PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting picky with Bowen Designs

blackstar10
09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
I've been a collector for some time and had been on automatic with everything that came out--really didn't pay attention with non-Bowen product. Randy is still one of the best out there and I'm glad other artist are getting the opportuntiy to display their work through Bowen.
Due to the amount of product (which makes for a big month) and what I view as a lack of former Bowen quaility, I'm finally starting to pull back. This month with Spiderwoman and Green Goblin really made me think do I really want to spend this much for these? Ok sculpts, but not what I typically think of for Bowen.

Don't get me wrong. By and large I really enjoy most of what comes out--1st hulk, Thanos, Warlock, Cap, Thor, etc--however at $150 a pop (minus your discount) the bar is pretty high. Some of the newer stuff just isn't there.

This is not to start a flaming thread, but am I the only one that feels this way? I remember a few years ago I would only buy Bowen without seeing the piece first because other companies were so hit and miss. Bowen is still good, but not every piece has the quality it one had.

Daredevil
09-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Thats why it pays to not be a completist of any kind, but only buying whawt you truly like.

boobhound
09-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Thats why it pays to not be a completist of any kind, but only buying whawt you truly like.
EXACTLY!

If everyone had of started out that way and stayed that way, alot of the seeming ''hatred'' wouldn't show thru in some people's posts.

lord odin
09-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Amen.

lord odin
09-04-2006, 06:24 PM
EXACTLY!

If everyone had of started out that way and stayed that way, alot of the seeming ''hatred'' wouldn't show thru in some people's posts.
I agree.

Jesse321
09-04-2006, 06:25 PM
You're hardly the only person that feels this way, I've (and several others on the forum) been noticing more "quality issues" happening of late .. this isn't bashing, it's just observations from my point of view.

I also gave up being a completist a while ago, and I'm WAY happier now than I was before.

Statuesque Fellow
09-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Anyone who buys something they don't like and feel is not worth the $$, but forks over the cash for it anyways, is a moron. Plain and simple.

Alex655321
09-04-2006, 06:38 PM
My choices have always been easy.
I only buy what I like :buttrock:

I believe posting how you feel is good and constructive.
Without feedback the producing company would not know how the customer truly feels.

Captain Late
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Let's not forget space considerations when we talk about picking and choosing. It was one thing to try and be "complete" when there were 30+ MBs and a dozen or so FS back in Ph 1 but to try and even store the bloody things at this accelerated rate would be a pain the @ss...! Heck, I'm both choosey and cheap and I still don't have room for the 10-20% of the sculpts I actually buy...

High Lord Apocalypse
09-04-2006, 06:55 PM
not being a completist i think lets you enjoy this hobby more(no more crying about missing an exclusive), saves you money at the end of each month, and every piece left in your collection brings a smile to your face cause these are only the ones that fits your standard in beauty and quality!

lord odin
09-04-2006, 07:06 PM
not being a completist i think lets you enjoy this hobby more(no more crying about missing an exclusive), saves you money at the end of each month, and every piece left in your collection brings a smile to your face cause these are only the ones that fits your standard in beauty and quality!
I thought when I was a completist I was having fun but I didn`t start to have fun until I stopped being one now I buy what I like.

Mastermold
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I agree one should only buy what they like, but disagree that there is a quality problem with the BD line. There have been a few pieces that have had issues, but by and large the sculpts and the line are improving, not getting worse.

risingstar
09-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Among the worst reasons to buy anything is out of habit...
You'd want this to be a hobby not an addiction.

Thumbs up for finding the way to say "no".

:thumbs2:

HalJordanFan
09-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I only buy what catches my eye. It doesn't matter what company makes it.

HoldyourfireAl
09-04-2006, 08:30 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but mine is vastly different. When I got my 1st Bowen, which was the FS Cap, I fell in love! Unfortunately, I did not get into the busts. They seemed small & puny to me & not worth my time. Later in Phase 1, FS statures came out that A. I was not interested in (such as the horrendously over exposed to the point of not being special anymore X-Men) or B. I thought the sculpts were terrible (my apologies to the sculpters!) eventhough some of them were my favorite characters (The Incredible Hulk & Green Goblin come to mind).
I sort of forgot about Bowen stuff for awhile, but then came things like the Christopher Priest style Black Panther, Galactus, Vision, etc...And the mini-busts...WOW! They had arms now & were substantially bigger to the eye. I was hooked and am now like a damn crack addict! The new Green Goblin is light years ahead of the original! The first one looks like a high school project & the new one looks like it was created by a master! Even Randy has gotten better with age! I didn't like his original Thor at all, but the new one is FANTASTIC! All I can say is that I think Bowen has the best stuff out there, because of attention to detail, character's history, the paint, and especially the improvement in sculpturers. Some from the old days are still around, but just like Randy, have improved immensely! Bowen Designs is the company to beat & is only getting better.

Al

blackstar10
09-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Great response. I agree the new Thor looks great.

Maybe my problem is that there is so much new stuff that it is easy to be picky. I do believe that the orginal run was great--most of it was Randy alone. The new stuff is good, but as in all things, when it grows you won't always please everyone.

Despite my first message, I do believe I will be collecting Bowen stuff for a long time. It is still the best out there, and as long as they more often than not capture the true essence of a character, I'm there.

The fun part is that while a large percentage of the world is concerned about war and where the next meal may come from we are at a forum discussing resin. We have a lot to be thankful for, and miss it most of the time.

armitage
09-04-2006, 09:34 PM
"...while a large percentage of the world is concerned about war and where the next meal may come from we are at a forum discussing resin. We have a lot to be thankful for, and miss it most of the time."

Exactly!
:thumbs2:

The Fog
09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I won't have a problem displaying my entire collection, but the damn boxes, there going to be everywhere.

JadeGiant
09-04-2006, 10:49 PM
I am still a completist

I buy only those sculpts that I completely like ... not by company, by sculpture

Jesse321
09-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Let me just bring this up to clear the air about something, cause lord knows my words have been both misinterpreted or down right taken totally out of context of late.

"Quality control issues" are a vastly different animal than sculpt or design issues!

In so far as designs, sculpts and choice of characters go, by far Bowen leads the pack no holds barred ... the majority of the problems that seem to be happening (I believe) are based more on the production end, rather than the artistic one.

But ultimately, it's Bowen's name on the box, not the manufacturer's, so they are the ones that have to (and should) be addressing them.

I also agree that, in the grand scheme of things, the problems here are so low on the totem poll that they're ridiculous ... but this isn't a world events forum, it's a statue forum.

bat_collector
09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Buying what you like is the way to go.

Also, I agree, we should be thankful we aren't worrying about some of the stuff people around the world have to worry about.

loricstone
09-04-2006, 11:15 PM
I've been a collector for some time and had been on automatic with everything that came out--really didn't pay attention with non-Bowen product. Randy is still one of the best out there and I'm glad other artist are getting the opportuntiy to display their work through Bowen.
Due to the amount of product (which makes for a big month) and what I view as a lack of former Bowen quaility, I'm finally starting to pull back. This month with Spiderwoman and Green Goblin really made me think do I really want to spend this much for these? Ok sculpts, but not what I typically think of for Bowen.

Don't get me wrong. By and large I really enjoy most of what comes out--1st hulk, Thanos, Warlock, Cap, Thor, etc--however at $150 a pop (minus your discount) the bar is pretty high. Some of the newer stuff just isn't there.

This is not to start a flaming thread, but am I the only one that feels this way? I remember a few years ago I would only buy Bowen without seeing the piece first because other companies were so hit and miss. Bowen is still good, but not every piece has the quality it one had.

In some ways, I do feel this way. But it is not due to the lack of quality of Bowen's statues. It has to do with much tougher and in some instances better competition from other sculptors and companies. I will name two to be specific. 1)First and foremost, the most awesomely sculpted, detatiled, and painted affordable statues, are none other than MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE FS Statue line by THE FOUR HORSEMEN (word is spreading how awsome they truly are); secondly, the Hard Hero statue line sculpted by SETH VANDABLE (the continuity of the size and style of the statues) is awesome. That's not to say Bowen is not putting out some pieces that are better than the other two (Apocalypse FS just to name one), its just that there is more consistency with the other two. Sideshow could be the best, if their statues were more reasonably priced. I really have to choose each month what I like best and go from there. ;)

riderV3
09-04-2006, 11:46 PM
There's a Sunfire mb in my LCS totally make me sick cuz the paint job is AWFUL!! I don't know why can that pass QC, but it's there and all messed up... :puke2:
I have the same feeling with you all, the products BD put out lately are a bit weak...
There're some pretty awesome MBs coming up, if BD screw those up... you know what'll happen! :eplus2:

Daredevil
09-04-2006, 11:54 PM
The weakest part about Bowen Designs is their factory production and their so-called "quality control"

riderV3
09-05-2006, 12:00 AM
The weakest part about Bowen Designs is their factory production and their so-called "quality control"
And that's what get my nerve... :banghead:
What I hate the most is when I bought a MB in a store and found a better paint job one in another store...I will go nut for a whole week and keep cussing...
I rarely see any QC problems for SS, but they got their share of problems.

HoldyourfireAl
09-05-2006, 01:14 AM
In some ways, I do feel this way. But it is not due to the lack of quality of Bowen's statues. It has to do with much tougher and in some instances better competition from other sculptors and companies. I will name two to be specific. 1)First and foremost, the most awesomely sculpted, detatiled, and painted affordable statues, are none other than MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE FS Statue line by THE FOUR HORSEMEN (word is spreading how awsome they truly are); secondly, the Hard Hero statue line sculpted by SETH VANDABLE (the continuity of the size and style of the statues) is awesome. That's not to say Bowen is not putting out some pieces that are better than the other two (Apocalypse FS just to name one), its just that there is more consistency with the other two. Sideshow could be the best, if their statues were more reasonably priced. I really have to choose each month what I like best and go from there. ;)

Not to start a debate here, but can you tell me what you like about Sideshow? My opinion based on their Green Goblin, Hulk, new Fantastic Four and others is that they make BIG statues, but they don't "look" like the classic Marvel characters.

As for Hard Hero, I may buy their Iron Man. He looks damn good. I think the rock base makes no sense in relation to Iron Man and I don't adore the fire from the boots, nor do I think it's the best pose ever, but I do LIKE how it looks like the Romita/Layton Iron Man a bit. And I LOVE the color! Aside from Iron Man, I will say the rest look very consistent, but are too cartoony for my tastes. They are right after Bowen in capturing that classic Marvel look. I wish them luck!

HoldyourfireAl
09-05-2006, 01:14 AM
There's a Sunfire mb in my LCS totally make me sick cuz the paint job is AWFUL!! I don't know why can that pass QC, but it's there and all messed up... :puke2:
I have the same feeling with you all, the products BD put out lately are a bit weak...
There're some pretty awesome MBs coming up, if BD screw those up... you know what'll happen! :eplus2:

Where did you get that Mazinga avatar? It's awesome!

HoldyourfireAl
09-05-2006, 01:15 AM

Honestly, I don't think anything besides the Thanos paint problem has been that big a deal. Too many of you are exaggerating!

Kirk Durfey
09-05-2006, 03:06 AM
I haven't had any problems with the paint jobs either...

Sniper
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
This month I passed on Rhino, spiderwoman and green goblin, wasnt felling any of these sculpts, I have to wait to see how rhino turns out, the pics was not enough for me to buy it

Force of Nature
09-05-2006, 04:41 PM
I only buy what catches my eye. It doesn't matter what company makes it.

I could not have said it better myself. Unless you are a millionaire with a BIG house I think being a completist is simply impossible for us regular Joe Blow's.
Besides, it would not do anyone good if you would only buy a statue or a bust to have it in your collection and not because you like it.

I buy what I like and what I can afford, it's as simple as that. I pass on a lot of statues but every now and then I buy something which I feel is truly outstanding. As a result my collection will perhaps only slowly increase but it contains only statues I truly dig.

Just my PoV though.

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!

TV8
09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
You're hardly the only person that feels this way, I've (and several others on the forum) been noticing more "quality issues" happening of late .. this isn't bashing, it's just observations from my point of view.

I also gave up being a completist a while ago, and I'm WAY happier now than I was before.

agree entirely. Punisher first app - turning point.

loricstone
09-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Not to start a debate here, but can you tell me what you like about Sideshow? My opinion based on their Green Goblin, Hulk, new Fantastic Four and others is that they make BIG statues, but they don't "look" like the classic Marvel characters.

As for Hard Hero, I may buy their Iron Man. He looks damn good. I think the rock base makes no sense in relation to Iron Man and I don't adore the fire from the boots, nor do I think it's the best pose ever, but I do LIKE how it looks like the Romita/Layton Iron Man a bit. And I LOVE the color! Aside from Iron Man, I will say the rest look very consistent, but are too cartoony for my tastes. They are right after Bowen in capturing that classic Marvel look. I wish them luck!

I don't necessarily care for their marvel line of statues. I agree that they tend to take some liberties with the look of Marvel's Characters. The new Fantastic Four Diorama for instance just looks off. But that is not where Sideshow excels. They excel in their Weta workshop collectibles, i.e. their exact scale busts and movie statue line. For details and accuracy, there simply is none better as they are done by pros that work or have worked in the movie industry with Stan Winston and others. The Lord of Darkness full size bust for instance is unmatched, as well as their Predator and Alien Full Size Busts. One of the all time greatest Statues ever made in this present day and age is none other than the 24 inch Predator FS Statue. Wow! Nuff said! However, I don't have a thousand bucks to dish out like that, so it prevents me from buying their stuff. But these guys, The Four Horsemen, they are the shiznit and are getting better and better with each He Man and The Masters of the Universe FS Statues they release. Everyone will know about these guys on this forum, whether they like them or not. I will see to it! :eplus2: Check this out! http://i8.tinypic.com/2hczuad.jpg and this http://i7.tinypic.com/2mw5jbd.jpg