PDA

View Full Version : Another Capt. America question:

randy bowen
01-17-2007, 02:21 PM
OK- I think I've got the scale thing figured out.

The museum pose version will have more scales than the previous versions, though it will not quite be every scale. The scales will not be thick but rather very subtle and dimensional (not just punched-in scales).

Someone posted a good shot comparing Thor armor and Cap scale mail. It's going to look pretty much like that posted image of Cap (George Perez art?).

Next question for the museum pose:

How do you want the shield? I was going to put it on his right arm (opposite of previous FS). Then I got to thinkin': Maybe it would be cool to strap it to his back?

Thoughts?

Teague
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM

The museum pose version will have more scales than the previous versions, though it will not quite be every scale. The scales will not be thick but rather very subtle and dimensional (not just punched-in scales).

Someone posted a good shot comparing Thor armor and Cap scale mail. It's going to look pretty much like that posted image of Cap (George Perez art?).

How do you want the shield? I was going to put it on his right arm (opposite of previous FS). Then I got to thinkin': Maybe it would be cool to strap it to his back?

Thoughts?

For the museum pose, the shield strapped to Cap's back might be pretty cool. He'd obviously have it strapped to his arm for the action pose, but since it's a static museum pose, it might work. If so, might be cool to have his arms crossed across his chest--the downside is that it would obscure the chest emblem, but it could be a cool visual, and avoid the what-to-do-with-his-hands sort of issue.

I'm less excited about the shield-on-back/fists clenched idea, because if his fists are clenched, why is his shield not at the ready?

I'm a big Cap fan, so I'll be buying both museum and action pose, most likely. It would be cool if they were as visually different as possible.

Grumpy
01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
I would prefer to see the shield from the front either fixed on his arm or even in a position of it about to be thrown.

kirthew
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Would it be possible to use magnets where you could place the shield where you wanted it? Via back or either arm?

Or maybe a Change O Forearm.. ;)

rychehitman
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
good point...

I think putting the shield on the back is going to draw a few comparisons to the bust, but not enough for anyone to pass ont he scilpt itself.

To my knowledge the only 2 FS Cap statues out there that have the shield on his back are the ARH piece, and the 9/11 tribute piece (holding the flag).

I would be satisfied with either, and I think I lean towards a shield on back pose because of how it would display with museum Thor, Vision, and Scarlet Witch, as well as the (hopefully upcomin) museum Iron Man and Hawkeye pieces.

Is there a third option?

Grumpy
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Uhhhh, "museum pose". Please disregard previous request for shield being thrown. Grumpy is old and can't read as well as he could in the past when he looked like Apollo. Now looks more like Buddha!

ant-man
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Simple...Id go with the arm...

Daredevil
01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
dont hide the shield

ant-man
01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Randy? Curious....any cahnce there will be a companion piece to the Museum Pose Cap? Such as Falcon or would be cool to see Bucky in FS treatment?

any thoughts...????:confused:

as for the shield...im flopping...whatever works best..i trust your judgement!!!:thumbs2:

RichBamf
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Wouldn't care as long as it looked good...

JDH
01-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow, now Randy's figured out the polls, he's really giving us good value on the last option in each one...:)

Underdog07
01-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I voted on back bc it would give it a strikingly different pose then the Modern Cap Statue

ant-man
Wow, now Randy's figured out the polls, he's really giving us good value on the last option in each one...:)

just have to say off topic....GREAT Avatar!!! NICE!!!:buttrock:

Alex655321
good point...

I think putting the shield on the back is going to draw a few comparisons to the bust, but not enough for anyone to pass ont he scilpt itself.

To my knowledge the only 2 FS Cap statues out there that have the shield on his back are the ARH piece, and the 9/11 tribute piece (holding the flag).

I would be satisfied with either, and I think I lean towards a shield on back pose because of how it would display with museum Thor, Vision, and Scarlet Witch, as well as the (hopefully upcomin) museum Iron Man and Hawkeye pieces.

Is there a third option?

ARH had 2 different versions with the shield on his back that I know of.
One by Recherche en cours (I think thats his name) with his arms down
the other was Peter Rock with the arms folded.

Equinox24
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
You could have him holding it in front of himself, down low, by the upper edge with both hands. I though someone posted a cover of something like that once. I just wouldn't want it to look like the first Cap statue. You've already done that one. Make this static pose different. I guess I'd like to see the shield without having to turn the statue around.

cougartrace
01-17-2007, 02:39 PM
For the muesum, I would like to see the shield on his back.

teeball
01-17-2007, 02:40 PM
On his back, arms crossed.

moon_knight1971
I picked "Suprise Me!" but I got to thinking that Cap would look tres cool if his shield was implanted in the skull of an robotic enemy like Ultron or Modok. Just a tease on the base like the Hawkeye FS with the fallen foe under mostly debris.....:thumbs2:

Nightcrawler777
On his Back Would be Awesome...

rychehitman
01-17-2007, 02:47 PM
How about on his back, but NOT with clenched fists..

maybe a double "thumbs up":thumbs2: :thumbs2:

randy bowen
01-17-2007, 02:48 PM
I would prefer to see the shield from the front either fixed on his arm or even in a position of it about to be thrown.

The pose itself is already set. Arms down, slightly away from his body.

Mastermold
01-17-2007, 02:50 PM

Good -- no facial obstruction that way. :thumbs2:

Underdog07
How about on his back, but NOT with clenched fists..

maybe a double "thumbs up":thumbs2: :thumbs2:

What do you want Ryche, a special "The Fonz" variant with a jukebox on the side?

batman1180
Shield showing.

randy bowen
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Would it be possible to use magnets where you could place the shield where you wanted it? Via back or either arm?

No not really. When the shield is on Caps back, you'd see the straps over his shoulders. A real set of straps wouldn't work very well.

ant-man
01-17-2007, 02:54 PM
oh...man this is gonna be sweet...any sneeks we can see at this time...to get a better idea of the look?

kirthew
01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
No not really. When the shield is on Caps back, you'd see the straps over his shoulders. A real set of straps wouldn't work very well.

Then I leave the question of where the shield will be to you then... I thought that Magnets would allow the consumer to judge for themselves...

Another option is you do a Variant... Modern Shield displayed on back... Classic Variant Holding Shield... or the other way around...

randy bowen
01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Just a note:

For those of you wanting more action in the pose: There will be an action version as well.

This poll is only for the museum pose version.

Because we've already released a museum version, this edition will be relatively low in comparison to other releases. Too soon to say what that edition will be.

The goal is to release both versions simultaneously, so you can have your choice.

Jesse321
01-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Holding the sheild on his arm and having it showing would be my preference.

yorick
01-17-2007, 02:59 PM
The shield should be on his arm and visible from the front--It's his DEFINING characteristic!!!!!!!!!

fenix v.2.0
01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
:)

phnx75
01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Just a note:

For those of you wanting more action in the pose: There will be an action version as well.

Because we've already released a museum version, this edition will be relatively low in comparison to other releases. Too soon to say what that edition will be.

The goal is to release both versions simultaneously, so you can have your choice.

That's great. Definitely helpful to have both available at the same time.

I still would like to see the shield though. Part of being able to display my FS Statues is to be able to see these characters in their full glory (whether action or museum pose). IMO integral/defining accessories like Thor's Hammer and Captain America's Shield should be viewable from the front, not hidden on the back.

bullethole
01-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm always in favor of options (change-o whatever if possibl)..Its hard to judge without seeing the piece. But I think the shield is the most important part of Cap's costume ....so it should be displayed prominently.

Grumpy
01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
The shield should be on his arm and visible from the front--It's his DEFINING characteristic!!!!!!!!!

When you think about it, the shield should be making its "museum pose" at the same time. Visible is key.

Ghost of Scooterdoom
01-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Just a note:

The goal is to release both versions simultaneously, so you can have your choice.Awesome!

I'll be getting both then.

As for the question, Cap's shield should be on his arm and in the front.

Like this....

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Captain-America---Limited-Edition-Transparency-Matted-Print-C12210100.jpeg

the Hammer
01-17-2007, 03:14 PM
I would prefer the shield showing, and not on his back. No folded arms for me either, thank you. Hands at his side, the shield showing on one of his arms is the way to go for me.

Achiever
01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
The only way you should put the shield on his back is if you're sculpting him on a motorcycle.:buttrock:

Other than that, keep the shield visible. Like Yorick said: It's his defining characteristic.

Relic Reaper
01-17-2007, 03:22 PM

I agree. While the shield strapped to his back is interesting, I really think it would look best if it were strapped to his arm and visible from the front, even in the museum pose.

Teague
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
If the pose is already set, then I vote for having the shield on his arm. I think it could look odd to have his fists clenched, like he was ready for a fight, but still have his shield stowed.

pmpknface
01-17-2007, 04:01 PM

Thoughts?

COOL! THANK YOU!!! And, you're welcome! The idea came from Dana P tho! :buttrock:

http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/cf/11/f2_1_b.JPG

The shield placement is tough. Would it even be possible to place it at his feet? My knee-jerk reaction would be to put it in the front tho.

Ink
01-17-2007, 04:23 PM
on the back is fine with me. I already know what the shield looks like

kaza5555
01-17-2007, 04:36 PM
The shield strapped to his back gets my vote.

The Watcher
01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Please have the shield on his arm. I never liked the shield on his back. It would be like having a statue of Thor with his hammer tucked away in his belt. The shield is Captain America's signature and should be out front where it's most visible.

jimbo5905
01-17-2007, 05:37 PM
How about with the shield on his back....saluting....or is that corny?? I really don't care either way, but I'd like it (museum) to look different enough from the old piece to warrant buying it....

SD RUM
01-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Put the shield on his arm.

pablocruze
01-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Damned straight.

Or maybe just angled a little bit...

pablocruze
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
The only way you should put the shield on his back is if you're sculpting him on a motorcycle.:buttrock:

Other than that, keep the shield visible. Like Yorick said: It's his defining characteristic.

The little wings on his head are ANOTHER defining characteristic...:thumbs2:

Tetragrammaton
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
How about just having the shield as a seperate piece? Work's fine for the Alex Ross Earth X FS.

pablocruze
01-17-2007, 06:07 PM

Too bad...

I was thinking that a statue with Cap posed in the Traditional Uncle Sam "I want you" pose would be uber cool...

http://i13.tinypic.com/33wuujr.png

JavOner
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Strap to the back, funny as that sounds lol. We already have cap with shield in his hand, lets go with something new. Your idea sounds great randy go with it.

Rome
01-17-2007, 08:04 PM
COOL! THANK YOU!!! And, you're welcome! The idea came from Dana P tho! :buttrock:

http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/cf/11/f2_1_b.JPG

The shield placement is tough. Would it even be possible to place it at his feet? My knee-jerk reaction would be to put it in the front tho.

Randy Shame on you. You thought that was Perez? :laugh:

all I know is I'm in serious trouble. I thought I was gonna be able to resist the new pieces since I'm so happy with the originals, but so far I'm not doing very well.
I don't think' I'll be able to resist any Randy sculpted piece:bawling:

My problem is I'm seriously running out of room to put these things.

sons of set
01-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Shield on arm tilted slightly toward the front of the character. Thanks.

Teague
01-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Too bad...

I was thinking that a statue with Cap posed in the Traditional Uncle Sam "I want you" pose would be uber cool...

I suggested an arms-crossed pose, but I like this idea a lot, too. I think it would be great to vary the pose as much as possible from the action version--it would make more people buy both, too, I think. But if it's set, I guess it's set.

ironrope
01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
The shield should be on the left arm if any. Steranko is the only artist I have seen put the shield on the right arm. Hard Hero may have used Steranko as an influence as thier statue has Cap wearing it on his right arm. The shield on back is O.K. but it would cover up part of the costume. I think you should disregard your previous statues and have the shield on the left arm where it should be.

Gianco
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Pretty easy, right arm, no doubt!

ironrope
01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh yeah, before anyone lists all the artists that place Cap's shield on the right arm, I disregard any post Bronze Age depictions of the character.

Meteor Man
01-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Right arm/front of shield showing.

Toy Machine
01-18-2007, 02:23 AM
just a thought...Have the shield on the ground, upright against one of his legs and his arms crossed. The shield painted in metallic color, it give the shield its metal look.

Machine Man
01-18-2007, 03:18 AM
The shield is the major part of Captain America's character. He should be holding it.

toy den
01-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the finsh scupt will excellent and it would be a suprise for all of us where the shield will be at the end...

berenger
01-18-2007, 12:39 PM
strapped on the back would be awsome...but like said, as long as it looks good i will be happy

VaultMan
01-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Museum pose - shield strapped to the back, and maybe cap standing and saluting...?

Action pose shoud definitely have his shield out in front...

hoofs
01-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Shield on right arm and Cap facing straight ahead:buttrock:

whd
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
If the shield is strapped to his back, then he should be on his motorcycle. :)

Teague
01-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Museum pose - shield strapped to the back, and maybe cap standing and saluting...?

Action pose shoud definitely have his shield out in front...

Saluting is another great idea! :thumbs2:

statue-man
01-18-2007, 06:16 PM

Thoughts?

I would rather see the shield on his left arm, this is the way he has carried it 99% of the time. Putting the shield on the right arm, would make it lood more like the Hardhero piece. what about a interchanable shield for the left arm original V shaped shiels and the round shield.

The Fog
01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
The shield on his left arm and a HYDRA mask in his righthand, or not?
Will be waiting patiently for both poses to appear.
I like the first FS of Cap, and wanting an action pose.

wktf
01-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Like most here, I believe the shield should be on Cap's arm and facing front so it's visible. Kind of strange putting it on his right arm (I know you want to do something different than the prior museum pose) as, when he's holding his shield it's normally on his left arm.

Oh, and that picture was drawn by John Buscema and inked by Tom Palmer. It's not a George Perez drawing. Fyi. :)

genesimmons1
01-18-2007, 11:37 PM
I am happy at how your going to be doing the scales.it sounds just right.cant wait to pre order it.I have your cap staue allready,so on the back wouldnt bother me ,but to many people who dont have it are going to want to see it on his arm. I think thats the right way to go .except maybe if it could be proped up on the base some way.

1logan
01-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Sheild in left arm is best to me, on the back was already done on your bust and the diamond select statue.

I only want it on his back if he's on his bike.

claws181
01-19-2007, 03:41 PM
I like the shield strapped to his back idea. It'd match the MB.

Juggernaut
01-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Shield to the front.

Jameshowlett
01-19-2007, 06:25 PM

best idea so far.But if not I toowouldlike to see it from the front,not the back, like the MB, shield in front please,either arm.

Ink
01-19-2007, 06:31 PM
what about the straps?

blue_rogue
01-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I like the strapped to his back idea. Personally, I wouldn't want it on his right arm.

Roguewarrior
01-19-2007, 11:47 PM
The shield is part of Captains persona, it needs to be shown. I not getting it but if I were It would be a personal point of satisifaction for me.

Duane

lovemunkey187
01-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Scanned these from an annual that I got in about 1981/82, Steranko artwork :buttrock: it doesn't get better IMHO.

inner back cover. Bottom left is cracking.
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5704/cap22uo.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Action pose diorama. Shield on his back?
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9043/cap321su.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Action pose?
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8071/cap226ty.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Just my tuppence worth.