PDA

View Full Version : Mets and Yankees

sellin71
12-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Are the Mets and Yankees ever in town at the same time. I am planning a trip to NY to Yankee Stadium this summer and thought I would catch a Mets game while I was in town. No dice so far. Which other stadium would be easiest to visit while in the NY area?

Tony Coca
12-30-2006, 12:06 PM
normally when Yanks are at home the Mets are on the road.Now if you can get tickets to yanks vs mets you'll be in luck.

Collection King 13
12-30-2006, 12:19 PM
if you plan it right... you can catch a Mets game during the week and then a Yanks game on the weekend... or the other way around... Check their schedules and try to plan it like that...

sellin71
12-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I think I have found the games I will go to.

July 15th Mets vs Reds
July 16th Yankees vs Blue Jays

How far are the two stadiums from each other?
And where should I stay. I will have my 9 year old son.

Underdog07
12-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Do the tifecta - rent a car and hit Philly's ballpark as well. Its a really nice ballpark.

CK and Coca are right. Generally both teams are not home at the same time

Here's the Mets 2007 schedule:

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=nym&m=4&y=2007

Here's the Yankees 2007 schedule:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=nyy&m=4&y=2007

As you can see, early in the season the teams are in and out about every 6 days, so you can easily see one on a Sunday and the other on a Tuesday.

Underdog07
12-30-2006, 12:42 PM
I think I have found the games I will go to.

July 15th Mets vs Reds
July 16th Yankees vs Blue Jays

How far are the two stadiums from each other?
And where should I stay. I will have my 9 year old son.

The stadiums are a good deal away from each other (not mileage wise but travel time wise). You should stay in Midtown. You'll be close to Times Square and its easy to hop a train to both Ballparks. Don't get suckered into staying near the airports bc the rooms are cheaper. NYC is nowhere near the airports and you'll be shelling out money on cabs/cars.

The secret for getting to Shea is to take the Long Island Railroad instead of the subway. Its a couple bucks more but saves at least 30 minutes.

And I'll give you the warning I was given years ago: don't wear any other teams paraphenalia. You will get harassed and possibly assaulted. Same goes for your son. There are lots of A-holes at these games who don't know the first thing about baseball.

Tony Coca
12-30-2006, 12:51 PM
The stadiums are a good deal away from each other (not mileage wise but travel time wise). You should stay in Midtown. You'll be close to Times Square and its easy to hop a train to both Ballparks. Don't get suckered into staying near the airports bc the rooms are cheaper. NYC is nowhere near the airports and you'll be shelling out money on cabs/cars.

The secret for getting to Shea is to take the Long Island Railroad instead of the subway. Its a couple bucks more but saves at least 30 minutes.

And I'll give you the warning I was given years ago: don't wear any other teams paraphenalia. You will get harassed and possibly assaulted. Same goes for your son. There are lots of A-holes at these games who don't know the first thing about baseball.

I'll agree with you on that.If you guys go to the yankee games wear yankee gear.If you go to the mets wear mets gear.Dont do like me and go to Boston wear Yankee gear.:D

sellin71
12-30-2006, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. Actually we are trying to watch a game in every major league stadium. We always root for the home team, unless the Cardinals are playing, which in this case they are not.

Which airport should I fly into.

Tony Coca
12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. Actually we are trying to watch a game in every major league stadium. We always root for the home team, unless the Cardinals are playing, which in this case they are not.

Which airport should I fly into.

La Guardia.

sellin71
12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Do the tifecta - rent a car and hit Philly's ballpark as well. Its a really nice ballpark.

I just checked Philly's schedule. The Cardinals play them on the 14th. I could fly into Philly and then head up to NY. I see a plan coming together. Airline tickets are half price to Philly compared to NY. I can fly to Philly for $149 a person. That savings would allow me to rent a car and drive to NY.

sellin71
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I guess I could pay the NY Mafia in beer to guide me around NY.

Underdog07
12-30-2006, 05:14 PM
My wife said I should remind you that Boston is only a few hours from NYC and Baltimore/Pittsburgh are close to Philly.

Personally I think Pittsburgh is too far and is better suited for a trip involving: Detroit/Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Cincinnati. But Boston is the other other NE stadium that you would have to hit.

If you have difficulties getting tickets to any games, PM me and I'll see if I can work some magic, particularly with the Red Sox or Yankee tickets.

sellin71
12-30-2006, 05:19 PM
My wife said I should remind you that Boston is only a few hours from NYC and Baltimore/Pittsburgh are close to Philly.

Personally I think Pittsburgh is too far and is better suited for a trip involving: Detroit/Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Cincinnati. But Boston is the other other NE stadium that you would have to hit.

If you have difficulties getting tickets to any games, PM me and I'll see if I can work some magic, particularly with the Red Sox or Yankee tickets.

Thanks, I may lean on you for some Yankee tickets.

Tony Coca
12-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks, I may lean on you for some Yankee tickets.

Yeah Me too.:D

sellin71
12-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah Me too.:D

You gonna be my guide Tony. I pay well, I beer an inning.

Underdog07
12-30-2006, 06:26 PM

FYI: Yankee stadium beers are about $10 a pop.

Tony Coca
12-30-2006, 06:53 PM

i wouldnt do that to you,Beers are expensive at the stadium.Ill show you guys around the city.

sellin71
12-30-2006, 07:26 PM
i wouldnt do that to you,Beers are expensive at the stadium.Ill show you guys around the city.

Sweet!!! The rest of the guys would be surely welcome too!

Jabberwocky
01-02-2007, 01:38 AM

Pittsburgh is too far out of the way... your talking a 5+ hour ride from Philly. Baltimore would work on the other hand. The ultimate road trip would be to fly into DC catch a Nationals game, rent a car and drive to Baltimore, Philly, NY then Boston. You could see six stadiums on one trip. Unfortunately it is probably next to impossible to find a time when all of there schedules line up that you could pull that off.

Underdog07
01-02-2007, 01:58 AM
When trying to hit all the stadiums, the biggest problem is Toronto. You almost have to fly there as a stand alone trip.

Sellin, what stadiums have you been to so far?

I've seen games at the following:

Cleveland Stadium
Jacobs Field
Fulton County Stadium
River Front
Three River's
Pac Bell (SF)
Oakland Colisieum
Fenway Park
Wrigley Field
Citizen's Bank Park (Philly)
Shea
Yankee Stadium

Collection King 13
01-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Ummmm... Coca doesnt drive... I wouldnt use him as a guide... :D

sellin71
01-03-2007, 09:15 PM
When trying to hit all the stadiums, the biggest problem is Toronto. You almost have to fly there as a stand alone trip.

Sellin, what stadiums have you been to so far?

I've seen games at the following:

Cleveland Stadium
Jacobs Field
Fulton County Stadium
River Front
Three River's
Pac Bell (SF)
Oakland Colisieum
Fenway Park
Wrigley Field
Citizen's Bank Park (Philly)
Shea
Yankee Stadium

Old Busch Stadium
New Busch Stadium
Royals Stadium
US Celluar Field (Sox)
Miller Park (Brewers)

My son is just now old enough to really enough a good game. He loves the idea of a trip with good ole Dad.

sellin71
01-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Fine, you are drafted then.:)

Tony Coca
01-03-2007, 09:34 PM

F... driving.Theyre here as tourist they have to use Mass Transit like all of the other tourist do.

Underdog07
01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
New Busch Stadium

I've heard nothing but really great things about that new park. Cardinal's fans are some of the best fan's in the nation.

sellin71
01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I've heard nothing but really great things about that new park. Cardinal's fans are some of the best fan's in the nation.

It's a great place to watch a game. The fans are all students of the game. They are also very polite, a great place to take a kid to watch a game.

Underdog07
01-04-2007, 02:54 AM
It's a great place to watch a game. The fans are all students of the game. They are also very polite, a great place to take a kid to watch a game.

Sadly the same can not be said about Yankee stadium and, to a lesser degree, Shea stadium. Some people go to Yankee games just to get drunk and fight. Plus, most Yankee fans don't seem to understand many aspects of the game. They'll boo a pitcher for throwing an 0-2 ball (obviously a set up pitch). They expect, actually no they feel entitled to a HR every at bat etc etc.

You'll have to give us your reviews of the stadiums. Then come back in 2 years and hit the new ones.

sellin71
01-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Sadly the same can not be said about Yankee stadium and, to a lesser degree, Shea stadium. Some people go to Yankee games just to get drunk and fight. Plus, most Yankee fans don't seem to understand many aspects of the game. They'll boo a pitcher for throwing an 0-2 ball (obviously a set up pitch). They expect, actually no they feel entitled to a HR every at bat etc etc.

You'll have to give us your reviews of the stadiums. Then come back in 2 years and hit the new ones.

When are the Mets getting a new stadium?

Underdog07
01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
When are the Mets getting a new stadium?

2008 or 2009, I believe