in person, I say that Hard Hero is the better statue. If you collect bases, buy the Bowen. If you collect statues, buy the Hard Hero Hawkeye!

P.S. Wait till Sideshow does Hawkeye in Premium Format! :buttrock:

lord odin
09-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Hard Hero wins hands down. The base is plain, but I dont collect bases, I collect statues. This is in line with the rest of the Avengers statues as they are meant to be displayed together. I didnt hear any complaints about Iron Mans base when the pics were shown. Seth is a master of anatomy in my opinion, just look at his Namor and Conan statues, they speak for themselves. As for his big hands, these are super heroes. You gotta have big mits when your throwin down with guys like Ultron. My Grandfather has bigger paws than I do, and Im almost a foot taller than he is. So dont feed me the his hands are too big bull, Im not buying it. The Hard Hero has a better pose, better sculpt, better face and bigger size. And if you think Im bashing the other two, think again. I own 20 or so Bowen FS and I will probably pick up Bowens Hawkeye later on. After seeing the Bowen in person, I say that Hard Hero is the better statue. If you collect bases, buy the Bowen. If you collect statues, buy the Hard Hero Hawkeye!

P.S. Wait till Sideshow does Hawkeye in Premium Format! :buttrock:
I hope it`s soon. :buttrock:

Dante
09-04-2006, 09:17 PM
So dont feed me the his hands are too big bull, Im not buying it. The Hard Hero has a better pose, better sculpt, better face and bigger size.

...but they are too big.

Oh, and no, no, no and...oh yeah...no.

massf
09-05-2006, 03:39 AM
I've found this to be a very useful thread. I was having 2nd thoughts about picking up the HH hawkeye but I think I'll go for it now thanks to the comments and the comparison pics.

IMO although BD has a better paintjob, the HH is more simplistic. It doesn't try and do too much in terms of paintjob, base etc. They've focused mainly on the sculpt and formed the rest around that, and that's why I like it. The BD one, although nice as well, tries too hard with the base and pose and that's what puts me off it.

Def the HH version for me I feel.

Caniac78
09-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I just got my bowen hawkeye and I have to say that it is the best Hawkeye by far. Not only is it any inspiring pose the base is beyond belief.

Uncle Jake
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM
HH - plain sux.

DST - get rid of the lame Ant-Man and you've got a decent statue.

Bowen- No doubt the best. But I would have preferred a pose like the DST.

If I get the Bowen Statue, it is only to cut in half and customize a MB!!!

devlinboy
09-06-2006, 03:30 AM
HH - plain sux.

bro,that is so far off.you may not like it but it captures the comic book feel perfectly.he was a comic character not a real person. to say it sucks is just childish

massf
09-06-2006, 04:36 AM
I agree with Devlinboy here

The only thing that may detract from the HH version is the base, however isn't a rock supposed to look plain????

The pose is dead on for me and the size is pretty cool too. Although I prefer it over the over 2 versions they are all good in their own respect, IMO none of them suck at all, I don't think I could sculpt anywhere near that good! :)

risingstar
09-06-2006, 08:45 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/betaray38/hawks.jpg

these were posted on another thread.

my opinion is the HH one is the best for your buck. there are great things about all of them and you could nit pick about something here and there. the HH one is just hawkeye. nothing to distract you. a great pose. easy to display on any shelf. the bowen one is visually spectacular. the base. the color. the pose. you might not want him displayed to high on a shelf though because of the pose facing up. the diamond select has great nostalgia with the ant-man arrow. i am not crazy about the translation of comic art straight to sculptures though. the artist did draw the mask a little different than you would usually see it in comics.

While I prefer the BD, the HH looks good too. However, I must say that the generally uninspiring base on HH pieces is typically the deciding factor for my electing to go elsewhere.

Vader
09-06-2006, 08:53 AM
HH - plain sux.

I guess this shows that the opinions expressed on this forum should never be taken seriously. :banghead:

Colossus
09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah I got the BD hawkeye it looks awesome to me and like Galactus said I think BD tries to make them look more real.

The base to me is really cool only down side to that is just about everyone of the "fallen heros" on the base would kick the everlovin' $h!t outta hawkeye so if he was the last one standing it would be a sad day :) JMO

fossa
09-06-2006, 10:40 AM
should have had a poll to go along with the comments...

moon_knight1971
09-06-2006, 10:45 AM
The day is young...make the poll happen fossa! :)

bat_collector
09-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I think the winner is the consumer, since so many were happy with the different ones

fossa
09-06-2006, 02:21 PM
The day is young...make the poll happen fossa! :)if i was interested in the results, i would do it. i was just saying that Gold Nova should have done it. it would have been clearer to him what the favorite is.

Uncle Jake
09-06-2006, 04:09 PM
bro,that is so far off.you may not like it but it captures the comic book feel perfectly.he was a comic character not a real person. to say it sucks is just childish

Please forgive my childish actions.

HH- Miserable sculpt. Dull paint. Ape-like hands. 60's style mask. Need I continue to explain why it sux?

Uncle Jake
09-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I guess this shows that the opinions expressed on this forum should never be taken seriously. :banghead:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Back at ya!

:buttrock:

madjazz
09-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I see all three of these posed together, and I can't wait to get home to open my BD Hawkeye that just arrived today. For my tastes, I know I picked the right version of the three shown here.