PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations: What's on Your Bookshelf?

Zurbaran1
09-03-2006, 01:11 PM
One of the reasons I'm psyched about this new forum is the potential it has to let us know about some great books we may never have heard of. Way, way back on the old forum a thread was posted asking folks for recommendations. A member made a recommendation that I took and boy am I glad I did. If we can do a little more of that here then this forum will be a great success.

Anyway THAT book was REPLAY by Ken Grimwood. You have got to read this book, it's fantastic. I've read many books in my life but this one stands out above just about all of them. It's a compelling read. This book got to me in a way most books never could and it really made me think about my life. The story is a twist on the classic time-travel tradition and presents the question "What if you could live you life over and over again, knowing the mistakes you'd made before." This book is worth hunting down. Trust me.

I read pretty much everything but since my childhood I have been a big fan of fantasy and science fiction. I love reading multi volume sets. The biggest problem I have with these is that there can often be a period of a year or two between books and that can disrupt the flow.

I started reading the fabulous Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan when it was already up to voluem 8. The nice thing about coming in late to a series or when it's all done is that you can start at the beginning and just work you way straight through it, but this can take time!
I think Wheel of Time is up to 11 or 12 books right now so I've got some more catching up to do having stopped at #8.

I'm a big, big fan of Terry Goodkin's Sword of Truth series. I started that set at the begining and have been looking forward to each succeeding volume. The series has lost a little bit of steam (not much really) but it is a fantastic read. It's up to 10 volumes with Phantom being the last one, released this past July. I think the series has 2 more volumes to go before it wraps up. I love these books.

Right now I am reading The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Martin is being called America's Tolkien and he may very well deserve the accolade. This series is awesome. I'm on the second book right now, A Clash of Kings. The set is up to 4 books with, I think, another 2 expected. These are huge sweeping books but once you pick them up they are hard to put down. I also recently read Fevre Dream an earlier book by Martin. A very different vampire story set on the Mississippi back in the 1800s.

Another recommendation I took from the old board was The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. This was another set of books I had never heard of. A great three volume read for fans of SF & Fantasy. It deals with the forces of good and evil, the fine line between them and redemption. This one came highly recommended and I pass it along that way.

While over at Barnes & Noble last night I picked up The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle Earth by John Garth. I'll probably get to these when I'm done with Ice and Fire or maybe squeeze them in between books.

While I've got plenty more, this will do for now. What's on your bookshelf?

devlinboy
09-03-2006, 01:15 PM
chuck palahniuk: choke, lullaby, haunted. i couldnt explain these if i tried lol. they are great though
richard marcinko: rogue warrior, red cell. books about navy seals and what not. i really liked them all

JLM
09-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Holes by Loius Sachar. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Funny, intiguing, well written. An all round darn fine read.

Zurbaran1
09-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Holes by Loius Sachar. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Funny, intiguing, well written. An all round darn fine read.

Haven't read this one but my kids had to for school. They loved it. We did see the movie together and it was quite entertaining.

JLM
09-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Haven't read this one but my kids had to for school. They loved it. We did see the movie together and it was quite entertaining.

My sister is a teacher and she got her kids to read it and they loved it. I've sucessfully recommended it to a work colleague. The movie is a good adaptation of the book.

High Lord Apocalypse
09-03-2006, 03:26 PM
microbiology made ridiculously simple.

Zurbaran1
09-03-2006, 03:45 PM
microbiology made ridiculously simple.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but whatever floats your boat.

lord odin
09-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Dante`s inferno. :buttrock:
Going to hell is a blast. :eplus2:

Bullseye
09-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Paradise Lost.

Ghost
09-03-2006, 05:39 PM
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Book about an Indian boy stuck in a raft with a tiger and his journey. Highly recommend. Even Stephen King praised it as a must read.

Also The Memory of Running. I forgot the author's name, but it's about an obese man that takes off on his bike just one day. This book was never published or was never allowed to be, but was put on audio tape. After King heard it, he pushed everyone to publish the book. It really is good.

ANGRYCOMICMAN
09-03-2006, 07:55 PM
I just re-read the "Chior Boys" by Joseph Wambaugh, for the 50th time at least. It might be a little dated but it's hysterical. Another book I re-read is Cachalot by Allen Dean Foster, Giant Whales on a water-world. This is also over 25 years old, but sci-fi never gets old. Nothing at there other than WWII books intrest me anymore.

Zurbaran1
09-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Nice! I haven't thought about Wambaugh's stuff in many years. That was a great book!

Ghost
09-03-2006, 10:24 PM
A very good fantasy book written by a kid is Eragon.

Zurbaran1
09-03-2006, 10:28 PM

You're nor kidding (pun intended). Wasn't he 15 at the time. My daughter has this one and I picked it up but didn't get much past the first chapter before some other stuff distracted me. Aren't they turning this into a movie?

Ghost
09-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah they are and I believe he actually had more books in the works, a trilogy maybe?
So yeah if Eragon turns out great they'll be waiting on the rest just like Rowlings and the HP books. I'm sure alot of us could write something great if we had the time :p

Zurbaran1
09-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah they are and I believe he actually had more books in the works, a trilogy maybe?
So yeah if Eragon turns out great they'll be waiting on the rest just like Rowlings and the HP books. I'm sure alot of us could write something great if we had the time :p

Yes, it is going to be a trilogy, the Inheritance Trilogy. The second book was published last summer and is titled Eldest. I'm surprised you haven't read it, have you?

Ghost
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Actually no, I picked up Eragon just when it came out and only knew about there being more never about when they'd be out. I'll have to get that. I've just been reading Freud books lately. I love me some good psychology texts :p
And prior to moving out here I had read the Da Vinci Code cause I wanted to read it right before the movie was released which I did but never actually went to see it.

JM28Cardiff
09-04-2006, 02:20 AM
I like the Spanish author Arturo Perez-Reverte...The Flanders Panel, The Dumas Club, The Seville Communion, The Fencing Master (look em up on Amazon). He has also written Captain Alatriste, about a dashing swordsman, set in Madrid in the 1620's. I believe its been made into a film starring Vigo Mortensen.

Also like Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

tuv1305
09-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't do nearly as much reading as I used to these days, but a series I've read and re-read is The Necroscope, by Brian Lumley. I initially started on the third book, read through all of them that were out at that time, and then went back for the first two. I've gotten pretty much all of my friends hooked on them since then and they love it almost as much as I do. It follows a man named Harry Keogh, who is unique in the fact that he can talk to, and is loved by, the dead. They love him so much that when he's in danger, the dead will rise up and fight to protect him, which is handy, as Harry spends most of his time fighting vampires. Along the way he picks up other skills, such as teleportation along the Moebius continuim. He goes on to fight vampires on their source world and the later books follow the adventures of his son as he carries on his dad's work without ever having known him. The only books in the series I would advise you to stay away from is the Lost Years, which completely crapped all over poor Harry, who had it rough enough to begin with.

The Dragonlance books are probably amonst my favorite as far as fantasy novels go. Another good series is The Runelords, by David Farland. Although much like Keogh in the Necroscope books, the main character of the series really gets put through the ringer.

rric528
09-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm reading a pretty poor book titled "Devil's Night" from 2001 when they were doing a Universal Monsters revival.

Once I "push" through I'm on the 5th instalment of Area - 51 series.

Keeping it mindless on reading right now.

RC212
09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Anything in the Valdemar series by Mercades Lackey... there are some touchy subjects in those and some things that I am just like man you could have done with out that but hey outside of the anything by Tolkien, Jordan or Brian Jaques you can never go wrong with

k9ziggy
09-05-2006, 01:04 AM
David Eddings (2) series, the Belgariad and the Mallorean. A total of 10 books, and a modern masterpiece. I have read the full series 4 times, and still look forward to the next time.

Elizabeth Moon - Deeds of Paksenarion (sp?) Haven't read this trilogy for a while, but remember that I really liked it the first time.

DDura711
09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Just read "THE BAD TWIN" in like three and a half hours. It's written by a Ghost Writer that died in the plane crash that went down in the lost TV show. It's just a book that has NOTHING to do with the show but a tie in to make money.
With that said, it was really a pretty good mystery story. Very quick read, only 257 pages long and easy to follow, read like a movie most of the time. Worth $20? Meh.... but it was worth the time reading.

sellin71
09-05-2006, 09:17 AM
One of my favorite books of all time is "Fools Die" by Mario Puzo. It has a little mafia and alot of Vegas.

JLM
09-05-2006, 04:26 PM
"The Big Nowhere" and "The Black Dahlia" both by James Ellroy. Pulp fiction that's harder boiled than a 20 minute egg.

Underdog07
09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Zurb (and everyone) - The Alchemist is a truly inspiring book. I read it for the first time about 10 years ago and since then have re-read it at least 5 times. Definitely a must read.

Coehlo's other books are also worth a look.

On the lighter side, I am a sucker for James Patterson stories. These I always get on CD and listen to them on road trips.

Also, Brad Meltzer's first book - The Tenth Justice - is an entertaining thriller.

stormshadow007
09-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Hey Zurb, can you fill me in on the latest on what happened to Richard and Kahlan from the Sword of Truth series? Last book I read was when Richard duked it out with his evil son and then I think Richard disappeared or something like that. A man picked up something in the rubble of the destroyed palace/citadel that Richard's son built .....read it a while back so my memory might not be that good. I'll have to ask my sister if she got the latest book yet.

joy_division
09-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Yes man by Danny Wallace
Are you Dave Gorman by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Nathaniel's Nutmeg: How One Man's Courage Changed the Course of History by Giles Milton - I LOVE this book and would reccomend it to anyone

Mr Benn's Little Book of Life (one of my favourite shows as a kid - and an adult!)

I second the Life of Pi

To kill a Mockingbird by harper Lee
of Mice & men by John Steinbeck
Kingdom Come by Elliot S. Maggin

Zurbaran1
09-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Hey Zurb, can you fill me in on the latest on what happened to Richard and Kahlan from the Sword of Truth series? Last book I read was when Richard duked it out with his evil son and then I think Richard disappeared or something like that. A man picked up something in the rubble of the destroyed palace/citadel that Richard's son built .....read it a while back so my memory might not be that good. I'll have to ask my sister if she got the latest book yet.

Your memory is shot. Richard doesn't have a son. He's been duking it out with a lot of evil folks though.

zatoichi
09-09-2006, 12:40 PM
I have a few that I jump back and forth from, I usually read for a while in the evenings when I get home after work.
Just finished the 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail', then 'DaVinci Code', I liked them both because I treated them both like fiction.
Currently reading a few non-fiction works: 'See No Evil' from Robert Baer. It was the basis for the George Clooney movie "Syriana". Very good book.
Also have in que, 'The Guns of August' by Barbara Tuchman, about the opening days of WW1. '1421- the year China discovered America', by Gavin Menzies, 'Collapse' by Jared Diamond. I highly recommend all of these.
Also, when I want to alternate into fiction, I am reading through the last Conan collected stories by from Robert E. Howard. That series is incredibly good.
If someone is into crime/noir fiction, everything done by Raymond Chandler and James Ellroy.
For historical fiction of the Roman era, I highly recommend 'I, Claudius' and 'Claudius the God' by Robert Graves.
Also, being a fan of the Ridley Scott/ Harrison Ford movie 'Bladerunner', I recommend "Future Noir - the making of Blade Runner"
The last great sci-fi I read was 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card, and 'Lord of Light' by Roger Zelazny.
Last great war fiction I read was the short novel 'The Short Timers' -- this is what Stanley Kubric's based his movie 'Full Metal Jacket' on. The book is twice as outstanding as the movie.
More mainstream-ish fiction, I highly recommend 'Life of Pi', and for those craving deep, dark, black humor, 'Ghosts' by Chuck Palanuk.
For graphic novles and manga, I highly recommend 'Lone Wolf and Cub', 'Akira', 'GTO', and 'Initial D'. 'GTO' is a narrow stand out -- I have never read a comic series I have laughed out loud at. Worth every penny.
I'd recommend the manga books over the anime on those titles (no anime is out there for 'Lone Wolf'.
For the VERY adult/action oriented manga, 'Crying Freeman'. Not for the kids, along with 'Lone Wolf and Cub'.

Sam Wilson
09-09-2006, 02:35 PM
chuck palahniuk: choke, lullaby, haunted. i couldnt explain these if i tried lol. they are great though
richard marcinko: rogue warrior, red cell. books about navy seals and what not. i really liked them all

I've read choke, the most sexually explicit, unerotic book I ever read. Kinda funny though...

Devils Drifter
09-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Your memory is shot. Richard doesn't have a son. He's been duking it out with a lot of evil folks though.

Oh thank god. I love this series but haven't read the last 2 books and was afraid that I just ruined it by reading that post.

I just started finished reading Ilium and started reading Olympos by Dan Simmons. They are a fantastic read. It has characters from Troy, The Greek Gods, Future Humans, Androids, Robots and Aliens all in one story. Highly recommended.

I also have read the Necroscope series; I loved it, especially the Trilogy that was based off the Vampires home world.

Oh and I recently finished all of Stephen King’s Dark Towers books. It got progressively worse towards the end but still a fun read.

- DD

risingstar
09-10-2006, 08:38 PM
George Alec Effinger and his Marid Audran trilogy were fun reads. In order, the books are called "When Gravity Fails (1987)", "A Fire in the Sun (1989)", and "The Exile Kiss (1991)".

Zurbaran1
09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Oh thank god. I love this series but haven't read the last 2 books and was afraid that I just ruined it by reading that post.

I just started finished reading Ilium and started reading Olympos by Dan Simmons. They are a fantastic read. It has characters from Troy, The Greek Gods, Future Humans, Androids, Robots and Aliens all in one story. Highly recommended.

I also have read the Necroscope series; I loved it, especially the Trilogy that was based off the Vampires home world.

Oh and I recently finished all of Stephen King’s Dark Towers books. It got progressively worse towards the end but still a fun read.

- DD

I read Illium and Olympos over the summer. Almost forgot about them. You are right, a fantastic epic 2 volume set.

wktf
09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I just picked up a newly published book that Dana P. gave me a tip on a few months ago, "Up, Up and Oy Vey: How Jewish History, Culture and Values Shaped the Comic Book Superheroes." Looking forward to reading it but need to finish HG Wells' "The Island of Dr. Moreau" first.

http://www.amazon.com/Up-Oy-Vey-History-Superhero/dp/1881927326/sr=1-1/qid=1157984774/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3472757-7548939?ie=UTF8&s=books

Boerboel
12-08-2006, 02:55 AM

I picked it up on Wednesday and I am about 230ish pages into it and so far I think its pretty good. I wanted to read the book before I see the movie.

Zurbaran1
12-08-2006, 08:57 AM
I picked it up on Wednesday and I am about 230ish pages into it and so far I think its pretty good. I wanted to read the book before I see the movie.

Pretty impressive that the kid who wrote this was 15 when he wrote it.

thecallahan
12-08-2006, 09:53 AM
What I've read of Eragon (and I admit freely, wasn't that much) wasn't that good and was clearly written by a 15 year old. I also like the running joke of him just mispelling dragon and keeping it :)

I'm sounding like a total snob when I say this too but actually calling any Terry Goodkind book good past the first one. I just gotta ask, are you on crack? :) I've never seen a writer with more woman issues than that man and it's kinda disturbing

Anyways, so I don't come off as a total d!ck, if you want a fun action type book, Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. About a Vietnam vet who just happens to be a sniper and...well, read from there, not sure how much to talk about without spoiling things in the book.

Johnneeukca
12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Virtues of War: a novel of Alexander the Great, by Stephen Pressfield.

Worth the price of the hardcover for the description of the battle of Guagamela alone.

Comicboy
12-08-2006, 11:49 AM
I just picked up Hannibal Rising last night. Thomas Harris 4th in the Hannibal Lecter series. Just finished re-reading The Order of the Phoenix seeing as the movie is coming out soon. There's some interesting sounding books in here I'll have to pick up.

JM28Cardiff
12-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I just picked up Hannibal Rising last night. Thomas Harris 4th in the Hannibal Lecter series. Just finished re-reading The Order of the Phoenix seeing as the movie is coming out soon. There's some interesting sounding books in here I'll have to pick up.

Not sure whether to buy Hannibal Rising-the ending of the last book made me wonder if old Harris has lost it.

Am currently reading The Prestige by Christopher Priest (after seeing the film in the cinema) - great book!

Comicboy
12-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Ditto on the ending, I hated it. This book is supposedly about him growing up into the psycho he is today. His childhood and adolesence are covered. We'll see, I'm going into it not expecting much.

Comicboy
12-13-2006, 10:37 PM
And I was proven correct by not expecting much. JM, don't bother, it's fireplace fodder. It does nothing for the character, except ruin it.

'Nuff
12-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Douglas Southall Freeman's "Lee's Lieutenants"...

JM28Cardiff
12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
And I was proven correct by not expecting much. JM, don't bother, it's fireplace fodder. It does nothing for the character, except ruin it.

I think I will skip it then. I think Harris has gone to the well too many times on this one, no doubt lured by the big bucks prospect of yet another film version. He should do something new next time.

JLM
12-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Am currently reading The Prestige by Christopher Priest (after seeing the film in the cinema) - great book!

I agree. Reading the book also helped me make a bit more sense of the film.

Jack8022
12-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Some of my favorites:
-Raymond Feist's stuff (stick with the older novels though. The latest ones haven't been as good.)
-Terry Brooks' older Shanarra books and the Word/Void Series.
-Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle's collaborations (Mote in God's Eye, Footfall, Legacy of Heorot, Boewolf's Children)
-The Dune series (including the Kevin Anderson stuff).
-Dumas' Three Musketeers and the Count of Monte Cristo
-Haggard's She and the Alan Quartermaine books.
-Dragonlance series have been pretty good too.

batman1180
12-23-2006, 03:40 AM
I just picked up the Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. It seemed to get decent reviews. Anyone here read these books?

The Watcher
12-23-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm currently reading the Nero Wolfe mystery series (written by the brilliant Rex Stout). I got hooked on the A & E television series but it was cancelled after two seasons so I turned to the books. The books are good but the television series was a lot better.

Mandragora
12-23-2006, 11:21 AM

i loved this book! haven't seen the movie yet. so i was trying to find more by priest, but it seems all of his other stuff is out of print. hopefully the success of the movie will bring a few back

Zurbaran1
12-23-2006, 05:26 PM
I just picked up the Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. It seemed to get decent reviews. Anyone here read these books?

I haven't read any Salvatore recently but I've read lots of his books in the past and have enjoyed them all.

cougartrace
01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
re-reading the Shannara series.

Also, reading wikinomics. Wikipedia and the new economic collaboration..a pretty cool concept.

BillyPilgrim
01-09-2007, 06:52 PM
I just re-read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I'm also reading Blood Meridian by Cormac MCarthy - IMO one of the great writers of our time, admittedly he isn't everyone's cup of tea

Gatekeeper2Hell
01-22-2007, 01:16 AM

I have read many of his books. The Icewind Dale Trilogy is good. As are the first two parts of the Dark Elf Trilogy. The third book, Sojourn, drags a bit and you can see Salvatore was having trouble wrapping the series up. At the time he had no new plans for Drizzt's group. He went back to this group after writing the Cleric Quintet series.

My biggest problem with Salvatore work is that the Hunter's Blade trilogy ended with a standoff between the two sides and statements of what the major characters would do next. Then he spent the last two years doing books that were sequels to Servant of the Shard. The stories could have jumped back and forth between each of the characters/groups or done four books focusing on each separately. And what did Salvatore do? He went with a story about characters we hadn't seen in the last 4 books. Don't get me wrong, the story is is great. But it's like having someone watch A New Hope and Empire, and then telling them they have to watch the Indiana Jones Trilogy before seeing Jedi.

Supressing the rant now. I would also recommend reading:
Salvatore's Spearweilder's Trilogy, which is very funny and very relatable

Peter David's Hulk movie adaption, which would make a much better movie

Peter David's Knight Life, where King Arthur returns and runs for mayor of NYC

Robert Newcomb's The Fifth Sorceress, which is dark and perverse but skip the second and third books since they don't go anywhere. At all.

Croatoa
01-22-2007, 08:29 PM
"The Big Nowhere" and "The Black Dahlia" both by James Ellroy. Pulp fiction that's harder boiled than a 20 minute egg.

L.A. Confidential and American Tabloid also by Ellroy.

I also recommend anything by George Pelecanos. Especially Hard Revolution and The Sweet Forever. Pelecanos is a writer on HBO's The Wire. Fans of that show should check him out.

Out by Natsuo Kirino is a pretty twisted story. In a nutshell a group of women in Japan hack up and dispose of abusive husbands body. Paranoia ensues.

thecallahan
01-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Currently reading The Winter of Frankie Machine (http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Frankie-Machine-Don-Winslow/dp/1400044987/sr=8-1/qid=1169749356/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0276039-1194541?ie=UTF8&s=books)

In a nutshell, it's about a 60+ hitman who was basically semi-retired and suddenly has a hit out on him. So far, it's entailed him hunting down people (and for the most part, not killing them) and trying to find out who and more importantly, why they want him dead.

Johnneeukca
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Anonymous Rex, by Eric Garcia. Read this a few years back but it's a cool book that should appeal to the SF crowd. It's about a detective who is actually a velociraptor in a human suit. You see, dinosaurs diidn't actually die out but they saw their impending extinction at the hands of the quickly-maturing man. Since then they've gotten smaller and wear diisguises to fit in wiith society. Cool book.

malkii
02-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Right now I am reading "Book Of Fate" by Brad Meltzer... so far its really good... hes a great writer, i am loving his run on the JLA right now...

Lizard King
02-15-2007, 11:29 AM
The Baroque Trilogy by Neal Stephenson. It tops out at a little over a three- thousand pages by the time your done, but it's a great series. It's not for everyone since it's a pretty dense read with a ton of characters, but if you like historical fiction check these out. Another great read is Stephen King's Dark Tower series. If you haven't read these you're missing out.

Mandragora
02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
re-reading the Shannara series.

Also, reading wikinomics. Wikipedia and the new economic collaboration..a pretty cool concept.

i've heard about this, how is it?

Lizard King . . . have you read Cryptonomicon by Stephenson? my favorite by his i think

Just finished reading World War Z . . . .highly recommend. Its about how a Zombie attack on the world is dealt with by the current political climate. amazing!!!!

Johnneeukca
02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Cryptonomicon was a cool book. Although I never saw what all the hype was about Snow Crash.

Mandragora
02-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I liked his take on the altered time line in Snow Crash, it was really well done . . . but, yeah, nothing that hasn't been done before.

The Baroque trilogy got a little long winded for me. I got through the second and decided i needed a bit of a break.

Zurbaran1
02-15-2007, 01:48 PM

Lizard King . . . have you read Cryptonomicon by Stephenson? my favorite by his i think

Just finished reading World War Z . . . .highly recommend. Its about how a Zombie attack on the world is dealt with by the current political climate. amazing!!!!

I believe there is a whole thread out there dedicated to World War Z

Lizard King
02-16-2007, 01:06 PM

I've read Cryptonomicon twice. It is another excellent read. The Barouqe Trilogy is still my favorite, although it is a really really dense read. I'm on it for my second time, and I'm still having trouble keeping the characters in order.

CanadianMachine
02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Reading The Rising by Brian Keene. I have only read the first 5 chapters, but I am really enjoying it. Next after this one is City of the Dead, also by Keene.

Book Description
The dead are returning to life as intelligent zombies. Trapped by the undead, escape seems impossible for Jim Thurmond. But Jim’s young son is alive and in dire peril hundreds of miles away. Despite overwhelming odds, Jim vows to find him— or die trying.
Joined by an elderly preacher, a guilt-ridden scientist, and a determined ex-prostitute, Jim embarks on a cross-country rescue mission. They must battle both the living and the living dead. And for Jim and his companions, an even greater evil awaits them at the end of their journey.

CanadianMachine
02-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I believe there is a whole thread out there dedicated to World War Z

I will have to pick this one up.

Mandragora
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I've read Cryptonomicon twice. It is another excellent read. The Barouqe Trilogy is still my favorite, although it is a really really dense read. I'm on it for my second time, and I'm still having trouble keeping the characters in order.

i had a hard time with all the stock market stuff. honestly, i have trouble keeping it straight in modern times let alone back then. the science was way more exciting for me, but (if i remember correctly) seemed to taper off in the second book.

Jack8022
02-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Currently reading the Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams.
I had started it but dropped it a few years ago.
Started rereading it now and it's pretty good.

CanadianMachine
02-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Currently reading the Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams.
I had started it but dropped it a few years ago.
Started rereading it now and it's pretty good.

I have this at home, read it years ago, cant even remember it now. I might have to go dig it up.

Zurbaran1
02-16-2007, 05:04 PM
I just finished reading Flags of Our Fathers and watched the movie right after that. Highly recommend both. Reading the book before you see the movie really adds to the film experience as you know the characters in detail.

I am now reading The Terror by Dan Simmons

Castle
02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Just finished reading all the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly. If ur into detective thrillers I highly recommend u giving them a try.

I'm currently reading "Killing Floor" by Lee Child. Its the first in the Jack Reacher series.

Tommy Allison
02-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Michael Crichton's "Next". Gotta say, it bugs me.

Devils Drifter
03-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I am currently reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi, I am half way done and I can't get enough of it. It's one of the best sci-fi books I've read in awhile.

- DD

Johnneeukca
03-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I am currently reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi, I am half way done and I can't get enough of it. It's one of the best sci-fi books I've read in awhile.

- DD

DD,

If you're into Sci-Fi try Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. :thumbs2:

Babytoxie
03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm reading Steven Millhauser's Little Kingdoms, a collection of 3 novellas. Millhauser writes excellent novels and short stories. They are set in the real world but contain descriptions and perspectives that make them seem otherworldly. I'd say he's a successor to Ray Bradbury.

bat_collector
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Just finished "Velocity" by Dean Koontz. I loved it!

CocoPUFF
03-26-2007, 02:24 PM

KOONTZ is the man...my favorite book by him is "strangers"...long book, but a great read...you'll finish it in a couple of days...won't be able to put it down...:thumbs2:

Johnneeukca
03-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Yeah, Velocity was cool. Went off Koontz for a while because all his characters were cookie cuttered then thrust into different scenarios, but he's improved so much as a writer. Try The Face. good book in its own right but his use of metaphor and simile to describe the weather (ususally rain!) is brilliant.

Devils Drifter
03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
DD,

If you're into Sci-Fi try Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. :thumbs2:

Thanks, I just finished Old Man's War and loved it. I'm going to Amazon now and ordering AC!

- DD

Zurbaran1
03-27-2007, 10:05 PM

- DD

Sounds interesting. Going to check it out.

JLM
04-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Just finished "The Lovely Bones". Didn't think that much of it.

Am currently enjoying "Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth" much more.

Teague
04-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Just finished "The Lovely Bones". Didn't think that much of it.

Am currently enjoying "Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth" much more.

You didn't like Lovely Bones? I thought it was pretty good.

JLM
04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't think that I said what I really meant - lazy posting (in my defence, it is late here).

It was well written and followed the family's grief well, but I don't quite understand why it received the acclaim it has, which is what I meant by not thinking much of it. Peter Jackson is working on a film adaptation, and I also was curious to read it before the movie.

Teague
04-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I don't think that I said what I really meant - lazy posting (in my defence, it is late here).

It was well written and followed the family's grief well, but I don't quite understand why it received the acclaim it has, which is what I meant by not thinking much of it. Peter Jackson is working on a film adaptation, and I also was curious to read it before the movie.

Ah, cool. As for its popularity, it was an Oprah pick. Enough said. Best-seller assured.

It's also got a good storyline of its own--first-time novelists are able to hit the zeitgeist a little easier than others, because everyone loves the Cinderella story, you know?

JLM
04-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Ah, cool. As for its popularity, it was an Oprah pick. Enough said. Best-seller assured.

As you say, enough said. I also think that Richard & Judy (who do a similar sort of show in the UK) picked up on it, which also assisted its popularity here.

JM28Cardiff
05-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Im currently reading "Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders" by Gyles Brandreth, and loving it! For those who've never heard of Brandreth (lucky you!), hes a sometime TV presenter, ex Member of Parliament, quite posh, comes across as a bit of a buffoon, but this book is pretty good! Its has Oscar Wilde investigating a murder, Arthur Conan Doyle is in it, and there are references to the great and the good of the day, such as Lillie Langtry. If your a fan of Victorian Crime fiction, you should like this. The cover design is good too.

Sgt Taz
05-08-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm no book reader but I picked this book up once by chance and just read a few pages...I was hooked. I read through the whole thing in no time. It was just so good. It's called "Monster" and its an autobiography of Kody Scott aka Sanyika Shakur. Very good read and I'll say again, I'm realy no book reader but this just sucked me in.

pablocruze
12-12-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm waiting for "Bad Luck & Trouble" to come out in paperback.

I've just completed the entire Jack Reacher series by Lee Child and I'm pretty much addicted to the series.

The books run about 400 +/- pages, and I generally finish them in a couple of days just reading in my spare time.

Also waiting on the next Connelly/Bosch book and the next Nelson DeMille book (recently finished Wildfire).

Just started "Dance of Death" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. :thumbs2:

Ink
12-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm either gonna start the halo books or star wars

Teague
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Just started the Charles Schulz biography...seems good so far. Also starting Harry Potter #7 with my eldest daughter...I'll be sad to see this series end, mainly because I've really enjoyed reading them with her!!!

Ink
12-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Just started the Charles Schulz biography...seems good so far. Also starting Harry Potter #7 with my eldest daughter...I'll be sad to see this series end, mainly because I've really enjoyed reading them with her!!!

book #7 is dark

Teague
12-12-2007, 06:35 PM
book #7 is dark

Yeah, I've heard...but my daughter is excited to finish the series. She took the death in Book 6 pretty hard, but she's resilient. :thumbs2:

Ink
12-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I've heard...but my daughter is excited to finish the series. She took the death in Book 6 pretty hard, but she's resilient. :thumbs2:

it was decently shocking

bat_collector
12-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm reading Pet Cemetary right now.

Just finished Wicked

Babytoxie
12-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I just finished Dracula by Bram Stoker. The first and last quarters of the book are amazing, but the middle is like watching paint dry.

JLM
12-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Just finished Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Thought that Northern Lights was the best part by far, while The Amber Spyglass was the weakest, with what seemed like far too many ideas crammed in, and a lot of incredibly complex situations resolved apparently very easily.

bat_collector
12-14-2007, 12:39 PM
I just finished Dracula by Bram Stoker. The first and last quarters of the book are amazing, but the middle is like watching paint dry.

was that your first time reading it?

wktf
12-14-2007, 03:11 PM

Oh, I disagree. Reading the journal entries of all the characters as they go through the hell Dracula puts them through, getting inside their thoughts and fears and making Dracula an external force that's not seen directly so much as the impact of his actions, is pretty gripping to me.

wktf
12-14-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm reading Pet Cemetary right now.

Just finished Wicked

Pet Cemetery is great. Really creepy. Have you read 'Salem's Lot? Another great King book.

Liked Wicked alot. I read it when it was first published many years ago.

collector49
12-14-2007, 03:29 PM
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly- It's a work of non-fiction so it doesn't fit into your love for Sci-Fi. No other book has made me more aware of just what it means to enjoy every day of this short life to the fullest.

What if tomorrow, you were struck by a massive stroke that left you unable to move and unable to talk, but left your mind intact? Have you done even one selfless thing in your entire life? How can you tell those around you that you care, now, before you lose the opportunity? Do you appreciate the little, insignificant details of life that make it truly enjoyable?

Babytoxie
12-14-2007, 03:30 PM
was that your first time reading it?

Sadly, yes. As a child, I had an Illustrated Classics version of the story by Nestor Redondo which served me well through the years. I recently re-read Frankenstein and decided to throw in Dracula for the heck of it.

Now reading Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island, the only one of his more well-known works I haven't read.

Babytoxie
12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Oh, I disagree. Reading the journal entries of all the characters as they go through the hell Dracula puts them through, getting inside their thoughts and fears and making Dracula an external force that's not seen directly so much as the impact of his actions, is pretty gripping to me.

You would, you nosfera-phile you!

bat_collector
12-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Pet Cemetery is great. Really creepy. Have you read 'Salem's Lot? Another great King book.

Liked Wicked alot. I read it when it was first published many years ago.

Wicked was good, but dragged in some spots. But much better than it was made out to me. Some of my friends called it downright boring. I don't share their sentiments.

I'm enjoying Pet Cemtery a lot already.

nbr3bagshotrow
12-14-2007, 04:57 PM
I've got a 1st edition "Battlefield Earth". Bought it at SDCC a couple of years ago.

protector2814
12-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Finished Alan Weisman's The World Without Us. What a remarkable book. Not preachy in the slightest. Just a clever, science-based, work of non-fiction that explains what would/will happen to the Earth in the event of a Human mass-extinction. Do you have any idea what would actually happen to your house/apartment/city in a matter of 2 years if people wearn't around to "fix things"?. How soon NYC, London, or Moscow would revert back to a wild state if man suddenly vanished?
Weisman's book is a must read for anyone interested in "what-if" sci-fi writing. With all the discussion of Matheson's brilliant I Am Legend and it's latest film incarnation, this book walks hand-in-hand.
For any of you that have ever fantasied about being the last person on earth (i have) or for those of you that heve relished King's The Stand but wondered what happens next, this book will positively fuel your daydreams.
Here's a clue....water rules; everythinig else looses to its trickling force. I Loved this Book!

Zurbaran1
12-15-2007, 11:16 PM
I've got a 1st edition "Battlefield Earth". Bought it at SDCC a couple of years ago.

Although the movie sucked and L. Ron Hubbard and the whole Scientology business is off the wall, this is a really great piece of Science Fiction. Read it many years ago and thought it was a very entertaining book.

Teague
12-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Finished Alan Weisman's The World Without Us. What a remarkable book. Not preachy in the slightest. Just a clever, science-based, work of non-fiction that explains what would/will happen to the Earth in the event of a Human mass-extinction. Do you have any idea what would actually happen to your house/apartment/city in a matter of 2 years if people wearn't around to "fix things"?. How soon NYC, London, or Moscow would revert back to a wild state if man suddenly vanished?
Weisman's book is a must read for anyone interested in "what-if" sci-fi writing. With all the discussion of Matheson's brilliant I Am Legend and it's latest film incarnation, this book walks hand-in-hand.
For any of you that have ever fantasied about being the last person on earth (i have) or for those of you that heve relished King's The Stand but wondered what happens next, this book will positively fuel your daydreams.
Here's a clue....water rules; everythinig else looses to its trickling force. I Loved this Book!

Cool! I'm really looking forward to reading this. Glad it was a good read...sounds fascinating.

bat_collector
12-17-2007, 02:58 PM
What other stephen king books are must reads?

Babytoxie
12-17-2007, 03:10 PM
What other stephen king books are must reads?

Dead Zone
Firestarter
Skeleton Crew

Argonus
12-20-2007, 02:32 AM
Just finished "The Last Ship" by William Brinkley.. a great fictional tale. Sometimes he trips up his pace a bit in descriptions, but overall a great work. If you're a fan of military reads (let alone apocalyptic reads), I'd suggest picking this up. It's not about some huge battle, it's about a lone U.S. military vessel realizing they ARE quite possibly "alone", and how they go about dealing with such a situation.

I read a classic every January. It's good to keep in touch with your roots, if you're an author. Leo Tolstoy is one of my favorite authors, and I haven't picked up my copy of "War and Peace" since I graduated college, so I'm dusting off my copy and cracking it open once January commences. :) I first discovered him way back in high school, and he's never ceased to entertain me.

I had no knowledge of "World Without Us", thanks for the heads-up. Definitely will be paying Amazon a visit in a couple minutes to see if I can grab it. :D

protector2814
12-20-2007, 10:37 AM
...I had no knowledge of "World Without Us", thanks for the heads-up. Definitely will be paying Amazon a visit in a couple minutes to see if I can grab it. :D

My pleasue. You'll flip when you read just how damn long it'll take Ma. Earth to clean up our mess.
But....it's the little things... like animal repopulations, roads, subway tunnels, statues and monuments, that had me glued. This book is fascinating.

Argonus
12-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Just now ordered it.. and "I Am Legend" as well.. can't wait to dig into these...I'll probably read "...Legend" first to whet my appetite.

I saw on the Amazon page that "World War Z" and "Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead" are both there as well. I own and have read both of those. :)

Both are written by Max Brooks, the son of Mel Brooks. The survival guide sometimes has a bit of humor in it, as he literally breaks down EVERY situation you could encounter a zombie in, and how to fend them off, etc. (plus where the best places to house yourself are, best weapons against them, diplomacy against other survivors, list goes on)...it's done AS a survival guide, and a serious one, but you can't help but laugh at the severity of some of his survival techniques.

"World War Z", on the other hand, has next to no humor in it. It's told through related accounts a reporter has been given by people all over the world concerning a Zombie War humanity barely won...(you learn this on page one, so that's not a spoiler.. haha). You learn what caused the zombies, how they spread, major zombie incursions, all the meat and potatoes you'd want in a book like this. Very serious, well-written book. I love books that have accurate depictions of other countries and their peoples as my wife and I globe-trot a lot, and this one's pretty spot on with how different political climates would handle the zombies, refugees, rebels, etc. An excellent read.

Lizard King
12-20-2007, 04:49 PM
World War Z is a great read. I'm currently reading the new Repairman Jack Novel by F. Paul Wilson. They're a quick read with lots of action and supernatural goings on.

protector2814
12-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey guys - I started a zombie novel review thread you may be interested in checking out
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=51901&highlight=zombie+books

The 2 you mentioned are in there.

Argonus
12-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Protector.. :)

Just bought "Day-By-Day Armageddon", thanks to your knowledge of it. I wouldn't have found it otherwise. I'm not a huge fan of horror fiction anymore, but the "zombie books" being published the last few years have been excellent reads.. haven't found one that's disappointed yet.

protector2814
12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I've read Day-By-Day Armageddon 3 times, now. It's the best Zombie book out there. You'll be hoping for the much talked about sequel the second you finish it.
My absolute fave. Zombie book.

By the way - There's a script review for World War Z over at Darkhorizons.com. A certain famous Spiderman writer wrote the script. The reviewer says that if this version of the script is indeed made, itill be the best Zombie movie ever made.

Argonus
12-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Ah.. Zombies...

'tis the season.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbs2:

Have a great holiday, you guys.

Ryan

protector2814
12-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Ah.. Zombies...
'tis the season.
Have a great holiday, you guys.
Ryan

You too. Happy Hoildays to all. - Jerry
http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/zombie_santa.jpg

Argonus
01-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey guys. :)

Let's see.. finished "Day-By-Day Armaggedon".. wow... I can't wait for the sequel. I love how the author gives it true "journal-form" as he himself is out in the field (overseas) writing it...you can tell he comes back to it with zeal every session.

Currently reading "I Am Legend" also.. it's fun to see where some of today's "most popular" authors of horror fiction received their inspiration. My copy is full of praises of the work and writer by them.. nice that props are being given. I bought "The World Without Us", but I haven't opened her up yet.

I was going to read my regular January "War and Peace", but I chose instead to pick up Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov". An excellent read thus far... Rock Band and my crew bombarding me to play are keeping me from finishing it.. haha.

Just as a side-note, I re-purchased "A History of Knowledge: Past, Present and Future" as I knocked my copy into the snow recently, so it was.. beyond repair.. haha. This is an excellent book, and it covers pretty much what the title implies, but beautifully so. Every major individual that has contributed to world knowledge (okay, so the most widely-known individuals, I should say) is touched upon in depth in the book...or as much depth as is possible for the size of the publication. I'm speaking of people from the sciences, literature, music, arts, etc....not just mathematicians...:)

Anyways, even if you're not a "history buff", this book is incredible. It's always fun to learn where certain ideals and processes originate from. The book's been out for a while, but it's still one of my favorites.

Mandragora
01-06-2008, 09:42 PM

just got this for my sister for xmas . ..can't wait to read it for myself.

i myself have just gotten into terry pratchet and am having a hard time pacing myself

protector2814
01-07-2008, 04:42 PM
That's so cool that Mandragora and Argonas are reading World Without Us. I know you guys'll like it. It's an important book w/o being preachy on the importance of, at the very least attempting to do some house-cleaning on this planet. What's even better about it is all the conceptual "what-if" situations it will fuel in your imaginations for years to come. One of the best I read in 07.
Argonus - didn't I tell you that Day By Day Armageddon kicks serious a$$!. I see on amazon that it's been reprinted with a new cover. This book has sold by word of mouth alone. I know I'll end up reading it again and again. J.L. Bourne, in his x-mas blog states that a sequel is well on its way, w/ more than 250 pages being written so far. I can't wait. I Am Legend is just fantastic. Hope you love it.
I'm currently reading The Ice Schooner by Michael Moorc0ck. Just a lil' quickie before I jump into a novel, mystery or biography. Over Christmas I read Nick Tosches' Dean Martin Bio - Dino Living High In The Dirty Business Of Dreams and just flipped. W/O a doubt the best bio I've ever read. What a life Mr. Martin breathed. Stubenville, NYC, AC, Vegas, Hollywood...the booze, starlettes, fights and tragic losses. I tell you it read like Shakespearian tragedy.
Very cool read.

Mandragora
01-07-2008, 06:59 PM
That's so cool that Mandragora and Argonas are reading World Without Us. I know you guys'll like it. It's an important book w/o being preachy on the importance of, at the very least attempting to do some house-cleaning on this planet. What's even better about it is all the conceptual "what-if" situations it will fuel in your imaginations for years to come. One of the best I read in 07.

i'm so excited about it . . . but have to wait until the paperback :(

i just found out clive barker has a new one out!!!! anyone else here a huge fan?

Devils Drifter
01-08-2008, 09:24 PM
World War Z is a great read. I'm currently reading the new Repairman Jack Novel by F. Paul Wilson. They're a quick read with lots of action and supernatural goings on.
I read World War Z about a month ago and agree it's a good one.

- Rams

Argonus
01-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Argonus - didn't I tell you that Day By Day Armageddon kicks serious a$$!. QUOTE]

Indeed you did...thanks again. :D I read somewhere that he's 250 pages into the second book... can't wait. :)

His writing style is refreshing.. very unrefined.

Argonus
01-16-2008, 03:26 AM
"The World Without Us" is available over iTunes, by the way.. just stumbled across it tonight.

I plan on reading the book though, as I already own it...but I'll probably end up getting the audio version after I do so.

"I Am Legend" was listed next to it, but same boat.. I'd rather read the book.

Just for kicks I looked up "War and Peace".. it's 40 hours long, iirc!! Hahaha!! Craziness.

Mandragora
01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Just for kicks I looked up "War and Peace".. it's 40 hours long, iirc!! Hahaha!! Craziness.

holy jesus! that is crazy . . . .

i typically don't like the classics, they just don't do it for me

Argonus
01-16-2008, 02:21 PM
holy jesus! that is crazy . . . .

i typically don't like the classics, they just don't do it for me

Actually, there's so many excellent authors now (over the last twenty years) it's easy, let alone feasible, to not get around to reading older titles...I try to as a general habit read a couple "classics" a year that I haven't read before, though.

As a writer, reading other genres moreso than your own keeps you from pigeon-holing yourself (although my thread through my books is pretty unique). I do read my genre still, just not as much as I used to as I'm now also writing it. Haha. :)

This year I have so many books on my shelves I haven't had time to pick up... I'm only tackling one classic, that if I recall correctly, I've never read before: "Moby Dick".

Mandragora
01-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Actually, there's so many excellent authors now (over the last twenty years) it's easy, let alone feasible, to not get around to reading older titles...I try to as a general habit read a couple "classics" a year that I haven't read before, though.

As a writer, reading other genres moreso than your own keeps you from pigeon-holing yourself (although my thread through my books is pretty unique). I do read my genre still, just not as much as I used to as I'm now also writing it. Haha. :)

This year I have so many books on my shelves I haven't had time to pick up... I'm only tackling one classic, that if I recall correctly, I've never read before: "Moby Dick".

as much as i would like to read the classics, its quite hard for me, , . . . i just don't seem to have the attention span for them. i read to escape and to let my mind calm down and a lot of the older ones are just way too dry for my taste.

very cool that you're a writer . . . what kind of stuff?

Argonus
01-19-2008, 02:08 AM
as much as i would like to read the classics, its quite hard for me, , . . . i just don't seem to have the attention span for them. i read to escape and to let my mind calm down and a lot of the older ones are just way too dry for my taste.

very cool that you're a writer . . . what kind of stuff?

I tried my hand at horror like.. ten years ago, but it didn't take. Did a small publication of the book, though (Writer's Digest publishers are good for small publishing runs if your goal is more to put out a book than making a living off of it, which I don't require). Horror usually seems to "work best" if it's set in present day, and although mine was a well-received book (Ray Bradbury saw a first-draft of it back when I was in high school.. gah... in '92?.. or the concept anyways. He was at The Earthling Bookstore in San Luis Obispo, CA. (now it's a Hind's or something.. grr) for a signing. He stayed after to look over my stuff with me even...which was awesome. He lives in Santa Barbara, so San Luis Obispo wasn't a huge drive for him (amusingly enough, he himself DOESN'T drive.. I didn't press him on it, but I'm assuming he never bothered learning how to. I remember the fact that he wore tennis shorts to the signing and that he doesn't drive moreso than I do any sort of relevant insights he might have bequeathed unto me...hahah).

Aaaaaaaaanyways...since then I've written four fantasy novels, but I've only "released" two of them. I basically have my literary agent by her uh.. "goods".. because I didn't want her to go through with the first two until I wrapped up the third one (which actually turned into a third and fourth, as the third was twice as thick as the first two, and there was a natural break in the story I could make into a complete new novel.) So now.. I'm playing with the fourth one, but I REALLY don't want to tell her it's actually somewhat done because these books are my BABIES and I don't want to share them with anyone. We don't need the money from them, and the worlds and characters are elements I really hold dear to my heart (at the risk of sounding inane.. haha). It is NOT your "typical fantasy" though, which is why she wants the damned things so bad. I made sure not to pigeon-hole my plot so that it's bread-and-butter fantasy... the series has a few major elements that change between the second the third book, altering the momentum of the story as a whole. I've shown elements of it to a book-club I was in (no time for that crap now, it falls on my Pool League night.. haha), and have left it at a local laundrama ("t" fell off... which I love.. great focus group, fyi) where I see people pick them up, read them, then STEAL them.. haha... which is awesome, and they were flabber-gasted by it.. :) Fun to "play the part" of washing clothes, my utilities here at home work fine. :banghead:

I think it'll be even more enjoyable as since my voice-acting career is quickly becoming a success, I can do my own readings OF my books.. audiobooks.. whatever. Teaching and singing (and God) gifted me with a great set o' pipes, and I make full use of them, from little girls to burley men.. to ogres.. to uhm... I just did a talking piece of cheese for an educational spot in Seattle.. today.. haha. You get the gist. Promos.. Animation.. PSA's... whatever.. just starting out and I love this career already.

A fun side-note is that my older sister's husband (who's done everything from EA games programming (designs levels) to paintings/illustrations/etc for movie sets and their like) is going to be painting my covers, and the maps within (they change slightly in the third book, and the fourth book is ridiculous map-wise). I guess technically it's not my call (or job) to find the artists, but he's an awesome artist of SOOO many mediums (my avatar is done by him, from a few years ago).. I thought it'd be fun work for him as I'm family.. and honestly.. his work is phenomenal. I'll post pics of all the stuff he's done for me (soooo many different mediums, literally).

I apologize for the length of my response. I don't talk about my writing much as it was more of a hobby while I was teaching, now acting.. but I enjoy doing it so I'm going to actively pursue it now that I have more time (acting takes up time, but not like 12-14 hour teaching days of having to both open/close the school, write curriculum, teach, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I loved doing it, but I'm 32 and I have white hair from it.. Haha!!

So yeah, I won't be on here nearly as much anymore (count your blessings) because I really should be writing more to finish up the series. You can't just sit down and write, it has to come to you, but one way for that to happen is by having a set routine, and my on-line time is time I could be using to write my fiction in.. whoops.

I was going to post something along these lines soon anyways.. but I'll blame you, Mandragora, for this long message as you asked me what I write.. so I decided to let loose both barrels. Haha.

Anyways, I'm calling her tomorrow.. I plan on giving her the thumbs-up to shop the first two books by the end of the year, giving me time now to play with three and four (and come to terms with the fact that I'm giving my babies up).

I can mail you/email you/whatever the gist of the books if you want, Mandragora. I've done so with a few other people on here already. No harm in doing so. But I'll keep you and the others that have hollered at me about this in the loop as I work on them.

I had no idea there'd be another writer on here when I joined SF, it's great that Teague's on here also. He's obviously gifted by what you guys post regarding his works..and the accolades he's received.. (I checked your site, Teague.. haha. Keep it up, man... that's awesome. I totally support and respect your efforts.) I unfortunately "butt heads" with him more than I "play ball" with him, but it's probably out of jealousy or frustration that he's putting his novels out while I'm just sitting on mine... My own family tells me "publish the damned books already". I have nothing but respect for Teague's work (which I need to pick up), I just get irritated that my schedule (and stubborn nature when it comes to this) has kept me from publishing until now. Teague is just as busy as I am (although obviously moreso, as he has children, and my wife and I don't yet), yet he has the discipline I need to find again, pretty much. All this probably has roots in why the few times we've interacted, I've purposely tried to poke him with this sharp stick I keep by my desk.. unfairly. I don't dislike you, I'm jealous of you. :) I like how you "play ball" back, though... discretion still hurts with sharp sticks.. Haha.. Love ya, man.

Chances are he won't even read this so he'll just assume I'm still the cranky "know-it-all". :) So be it.

-Ryan

superdoug
01-19-2008, 02:19 AM
That's very cool, Argonus. I'm always interested in unique fantasy, so if you don't mind PMing me, as well, I'd love to know more about them.

And how weird that you mentioned San Luis Obispo! My grandparents and aunt actually live in Los Osos, which is just down the road.

Keeping on-topic, I just finished The Last Days of Krypton, which is a great novel by Kevin J. Anderson regarding the last few years of Superman's home planet. It's very, very good, and you'll be surprised at who you'll sympathize with in it!

Argonus
01-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Hahah.. I edited my name into the previous post.. "Ryan" works better.

I'll pm you soon enough. :) I have a Rock Band "session" starting in less than 30 minutes (with my bro-in-law and others, ironically).. I'll do it tomorrow after some rest though... damned drive and Rock Band will probably put me into a coma. :)

My mother lives in Los Osos, Doug. I'm a Navy brat.. because of this, we've lived everywhere, but when we moved up from Miramar, SLO County grabbed her (post-divorce). :D Crazy that the median home price around SLO is $600k now, I think.. I wish L.A. and San Francisco would leave that area and the small businesses there alone, but of course.. they won't.

superdoug
01-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Again, more weird symmetry. I am also a Navy brat. Now, if you tell me you were in Japan at any time during the 70s, that would be strange indeed. :)

That is strange about the price of houses in that area. My grandparents have lived on the same lot as long as I can remember.

Argonus
01-19-2008, 02:54 AM
I lived in Guam briefly, and Hawaii for quite some time (over five years). Combined, they sorta make Japan... Hahah.. kidding, kidding. :)

Have a good night, Doug. I'll pm you the stuff tomorrow. :)

superdoug
01-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Night, Ryan! Have fun rocking out! :buttrock:

rilynil
01-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Wow! That's quite a story, Ryan! I hope I get to read some of your work some day.
Although I hate that you won't be around the forum as much, I believe putting your efforts
into your writing and acting is MUCH more important.
Good luck with everything! Stop and and say hi in the Blob thread from time to time!

In the meantime, have a couple of sundaes and some pancakes!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/nadams65/photos%202/Blobsundae.jpghttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/nadams65/photos%202/Blobsundae.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/nadams65/Blobspancakes.jpg
Don't be a stranger, Ryan! :thumbs2:

Ink
01-21-2008, 06:22 AM
the halo series of books is really good. I read fall of reach and was master chiefs origin! the flood is the first halo game

Babytoxie
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I just finished Jack Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth, a classic of fantasy. What a cool series of books. It's set on a far future Earth where science and technology have evolved into magic.

Interesting note: Gary Gygax incorporated Vance's concepts of spellcasting into Dungeons & Dragons.

Argonus
01-22-2008, 02:40 AM
the halo series of books is really good. I read fall of reach and was master chiefs origin! the flood is the first halo game

I played through Halo 2 and 3 and enjoyed their "storylines", for the most part.. but word is that the books add far more material to the series, really fleshing out the universe. Isn't there a ton of Halo books out, though? The origin of MC sounds engaging.. which one is that?

As engrossing as Mass Effect's universe is after only one game (of the trilogy) having been released thus far, I hope Mass Effect fiction is written. I'm not sure I would read it (my wife reads sci-fi, lately I'm more into non-fiction or apocalyptic fiction), but I KNOW if handled correctly, it would sell relatively well. The game really does an in-depth job of fleshing out what we know so far, but there's always some room for artistic license (perhaps a book could be crafted concerning how an individual on one of the known worlds took part or witnessed one of the conflict that either takes place in ME 1, or one of the conflicts that is referenced in ME 1). The Turians and Krogans each had huge wars in their past, as do the Quarians as (if I recall correctly) they bump into the Geth every so often.

Ink
01-22-2008, 06:50 AM
I played through Halo 2 and 3 and enjoyed their "storylines", for the most part.. but word is that the books add far more material to the series, really fleshing out the universe. Isn't there a ton of Halo books out, though? The origin of MC sounds engaging.. which one is that?

there are 5 books out so far

the fall of reach
the flood
first strike
ghosts of onyx
contact harvest

the fall of reach is the one you want. not only is it the origin of master chief, but the whole spartan program, and how he's the only one left.

the flood is dead on halo 1

somehow the library here doesn't have first strike or ghosts of onyx

contact harvest actually stars sgt. johnson from the games. haven't started reading, but I will today. there are alot of characters in the book that never got into the game. also goes into the covenant and some of their people

snappahead
01-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Just finished reading The Rising by Brian Keene. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's a pretty different spin on the zombie apocalypse genre. I still prefer the Romero type, but the smart, talking pure evil zombies in Keene's book have a surprising charm of their own. Gotta check out City of the Dead and Dead Sea now.

Ink
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
reserved the missing halo books :thumbs2:

protector2814
01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Just finished reading The Rising by Brian Keene. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's a pretty different spin on the zombie apocalypse genre. I still prefer the Romero type, but the smart, talking pure evil zombies in Keene's book have a surprising charm of their own. Gotta check out City of the Dead and Dead Sea now.

I just started it. He just got the cell call. Hadn't heard of Keene 'til I talked? to you. Thanks.

snappahead
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I just started it. He just got the cell call. Hadn't heard of Keene 'til I talked? to you. Thanks.

NP..you've been a big help, so I'm glad I could return the favor..that's of course assuming you enjoy it as much as I did. Picked up parts 2 and 3 today, so I'll be digging in to those shortly:)

I should note that the ending is gonna PISS you off. It's a real jip and clearly a sequel was planned from the beginning. That's been one of it's biggest complaints from readers.

Mandragora
01-23-2008, 07:01 PM
hey all,

so, first of all, this is really cool:

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/worldwarz/

. .. and hit the 'calculate risk' button

hey Argonus,

your work sounds very cool and i'd be very interested in looking at some of it.

its interesting that you mentioned horror,and then went on to atypical fantasy . .because my favorite writer ever is clive barker. he gets pigeonholed often as a 'horror' writer, which may be the case for his early stuff, but his later stuff is beyond anything else i've ever read. specifically Imajica

hope to see some of your stuff soon :)

Argonus
01-25-2008, 08:27 PM
hey Argonus,

hope to see some of your stuff soon :)

So do I.. :)

I'm really going to try and MAKE myself find the time to write this year. My budding V/A career (and budding kids-on-the-way.. eep) will probably slow me down a little, but we'll see what happens. I'm at the point now where I think I can let "my babies leave the nest", as they say, creatively. I cherish my stuff, but hoarding it this long is silly. :)

I know OF Clive Barker (who doesn't?), but I've never read his stuff (my loss, probably). I know Dean Koontz (who I read voraciously at one time) was thought of as being a suspense writer until he wrote a particular novel (I THINK it was "Whispers"), after which he was usually labelled as a horror writer (much to his disdain.. as he explains in the foreword of that same book). It's funny how book themes can change the public's view on what "genre pie" an author usually has his fingers poked into.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Argonus
01-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks!! I'll definitely at least read "The Fall of the Reach"... not much into sci-fi (wife is, though... BIG-time), but MC's origin and the Spartan Program's downfall would be a fun read, I'm sure. :)

there are 5 books out so far

the fall of reach
the flood
first strike
ghosts of onyx
contact harvest

the fall of reach is the one you want. not only is it the origin of master chief, but the whole spartan program, and how he's the only one left.

glassdancer
01-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I have statues on my bookshelves....

Argonus
01-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I have statues on my bookshelves....

:eek: :banghead: :rolleyes::buttrock:

Devils Drifter
01-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Anyway THAT book was REPLAY by Ken Grimwood. You have got to read this book, it's fantastic. I've read many books in my life but this one stands out above just about all of them. It's a compelling read. This book got to me in a way most books never could and it really made me think about my life. The story is a twist on the classic time-travel tradition and presents the question "What if you could live you life over and over again, knowing the mistakes you'd made before." This book is worth hunting down. Trust me.

Zurb, I just wanted to say thanks for recommending this book. It was a really powerful book, even my dreams were affected as I kept dreaming that I was replaying the day's events over and over again. I loved the book and you are so right that it does get to you.

- DD

JLM
09-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Just finished The Day of the Triffids.

Tatterdemalion
09-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Just finished The Day of the Triffids.

Nicely done - you should try to track down a VHS of the film adaptation; the Triffids themselves are a tad laughable in the film, but the core horror of a world gone completely blind is pretty visceral. I understand there's a contemporary sequel called Night of the Triffids, but I know very little of it.

I finished Stephan Laws' DARKFALL a week or so ago; it's a Leisure Horror mass market paperback and concerns the mysterious disappearance of an entire office complex's population during a strange storm on Christmas Eve. It's relatively high concept, but the execution is poor, and the latter half of the book is as repetitive as it is unimaginative. Laws' isn't an incapable writer, but his plots have a tendency to ultimately fall flat as a result of poor structure; see his earlier book, THE WYRM, for another example of a great set-up that peters out. He's more adept at characterization than most of the authors Leisure publishes, though, so Laws is still an easier read than, say, the shallowness of Tim Lebbon.

Similarly, I read Gord Rollo's THE JIGSAW MAN, a freshly minted novel also from Leisure; it happens to be Rollo's first novel, too. Rollo's got some good characterization, too, but ultimately, it's the first person point-of-view that does the greatest disservice; Rollo doesn't use it to its full extent in terms of having a better understanding of the protagonist; it feels a lot less like we're inside of his head, seeing him make decisions, and more of us as spectators to his choices. Compare Rollo's first person to John D. MacDonald's in any of his Travis McGee novels; MacDonald was a master as first person, and although it's unfair to compare an author's first novel to the establishment that is MacDonald, it's still obvious a lot of potential was left on the table. Rollo's plot itself is a little derivative, and it hurts a bit to have the major element of the story esentially given away by the title, but at the very least it strikes upon that common fear of mutilation drummed up by the mere notion of surgery. Rollo lacks solid, interesting antagonists - the two he has are stock characters, unfortunately, and neither particularly memorable - but it's a good first effort that readers better than some of Leisure's veteran authors. I think Rollo would really shine with a stronger story and definitely a different point of view.

Now right I'm reading Peter Straub's GHOST STORY ... it is fairly mind-bending in its use of stories within stories within stories. It harkens back as much to old Gothic tales as it does postmodernism ... but Straub weaves a beautiful atmosphere so far.

JLM
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Nicely done - you should try to track down a VHS of the film adaptation; the Triffids themselves are a tad laughable in the film, but the core horror of a world gone completely blind is pretty visceral.

We may be talking about the same thing, but the BBC adapted it for TV when I was about 8. The image from inside a car of a group of blind people pressing against the windscreen all going "Help us!" totally freaked me out. :bawling:

No wonder it's taken me ages to read the book!

My next book is another Wyndham - The Midwich Cuckoos.

Tatterdemalion
09-05-2008, 03:32 PM
We may be talking about the same thing, but the BBC adapted it for TV when I was about 8. The image from inside a car of a group of blind people pressing against the windscreen all going "Help us!" totally freaked me out. :bawling:

No wonder it's taken me ages to read the book!

My next book is another Wyndham - The Midwich Cuckoos.

The BBC adaptation was in '81, the feature film was '62; I didn't even know about the BBC adaptation ... I'll have to see if I can track it down.

The Midwich Cuckoos? Awesome. I don't know if you just like Wyndham's style or if you enjoy horror film adaptations, but you should make a point of picking up Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE; as magnificent as Robert Wise's adaptation was, the actual book is one of the most masterful and frightening books I've ever read.

Enjoy The Midwich Cuckoos - just stay away from the John Carpenter adaptation! :)

JLM
09-05-2008, 03:47 PM
The BBC adaptation was in '81, the feature film was '62; I didn't even know about the BBC adaptation ... I'll have to see if I can track it down.

From what I gather, the Beeb's adaptation is a more faithful interpretation of the novel than the movie, although it updates the action to the (then) present day.

The Midwich Cuckoos? Awesome. I don't know if you just like Wyndham's style or if you enjoy horror film adaptations, but you should make a point of picking up Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE; as magnificent as Robert Wise's adaptation was, the actual book is one of the most masterful and frightening books I've ever read.

I read Triffids as it's one of the those books that I've been meaning to read for years, and the first Wyndham novel I've read. Thought I'd give Cuckoos a go, as the movie image is fairly iconic. Thanks for the Hill House recommendation, I'll bear it in mind.

Enjoy The Midwich Cuckoos - just stay away from the John Carpenter adaptation! :)

Too right!

JLM
10-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Finished Midwich Cuckoos (trips to London proving very useful for finishing books). Enjoyed it, but didn't expect a lot of the book to be taken up with the moral discussion.

Shall take a break from Wydham for the time being, and find something else to read.