PDA

View Full Version : Eragon!!

superash
12-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Ok who has read this book??
I hadn't until last week. Seeing that the movie was coming out soon, I thought it looked interesting. While shopping in Wal-Mart I seen it on sale for $5 and bought it. Unknowing what I was about to jump into.

After reading it, I went and bought Eldest right away. I have finished both books and I can say nothing more than...........my breath was taken away from me!! The best read I have had in a long time!!!

Now for anyone else that has read the books and is excited about the movies, is there any talk of any product being made?!?! I would love to have a Saphira statue!!

SirConor
12-09-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm planning on reading this a day or two before the movie comes out. I had noticed the books on the shelf a few times before in the bookstore, but it always struck me as being very Harry Potter, which I don't like personally although I am a huge fantasy fan. The movie trailer piqued my interest however, because while it confirmed my Harry Potter kids-fantasy intuition, it seemed to lack the driving force behind my distaste for Harry Potter: Eragon might not have an entirely wimpy and dorky hero. Therefore, I'll give it a read (and a watch).

I'll post after I read it one of these days.

Ghost
12-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Could you believe that the guy who wrote the book was only like 17 or so when he wrote it? Very good story!

DDura711
12-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Could you believe that the guy who wrote the book was only like 17 or so when he wrote it? Very good story!

I hear like 13.
Who knows the real story with the kid?

Ghost
12-10-2006, 05:07 AM
Haha well he's in his teens. I'm sure Amazon has the correct info. I have long forgotten so I can't recall.

Ghost
12-10-2006, 05:09 AM
Well ok Amazon is a bit confusing. It says that he started it when he was 15. But then that he's 18 and that Eragon is 15. I'm sure I'm not reading that right but check out the descriptions there.

batman1180
12-10-2006, 06:50 AM
This book was alright. I couldnt get into Eldest after reading it though, I might try picking it up again after i finish reading this Hunters Blade Trilogy that i just picked up tonight. One thing I can say is the movie looks like its going to suck.

Xeno
12-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I heard the movie will be 104 mins?? Well, I guess that's no LOTR then..

After LOTR trilogy I always thought it would be YEARS before something could equal that, let alone surpass it. And I think it still will be YEARS! if not decades..

superash
12-10-2006, 12:08 PM
He started writing at the age of 15. Because he was homeschooled he graduated then. Although he didn't really finish writing Eragon till he was 18. Then he soon shifted into writing Eldest. He is now 21-22. If you get the book it explains it all in there.

SirConor
12-10-2006, 01:23 PM
I heard the movie will be 104 mins?? Well, I guess that's no LOTR then..

After LOTR trilogy I always thought it would be YEARS before something could equal that, let alone surpass it. And I think it still will be YEARS! if not decades..

I agree! LOTR has an unfair advantage though, because it has the best source material *ever* produced in the genre.

ant-man
12-10-2006, 04:44 PM
i keep seeing traileres for this...and the more i see i like...i actors are incredible...John malcovich...amd more...im gonna check it out....

Leon
12-11-2006, 12:04 PM
The books were a fun read, but nothing more. I don't know why, but the fact that the guy was only 15 when he wrote it didn't make it any better for me.

Jackal726
12-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I had both books sitting on my shelf since last Christmas and finally read them in the last month or so. There seems to be a lot of similarites between these books and other popular stories of the last 20 years or so(LOTR, Harry Potter, even a little Star Wars), you can see the inluences. That said, I think there is enough original stuff to make them interesting reads, I'll get the third book for sure.

melike
12-11-2006, 06:30 PM
So do you imagine the movie will be any good or is it more like a Lord of the Rings lite.

migsmack
12-18-2006, 01:18 PM
The movie was very disappointing. I did not read the book but my 12yr old did and was not imppressed with the movie. Oh well, one more week before we here no more of this movie and it just fades away.

The General
12-18-2006, 02:11 PM
The movie was very disappointing. I did not read the book but my 12yr old did and was not imppressed with the movie. Oh well, one more week before we here no more of this movie and it just fades away.

I too was dissapointed in the movie.

Jesse321
12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Thank God I took the kids to see "Charlotte's Web" :D

superash
12-20-2006, 09:02 AM
WOW!!! Went and saw the movie last night..........um I wish I wouldn't have read the books before going, cause it was so thrown off course from the book. Did not enjoy the show, but still love the books!!!

Synergy
12-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I saw this movie and I wasn't impressed at all............... there were scenes that were to me ripped off from LOTR or trying to be simular too LOTR. And the movie just didn't flow as well as I would have liked.

XSE
12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
The movie was horrible!! I have read both books, and with the way they ended the movie I don't see that there will be a second let alone the final movie. A little disappointing since I have enjoyed the books so far

Boerboel
12-21-2006, 02:36 AM
Well then, maybe I won't go see it or I'll go during the day when its cheaper so I don't feel so cheated if its as bad as everyone claims.

CKinSD
12-21-2006, 10:40 AM
great read for both of them. you can tell though in the eldest a big publisher had some editor tweek things a bit the style changed up from the first book. I am looking forward to the third one. My youngest got me reading these. She read me the first few chapters in Eragon and I took it on a business trip and flew through it. really enjoyable

Mandragora
12-22-2006, 01:25 PM
i loved the books. they were a fun and interesting read. however, i will never ever go see that movie, it looks awful! just from the previews you can tell how much they deviated from the books and i absolutely hate that. for example, john malkovich's character doesn't even appear in the books, he's just talked about . . .a device to make gallabatroix all the more mysterious and threatening. the elf (whatshername?) in the preview is flouncing around like some sort of floosie, when in fact her character is quite stoic . . . for a reason!!! sorry for the rant i just hate it when directors think they know better than the author.

SirConor
12-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Well I read the book last week and saw the movie yesterday. Loved the book, interesting, easy read...

Didn't like the movie so much. The movie actually follows the book fairly well, minus a few nuiances here and there, but the movie is WAY TOO SHORT. This movie would have done well to be a 3 hr piece, but I feel like they really wanted this to be a kids movie, so they kept it short, but it just didn't work out that well... the movie lost far too much character development and the events were WAY too rushed, but it was okay anyways. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Not sure if I'll see the second movie, but I'll be reading the second book for sure.

Mandragora
12-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Not sure if I'll see the second movie, but I'll be reading the second book for sure.

your in for a treat . . the second is even better!

endsongjen
01-09-2007, 06:53 PM
ooooooo yea the movie was disappointing, just left out some things and way too short, way different from the book imo. but the books are great! i was hooked after the 1st, cant wait for the third hope its released this year sometime.

d rod
01-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Never picked up the books as well thinking it was a Harry Potter type of story. I'm a fan of LOTR but not a fan of the hobbit story. I did love the LOTR for the fantasy aspect and mystical / warrior aspect of it.
How is this in comparison? I'd love to read them but don't want to read a kid's book.

endsongjen
01-13-2007, 01:32 PM
well u can def. see the influence both lotr and the potter books had on this kid, but its more like lotr imo than harry potter. i was suprised at how much i liked it actually. its a teen book but if ur minds as messed up as mine u could picture some freaky things in the story, the movie didnt do it justice, lol.

Mandragora
01-13-2007, 01:58 PM
if you read the bio on this kid he has really strong roots in fantasy, unlike jk rowling. the only "kid" thing about these books is his prose, which im sure will get more sophisticated with time. but they are def a step above the potter books.

Brru
02-11-2007, 03:37 AM
I read the two books (both about when they each came out) and first off let me say I really love the books. Just cause of the story.

The kids story is more intense then the 15 year old thing. He originally wrote it at 15, thought that version sucked and rewrote the entire thing. Nobody would publish the first book though, so his family spent all there money to print it themselves. They went on tour and eventually a publisher picked it up seeing how well it was going for them. So there, thats the story heh.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!! DONT READ REST IF YOU HAVENT READ THE BOOKS!!!
I thought it was funny how the story is almost identical to Star wars. Jedi = Dragon Rider, Eragon = Luke, Brother = "luke I am your father" (trying not to spoil it to bad).

malkii
02-13-2007, 11:06 AM
I loved both books and was so excited to go and see the movie, only to be disapointed... the movie may be alright if you haven't read the book, but if you have don't bother going to see this... nothing like the book, major parts of the story changed or left out, charcters left out...

but do read the books you will love them...

superash
02-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I was very disapointed in the movie. I didn't like how Eragon was soooooo...."I'm the rider your the dragon" He was never like that in the books.

But all that aside I did pick up Eragon's sword. I have no pics of it but you can find it on the bay. It looks great, and has very good detail. Now I would love to see a Saphira statue come out!!