PDA

View Full Version : First book of the year

sellin71
01-06-2007, 04:58 PM
What book did you start the year with.

I started with "Three Weeks with My Brother" by Nicholas Sparks. Finished that and am now reading "1776"

I will then read "Pull of the Earth" by our own Teague.

MONSTER
01-06-2007, 05:06 PM
You've already read more books this year than I did last year.:o

Bullseye
01-06-2007, 05:54 PM
The Silmarillion.

JLM
01-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I've read half of "Arthur & George" by Julian Barnes at the minute. Next up is "Pull of the Earth" by some hack writer. :)

JM28Cardiff
01-06-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm reading Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self by Claire Tomalin. I've had it for a few years, but have lots of books I havent read yet, so I'm looking at things from my own "library" before I purchase any new ones. Or at least thats the theory.

Teague
01-06-2007, 09:16 PM
I've read half of "Arthur & George" by Julian Barnes at the minute. Next up is "Pull of the Earth" by some hack writer. :)

Hey now! :)

My first read of the year is "Play Money" by Julian Dibbell--it's about making actual money on virtual economies in online gaming. Just finished it--it was pretty good, but I wished it had gone into more detail.

Next up is "King Dork", which I've heard good things about. We'll see!

SirConor
01-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Read Will Clarke's Lord Vishnu's Love Handles. Absolutely loved it, its incredibly funny (rarely do I ever laugh out loud while reading a book), probably the funniest book I have ever read. Easy read, very imaginative.

Right now I'm just starting Christ The Lord out of Egypt by Anne Rice. Her vampire chronicles were some of my favorite books of all time, and the premise of this book is quite interesting. Narrarated by Jesus, age 7, just realizing that he is "different." So far, so good.

Boerboel
01-06-2007, 10:42 PM
The Fellowship of the Ring, its been a while.

cblakey1
01-07-2007, 01:41 AM
What book did you start the year with.

I started with "Three Weeks with My Brother" by Nicholas Sparks. Finished that and am now reading "1776"

I will then read "Pull of the Earth" by our own Teague.

Damn dude. Are car sales really that slow?

You're giving me a cavity with your Nicholas Sparks reading. Might I suggest "A Walk to Remember", "Nights in Rodanthe", or "The Notebook" if you want to get more in touch with your less masculine side? :laugh:

batman1180
01-07-2007, 02:27 AM
The Crystal Shard by R A Salvatore.

sellin71
01-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Damn dude. Are car sales really that slow?

You're giving me a cavity with your Nicholas Sparks reading. Might I suggest "A Walk to Remember", "Nights in Rodanthe", or "The Notebook" if you want to get more in touch with your less masculine side? :laugh:

Actually, I was out of reading material. My wife had "Three Weeks" lying around so I read it. It really wasn't that bad. Now "1776" is going to be good, I'm only a quarter through it but I can tell.

Car sales have actually been pretty good this year. I do most of my reading from 5:00-6:30 in the morning.

Poisonous
01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
You've already read more books this year than I did last year.:o

Ditto.

Just can't get the peace of mind to just sit down with a book. I just can't, not any more. I seriously need a vacation.

I need to finish reading Assassination vacation :laugh:

thecallahan
01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
About halfway through World War Z at this point, really enjoying it too.

rric528
01-08-2007, 05:05 PM
About halfway through World War Z at this point, really enjoying it too.

I just finished WW Z. Great Book!

My first book was Time's Black Lagoon. One of the new Universal Monsters Novels.

Now I'm on to Monster Island.

sellin71
02-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Just finished "Under the Influence, the unauthorized biography of the Anheuser Busch Dynasty" and it is very interesting. I am in the middle of
"Culture Warrior" by Bill O'Reilly. It is very good as well.

Teague
02-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Just starting "Fortress of Solitude" by Jonathan Lethem. His "Men and Cartoons" short collection was genius, so I'm looking forward to the novel.

Also just picked up World War Z at my LCS. Might be a fun read. :thumbs2:

rychehitman
02-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Controversy Creates Cash........the autobiography of Eric Bischoff

mrmoto
03-06-2007, 04:10 AM
WEED SPECIES by Jack Ketchum. It's a very short one but packs a helluva punch.

Very disturbing.

Statue and Bust
03-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Just started "The Prestige"