PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Penguins - What Offense!

risingstar
11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
I realize there are only 3 NHL fans here... however, I must say that the Pittsburgh Penguins are about to become the most exciting team to watch since Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers.

Crosby and Malkin are going to light up the league in offense!

The General
11-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I can't do hockey. I've tried to watch it in the past but I just can't get into it. This is going to sound crazy but one of the biggest reasons I don’t watch is one of the biggest reasons people like hockey but personally the fighting is one of the main reasons I don't watch. I think it's ridiculous that this is considered “part of the game”. Football is just as physical and they don't break out in spontaneous brawls 2 or 3 times a game. Even basketball is pretty physical and they don't do it either. If I want to see a fight I'll watch UFC or Boxing.

risingstar
11-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Goodness, you can't even compare the those sports with Hockey... I'm not necessarily saying one sport is better than the other, just that the dynamic is much different. Also, fighting takes up a much smaller aspect of the game of Hockey than you seem to think. It's like as if you're saying you won't watch football because teams get points by safeties.

When was the last time you saw Hockey players go into the stands and beat up fans?
When was the last time you heard of rampant steroid abuse in Hockey?
When was the last time you heard of egomaniacal and trash talking Hockey players put themselves in front of their team and their profressional sports league?

To put down a sport as a whole because of a very small aspect of it strikes me as short sighted. This is especially the case when the sports you mentioned seem to be having way more issues in general.

JMO :D

The General
11-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Goodness, you can't even compare the those sports with Hockey... I'm not necessarily saying one sport is better than the other, just that the dynamic is much different. Also, fighting takes up a much smaller aspect of the game of Hockey than you seem to think. It's like as if you're saying you won't watch football because teams get points by safeties.

When was the last time you saw Hockey players go into the stands and beat up fans?
When was the last time you heard of rampant steroid abuse in Hockey?
When was the last time you heard of egomaniacal and trash talking Hockey players put themselves in front of their team and their profressional sports league?

To put down a sport as a whole because of a very small aspect of it strikes me as short sighted. This is especially the case when the sports you mentioned seem to be having way more issues in general.

JMO :D

I didn’t want to turn this into a debate. I was Just explaining that I never got into hockey and one of the reasons I don’t like it. I wasn’t trying to say that the NFL & NBA are better because they don’t fight as much. I’ve just heard the argument from hockey fans that the players fight because the game is so physical and intense which is BS because football is way more physical and they hardly ever fight.

Also hockey players have went into the stands and fought with fans before. I don’t follow hockey so I don’t know if they have a TO type player or what their drug testing policy is but I’m sure those guys take steroids too. I don’t think I’m being short sighted at all. What part fighting plays in hockey or how big a part isn’t the point – What I’m saying is that no matter how small a part of the game you say it is it’s enough to turn me off to the whole game.

Collection King 13
11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Hockey is better to watch in person!

The General
11-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Hockey is better to watch in person!

That's what I heard. I had tickets to a Ranger game but I coudn't go last minute.

risingstar
11-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm not meaning to provoke a debate. It's just that I tend to hear the most criticism about Hockey from people who generally don't really watch or follow the game. I get the same feeling when people tell me that "comics are for kids" when these same people don't generally pick up any titles or at best, haven't read any books in years or at worst, base their opinion on the cartoons or the 60s Batman TV show.

As an aside... The Rangers were a very exciting team to watch last year. Given that they acquired Shanahan over the summer, they may even be more exciting down the stretch.

C. Bormann
12-01-2006, 01:51 AM
One of the best things about hockey is that any player on the ice has a chance to score at any moment. There are stars to the game, but every player has an equal chance at the puck.

As far as the fighting goes... I've been to games that there were no fights and I've been to games that they had to hose the blood off of the ice. It's not necessary, but it has become an integral part of the game. You have to remember that hockey is a full contact sport, and each player has a weapon in their hands. So tempers do rise and players have to stand their ground or be pushed around and taken advantage of.

In March I'll be attending WW LA during the day and I have tickets for the DUCKS playing Columbus, Chicago, and LA in the evening.

TheGreyOne
12-01-2006, 03:33 AM
I enjoy Hockey quite a bit... its just it is very dead here. I have the Bears to worry about, the Bulls slow start to worry about, and my White Sox trying to get better.

I'll catch a game here or there from other teams... but not to often.

Hockey is way way better in person, just the atmosphere... the chill in the stadium... the crowd... the beauty of the players skating, it is a great game to see in person. On TV it stinks... and I can't explain why.

As for the Penguins... don't know much but I do know they are playing way better than last year. :)

gman
12-01-2006, 09:26 AM
i was a huge fan of Pitt in the late 80s early 90s when they had a squad that included several HOFers......

Lemieux
Francis
Tocchet
Stevens
Jagr
Murphy
Recchi
Barrasso

They are fun to watch...Crosby is the man.

Alex655321
12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
I realize there are only 3 NHL fans here... however, I must say that the Pittsburgh Penguins are about to become the most exciting team to watch since Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers.

Crosby and Malkin are going to light up the league in offense!

I love Hockey and I root for the Rangers!
I always make sure I watch any game that involves the Penguins. Those 2 are Dynamite. The game is a lot better IMO with all the new rules, and these 2 are a lot of fun to watch, and should be for years to come.
Wished the Rangers won Crosby in the draft lottery:(

The Fog
12-01-2006, 04:28 PM
I love HOCKEY, the other categories that Sidney Crosby will lead in is DIVES and WHINING, can't wait til somebody takes him to the cleaner's.
He's the poster boy for the NHL, Don Cherry is probably barfing everytime he has to mention this kid's name, No Gretzsky here.
He is a great young player, but he look's to Ref's and Linesman everytime somebody glance's at him the wrong way, I alway's thought John Madden from the Devil's was the biggest crybaby, well Crosby got him beat by a mile, and I watch the Pen's all the time.
Never saw him play at W/B Scranton minor's but that was okay by me, when you ask who's the real young gun, look at Ovechkin, even though he can't speak much English, at least he doesn't tear up when he get's bumped, down low.
I respect Super Mario for footing the bill for year's, you don't see much of that anymore anywhere, but if it wasn't for him, a real class act, they would probably be the KC pengiun's.
Guess I just have to suffer with Crosby's antic's for few year's, then maybe he'll get traded to Vancouver, at least then I'll only see him on the road games.
Go Pen's!! I remeber for awhile they were a given win when another team came in, Now they are a legitimate force. Thank Mario!