PDA

View Full Version : Preacher Series Coming to HBO!

Archangel
11-29-2006, 02:36 PM
HBO is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series, Preacher, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Mark Steven Johnson (upcoming Ghost Rider, Daredevil) is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink.

Preacher, which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The series was created by Irish-born writer Garth Ennis and British artist Steve Dillon, who will serve as co-executive producers. Ken F. Levin, who represents the duo, also will serve as co-executive producer.

There have been several attempts to bring the comic to the screen, whether big or small, but nothing stuck, says the trade. A movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached.

--superherohype.com

CocoPUFF
11-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Great News!!!!! How The Hell Did I Miss This?!!! This Just Made My Day!!!!!

galactus
11-29-2006, 02:44 PM
About damn time. I've been saying for a long time (as I'm sure others have) that a movie wouldn't do this series justice and that it needed to be a series on a pay channel to really make it work. Thank god someone finally decided to do it :buttrock:

Ghost
11-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Great news! I definitely thought a series would do more justice to it then a mainstream film. I always thought that Patricia Arquette would have made an awesome Tulip circa True Romance and Barry Pepper would have made a great Cassidy. Oh well here's to a good casting. Never was too happy about Marsden as Jesse.

snappahead
11-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Great news! I definitely thought a series would do more justice to it then a mainstream film. I always thought that Patricia Arquette would have made an awesome Tulip circa True Romance and Barry Pepper would have made a great Cassidy. Oh well here's to a good casting. Never was too happy about Marsden as Jesse.

This is good news. I hope they don't screw it up. This is my favorite Vertigo book and one of the funnest reads ever. I love the idea of Pepper as Cassidy LOL. If they made him a bit crustier than he is, it'd be perfect...plus I just like Pepper as an actor.

Ghost
11-29-2006, 04:22 PM
This is good news. I hope they don't screw it up. This is my favorite Vertigo book and one of the funnest reads ever. I love the idea of Pepper as Cassidy LOL. If they made him a bit crustier than he is, it'd be perfect...plus I just like Pepper as an actor.

This with Watchmen is my favourite book of all time. And yeah Pepper just seems like a great choice IMO, I like him as an actor as well, minus that sci fi flick he did with Travolta, what was it..Battlefield?

snappahead
11-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Battlefield Earth LOL...Yeah, not his brightest moment. 61, 25th Hour and Saving Private Ryan.. those are money.

Ghost
11-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Yup, good stuff!

MiamiLoco
11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Hopefully NOW they will release an ABSOLUTE PREACHER!!!

patrickwm68
11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
HBO will probably cancel it after 2 seasons like Carnivale.

Sam Wilson
11-29-2006, 06:51 PM
they better not **** it up or dumb it down...

snappahead
11-29-2006, 06:55 PM

I know. But I'm optimistic with it being handled by HBO. They've made some really good shows and they never hold back on the content. If any network was going to do this...I'm glad it's HBO.

BattyDave19
11-29-2006, 06:58 PM
sounds interesting, never read the book but interested in seeing what its abought

Ghost
11-29-2006, 08:30 PM

This is why I'm sorta glad it was picked up as a show and not a film. Still like you said hope they don't hold back.

Underdog07
11-29-2006, 11:30 PM
HBO will probably cancel it after 2 seasons like Carnivale.

I thought the exact same thing. I'm glad its on HBO bc they will do a good job with it, but bad for that exact reason.

CocoPUFF
11-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Hopefully this will open the gates for more vertigo mini series at HBO...a Sandman mini series would be the Sh!t! So would a constantine, with a British constantine this time!

DDura711
11-30-2006, 12:26 AM

Damn Right Pie Man!

Ghost
11-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Hopefully this will open the gates for more vertigo mini series at HBO...a Sandman mini series would be the Sh!t! So would a constantine, with a British constantine this time!

Hell yeah a Sandman would rock.

bane
11-30-2006, 03:29 AM
Good news , I'm not sure about the choice of director but we'll have to wait and see

madjazz
11-30-2006, 07:48 AM
I finally got around to reading the first TPBK and really liked this story. Anyone know if Preacher is tapped to get the Absolute treatment? I don't want to spend $ on individual books at this point if a nice HC is on the way.

MiamiLoco
11-30-2006, 12:06 PM
I finally got around to reading the first TPBK and really liked this story. Anyone know if Preacher is tapped to get the Absolute treatment? I don't want to spend $ on individual books at this point if a nice HC is on the way.
No word yet, but it's a HUGE commitment. The series consisted of 75 issues in total -- 66 regular, monthly issues, five one-shot specials and a four-issue Saint of Killers limited series. So that's like 6 VOLUMES!!

joy_division
12-01-2006, 09:19 AM
I always saw Johnny Depp as Jesse, robert carlyle as cass, and - naturaly - Clint as saint

but that was a while back

I REALLY hope they don't screw this up

I always knew that this would never be released in the cinemas because the public outcry from the christians would be massive

madjazz
12-01-2006, 10:11 AM
I always saw Johnny Depp as Jesse, robert carlyle as cass, and - naturaly - Clint as saint

but that was a while back

I REALLY hope they don't screw this up

I always knew that this would never be released in the cinemas because the public outcry from the christians would be massive
I'm a Christian and it never ceases to amuse me to read the wild fantasies that heathens have about what God is all about and their hubris in thinking they can actually fathom his long term game plan. If God didn't want them to write these stories, they wouldn't be written.

A true person of faith should not fear the questioning of said faith. I think St. Thomas Aquinas would agree with me on this one.

joy_division
12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm a Christian and it never ceases to amuse me to read the wild fantasies that heathens have about what God is all about and their hubris in thinking they can actually fathom his long term game plan. If God didn't want them to write these stories, they wouldn't be written.

A true person of faith should not fear the questioning of said faith. I think St. Thomas Aquinas would agree with me on this one.I am very glad that you take this point of view. however, there are alot of people who take religion far too seriously.

I would love to go on but don't want this thread to get closed

"if you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?"

wktf
12-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Yeah, MadJazz, you'd be stunned at some of the behavior here in the Midwest.

madjazz
12-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah, MadJazz, you'd be stunned at some of the behavior here in the Midwest.
Some of that is because they feel their values are under assault. That is what happens when certain liberal groups not only want to act on their own beliefs, but try to change laws so that everyone has to do it their way. And when that doesn't work they bypass the whole legislative thing and lean on the courts. We'd all be happier with a little less complaining, a little more tolerance, and a whole lot more personal responsibility.

whd
12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I hope he does a better job with this show than he did with Daredevil. That one was pretty bad. :thumbsdow

wktf
12-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Some of that is because they feel their values are under assault. That is what happens when certain liberal groups not only want to act on their own beliefs, but try to change laws so that everyone has to do it their way. And when that doesn't work they bypass the whole legislative thing and lean on the courts. We'd all be happier with a little less complaining, a little more tolerance, and a whole lot more personal responsibility.

Certain liberal groups? It wasn't liberals who tried to ban the teaching of evolution in favor of creationism in the classroom! The liberals, by far, are not the ones who need to show tolerance around here.

(um, is that a cue to have the thread locked?).

madjazz
12-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Certain liberal groups? It wasn't liberals who tried to ban the teaching of evolution in favor of creationism in the classroom! The liberals, by far, are not the ones who need to show tolerance around here.

The Kansas School Board were idiots, but in the other hand, that came about after others refused to allow Creationism to be discussed in school.

The Kansas School Board did not take their action until others stepped in and would not allow discussion of Creationism in other places.

My point is that both sides need to lighten up (Francis). :)

No need to lock as long as people are being civil. No name calling on my part, and I don't intend to start. You've met me, and you know that's not what I'm all about.

Now if someone does start to get carried away, go ahead and lock. My feelings won't be hurt.

wktf
12-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Now Mark, did I accuse you of name calling? Sure, I've met you (hell, you've contributed to our reviews! :) ). I know you're not about that. My problem is that I now live out here and day-in-and-out am the recipient of some very closed minded thinking (such as http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=39600&page=3). Also, I'll go back and check but, with my kids in the school system here, I followed this one closely and I believe the opposing (non conservative) side was not refusing to teach creationism; rather, they wanted to teach both. It was the school board who unilaterally shut down the teaching of evolution. And, yes, you are correct that they were idiots.

As far as the lock, my understanding was that if a thread gets too political it gets locked up regardless of name calling.

Ghost
12-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Well then quit getting politico! :p So yeah. Can't wait to see Arseface...again.

wktf
12-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Well then quit getting politico! :p So yeah. Can't wait to see Arseface...again.

Same here. Arseface was great!

Ghost
12-01-2006, 09:33 PM
You saw that early makeup/prosthetic test they did for the film right? It was dead on.

joy_division
12-02-2006, 07:13 AM
so, regardless of budget, who would yor dream casting be?

dunno about now, but mine would be:

jesse: depp
cassidy: robert carlye, possibly Colin Farrell
tulip - Cameron Diaz
saint of Killers - clint
herr Starr - tough call, a comedian though
TC - Andy Serkis
Jody - Brad Pitt built up
Featherstone - Shirley Henderson
God - voice of James Earl Jones

wktf
12-02-2006, 04:28 PM
You saw that early makeup/prosthetic test they did for the film right? It was dead on.

No, I didn't. You have any pics?

MiamiLoco
12-02-2006, 04:39 PM
No, I didn't. You have any pics?
Remember, you ASKED for it:

http://preacher.alwaysmad.com/preacher/images/arseface.jpg

Comicboy
12-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I have faith in HBO to do this and do it right. I would guess it will be a cast of relatively unknowns, which is fine with me. Just stay true to the source material and I'll be happy.

madjazz
12-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I have faith in HBO to do this and do it right. I would guess it will be a cast of relatively unknowns, which is fine with me. Just stay true to the source material and I'll be happy.
This has been the kiss of death on every comic book movie project that has gone awry, hasn't it.

wktf
12-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Remember, you ASKED for it:

http://preacher.alwaysmad.com/preacher/images/arseface.jpg

Excellent! :buttrock:

Ghost
12-03-2006, 12:54 AM

tulip - Cameron Diaz
saint of Killers - clint
TC - Andy Serkis

Out of all those I'd pick Jones as God. Otherwise none of them really would fit for me.

CocoPUFF
12-03-2006, 06:36 AM

I'm ultra conservative, and love Comics.....Hopefully this series will be done justice....liberals or conservative...doesn't matter......just hold truth to the story!!!! That's all I care about!:buttrock: REALLY LOOKING FRWD TO THIS SHOW BTW!!!:buttrock:

Xeno
12-03-2006, 08:18 AM

tulip - Cameron Diaz
saint of Killers - clint
TC - Andy Serkis

What about Grandma and her gang?? ;)

And they better subtitle Arseface! :D

darkestkarma
01-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey thread-thieves...PM each other if you wanna discuss off topic opinions with each other please. I'm excited to hear about this show and reading to see other peoples views on it not to listen to rants about politics and religion.

-darkestkarma