PDA

View Full Version : CES 2007: LG to unveil combo Blu-ray - HD DVD player

Wooktroop
01-04-2007, 09:01 PM
From TG Daily:

CES 2007: LG to unveil combo Blu-ray - HD DVD player

by Mark Raby

January 4, 2007 10:32

Pre CES 2007 coverage - San Diego (CA) - Bringing out what many tepid consumers have been looking for in the next-generation DVD war, LG Electronics has announced that it is working on a device that will play both Blu-ray and HD DVD discs.

The model will be on display at LG's booth during CES 2007, which begins next Monday. The player will be released in the US in "early 2007", says LG.

The Sony-led Blu-ray technology and Toshiba-fronted HD DVD are competing for next generation dominance, so until now there has been little acceptance among manufacturers or content providers to support both, with several big-name companies holding a personal stake in one of the formats.

A firm release date and price for the combo unit is expected to be announced during next week's CES.

Ghost
01-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Yup that's pretty much what I was gonna post after work, when ppl were talking about it earlier this morning. I wish I could go to CES, it's only 4 hours away in Vegas and starts next Monday....

Boerboel
01-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Should be interesting to see what the price will be. If its not too bad I would say that would be a smart way to go, can't lose if one of the two formats craps out.

The General
01-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Samsung also has had one in the works for a while now. I'm sure it's going to be expensive. Might be worth the stretch though because then no matter who wins this blasted format war you will ready to roll and you won't have to throw out your format loser DVD's. I'm not buying anything for another couple of months anyway. I'll say it again, my money to win the war is HD DVD.

cougartrace
01-05-2007, 12:51 PM
too bad the loser in all this is the consumers..

The General
01-05-2007, 12:57 PM
too bad the loser in all this is the consumers..

Same as always. Just like the video game market, these companies are really screwing over the video game consumer.

Boerboel
01-08-2007, 02:59 PM
LG introduced a DVD player to support both next-generation, high-definition DVD technologies, offering a solution in an escalating war between Blu-ray and HD DVD. LG said its Super Multi Blu Player would be available in early February in the United States for about $1,200.

Ouch, a bit steep.

Bullseye
01-08-2007, 03:03 PM
$1200 is abit on the expensive side but its only a matter of time before all of this technology reduces in price, at least i hope so.

batman1180
01-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I guess if you look at it like the normal blu-ray player is 1000 and HD DVD player is 500, 1200 is a little better of a price. Not that I would spend that much, but I'm sure there are tons of people out there who are happy with this.

Bullseye
01-08-2007, 03:19 PM
You could just get the PS3 and the Toshiba for alot cheaper.

Ghost
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
LG is also releasing a BluRay reader and writer and HD reader combo drive for the PC. Depending on the price I might look into it since I can just as easily hook up my HDTV to my PC and then watch Blu Ray discs like that. But given the case I'd still go with a PS3 down the line.