PDA

View Full Version : wkft's and Sam Wilson's Reviews (with Guest Reviewers!) 9/28/06

wktf
09-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Wktf’s Reviews

Well, once again I had one week this month that was a mega comic week. After three more-or-less dry weeks in a row I blow close to $100 at the lcs this week. You’d think Marvel and DC would better distribute their books over the month. My lcs owner said his inventory this week was over $5k which, I understand, makes it an expensive week for him as well. But lots of great books. Too many, in fact, for the two of us to adequately review on our own. So, once again, we’ve enlisted statueforum.com’s own Kdawg and jdh.goodgrief to lend a hand. Highlights this week, though, include a Civil War turning point in Amazing Spider-Man, the 100th issue for Bendis and Bagley on Ultimate Spider-Man, the conclusion to an exciting cliffhanger in Action Comics, the first of the several Stan Lee Meets comics celebrating The Man’s 65th anniversary with Marvel and the first trade volume of Thor: The Eternals Saga.

In a medium that’s just finished an Infinite Crisis and now is writhing in Civil War my pick of the week goes to The Ultimates, a book that has nothing to do with either but delivers some of the most brutally graphic kick-ass superhero excitement and violence you’ll find between two covers!

The Ultimates 2 #12
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Brian Hitch

Most people don’t even talk about this book any more which really is a shame even though, due to its scheduling delays, it’s pretty understandable. The Ultimates have been dismantled and defeated by a group of foreign heroes calling themselves “The Liberators,” heroes manufactured by other nations in fear of the United States, primarily due to the U.S. government’s use of The Ultimates for covert overseas operations. And, in addition, The Liberators have Loki, the Asgardian god of mischief, in their corner who seems Hel bent to enable this team to create World War III on the planet. Last issue, though The Ultimates had been captured and America was successfully invaded, our heroes began to gain some leverage thanks to the tenacity of Captain America and the raw anger and power of the newly emerged Hulk. If we can leave the political metaphors Millar may or may not be trying to communicate and look at this comic as a mega-superhero melee then any comic book fan from any political party should just have a ball with this issue.

Each member of The Ultimates faces off against his counterpart. Captain America vs. Abdul al-Rahman from the northwest province of Azerbaijan, who appears to be the Ultimate Universe’s Red Guardian. The Hulk vs. The Abomination. Quicksilver vs. the speedster Hurricane. The Wasp vs. a woman who appears to be the ultimate Swarm. These are NOT your typical superhero/super villain showdowns by any stretch of the imagination. If, like me, you were shocked in 2001 reading Incredible Hulk #25 when John Romita, Jr. drew an enraged Hulk punching the Abomination so damn hard an eyeball literally popped out of the poor Russian’s head, you still may not be fully prepared for what happens here. Brian Hitch ups the gross out factor by about 10 starting with how Quicksilver dispatches Hurricane, and then by another 10x when the Hulk, spouting off some hilarious dialogue, literally dismantles The Abomination. And Captain America ensures that when his battle with Abdul ends, it’s final. The European super soldiers led by Ultimate Union Jack, free Spider-Man, the FF and the X-Men who also go to work. Yes, there’s a reason the clever title of this Ultimates issue is “The Avengers.” Time for some avenging.

But, there’s one more issue before Millar and Hitch’s series comes to an end. And one more hero/villain match up yet to occur. And it’s the big one. The man who’s been moving the characters in this story like chess pieces on a board must face the man who’s suffered some of the worst abuse and shame at his hands. And the closing panel promises the next issue will most definitely be worth waiting for. I just hope we don’t have to wait too much longer for it.

Captain America #22
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Mike Perkins

I appear to be in denial. I’ve long said that Brubaker’s Daredevil and Captain America are my two favorite books on the market. However, when pressed to choose between them (you know, if you were only allowed to pick one) my vote went to Daredevil. Well, both books came out this week and I reached for Captain America first. Maybe it’s because last issue gave us the teaming of Cap with Bucky, The Winter Soldier, after more than six decades and a cover reminiscent of that classic Avengers #4 panel depicting Bucky’s death. Or maybe it’s because this book, finally, has entered Civil War continuity, I’m sympathetic to Cap’s side and, in the hands of Brubaker, my expectation is another killer issue. And that’s just what I got.

Sharon Carter, Agent 13, through a series of flashbacks during a SHIELD psych evaluation, reviews the recent Civil War happenings to date and, naturally, her focus is on Cap. She seems to really be in hot water with SHIELD Director Maria Hill, who shows Sharon the footage of Cap plowing through a troop of SHIELD soldiers from CW #1, for her relationship with Cap. Her conversation with Dum Dum Dugan, who’s recovering from the beating Cap gave him and his men in New Avengers, is actually very touching as we hear Dugan’s sorrow and regret over the whole situation. But it’s her flashback to a night she spent with Cap, now a fugitive, which is the most powerful. Here Brubaker has the two lovers quote famous Americans like Ben Franklin and Thomas Paine as they argue the two sides of this conflict. And both argue convincingly. In fact, Sharon brings some much needed sympathy to the pro-registration side, something this side’s been lacking almost since this conflict began. But as Sharon ends her session with her psychologist, Brubaker doesn’t let us forget that The Red Skull still is out there and even introduces another villain from Cap’s pantheon of villains, one I haven’t seen since Frank Robbins drew him in the 1970s, to explain why the Skull forced Crossbones and Sin to spare her life last issue.

Mike Perkins is no Steve Epting but his art works just fine here to convey the dark mood and tension of this story. Brubaker’s plot, pacing and script is spot-on perfect. This book may well be the finest, most consistent book any comic book company has to offer.

Now, after work today, I’ve gotta get to Daredevil!

Batman #657
DC Comics
Written by: Grant Morrison
Drawn by: Andy Kubert

This is going to be a bad month for Tim Drake, now that Batman has brought the child he seems to have sired with Talia Head to the Batcave in this title and he’s going to suffer through a kidnapping by The Joker in Paul Dini’s upcoming Detective Comics issue. The kid can’t get a break.

Having dispatched all of Gotham’s villains except Two-Face, Bruce Wayne takes a vacation to England with Alfred. But of course, no vacation for Bruce is long-lived. Not only did he encounter and battle several Man-Bats last issue, he was delivered unconscious to Talia who surprised him with the son she bore from their night together in Son of the Demon. However, Damian was trained by Talia’s League of Assassins and has acquired both the skills of a trained killer and that attitude of an angry, neglected pre-teen. Damian’s temper is volatile at best but Batman, despite attempts at patience, puts the boy in his place in the most Dark Knight of ways. Through intimidation. The problem is, though, that while Damian may respect his father he has no respect for Alfred as an authority figure nor Tim, certainly, as anything. Adding to the errors in judgment in leaving Azrael to carry his mantle after “Broken Bat” and Harvey Dent as Gotham’s protector during his one year post-Infinite Crisis absence, Batman leaves Alfred and Tim with Damian while he investigates The Spook. No good can come of this and, sure enough, none does.

Morrison’s got a captivating story going here, and one that’s taken someone decades to finally push forward. And Kubert’s art is exceptional. Everything from the detail in the Batcave and Gotham skyline to the range of emotions on these characters’ faces is just first rate. While the prior two issues gave us a mix of Bruce Wayne and Batman, this issue is all Batman and it seems next issue will be the same. While Dini’s been exploring the detective elements in his work, Morrison’s been showing us the importance of Bruce to the Bat, and I hope we see more of that. Supposedly, next issue is the conclusion of this story and I also hope it’s not ended too abruptly as it seems we should have a few more issues to play this arc out. But, we’ll see. Morrison and Kubert have been delivering the goods thus far. Between this title and Detective Comics Batman’s the best he’s been in several years.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

A pretty good this week, the spotlight (for me anyway) being Ultimate Spider-Man #100 (and who is not to love that Bagley/Romita Sr. tribute cover. Damn that’s smoking…). Also some cool trades: the last volume of Andy Diggle and Jocks The Losers (a book I loved that no one else ever seemed to care about) and Marvel’s Supreme Power: High Command trade, more “Civil War” action in Heroes For Hire and the final Chaykin/Simonson issue of Hawkgirl (booo). My pick of the week is Ultimate Spider-Man #100 (yay), and with that being said, on to the reviews…

Hawkgirl issue #56
DC Comics
Written by: Walter Simonson
Drawn by: Howard Chaykin

Gotta admit, I’m a little saddened that this is the last Simonson/Chaykin issue of “Hawkgirl”, but it’s been a good ride. Thus far, Simonson and Chaykin have been bringing us the adventures of the Kendra Saunders Hawkgirl who is a museum administrator in St. Roch, Louisiana. Hawkman has been missing for over a year (presumably after the events of the “Rann/Thangarian War”) and Kendra has been doing a bang up job reinvigorating the museum after the recent environmental catastrophes that have plagued the region. Anyway, weird things have been happening in St. Roch, homeless people have been found violently murdered, attempts have been made on Kendra’s life and she’s been sleeping funny, and gang violence has escalated. I should also mention the museum is in deep financial trouble. St. Roch PD detectives Brubs and Doucett have been investigating the homeless killings and the possible gang connection, and come across, umm, a really ugly tattooed chick that is also tied into the museum, Kendra’s past and possibly Hawkman. Things go bad, people get killed, the ugly tattooed chick is arrested and escapes, Kendra looks pretty sexy most of the time and thus we come to our latest and final issue in this arc, issue #56…

Kendra has the final showdown with the tattooed chick and an old villain finally reveals himself to her, a really, really old villain. Detective Doucett makes his way to Kendra to help out, and things pretty much end happily ever after. Yeah, the story kind of lost it at the end, it got a little too weird, creepy tattoos chicks, weird Egyptian references and spiked tentacles. Yes, spiked tentacles. Anyway, the first four issues of this arc were pretty good, and who knows what future lies in wait for Hawkgirl…

Heroes for Hire issue #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jimmi Palmiotti and Justin Grey
Drawn by: Bill Tucci (who is a total a-clown by the way)

First, I want to start this review by saying this is not the “Heroes for Hire” that we grew up with. There is no Luke Cage or Daniel Rand (Iron Fist), Danny won’t be getting in trouble for not picking up Luke’s ding dongs, there will be no trademark Jim Owsley snappy dialogue (aka Christopher Priest), quite possible “Heroes For Hire” may not even have as big of a heart as the series did back in the ‘80’s, but I’m gonna give it a chance. It still has Misty Knight and Colleen wing, the “Daughters of the Dragon”, who in their recent mini series “Daughters of the Dragon” showed us they are still a couple of bad ass foxy chicas who will put a mutherfu$#er down to pay the bills; and having Shang Chi, aka the Master of Kung Fu around doesn’t hurt either. Black Cat I could give a crap about, but whatever. What does bug me though is how this series is starting out smack in the middle of the Civil War, with the girls (and Shang Chi) being on the side of the “man”…

For those of you who read the “Daughter’s of the Dragon” limited series (now available in tpb form) Misty and Colleen own and operate a successful bail bonds office. With this new series they are being dragged into the Civil War by Iron Man, who wants to put a human face to his new Gov’t superhero squad. Misty and Colleen agree, but only if they hunt rogue super criminals, not heroes. Colleen wants no part of hunting heroes, or more importantly she does not want to get in the middle of a war she sees brewing. The new team is interesting; in addition to Shang Chi we have Humbug (a reformed villain with control over bugs, no really, he’s useful), a new female Tarantula who is somewhat of a mystery and a super bad backup squad featuring Paladin (remember him?) and Orca. Issue two deals with the aftermath of Civil War #4, and the death of a hero fighting on Cap’s side. Misty is ticked, and has it out with Stark, so she decides she is going to take things to Cap and see if she can get him to work things out peacefully. In the meantime, the team also stumbles upon a Skrull organ transplant operation (yes, Skrull). Things go from bad to worse, a team member sells Misty and the crew out, but we also see the gang reunited with the original “Hero For Hire,” Luke Cage.

I tell you, these first two issues have a lot going on. “Civil War” action, Luke Cage, Skrulls, and damn if it isn’t cool as hell. Yes, I’m not Bill Tucci’s biggest fan but he does an aiight job on this book and Palmoiotti and Grey are firing on all cylinders as far as the story goes. If you are a fan of Luke, Misty and “Hero’s for Hire” of any sort, check this book out.

Ultimate Spider-Man #100
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Mark Bagley
Variant Cover: a smoking hot tribute to JR SR by Mark Bagley. Damn it’s nice…

For those of you who have never read my reviews before, let me just say, I’ve been championing USM for quite some time. Yes, there are plenty of ultimate-haters out there, but USM has been held to a high standard of quality for almost its entire run, largely due to the consistency of its creative team, Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley. Bendis has brought Spidey back to his teen angst roots, paying homage to classic Spidey lore and giving us some great original stories to boot. Anyway, recently in USM, Peter Parker fought the Scorpion on the streets of New York to make a startling discovery, the Scorpion had his (Parker’s) face. He took the Scorpion to Reed Richards for analysis and discovered that the Scorpion was a clone of himself. After finding this out Peter fled in terror to the house he lived in before Gwen Stacey died to make another staring discovery, Gwen Stacey, alive. Yeah. Aunt May shows up looking for Peter and almost faints when she sees Gwen, and to calm her down Peter revealed to her he was Spider-Man. Surprisingly, this didn’t calm her down and Aunt May told Peter to get the hell out of our house. All this, and Mary Jane is being held in a glass tube somewhere. Which makes me think, after 100 issues of “Ultimate Spider Man”, what do the Brits have to say? Yes ladies and gents, back again is everyone’s favorite British dude, your friend and mine Jess Harold, aka jdh.goodgrief, statueforum’s resident cartoonist, once again giving us his thoughts in his semi-regular review column, “Ask a British Dude”…

So Jess, what do you think of “Ultimate Spider Man”?

Well, we all thought it was a bad idea. ‘Ultimate Spider-Man’?!? Why not ‘*****in’ Spiderman’, or ‘Peter Parker the Totally Awesome Spider-Dude’? It didn’t help that the idea followed fast on the heels of Chapter One, an awful retooling of Spidey’s origin by comics legend John Byrne himself. How could this nobody called Bendis do a better job? Well, in honour of this landmark achievement by Brian Michael and his collaborator Mark Bagley, I’m going to do something unusual for a comics fan on the internet – I’m going to admit I was wrong. Ultimate Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man comic I have ever read. I was brought up reading my dad’s Ditkos and Romitas, and collected my own way through the great Spidey comics of the 80s, and the atrocious Spidey comics of the 90s, right up to the hit-and-miss Spidey Comics of the 00s. USM trumps them all. And reading the Spider-Man Masterworks at the same time only serves to illustrate how much this revamped take on a classic superhero story was needed. The work of Lee, Ditko and Romita is to be cherished, no question, Romita’s in particular standing up to modern day scrutiny. But some of the more fantastical elements of the Silver Age classics detract from the strength of the ideas and themes Lee excelled at developing. For new readers, hunting out Spidey comics after seeing the movie, USM should hook them where older material may not. The writing is top-notch – believable dialogue, and Spidey is genuinely funny, which sadly is not always the case these days in the regular Marvel Universe. Bagley has grown as an artist over a soon-to-be record-breaking stint – while the penciller himself admits that MJ looks a little too much like Peter in a wig, his facial work is now much stronger, and his storytelling is some of the best in the business. And he’s done it all on time, often twice a month. His shoes will be impossible to fill when he takes his leave of the title next year.

Where some other Ultimate titles, such as the Ultimates, have a tendency to throw the baby out with the bathwater in modernizing classic Marvel Comics elements, and where Chapter One was maybe too reverential to the source material, USM has always struck a delicate balance, one that Goldilocks might find ‘just right’. We have the costume, no leather, no needless tweaks or updates; we have web shooters (unlike the ‘real’ Spidey now, amazingly); we have a cast of predominantly familiar characters (the regrettable Geldoff excepted). But then Bendis and Bagley update certain key elements to make the book work better for the modern reader – Parker isn’t such a hopeless nerd; a more developed MJ becomes almost a co-star of the book; Aunt May is stronger, more independent; big man on campus Harry Osborn isn’t ugly, and doesn’t wear a bow-tie. The villains are more deadly, more real – not just their wardrobes, but their motivations. Some battles Peter cannot win, emphasizing the danger he puts himself in. One of the book’s ongoing jokes is how difficult Peter actually finds it to keep his identity secret – the number of times he gets caught out just seems more believable in this modern age of surveillance and forensics. The team also deliver intriguing new takes on characters like Jean de Wolff (a favourite of Sam, wktf and mine from back in the day) and tie many of Spidey’s foes together in an ongoing plot that has bubbled to the boil nice and slowly over these past 100 issues. A century of Spidey issues that are a joy to read, it is an incredible achievement by the creative team. All the more so, ‘ultimately’, when one remembers how the marketers saddled it with that awful title…

wktf
09-28-2006, 09:42 AM
What a great week for comics. So great in fact that there's enough overspill and Joe and Sam have been kind enough to let me review a couple of books for them and for you.

Best part is I get to write another review where I can use my new favorite phrase come review time. Read through and see if you can't guess what that phrase is.

Eternals #4 (of 6)
Marvel
Written by: Neil (don't call me Diamond) Gaiman
Penciler: John (will pencil spidey again) Romita Jr.

Whew boy I have loved reviewing this title. To think I owe picking this up to Sammy telling me I needed to get the Dead Sexy Sersi cover for issue #1...

To recap this title so far I figured I would borrow the synopsis on the inside front cover rather than babble through it myself.

It's all Ike Harris's fault. He went to Mark Curry, talking of his dreams and memories of their lives as gods called "Eternals." Mark didn't believe Ike's rants and, in a move that would end his medical career, allowed two men posing as doctors to take Ike away. The only silver lining to the events for Mark was meeting the beautiful party planner Sersi, who invited him to the party she was throwing at the Vorozheikan Embassy. Sersi was hired by Deputy Prime Minister of Vorozheika Druig, who didn't tell Sersi that the whole party was a ruse to kindap a group of leading scientists. One of this group was Thena Eliot, who works for Tony Stark, A.K.A. Iron Man. However, someone other than Druig was puling the kidnappers' strings and ordered them, after abducting the scientists, to kill the rest of the party guests. First killed was Thena's husband. Mark was able to save everyone else with super speed that he didn't even know he possessed--speed that made him wonder if what Ike had told him was true. Thena and the rest of the abductees were rescued by Iron Man. Meanwhile, Druig has begun hunting down those who betrayed him, Mark has gone to see child-star Sprite (whom Ike spoke of as an Eternal), and Ikaris... Well, it seems that being atomized might not have been the end of him.

This brings us to issue #4. We open with a newly resurrected Ike inside the reactivation chamber of Olympus and a computer acknowledging him as an Eternal. Things are starting to roll for our main characters now as the events of previous issues have them questioning themselves, each other and everything they have ever known. Mark believes that Ike isn't as crazy as previously thought and seeks out Sprite to answer his questions.

Much to Mark's surprise and disbelief, Sprite starts breaking everything down for him and explaining the reasons why the Eternals and their existence in the Marvel U has been all but forgotten. It turns out that Sprite has more than enough answers for Mark as the issue progresses and things reveal themselves to not be what they seem.

Turns out Sprite doesn't like being Eternally 11 years old and has been up to a little UNI-Mind mischief.

Other Eternals are starting to get the picture here and the tide of the mini-series is starting to turn. There's an ass kicking coming and Thena and Ike are the ones that are going to start the reckoning.

This mini series has been incredibly entertaining and I find myself wanting to have all 6 issues in hand and go back to re-read them all at once. Gaiman and JR JR have done such a great job on this series and yet I feel like in the shadow of all things Civil War, it's not getting it's just due. Whether you wait for the trade or the next issue... This series is fantastic and this issue though a little less action oriented than the effort in issue 3, is still a winner. Hey you gotta give up the back story at some point right?

Amazing Spider-Man #535
Marvel
Written by: J. Michael Stracynski
Penciler: Ron Garney (his sequential storytelling is top notch)

Civil War is all around us in the Marvel Universe. Peter Parker has picked his side but has been struggling with the concept that he may not have picked the right side. Between the events of Last week's Civil War #4 and this issue of ASM... I don't think Pete will struggle with any concept of which side he SHOULD be on.

We begin the issue with MJ waking up to find no Peter in bed and instead watching the news where he finds that Tony Stark and Reed Richards are basically cashing in on non-bid defense projects for unregistered meta humans.

Peter is in a huff from beginning to end of this one and is in Tony's face more times than Sammy benches 135lbs (it's a lot trust me). Peter questions Tony's decisions at every level and Tony replies much like an annoyed parent. Peter finds out about this prison that Reed and Tony have been building to house unregistered metas. The twist here is that Reed has put this Gulag in the Negative Zone.

More tension as Pete does not only dislike this concept but also the concept of giving any unregistered meta a life sentence if they don't wish to repent and register. No trial, no jury, all executioner. Peter questions Tony again and now also Reed, who for all his brains gets my dumbass award for the past several months. (Hello... you let Sue go you jackass!)

Tony seems even more annoyed but Peter is fast becoming aware that the side he has chosen is in confict with his idea of right and wrong.

In one of the greatest moments of many in this book Peter baits Reed and gives him something that he will hopefully think about in the future.

With every page I turned in this one, I asked... Is this where Pete finally has enough?

Well I didn't have too long to wait as the next exchange between Tony and Peter is Tony telling Pete he needs a break and that he needs him in California to back him up on his mysterious 50 state initiative. Tony has things to do and will prep Peter's jet first thing in the morning.

Peter will not give Tony until morning though as he wakes both MJ and Aunt May after doing the Spidey thing and avoiding the security cameras. He beckons them to leave as he tells them he has made the biggest mistake of his life and chosen the wrong side.

A couple of off panel "booms" and one page later Iron Man comes crashing through a wall trying to tackle Spider-Man...

Spidey says..."Thought you were going out for the night... 'Dad' "

Iron-Man says in retort... "And I thought you knew which side you were on"

Oh hell yeah...Peter is finally on the side he knows in his heart is right and I'm hoping that he will open up a special can of Mamma WKTF's whup ass on this arrogant man in the iron suit.

This right here is why Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship character folks. I think we are about to find out that Peter is truly the moral center in this conflict and is the true hero and focal point of this "Civil War"...

wktf
09-28-2006, 09:44 AM
If you read my review of Civil War #4 last week you know I loved it but, at the same time, was disappointed that the Thor character turned out to be a clone. The real Thor’s out there somewhere, hefting the Mjolnir that was lifted in the pages of the FF just a few months back. But it got me hankerin’ for some Thor stories. We’ve already reviewed the Lee/Kirby Thor from Thor Marvel Masterworks #4, the Simonson Thor from the Ballad of Beta Ray Bill and the Dan Jurgens/JR JR Thor from his Heroes Reborn relaunch. Let’s take a look at another set of creators’ take on this favorite character of mine.

Wktf’s Review

Thor: Alone Against the Celestials
Marvel Comics
Written by: Tom DeFalco
Drawn by: Ron Frenz

This trade paperback collects The Mighty Thor #387-389 from 1988. The story opens with Thor floating in the icy void of space, having entered a dimensional vortex created by Mjolnir to transport him from Asgard to Midgard (that’s Earth in Asgard-speak). Surprised at his predicament, with no air and mere moments left to live, the startled thunder god sends his mighty hammer, and himself with it, speeding toward an unknown planet. Thor is long unconscious before he arrives and crashes with the destructive fury of a meteor, creating an enormous crater from the impact. Unbeknownst to Thor, this planet, Pangoria, is populated by thieves and murderers and is ruled by Pegas, The Pirate King, who orders Thor’s insensate body brought to his city to be nursed back to health. But Pegas has an ulterior motive for healing Thor. He has correctly surmised that Thor is a being of immense power who can aid him in saving his planet, and most importantly himself, from imminent destruction. For the Celestials have come to Pangoria and given it the thumbs down.

Since the dawn of time, the Celestials have roamed the universe, planting the seeds of civilization on planets across the galaxies. But they eventually return to the sites of their endeavors to judge whether these worlds should be allowed to continue. And Pangoria has been judged as unworthy. Out of a sense of duty to Pegas for saving his life, and a stronger sense of justice to defend the helpless, Thor takes on the hopeless cause of stopping the Celestials. This is particularly hopeless because, back in issue #300 (see the newly released Thor: The Eternal Saga vol. 1 tpb for the beginning of this story), not only had Thor previously attempted battling the Celestials and failed, Odin himself had placed his own spirit in the shell of the Destroyer armor and, using the Odinsword as his weapon, battled the Celestials, and also failed. Of course this is Thor and, despite knowing and even stating his cause is hopeless, his commitment to stop the Celestials is unwavering. And so the Son of Odin takes the battle right to the source.

Some highlights of this trade include Thor’s donning his battle armor and mythical belt of strength, though the armor looks a little strange when Thor isn’t sporting the beard Simonson gave him, and the fact that this battle is so pitched even Mjolnir is destroyed in the process. There is an interesting and unexpected twist, unexpected to Thor, certainly, at the end that teaches Thor the nuances of the Celestials judgments. Frenz’s art is good stuff, for sure, but it feels like he’s trying too hard to emulate Kirby’s style even as he did with Ditko’s style early on in his Amazing Spider-Man work. DeFalco never really seemed to hit his stride on The Mighty Thor as he seemed to with Amazing Spider-Man and, in fact, much of his prose seems a bit strained and flowery, as if he’s trying too hard to be a post-Siler Age Stan Lee. Some dialogue, such as “Let the worshippers of evil despair! Let the dwellers of darkness tremble in fear! Aye, and let the righteous and just raise their voices in joyous celebration! The god of thunder has returned to Earth! So be it!!” just, frankly, doesn’t work any more. Still, for a cover price of only $5.95 (though I’m pretty sure this book is out of print), the true Thor fan will see a desperate battle crazed thunder god in action against impossible odds and most certainly will get his money’s worth. I’m happy to have this book as part of my Thor trade collection.

thecallahan
09-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Damn, I didn't do a review of She Hulk cause I was positive one of you two would do it! Ahh well, I don't get any books you guys listed except for Ultimates (except Diamond didn't ship one copy to my store! :banghead: )

Good reviews all around though.

And Sam, I love reading the Losers but I'm just picking it up in TPB's and forget to get the next volume every time I go to the LCS

wktf
09-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks! I normally do She-Hulk every month. Just couldn't get it done this time with all the other great books to read and write about. Still have to read it tonight, actually.

thecallahan
09-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks! I normally do She-Hulk every month. Just couldn't get it done this time with all the other great books to read and write about. Still have to read it tonight, actually.

The ending was awesome!

wktf
09-28-2006, 09:53 AM
The ending was awesome!

OK, I'm stoked. Daredevil and She-Hulk will be the first of many comic book reads tonight! :thumbs2:

Kdawg59
09-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Man... Ultimates, Cap, DD.... I have some reading to do tonight... Especially Ultimates...

what a gratuitous and fun book that is!

wktf
09-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Keith, did you feel Garney was channeling JR JR in those close ups of Reed's face? One of them looked like dead on JR JR art to me.

Kdawg59
09-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Keith, did you feel Garney was channeling JR JR in those close ups of Reed's face? One of them looked like dead on JR JR art to me.

You know they both have a very similar sense of the way they pick camera angles and the way they convey straight ahead sequential art. Kinda "pre-Image" mentality and I definitely agree with you there...

REED you bastich!!! what's the matter with you???!!!!?!?!?!

JDH
09-28-2006, 11:14 AM
wktf, I have spotted JRJr more and more in Garney's work recently. I've always liked him, and he keeps getting better. Reviews were a real team effort this week, huh?:)

RichBamf
09-28-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm really behind due to my holiday, I haven't been to the LCS for over four weeks! :(

wktf
09-28-2006, 12:01 PM
wktf, I have spotted JRJr more and more in Garney's work recently. I've always liked him, and he keeps getting better. Reviews were a real team effort this week, huh?:)

That they were, jdh! :) A big week like this week deserves a big team. The more the merrier!

workingdog
09-28-2006, 12:33 PM
wk, I really enjoyed Cap #22 and glad to see you did as well. I particularly like how Brubaker's been bringing attention to some of the "lesser knowns" if you will from Cap's rogues gallery. The Sleeper from last issue and the villain revealed at the end of this issue.

One question I have and maybe you might know this? The aforementioned villain had me wondering whatever became of Peggy Carter, Sharon's older sister? Do you know if she's still around? Last I remember she had some kind of support role at Avengers Mansion.

MiamiLoco
09-28-2006, 01:01 PM
But, there’s one more issue before Millar and Hitch’s series comes to an end.

You sure about that?? According to the Marvel Website:

ULTIMATES 2 #12
The Story: GRAND THEFT AMERICA
This is it! The double-sized finale! America strikes back against the Liberators, as ace artist Bryan Hitch draws every single super hero in the Ultimate Universe in combat to free the United States! Plus: the true fate of Thor, the return of the Defenders, and every major plotline from the Ultimates (since its inception) comes together at last. If ever there was a big one you should not miss...Ultimates 2 #12 is it! If you do but one thing with your life: read this comic! And don’t forget —this cataclysmic story leads straight into Ultimates 3 #1, coming soon! Part 6 (of 6).

I haven't read it yet, but I think anything that was left unresolved will probably be tied up in Ultimates 3.

wktf
09-28-2006, 01:17 PM
wk, I really enjoyed Cap #22 and glad to see you did as well. I particularly like how Brubaker's been bringing attention to some of the "lesser knowns" if you will from Cap's rogues gallery. The Sleeper from last issue and the villain revealed at the end of this issue.

One question I have and maybe you might know this? The aforementioned villain had me wondering whatever became of Peggy Carter, Sharon's older sister? Do you know if she's still around? Last I remember she had some kind of support role at Avengers Mansion.

WD, during Mark Gruenwald's run it was established that Peggy was both an agent of SHIELD and also a member of the prior version of the Avengers' staff. Now that that Avengers no longer is in existence, I'm actually not sure the answer to your question.

wktf
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
You sure about that?? According to the Marvel Website:

I haven't read it yet, but I think anything that was left unresolved will probably be tied up in Ultimates 3.

Yes, I am sure about that.

It was recently announced that Ultimates #12 actually would be split into 2 issues and that Millar and Hitch's run would end with Ultimates 2 #13. Plus, this issue ends with a major to-be continued cliffhanger that will be resolved in the Millar/Hitch issue #13.

In fact, here you go, from Marvel.com, and note that this is Part 7 (of 6) !!:

ULTIMATES 2 #13

COVER BY: BRYAN HITCH
WRITER: MARK MILLAR
PENCILS: BRYAN HITCH
INKS: PAUL NEARY
COLORED BY: LAURA MARTIN
LETTERED BY: CHRIS ELIOPOULOS

THE STORY:
ULTIMATES 2 #13
Written by MARK MILLAR
Pencils & Wraparound Cover by BRYAN HITCH
“GRAND THEFT AMERICA”
The concluding chapter of the much-heralded Millar/Hitch tenure on Ultimates has finally arrived! All the running plot lines come to their cataclysmic end in these pages as the Team Supreme puts everything they’ve got into a grand finale that will take its place alongside the finest comics of the past decade. Alliances are made and relationships are severed in a tale you simply cannot miss. You have been warned! Part 7 (of 6)
48 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

thecallahan
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Man I can't wait until volume 2 is collected into an oversized HC

Kdawg59
09-28-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm really behind due to my holiday, I haven't been to the LCS for over four weeks! :(

You will have much to read my friend!... Comics seem to have some of that old time magic back lately I think. From both companies....

SirConor
09-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Couldn't agree more about Eternals, KD. I rather liked that this was a slow issue... Gaiman really knows how to tell a story. Everything's falling into place and I can't wait to see how this ends up.

Totally with you about wanting to read them all straight through, I think reading these peicemeal doesn't do the story justice. I also agree that this fantastic mini is getting overshadowed unjustly by Civil War.

The thing I wonder though, is if I genuinely like these characters or if it's just Neil Gaiman's writing that I like so much. Anyone else get this feeling? I've read allllll of Gaiman's books and comics, and I've never encountered the Eternals before this miniseries. I'd like to see Marvel continue this after the sixth issue, perhaps with a different writer, to see if I like it half as much.

Bullseye
09-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Great reviews guys but the best news is that Romita Jr is going back to Amazing Spider-man is that true?

bat_collector
09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Great reviews guys but the best news is that Romita Jr is going back to Amazing Spider-man is that true?

I thought he was doing world war hulk?

I need my own comic review team!

Batman: Damian rocks! I'm desperately trying to figure out what bust I can use to do a custom of him with. Sad news, the newest preview says there is a new creative team!:thumbsdow

Cap: Another great issue! Loved it! And daredevil was jsut as good Joe and Keith. I'll try to review that tonight.

spidey: Enjoyed the issue. I can't wait for what I hope to be the first of many beatdowns Iron man gets.

The best thing about htis week:

I read 7 or 8 books and still had JLA, Secret Six and a slew of zombie books to get to.:buttrock:

wktf
09-28-2006, 04:25 PM
In an interview I read on newsarama JR JR confirmed he will be the artist on World War Hulk and requested to be put back on a Spider-Man title as soon as possible. I don't know if there are definite plans yet, however.

Relic Reaper
09-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Great reviews, as usual guys!!!

I was really looking forward to Ultimates 2 #2...then one of my buddies called me about 15 minutes ago and spoiled everything that happened in the issue. :mad: His excuse was that it'll still be visually amusing. Ah well...still looking forward to it.

Kdawg59
09-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Couldn't agree more about Eternals, KD. I rather liked that this was a slow issue... Gaiman really knows how to tell a story. Everything's falling into place and I can't wait to see how this ends up.

Totally with you about wanting to read them all straight through, I think reading these peicemeal doesn't do the story justice. I also agree that this fantastic mini is getting overshadowed unjustly by Civil War.

The thing I wonder though, is if I genuinely like these characters or if it's just Neil Gaiman's writing that I like so much. Anyone else get this feeling? I've read allllll of Gaiman's books and comics, and I've never encountered the Eternals before this miniseries. I'd like to see Marvel continue this after the sixth issue, perhaps with a different writer, to see if I like it half as much.

Well Gaiman has made me like them and the only other dealings I have had with them is the brief time Sersi was an Avenger... I tell you this... I don't know if it's Gaiman or not but because of his and JR JR's work on this I would certainly give an ongoing title a shot if Marvel invested in making it happen:)

Sam Wilson
09-28-2006, 04:46 PM
And Sam, I love reading the Losers but I'm just picking it up in TPB's and forget to get the next volume every time I go to the LCS

YES! There is someone else who reads that book! You're a good man Callahan...

Sam Wilson
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Well Gaiman has made me like them and the only other dealings I have had with them is the brief time Sersi was an Avenger... I tell you this... I don't know if it's Gaiman or not but because of his and JR JR's work on this I would certainly give an ongoing title a shot if Marvel invested in making it happen:)

same here vato, we are in total agreement of that. I've personally never been a Gainman or Eternals fan, but this book clicks. Maybe it's JR jr, who knows, but I think an ongoing series could work...

wktf
09-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Kdawg's Guest Reviews!

...Best part is I get to write another review where I can use my new favorite phrase come review time. Read through and see if you can't guess what that phrase is...

Hmmm...

Kdawg59
09-28-2006, 07:25 PM
:rolleyes:

hmmmmm

Sam Wilson
09-28-2006, 07:38 PM
:rolleyes:

hmmmmm

hmmmmm.... :peoples:

workingdog
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
WD, during Mark Gruenwald's run it was established that Peggy was both an agent of SHIELD and also a member of the prior version of the Avengers' staff. Now that that Avengers no longer is in existence, I'm actually not sure the answer to your question.

Not a problem, WK! I remembered later that she did appear in Cap #10 during House of M but that's been about it. Thanks for the info :)

thecallahan
09-28-2006, 10:06 PM
YES! There is someone else who reads that book! You're a good man Callahan...

You'd make this cracker happy if you tell me you read Queen & Country... Come on Sam, return the favor (crossing fingers) :D

Sam Wilson
09-28-2006, 10:08 PM
You'd make this cracker happy if you tell me you read Queen & Country... Come on Sam, return the favor (crossing fingers) :D

OH HELL Yes. I have every single issue, and even the crossover Novel Rucka wrote, I forget the title, the one when Minder One had to go into Saudi by herself to clear her name...

thecallahan
09-28-2006, 10:12 PM
OH HELL Yes. I have every single issue, and even the crossover Novel Rucka wrote, I forget the title, the one when Minder One had to go into Saudi by herself to clear her name...

BADASS MAN!!!!! I heard there's actually a second book he's written (I haven't read the first one yet). I have the seventh tpb of it and the first of the classifieds (or whatever the secondary series is called). When should I read that first book in relation to the other stories?

wktf
09-28-2006, 10:15 PM
hmmmmm.... :peoples:

"...open up a special can of Mamma WKTF's whup ass..." :laugh:

workingdog
09-28-2006, 10:29 PM
BADASS MAN!!!!! I heard there's actually a second book he's written (I haven't read the first one yet). I have the seventh tpb of it and the first of the classifieds (or whatever the secondary series is called). When should I read that first book in relation to the other stories?

The first novel is called A Gentleman's Game and it takes place after the seventh tpb (or issue #28). It's a great read! I just recently found out about the second novel, Private Wars, and it's supposed to be better than the first one. :thumbs2:

Sam Wilson
09-29-2006, 06:58 AM
The first novel is called A Gentleman's Game and it takes place after the seventh tpb (or issue #28). It's a great read! I just recently found out about the second novel, Private Wars, and it's supposed to be better than the first one. :thumbs2:

word. The last couple of issues deal with the aftermath of that novel. Also, that one declassified story with the Irish Terrorists, that was total bad-ass...

Justin
09-29-2006, 07:44 AM
I have to say I have gone from a Cap hater (may sound strong but I really didn’t see the appeal of him) to a big fan and I have to put it down the Brubaker’s story telling, He has written the current series so well that I have not been able to help but grow into a big fan of the Cap, Thanks to Wktf & Sam for their reviews and all the guys that have agreed with them, If it wasn’t for you guys I would not have had any idea what I was missing out on! Cheers guys :thumbs2:

Kdawg59
09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
"...open up a special can of Mamma WKTF's whup ass..." :laugh:

BINGOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I just read Ultimates and Cap last night.... Cap was yet again too awesome!

thecallahan
09-29-2006, 08:29 AM
They really need to collect the first 12 or so issues of Cap in an oversized HC.

wktf
09-29-2006, 11:20 AM
I have to say I have gone from a Cap hater (may sound strong but I really didn’t see the appeal of him) to a big fan and I have to put it down the Brubaker’s story telling, He has written the current series so well that I have not been able to help but grow into a big fan of the Cap, Thanks to Wktf & Sam for their reviews and all the guys that have agreed with them, If it wasn’t for you guys I would not have had any idea what I was missing out on! Cheers guys :thumbs2:

Justin, thanks for the props, man, but I'm just happy to have another Cap fan on board!! :thumbs2:

Bru is the man, the driving force behind this resurgence of one of the single greatest superheroes of all time. I was so disgusted by the Marvel Knights treatment of Cap following 9-11. I understood what Marvel was doing and why but, frankly, it just didn't work and took this iconic superhero off most people's radar screen.

I have to give credit to Steve Epting, though, as well. His art is just so perfectly matched to this character and Bru's stories that he puts Bru's breakaway pace into overdrive.

This is what comics should be about!

wktf
09-29-2006, 11:26 AM
I need my own comic review team!

Mike, what we've learned here at "WKTF and Sam Wilson, Inc." is that the secret lies in the combination of providing competitive health care and insurance benefits, a work environment that fosters team work and respect, and developing a mission statement that elevates your brand and inspires people to passionately deliver the best work possible to satisfy our clients, keep them coming back, and acquiring more clients.

Oh, and just asking for help with reviews works too. But I see you've already got that one down. :)

wktf
09-29-2006, 11:27 AM
BINGOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I just read Ultimates and Cap last night.... Cap was yet again too awesome!

So, Keith, was this Thor trade review the story you were thinking about before?

Kdawg59
09-29-2006, 03:45 PM
So, Keith, was this Thor trade review the story you were thinking about before?

Yeah Joe this was the one... Thor proved himself in this one to be the baddest mutha of them all. He was inches away from taking out something that no other entity in existence could...

think about how you'd feel if that Hammer hit your unprotected brain!???

VaultMan
09-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks to this whole team for the great reviews, how you guys continue to crank these out is beyond me.

(SPOILER) Ultimates #12 again delivered with some truly visceral action as only Millar's Ultimates (and perhaps the classic Authority Vol.1) could deliver. Though I thoroughly enjoyed the Hulk's beatdown of the Abomination (You said it right Joe, what a dismantling!), the fight between the Hurricane and Quicksilver is an instant classic. I love how this entire fight started and finished before Haweye even hit the ground after getting decked. SWEET. Then Hawk asks Quicksilver for a hand, and the look he gives Hawkeye was awesome. Those few panels are easily my favorite of the book.

wktf
10-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks to this whole team for the great reviews, how you guys continue to crank these out is beyond me.

Thanks for the props, VM! Speaking for myself, I try to get the trade reviews done over the weekend and then on Wed pull my top three comics to read that week, read 'em some time after 9pm once kids' homework, etc., is done and then get the reviews written Wed nite. Usually puts me well past midnight to get 'em posted Thu morning but Sam, I and the whole crew love doing this!!!

And on your spoilers, yeah, that scene with Quicksilver and Hurricane was so harsh, and the follow up only seconds later with Hawkeye was great!