PDA

View Full Version : New York City STINKS!

rychehitman
01-08-2007, 01:32 PM
So, what's the deal mafia...?

Was it a gas leak this morning?

Was there really 9/11 type panic thinking it was an attack?

coca, did you have somethign to do with it?

everyone okay?

Any traffic hassles?

Fill us in!

Ish
01-08-2007, 01:45 PM
i don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about, then again i don't follow the news.

rric528
01-08-2007, 01:55 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070108/ts_nm/newyork_gas_dc

try this...

Coca???? Was that you?

sellin71
01-08-2007, 02:11 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070108/ts_nm/newyork_gas_dc

try this...

Coca???? Was that you?

:)

The General
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm sure that either Coca or Zurb is responsible for this.

Zurbaran1
01-08-2007, 03:00 PM
So, what's the deal mafia...?

Was it a gas leak this morning?

Was there really 9/11 type panic thinking it was an attack?

coca, did you have somethign to do with it?

everyone okay?

Any traffic hassles?

Fill us in!

Well I'll tell you it was actually kind of scary and it's still a bit disturbing because no one has any answers. I got off the train this morning on my way to work and as I was walking out of the station I right away noticed the smell of gas. I walked to work, which is around 10 blocks away, and as I got into the office I also caught the smell of gas in the office. The office admin was just in the process of contacting the building because she thought there might be a leak in the building itself. I let her know that I had smelt it as far as 10 blocks away. It seems to have been everywhere although it has now dissapated. We were thinking that there might have been a natural gas leak somewhere and since everyone was smelling it it must have been huge. The city is still trying to figure out where it was coming from. Quite a few buildings were evacuated and people were on edge. The mayor reassured everyone by saying that the city air monitors showed no abnormal or toxic levels. Hardly reassuring when you remember they told everyone the air around the WTC site was safe to breathe. It would be really nice if they figured out what was going on.

The General
01-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Well I'll tell you it was actually kind of scary and it's still a bit disturbing because no one has any answers. I got off the train this morning on my way to work and as I was walking out of the station I right away noticed the smell of gas. I walked to work, which is around 10 blocks away, and as I got into the office I also caught the smell of gas in the office. The office admin was just in the process of contacting the building because she thought there might be a leak in the building itself. I let her know that I had smelt it as far as 10 blocks away. It seems to have been everywhere although it has now dissapated. We were thinking that there might have been a natural gas leak somewhere and since everyone was smelling it it must have been huge. The city is still trying to figure out where it was coming from. Quite a few buildings were evacuated and people were on edge. The mayor reassured everyone by saying that the city air monitors showed no abnormal or toxic levels. Hardly reassuring when you remember they told everyone the air around the WTC site was safe to breathe. It would be really nice if they figured out what was going on.

All jokes aside I'm also very disturbed by this. How the hell can nobody have answers???

rychehitman
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM

that is prett scary Zurb. I heard the Mayors address on Stern regarding the situaiton, and yeah, he did nt really give any answers. In your estimation Zurb...if this WAS a chemical agent attack, what would the casualties have been like? It would be a good move for terrorists to do something like this that is harmless BEFORE doing the real deal to give everyone that "oh, this again" non-panic reaction.

Ghost
01-08-2007, 04:00 PM
that is prett scary Zurb. I heard the Mayors address on Stern regarding the situaiton, and yeah, he did nt really give any answers. In your estimation Zurb...if this WAS a chemical agent attack, what would the casualties have been like? It would be a good move for terrorists to do something like this that is harmless BEFORE doing the real deal to give everyone that "oh, this again" non-panic reaction.

Yeah the whole War of the Worlds syndrome or boy cried wolf. Pretty messed up. Stay on alert fellas!

Primal
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Good thing I had the day off from work today.

batman1180
01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Good thing I had the day off from work today.

hmmm, does anyone else think it's just a coincidence that Primal has the day off work, and there is a natural gas leak today? I think someone might have had an insider tip...:peoples: :D

'Nuff
01-08-2007, 05:14 PM
According to CNN the odor was as far as 10 miles from downtown...Couple that with the mysterious bird deaths in Austin and the crap in Miami...

fenix v.2.0
01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
what crap in Miami?

'Nuff
01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
what crap in Miami?

Those guys in the truck trying to get into the port...Feds found traces of c4 in a package...UPDATE...I just checked the story and the equipment they used is somes times faulty...as it was in this case...My bad and my apology...But it could have been a dry run...

rychehitman
01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
According to CNN the odor was as far as 10 miles from downtown...Couple that with the mysterious bird deaths in Austin and the crap in Miami...

not to be a downer...

But its only a matter of time until another terrorist strike hits U.S. soil. It really amazes me how we are STILL so unprepared. Look at the reaction in NYC today. Why do you guys NOT have haz-mat suits in your offices? Realistically speaking there is NO WAY you'd get out in time if there was a chamical agent released, or a dirty bomb went off. Getting these things into the country through the ports is STILL childs play! Right now the US Military is stretched pretty thin, and the media LOVES to expose that at evey chance they get!

Tony Coca
01-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Sorry all.I had a long night of tacos and burritos the night before.Had to let loose this morning.

fenix v.2.0
01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
not to be a downer...

But its only a matter of time until another terrorist strike hits U.S. soil. It really amazes me how we are STILL so unprepared. Look at the reaction in NYC today. Why do you guys NOT have haz-mat suits in your offices? Realistically speaking there is NO WAY you'd get out in time if there was a chamical agent released, or a dirty bomb went off. Getting these things into the country through the ports is STILL childs play! Right now the US Military is stretched pretty thin, and the media LOVES to expose that at evey chance they get!

Man, you are a smart man ryche, living in Ohio. I doubt they would ever attack there.

rychehitman
01-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Man, you are a smart man ryche, living in Ohio. I doubt they would ever attack there.

actually a strike in the "heartland of america" would probably cause a hell of a lot more fear than another strike in NYC, or another makor city like L.A. The crops produced in the area makes it a pretty tactical target as well.

You realize this conversation has just placed statueforum, comicstatues, and D Rod on some type of FBI watch list:)

Zurbaran1
01-08-2007, 06:20 PM

If you have been through 911 you don't take anything like this quite as lightly as you otherwise might. If this had been a chemical agent attack I can only imagine that the casualties would have bordered on the unthinkable. The smell of gas was spread out over a huge area. It made it's way into buildings and there is no mistaking the smell of gas. It was gas. It disturbs me greatly that they have no answers at this point.

fenix v.2.0
01-08-2007, 06:22 PM
actually a strike in the "heartland of america" would probably cause a hell of a lot more fear than another strike in NYC, or another makor city like L.A. The crops produced in the area makes it a pretty tactical target as well.

Was this ever in "Pinky and the Brain"?

rychehitman
01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
that is disturbing.

Surely if it was legit, by now someone would have discovered something???

Scary thing is, THIS TIME you smelled it. That gives an awful lot of information regarding how far the stff spread from its original release point, and what areas would be effected, etc. NEXT TIME it may be a gas that has no smell to it at all.

'Nuff
01-08-2007, 06:27 PM
that is disturbing.

Surely if it was legit, by now someone would have discovered something???

Scary thing is, THIS TIME you smelled it. That gives an awful lot of information regarding how far the stff spread from its original release point, and what areas would be effected, etc. NEXT TIME it may be a gas that has no smell to it at all.

Natural gas has no smell...they stick an additive in there to give it the odor...Which makes the situation even worse if the gas released is also flammable...

rychehitman
01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
yeah, i never said it was natural gas..that doesnt have a smell...and the ignition point is fairly high right? something like a cigar couldnt light it, right?

'Nuff
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
yeah, i never said it was natural gas..that doesnt have a smell...and the ignition point is fairly high right? something like a cigar couldnt light it, right?

My gas stove ignites with an electronic spark...Doesn't take much to set it off...I wouldn't worry about it...I am sure the authorities are on it...:thumbs2:

cap70
01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
So anyone has any clue yet about which gas was it and where did it came from?
Damn, that's scary indeed.

Zurbaran1
01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
So anyone has any clue yet about which gas was it and where did it came from?
Damn, that's scary indeed.

It smelled exactly like natural gas. I had a leak once and I know the smell of gas, this was it. Like nuff said by itself it does not have a smell. They put in an additive so that you can smell it when there is a leak. It doesn't take anything at all to set it off. One spark and kaboom. That's what gets me. You could smell this over a significant part of the city and adjoining New Jersey. At the time I was thinking that there was a huge leak somewhere which they had better find quick before there was a massive explosion. The fact that they seem to be brushing it off because it dissipated doesn't exactly leave me with the warm fuzzies. They really need to find out what this was all about and not tell us that it wasn't harmful.

Endless Wake
01-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Let's not forget the syrup smell that has hit the city twice with still no explanation. Whatever the source of these odors, it has to be pretty big to be noticed citywide.

'Nuff
01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
It smelled exactly like natural gas. I had a leak once and I know the smell of gas, this was it. Like nuff said by itself it does not have a smell. They put in an additive so that you can smell it when there is a leak. It doesn't take anything at all to set it off. One spark and kaboom. That's what gets me. You could smell this over a significant part of the city and adjoining New Jersey. At the time I was thinking that there was a huge leak somewhere which they had better find quick before there was a massive explosion. The fact that they seem to be brushing it off because it dissipated doesn't exactly leave me with the warm fuzzies. They really need to find out what this was all about and not tell us that it wasn't harmful.

I'm not real sure how it would be affected by a spark in the open air...don't think there would be enough concentration of NG for an explosion...but if confined in an area where there wasn't much ventilation...there would be your "kaboom"...Was it really thick in the buildings...?...or just the same everywhere...?...:confused:

Zurbaran1
01-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm not real sure how it would be affected by a spark in the open air...don't think there would be enough concentration of NG for an explosion...but if confined in an area where there wasn't much ventilation...there would be your "kaboom"...Was it really thick in the buildings...?...or just the same everywhere...?...:confused:

I wasn't thinking necessarily in the air It had to have been coming from somewhere and to be noticed over such a great area I just assumed it was some major leak. A spark at the source and well....

The smell was noticeable and unmistakeable. Let me put it this way, it was strong enough to cause the evacuation of several buildings including, I believe the Empire State Building and 30 Rock. I work right across the street from the Main Post Office Building and they evacuated that one too. I smelt it immediately coming off the train and again 10 blocks later and 10 floors up when I walked into my office. Very strange if you ask me.

Wooktroop
01-08-2007, 10:37 PM
you werent alone

Chemical Leak in Texas, Schools locked down

Gas Leak In London Subway

Gas Leak At Australian Shopping Centre

gas leak mobile alabama

Radiation Leak at British Nuclear Plant

Very Large Gas Main Break In New Mexico

Half Moon Bay Gas Leak

Primal
01-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Huh? Was this all today?

Wooktroop
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
yeah

ANGRYCOMICMAN
01-08-2007, 10:49 PM
The Terrorists are driving around in a small tanker truck with the valve open. This way they can see how the gas permeates through the city's streets. That smell is an addative put in NG (which as we all know is odorless). So did I scare you yet. Same thing with the Syrup smell, which is what Saddam used with his nerve gas against the Kurds. You smell something sweet, so you breath deeper. NOW ARE YOU SCARED.

rric528
01-08-2007, 10:49 PM
And then this!!!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16506982/

What is going on in the world?!?!?!?!

ANGRYCOMICMAN
01-08-2007, 10:51 PM
And then this!!!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16506982/

What is going on in the world?!?!?!?!

Thats more frightening than what I wrote.:(

Tony Coca
01-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Thats more frightening than what I wrote.:(

that was more hysterical then what you said.

wktf
01-13-2007, 11:38 PM
So anyone find out the cause of the nasty scent in NYC?

lord odin
01-14-2007, 01:16 AM
So anyone find out the cause of the nasty scent in NYC?

Last I heard they"think" it was a chemical they add to natural gas.
I think the people of New York deserve a clear answer to this.

Tony Coca
01-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Last I heard they"think" it was a chemical they add to natural gas.
I think the people of New York deserve a clear answer to this.

well they add an agent which they call "The Captain" to gas so that it can have a smell.Now If it was Gas,where did the gas come from.

lord odin
01-14-2007, 01:30 AM
well they add an agent which they call "The Captain" to gas so that it can have a smell.Now If it was Gas,where did the gas come from.

A good question and you would think that if it was that strong a smell their pressure gauge/sensors would go off.

Zurbaran1
01-14-2007, 10:51 PM

That would be "MERCAPTAN" you Momo.

Tony Coca
01-14-2007, 10:55 PM
That would be "MERCAPTAN" you Momo.

mercaptan the captian,it still gives it a smell.

Tommy Allison
01-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Not sure if anyone else posted this, but this is happening all over the place. It happened in Austin, it happened in Australia as well. The only difference is that there were hundreds of birds that fell dead shortly after.

One culprit that people are pointing figures at is Methane.

ANGRYCOMICMAN
01-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Not sure if anyone else posted this, but this is happening all over the place. It happened in Austin, it happened in Australia as well. The only difference is that there were hundreds of birds that fell dead shortly after.

One culprit that people are pointing figures at is Methane.

Can you give specific dates? Cause CK13 travels a lot. :peoples:

Sgt Taz
01-16-2007, 10:30 PM
This is the first I hear of this. I'd think that it'd be on the news here...

Tommy Allison
01-16-2007, 11:28 PM
It happened in Australia in a couple places a few days before the NY thing, and the thing is, it also happened in Austin Texas as well recently. It's been on the news here a bunch.

wktf
01-21-2007, 06:33 PM
This explanation was offered in today's Sunday NYTimes:

Op-Ed Contributor
Sniffing Out the Truth

By GREG O’MULLAN, WADE McGILLIS, RAY SAMBROTTO, PHILIP ORTON and BRIAN MAILLOUX
Published: January 21, 2007

THE mysterious odor that blanketed Manhattan on Jan. 8 remains, well, a mysterious odor. Last week, officials in New York and New Jersey gave up on finding the source of the smell.

But we haven’t, and we think we can support one of the theories of the odor’s source that has been suggested. Based on our familiarity with the local aquatic environment and regional meteorology, we believe that the odor was caused by gases released from sal----er marshes in the metropolitan area.

Let us explain. The intertidal sediments in this region are home to micro-organisms that produce sulfur compounds. When these sediments interact with sal----er that contains low levels of oxygen, gases are released. These gases include hydrogen sulfide and a variety of thiols (like the gas additives thiophane and mercaptan) — all of which have an odor similar to rotten eggs.

While the release of these gases from marsh sediments occurs more or less continually, we suggest that something out of the ordinary occurred on Jan. 8.

First, there was a low tide in the coastal marshes from roughly 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. Second, we experienced winds from the south and an atmospheric inversion, which created something like a low-lying bubble of air.

The result of the two factors? The low tide exposed the marsh sediments and hastened the release of sulfur gases into the atmosphere. The inversion trapped the odor close to the ground and the southerly winds then carried it to Lower Manhattan, where it remained until atmospheric conditions changed.

On what do we base our assumptions?

For starters, independent data and Columbia University instruments on rooftops in Manhattan show a consistent trend in wind speed and direction surrounding New York City. On Jan. 7, the night before the odor was noticed, the dominant winds were moderate and from the south. Such winds would travel over large marshlands like Jamaica Bay and Kill Van Kull before hitting Manhattan.

Early the next day, the atmospheric inversion developed, and remained stable, encapsulating the odor, until wind speed rapidly increased in late morning. At that point, the capping inversion was disrupted and the air mass was dispersed.

And what about the smell? To test this possibility, we calculated the amount of hydrogen sulfide that would need to be released into air volumes of various dimensions, given an odor threshold for the human nose of one part in a million for hydrogen sulfide.

Together with additional estimates of the area of intertidal sediments to the south of the city and the rate of sediment-air gas exchange, we concluded that marsh sediments could indeed supply enough hydrogen sulfide gas to cause the widespread odor New Yorkers experienced.

Our explanation highlights the consequences of excessive nutrient loading and the resulting low oxygen levels in local coastal waters. (By nutrient loading, we mean exposing water to sewage, fertilizer, chemicals or other pollutants.) Of course, these consequences go beyond odor — they kill marsh vegetation, degrade the wider marine habitat and make it unsafe to swim or fish.

Yes, water quality in the New York area has become better in recent decades. But there is still much room for improvement, and conditions like those that took place earlier this month may become more common if local population growth results in more pollutants ending up in coastal waters — and if the frequency of unusually warm air temperatures increases with climate change.

While these odors do not cause a health threat at low concentrations, they are undesirable. What’s more, they are troubling for what they may signal: an environment in need of our attention.

— GREG O’MULLAN, WADE McGILLIS, RAY SAMBROTTO and PHILIP ORTON, scientists at Columbia’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory and department of earth and environmental engineering, and BRIAN MAILLOUX, assistant professor of environmental sciences at Barnard.

Zurbaran1
01-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I saw this in the Times WK and it makes a lot of sense which is probably why the city didn't come up with an answer. :)

devlinboy
01-21-2007, 08:52 PM
i wasnt in nyc that morning, but if you ever opened a canister filter for a sal----er tank that has been sitting stagnant for a while it would smell just like natural gas/sulfur mix. its gross. i used to build aquariums nd i once got a canister filter from a client that he had in his garage for a year, when i opened it outdoors in my driveway, i actually puked cause it smelt so rotten .