PDA

View Full Version : Hey Randy -- Time for BD to start making 1/4 scale statues!

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Your statue looks cool enough as is next to the SS PF Hulk, but imagine if it was just as big! :buttrock:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/KJMARTIN76/DSCN2895.jpg

[BTW -- this pic is from MONSTER's collection as posted in the SS section!]

[Edited the title from PF to 1/4 scale]

Bullseye
01-16-2007, 08:14 PM
These both look great. I cannot wait for my two PF's and Bowen Hulk to arrive.

Underdog07
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I thought PF referred to mixed medium (cloth/resin) and not the size. Am I wrong.

Ish
01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
you mean 1/4 scale...

risingstar
01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Oh jeez... I hope not. If he started doing the Barbie doll clothing line and accessories type thing, that would be one surefire way to get me to stop buying busts and statues. I know some people are liking this type of sculpt but I can't stand it. The same thing goes for statues with battery operated light fixtures and wind up sing along songs.

The size of the statue in the pic is way too huge too.

I would vote no in the biggest way.
Sorry, Mastermold.

:thumbsdow

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:24 PM
I thought PF referred to mixed medium (cloth/resin) and not the size. Am I wrong.

That's how SS does them, but PF is "premium format" so it could just mean larger sculpts which result in allowing greater detailing.

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:24 PM
you mean 1/4 scale...

Exactly. :thumbs2:

High Lord Apocalypse
01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
mm do you mean randy should also make 1/4 scale statues? cause i thought pf just meant the mixed media used on the statues like cloth.

1/4 scale statues on the side form randy is ok by me but no pf!!!
i really don't like cloth on statues. we're not collecting dolls. the upcoming cap from ss, the hulk pf all imo would be better if it was all sculpted.
so far the only statue that i have been truly satisfied that is pf is dr.doom the rest i purchase cause the sculpt is great even though the cloth pants on the hulk for example looks like $hit. i personally it takes away from all the work that andy put into.

Ish
01-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Oh jeez... I hope not. If he started doing the Barbie doll clothing line and accessories type thing, that would be one surefire way to get me to stop buying busts and statues. I know some people are liking this type of sculpt but I can't stand it. The same thing goes for statues with battery operated light fixtures and wind up sing along songs.

Sorry, Mastermold.

you can just vote no and it will have the same effect, no need to go the extra mile...

yorick
01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
just say NO to DOLLIES :thumbsdow :puke2:

Randy has his niche, and a successful one at that.

MONSTER
01-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Bowen start doing statues in 1/4 scale. Just the big guns though like Captain, Hulk, Spidey, Thor etc.

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:33 PM
mm do you mean randy should also make 1/4 scale statues? cause i thought pf just meant the mixed media used on the statues like cloth.

1/4 scale statues on the side form randy is ok by me but no pf!!!
i really don't like cloth on statues. we're not collecting dolls. the upcoming cap from ss, the hulk pf all imo would be better if it was all sculpted.
so far the only statue that i have been truly satisfied that is pf is dr.doom the rest i purchase cause the sculpt is great even though the cloth pants on the hulk for example looks like $hit. i personally it takes away from all the work that andy put into.

Yeah, I should have said 1/4 scale -- its the size, not the clothes. Larger sculpts allow for greater detailing and are obviously more impressive. They're more expensive too. I'd want the current scale to continue but just adding the 1/4 scale to the BD lineup would be really cool.

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Bowen start doing statues in 1/4 scale. Just the big guns though like Captain, Hulk, Spidey, Thor etc.

Exactly, and probably only two statue releases a year.

Ish
01-16-2007, 08:35 PM
i much rather have him do a bronze line again, one per year.

risingstar
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
you can just vote no and it will have the same effect, no need to go the extra mile...

You're not the boss of me, Ishtinky... lol. In any event, as it stands, I don't ever see myself buying the dollies line or the statues line that double the size of present Bowen statues. Too much.

yorick
01-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I should have said 1/4 scale -- its the size, not the clothes. Larger sculpts allow for greater detailing and are obviously more impressive. They're more expensive too. I'd want the current scale to continue but just adding the 1/4 scale to the BD lineup would be really cool.

Exactly, and probably only two statue releases a year.

Ok, now you're talkin' a language I can understand. Sorry for the :puke2: earlier.

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Ok, now you're talkin' a language I can understand. Sorry for the :puke2: earlier.

No worries, I just edited the thread title to clear that up! :thumbs2:

Collection King 13
01-16-2007, 08:39 PM
:laugh: @ title of thread!

boondocksaint
01-16-2007, 08:41 PM
premium formats are awesome!!

but leave that to sideshow...theyre doing a great job...

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Hmmmm, seems I can't edit the actual thread title, it only changed my first post. Any mods who want to assist in clearing this up?

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:43 PM
premium formats are awesome!!

but leave that to sideshow...theyre doing a great job...

SS is going a great job and they are awesome indeed -- which is why everyone should do them!

boondocksaint
01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
done...

ps....ss hulk best ever!

Ish
i'm happy just buying the statues, no need to do them lol.

Underdog07
One issue that could affect this: it may be a different license for the different scales.

Mastermold
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
done...

ps....ss hulk best ever!

No doubt!

HoldyourfireAl
01-16-2007, 08:48 PM
I think Randy has a great niche...FS statues & mini-busts at a perfect size. I'd rather his company concentrate on one of the things they do best---the greatest variety of characters. Getting involved in PF sculpts would slow things down, which would mean less characters. PF seems to be SS niche, which is good because people have a choice.

MONSTER
01-16-2007, 08:55 PM

Even better idea!:buttrock:

HoldyourfireAl
01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
But hey! Who am I? It's not my company! If Randy wants to do PF, more power to him!

BGA

personally, I think my BFF makes the best statues at the best size & format already!

bat_collector
01-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Sideshow 1/4 scale rules!

JadeGiant
01-16-2007, 10:10 PM
1/4 scale BD?

New BD Bronze?

I think my heart needs a jump start ...

deaconbluezzz
01-16-2007, 10:11 PM

I'm liking this idea FAR better than the 1/4 scale suggestion. Leave that market to SS, they seem to be doing well with it. One bronze per year, in the same scale as the present statues, would be a welcome choice to those Bowen collectors that want to add a premium item to highlight their collection.

Randy could start with the bronze Thor that almost went into production years ago.

pmpknface
01-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Eh, that's too much statue for me. TOO BIG. Room is always an issue w/ these things. I'd probably pass.

imthkman
01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
1/4 scale is just too big for me. I wouldn't buy 1/4 scale from anyone, BD included. I can see why people like them though. More statue to love. :)

supermn619
01-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Randy has a perfect way to dispaly not to big not to small ...just right and more Charactors ...Bowen is like honda Lots of choices and good quality where Sideshow is like a hummer Overly huge but awsome and too expesive ..and will hold there value + some on most of there statues!!!!!! I perfer Bowen ....still # 1 in my book!!!!

HoldyourfireAl
01-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Where's FS Ant Man????

deaconbluezzz
01-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Where's FS Ant Man????

Hey! That's MY line!! LOL

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177563/antman.gif

Colossus
01-16-2007, 11:03 PM
1/4 scale would rock but I am not a fan of the clothes. I like the Hulk just cause it looks bad arse but like the elektra from ss with hair was just wrong to me what next real skin?

but a 7.5' tall 1/4 scale galactus would rock! Or like a 28" tall odin would be sweeeeeet. or a 2' tall destroyer! Or Colossus standing there near 2' all chromed out (except the clothing) looking cool!

Alex655321
01-16-2007, 11:04 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177563/antman.gif

lol, AWESOME use of the Batman Logo:thumbs2:
I love it:buttrock:

deaconbluezzz
01-16-2007, 11:07 PM
lol, AWESOME use of the Batman Logo:thumbs2:
I love it:buttrock:

Thanks...it's amazing what you can turn up with a Google Image search :thumbs2:

PaNdeM0niuM
01-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Your statue looks cool enough as is next to the SS PF Hulk, but imagine if it was just as big! :buttrock:

Bowen's hulk might be tiny compared to the Sideshow version, but Bowen's hulk looks a billion times better !!!

Mastermold
01-17-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm still waiting on my Bowen -- hate to wait!

cougartrace
01-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm still waiting too, but it should be here soon.

Eye of Agamotto
01-17-2007, 11:04 AM
SS is making BD look not like statues and more like toys.

cougartrace
01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't think I want Bowen to get into 1/4 scale. I don't know how you guys have all the room to display this stuff. Randy's statues fitter better in shelfs and aren't overwhelming in a room.

jimbo5905
01-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I'd really rather NOT have the statues that big, if only for space concerns....I have to admit that this piece looks amazing, but I'm already dreading what I'll do if Bowen ever actually releases that Sentinel piece.....

BeerNutta
01-17-2007, 12:08 PM
1/4 sucks.

Way too big. If RB started doing this size I would have to quit the hobby. I am sure there are allot of collectors out there in the same boat. Why would RB alienate his customers.

Why doesnt he increase his MB size as well to alienate MB collectors while hes at it. I dont think its gonna happen.

Besides, I dont think he has the license for it.

Teague
01-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Big no from me, too.

I don't like the look of the larger pieces, and their sheer size prevents them from easily being displayed by themselves on shelves, let alone together in a grouping, which I prefer.

Additionally, moving to a different size would split Bowen's target audience. Few buyers, I'd guess, would buy more than one size. I don't think he'd gain market too much--in fact, I think a lot of customers would see this as a fairly good jumping-off point.

Besides, Bowen has his own specific niche in collecting. Why follow another company?

Daredevil
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Bowen should keep doing what he is doing and same for Sideshow. No one would want a 1/4 Mysterio or Moon Knight statue

pablocruze
01-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Where's FS Ant Man????

How about this?

Randy only makes ONE 1/4 scale statue and it's a FS AntMan???

Wouldn't THAT f*ck up our Avengers Displays????? :eplus2:

Makkari1
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
1/4 scale would rock but I am not a fan of the clothes. I like the Hulk just cause it looks bad arse but like the elektra from ss with hair was just wrong to me what next real skin?

but a 7.5' tall 1/4 scale galactus would rock! Or like a 28" tall odin would be sweeeeeet. or a 2' tall Destroyer! Or Colossus standing there near 2' all chromed out (except the clothing) looking cool!

Hell yeah a 24" Destroyer would be sweet!:buttrock:

deaconbluezzz
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
How about this?

Randy only makes ONE 1/4 scale statue and it's a FS AntMan???

Wouldn't THAT f*ck up our Avengers Displays????? :eplus2:

Well, not Ant-Man, but a 1/4 scale Giant-Man would be frikkin' AWESOME!!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177563/giantani.gif

Makkari1
01-17-2007, 02:08 PM
1/4 sucks.

Way too big. If RB started doing this size I would have to quit the hobby. I am sure there are allot of collectors out there in the same boat. Why would RB alienate his customers.

Why doesnt he increase his MB size as well to alienate MB collectors while hes at it. I dont think its gonna happen.

I'm a customer and I would not be alienated in any way, shape, or form if Randy went Mega size. Despite your feelings toward statues that are larger than the norm, there will be customers who will buy them and I would be one of them.:thumbs2:

Teague
01-17-2007, 02:19 PM

This I agree with. If the statue makes sense to be larger (Sentinels), then by all means. But don't break apart your customer base--it doesn't make good business sense.

I'm a customer and I would not be alienated in any way, shape, or form if Randy went Mega size. Despite your feelings toward statues that are larger than the norm, there will be customers who will buy them and I would be one of them.

I don't think there's any question that some would buy them. It might even bring new customers (most of them present SS customers) into the fold. But I would argue that it would have an overall negative affect on Bowen's current customer base. Some would quit collecting altogether, because it's a good stopping point. Some would refuse to collect the 1/4 size at all. Some might switch over to the 1/4 scale and abandon the 1/6 scale. Sure, there will be some people who might continue to buy everything Bowen puts out, or be willing to mix scales in their collection. But we've seen a drastic reduction in the number of completists, especially of late, and I think this would all but seal the deal. In most of the above retail scenarios, fewer current customers are buying each release, and I don't believe such a move would bring in enough new customers to offset the loss.

Jack8022
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
No thanks (from me anyway). 1/8 is just fine for me. A bigger scale would mean less characters on the limited shelfspace I have.

Statuesque Fellow
01-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm not a fan of real fabric on statues either for the most part, but in a couple cases it works. For example the KISS statues. Miniature detailed replicas of their classic costumes :buttrock:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/71621_press05-001.jpg

This is much cooler than a sculpted costume would have been.

And on Hulk, the pants are fine and don't really detract from it. I'm not a fan of the way the fabric costumes on the SS Cap or Spidey statues look though.

Statuesque Fellow
01-17-2007, 02:41 PM

"HULK, and mini-me hulk, SMASH!!!!!" :laugh:

cougartrace
01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
I like this comparision shot. I like to be able to see a statue's face when i display it. The hunched over SS hides the face somewhat.

Mastermold
01-17-2007, 02:46 PM
1/4 sucks.

The license is the legal issue. I'm assuming he could get it.

Why would you quit the hobby just because BD started a new line in conjunction with the existing lines? :confused: Did you quit when BD went from MBs to FS statues? When the mini-statues came out? When they stopped?

Zemo55
01-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Hell yeah a 24" Destroyer would be sweet!:buttrock:

24" DESTROYER :buttrock: :buttrock:

Zemo55
01-17-2007, 04:23 PM

Yer a 110% right about that!

Zodach
01-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Due to the amount of display space 1/4 scale would take up and the increased cost, I'm against it. I really like the smaller scale that Randy uses since I can fit most statues in my Detolfs.

Brian R.
01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
No, they're just too big. No room for them. Other companies (Sideshow etc.) put these out already, and I'm pretty sure Randy would have to pay quit a bit extra to get the license to do this scale. The 1:8 scale (or thereabouts) that he currently produces the MB and FS at is perfect.

Mastermold
01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
You nay-sayers are no fun!

Makkari1
01-17-2007, 07:23 PM
This I agree with. If the statue makes sense to be larger (Sentinels), then by all means. But don't break apart your customer base--it doesn't make good business sense.

I don't think there's any question that some would buy them. It might even bring new customers (most of them present SS customers) into the fold. But I would argue that it would have an overall negative affect on Bowen's current customer base. Some would quit collecting altogether, because it's a good stopping point. Some would refuse to collect the 1/4 size at all. Some might switch over to the 1/4 scale and abandon the 1/6 scale. Sure, there will be some people who might continue to buy everything Bowen puts out, or be willing to mix scales in their collection. But we've seen a drastic reduction in the number of completists, especially of late, and I think this would all but seal the deal. In most of the above retail scenarios, fewer current customers are buying each release, and I don't believe such a move would bring in enough new customers to offset the loss.

The same argument could be said when Bowen does MB's and FS's. I really don't like MB's but when RB does my favorite I'll buy it, I prefer FS but I'll buy MB as well. A customer will buy regardless of the size of the piece if its done right. I just can't see people not buying Bowen because he put a few large pieces out.

Now if Randy were to abandon what he has produced altogether for the larger size, then yes, he might lose his base, but no one is saying that. By adding a larger size to his line in limited quanities, I don't see him making people mad. Also Bowen doesn't have to mass produce a piece to sell it limited quanities work just as well. Sideshow only did 179 of the PF Grey Hulks and they sold out at a higher price so fast that few people knew they were being offered until too late. If Randy decided to do a few mega size pieces they'll sell very fast IMO. There's an old saying "if you build it someone will buy it."

Mastermold
01-17-2007, 07:34 PM
The same argument could be said when Bowen does MB's and FS's. I really don't like MB's but when RB does my favorite I'll buy it, I prefer FS but I'll buy MB as well. A customer will buy regardless of the size of the piece if its done right. I just can't see people not buying Bowen because he put a few large pieces out.

Now if Randy were to abandon what he has produced altogether for the larger size, then yes, he might lose his base, but no one is saying that. By adding a larger size to his line in limited quanities, I don't see him making people mad. Also Bowen doesn't have to mass produce a piece to sell it limited quanities work just as well. Sideshow only did 179 of the PF Grey Hulks and they sold out at a higher price so fast that few people knew they were being offered until too late. If Randy decided to do a few mega size pieces they'll sell very fast IMO. There's an old saying "if you build it someone will buy it."

Exactly. Well said. :buttrock:

Brian R.
01-18-2007, 12:20 AM

Problem is, people already complain when anyone suggests any kind of resculpt of a previously released character because it takes time away from new characters being done. A whole new scale will take loads of time away from BD because the big guns will all have to be done in the new scale, and some of the characters we've been waiting years for will never see the light of day.:(

JadeGiant
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Problem is, people already complain when anyone suggests any kind of resculpt of a previously released character because it takes time away from new characters being done. A whole new scale will take loads of time away from BD because the big guns will all have to be done in the new scale, and some of the characters we've been waiting years for will never see the light of day.:(

but they still buy which is what it is all about

Brian R.
01-18-2007, 12:37 AM
but they still buy which is what it is all about

You're completely missing the point. I certainly will not buy this scale and I'm sure others feel the same way. I would much rather see new characters appear in Bowen's current scale.

JadeGiant
01-18-2007, 12:40 AM
You're completely missing the point. I certainly will not buy this scale and I'm sure others feel the same way. I would much rather see new characters appear in Bowen's current scale.

I get your point. Sure, some will complain and not buy but there will be plenty lining up to buy these if they are done nicely. IMO, more people would buy the new line than those who would quit buying the existing line.

Brian R.
01-18-2007, 12:58 AM
I get your point. Sure, some will complain and not buy but there will be plenty lining up to buy these if they are done nicely. IMO, more people would buy the new line than those who would quit buying the existing line.

We'll agree to disagree. The new line would be very expensive and hard to display. A lot of fans have cut down already because of space restrictions. The scale you want is huge and takes up a lot of room, plus you would have to re-purchase the same characters you already own. Wouldn't you rather see busts and statues of Odin, Enchantress, Valkyrie, Tiger Shark, and dozens of others instead of having yet another Hulk or Wolverine statue? I know I would.

JadeGiant
01-18-2007, 01:01 AM
We'll agree to disagree. The new line would be very expensive and hard to display. A lot of fans have cut down already because of space restrictions. The scale you want is huge and takes up a lot of room, plus you would have to re-purchase the same characters you already own. Wouldn't you rather see busts and statues of Odin, Enchantress, Valkyrie, Tiger Shark, and dozens of others instead of having yet another Hulk or Wolverine statue? I know I would.

Actually, I am not disagreeing with you about the existing line - I think it could continue seperately:thumbs2: I think there is enough of a market for both to succeed:thumbs2:

Brian R.
01-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Actually, I am not disagreeing with you about the existing line - I think it could continue seperately:thumbs2: I think there is enough of a market for both to succeed:thumbs2:

You're probably right. Some people can't get enough of Wolvie and the other popular guys, and the Hulk statue you've shown is pretty nice. I just think it would take Randy away from sculpting some obscure characters that I really want. I wonder about the cost and availability of the license as well. I just wish I had more room to display this stuff, then I might be more in agreement with you!:buttrock:

Teague
01-18-2007, 01:29 AM

I disagree that the two situations are analagous. Bowen's FS and MB lines started at approximately the same time. Now that he's established, he's known for that. If BD starts making quarter-scale pieces, he's not only further diluting what's a finite amount of attention, investment, and effort (at least without sacrificing quality), he's also becoming a follower in an industry in which he's already known as one of the leaders. Not a good trade.

Hey, I'm not saying that larger pieces shouldn't be made. Like I said, if it makes sense (Sentinels, Giant Man, whatever) I'd even buy one. But start messing with scale and it will be received really negatively, both here and in the market at large.

Just my two cents. :thumbs2:

Teague
01-18-2007, 01:34 AM

Maybe you're right, JG--there's no way of knowing, really. But I'm seeing a lot of people cutting way back on statue buying as it is. Start making really expensive, different-scale, limited edition (or any combo of the three) pieces, and I still think BD sees fewer customers, not more.

It's always risky when you change an established formula. Just ask the guys who thought of New Coke. :)

Makkari1
01-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I disagree that the two situations are analagous. Bowen's FS and MB lines started at approximately the same time. Now that he's established, he's known for that. If BD starts making quarter-scale pieces, he's not only further diluting what's a finite amount of attention, investment, and effort (at least without sacrificing quality), he's also becoming a follower in an industry in which he's already known as one of the leaders. Not a good trade.

Hey, I'm not saying that larger pieces shouldn't be made. Like I said, if it makes sense (Sentinels, Giant Man, whatever) I'd even buy one. But start messing with scale and it will be received really negatively, both here and in the market at large.

Just my two cents. :thumbs2:

I disagree that the market is finite. You think that Randy only has a certain set of customers that are static and won't grow, but thats not true. I got into statue collecting back 2005 when I first saw the Juggernaut by Bowen, I was blown away and said where have these guys been all this time. I like this stuff so much I told my brother and now he's hooked as well. New customers are being added every day to this market. That's 2 people right there and we've bought dozens of pieces. Remember Randy is selling to a global market not a regional market. Randy would no more lose customers than Coca Cola would lose people by adding a new soft drink line, I mean they do sell more than just coke, there's Sprite, Gatorade, and other soft drinks as well.

Don't talk about the scale of these pieces. You can't tell me that all of Bowens pieces are to scale. The FS pieces are a wee bit larger than the MB's. I use to think that MB's were FS just cut in half, but I don't think thats true. I really don't see Randy losing people because he put out a few larger special pieces. To me it seems that he would be opening up a new market where one didn't exist before, and that my friend is responding to market demand whether you are the leader or not, just my 2 cents.

Tony Coca
01-18-2007, 07:43 PM
If Bowen does 1/4 scale statues it should only be use for characters that fit the situation.

Like Giant Man,Goliath,Watcher,Sentinels,Galactus,stiltman:D.

Teague
01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I disagree that the market is finite. You think that Randy only has a certain set of customers that are static and won't grow, but thats not true. I got into statue collecting back 2005 when I first saw the Juggernaut by Bowen, I was blown away and said where have these guys been all this time. I like this stuff so much I told my brother and now he's hooked as well. New customers are being added every day to this market. That's 2 people right there and we've bought dozens of pieces. Remember Randy is selling to a global market not a regional market. Randy would no more lose customers than Coca Cola would lose people by adding a new soft drink line, I mean they do sell more than just coke, there's Sprite, Gatorade, and other soft drinks as well.

Don't talk about the scale of these pieces. You can't tell me that all of Bowens pieces are to scale. The FS pieces are a wee bit larger than the MB's. I use to think that MB's were FS just cut in half, but I don't think thats true. I really don't see Randy losing people because he put out a few larger special pieces. To me it seems that he would be opening up a new market where one didn't exist before, and that my friend is responding to market demand whether you are the leader or not, just my 2 cents.

Makkari, I didn't say that the market was finite at all--I think you misread my post. I said that Bowen Designs time, investment, and effort was finite, at least while maintaining a certain standard of quality. I do think that the collectible statue market isn't expanding at nearly the rate as the companies offering product, though, and I admit that's totally based on my perception as a fan, a buyer, and a seller (both online and at my friend's LCS). There's just a lot of product out there these days, of any scale.

Ans as far as scale goes, you're right that the BD scale isn't completely standard. The Ghost Rider FS is a good example. But it's also not (currently) radically different, like the quarter-scale would be. And besides, Bowen's already experimented with radically different scales (the mini-statues), and he abandoned it, for whatever reason. (I think the mini's did pretty well, and still have their fans here on the boards--but I don't think that's an indicator of the success of larger statues at a higher price point, since the price point was one of the things that made the mini-statues sell, to some degree.)

And in making 1/4 scale statues, BD wouldn't in any sense be "opening up a new market where one didn't exist before". It's already being done by a rival company. If I was Randy, I'd rather remain the leader in my field rather than split my attention and try to catch up with another company already working and establishing their name and reputation in another. That's all I'm saying.

Ultimately, though, I think this discussion is largely moot, since I totally agree with a previous poster who mentioned that Randy doesn't have the license for this scale, and is pretty unlikely to pay for one. But hey, if a ginormous Spidey would make you happy, I'm pulling for you. :thumbs2:

Teague
01-18-2007, 07:52 PM
If Bowen does 1/4 scale statues it should only be use for characters that fit the situation.

Like Giant Man,Goliath,Watcher,Sentinels,Galactus,stiltman:D.

Now see, THIS I'm down with. (Though I'd pass on Stilt-man, thanks...)

Would Randy have to get a new license for these things? Did he have to for the Sentinel?

Mastermold
01-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Once you have the 1/4 scale in front of you, you want MORE!

Bigger = better. There's just no escaping it!

deaconbluezzz
01-18-2007, 11:26 PM

Bigger just equals more expensive...and that would be the death knell of my interest in this hobby. It's getting too expensive as it is.

Ink
01-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Bigger just equals more expensive...and that would be the death knell of my interest in this hobby. It's getting too expensive as it is.

that's why I only dabble in sideshow products:thumbs2:

Makkari1
01-19-2007, 11:59 AM

I thought that you liked things in bigger packages, and if that ain't true then your avatar is lying:)

Deadpool
01-19-2007, 12:02 PM

Sorry, Mastermold.

Agreed RS, my sentiments exactly! :thumbsdow Sorry MM!

BeerNutta
01-19-2007, 01:22 PM

When I go to the store and see the bigger statues. They never yell buy me. (Ok i lie. Only once has it yelled buy me and that was the sideshow doom on the throne. But that was because it was just badass)

Like I said, I dont think BD will ever go bigger. They would alienate their current fanbase. I understand some might not agree. But then again, I also believe that these people are of the Minority. :thumbs2:

Thats just my 2 cents.

Sniper
01-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Bowen's hulk might be tiny compared to the Sideshow version, but Bowen's hulk looks a billion times better !!!

= bowenoser:confused2

Jameshowlett
01-19-2007, 06:29 PM

I haven't seen BDs from above angle yet. That looks great! Bowen really nailed this Hulk.I might have to buy the green as well as the grey.

Mastermold
01-19-2007, 08:30 PM
I haven't seen BDs from above angle yet. That looks great! Bowen really nailed this Hulk.I might have to buy the green as well as the grey.

Did you say "might" have to buy the green?! Dude you need the green! :buttrock:

I need mine too but I promised Danny not to pester him anymore about it. :thumbs2: