PDA

View Full Version : The fs Spiderwoman Statue isn't perfect, BUT...

jimbo5905
01-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Just wanted to say that I was able to get my first "up close and personal" look at the Spiderwoman fs today, and while it isn't perfect, I have to say that the complaints about it on this forum in previous month's don't really seem warranted. Granted, it could've been better (and I'm mostly complaining about the narrow pose which doesn't show off her figure or the wings under her arms very well), but I found the piece I viewed in my lcs to have an excellent paint job, nice interesting base, and overall appealing visual design. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but seeing this today made me even happier that I decided to get this piece. I think it will compliment the original museum pose Spidey fs very well, and believe that Bowen was considering this when approving this design. I'll be happy to see another done in the future (maybe an action pose, or better yet a Spiderwoman II black costume) but I think people are underestimating this piece. I'm curious if anyone who has it already would be interested in posting a pic of it displayed next to the Spidey museum fs??:)

Underdog07
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Jimbo - I've got no complaints about her either and am proudly displaying the piece

Alex655321
01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
I saw her in person at Midtown comics.
Looks a lot better in person.
I may have to pick her up one day.

CompEng1
01-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Love the character and could never deal with this sculpt. It always looks 'off' to me for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on. Like looking at someone with no eyebrows...they still look human at first glance but your brain says "hey, something is off here." Best I can describe it in my drunken state.

stormshadow75x
01-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I got to admit that i like the piece when i saw it up close @ Midtown Comics in NYC... it looks a lot better ... & it's going pretty cheap on Ebay... might have to just pick this one up

genesimmons1
01-18-2007, 11:14 PM
I passed on it also, but just saw it sat. at amok time in long island .now I want it. much better looking in person. nice shiney paint and the base is totaly cool.

sons of set
01-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Pictures of this statue do it no real justice, it is quite a nice effort. The Hydra base really sets it off. Thanks.

risingstar
01-19-2007, 12:41 AM
I think people are generally pickier today because they can afford to be much more selective with their purchases.

Equinox24
01-19-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the character. But I just got the one I won today and I think it looks great. I'm very pleased with it. I liked the photos of it and it still looks better in person. I would always much rather have an action pose, but this is very well done as is.

cougartrace
01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
it's a great piece. There are a lot of picky people on this forum. Now, it's their right to be picky because of the dollars they spend. I just tend not to worry as much about the details of a piece.

Bullseye
01-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Look it, Bowen Designs is known for its production of "classic" renditions of Marvel characters. This version of Spider-woman is based on a nice drawing from the "New Avengers" which was published last year I think. Most Spider-woman fans were expecting her to be based on the original artwork from the 70's much like other characters have been depicted. You can be sure if Bowen started to produce modern versions of Thor, Hulk (Dale Keown), Ironman, Spider-man etc based on new artwork there would be uproar. So why any different on this character.

The people who remember reading the 70's version of SW like myself, jdh and Jesse321 and who are fans of this character would prefer to have a SW in their collection and as far as i know none of us have purchased this rendition. If you have then fair enough but do not expect "Classic Spider-woman fans" to accept this as the piece for their collection.

Ish
01-19-2007, 11:24 AM
looks better in person yes, but still BAD, very disapointed in the way this one came out, i was really looking foward to it. :(

ant-man
01-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Look it, Bowen Designs is known for its production of "classic" renditions of Marvel characters. This version of Spider-woman is based on a nice drawing from the "New Avengers" which was published last year I think. Most Spider-woman fans were expecting her to be based on the original artwork from the 70's much like other characters have been depicted. You can be sure if Bowen started to produce modern versions of Thor, Hulk (Dale Keown), Ironman, Spider-man etc based on new artwork there would be uproar. So why any different on this character.

The people who remember reading the 70's version of SW like myself, jdh and Jesse321 and who are fans of this character would prefer to have a SW in their collection and as far as i know none of us have purchased this rendition. If you have then fair enough but do not expect "Classic Spider-woman fans" to accept this as the piece for their collection.

...i must agree as well...i was hoping for the 70's version or atleast a better action pose...i passed on this one...and its ashame i really was excited to see this chararcter get the FS treatment...im holding out for the 2nd version that might get done by Randy, hopefully it will be more to my liking. Look forward to seeing more of John Cleary's version of SW....:thumbs2:

bat_collector
01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
The paint job is great. But the sculpt itself still has a lot to be desired. Better in person, yes, but the pose is still ackward, the high heels laughable. The character looks stiff.

Its just off. I guess I'm spoiled since almost all of my female sculpts have been sculpted by Clay Moore.

I may get this if I can get it cheap on ebay (like scarlett witch) but both are just ok statues, nothing great.

Sniper
01-19-2007, 11:29 AM
still would not buy her, I'll wait for an action pose

Primal
01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Most Spider-woman fans were expecting her to be based on the original artwork from the 70's much like other characters have been depicted.

Get the mb then. :eplus2:

Bullseye
01-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Get the mb then. :eplus2:

Take a hike:stick: :eplus2:

SD RUM
01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I like the Spider Woman character but I wasn't sure if I was going to pick up the FS just yet. I had to see it in person and I was impressed by the way it came out. I might pick it up in the future but there are others I would get first before Spider Woman.

protector2814
01-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Held-off for a little while on this one, but recently picked her up on ebay for $115 w/ shipping. I was glad I did. Bowen did a great job w/ her. I especially like her hair...better than any female hair he's done in the past. Very natural and falls in a believable manner. Her face is one of the better attempts and the female face in a while. I'm a fan of Moore's faces, but Bowen can struggle (Scarlett Wich, Sue Storm) with his. The candy-apple costume threw me off when I saw her on-line, but she looks fantastic positioned w/ Bowen's other metallic reds - I have her with my classic Iron Man and they look great together. Finally, I love her backside...very realistic, very female, almost chunky..a hero who occasionally enjoys a cookie. Pick her up if your on the fence.

bat_collector
01-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Held-off for a little while on this one, but recently picked her up on ebay for $115 w/ shipping. I was glad I did. Bowen did a great job w/ her. I especially like her hair...better than any female hair he's done in the past. Very natural and falls in a believable manner. Her face is one of the better attempts and the female face in a while. I'm a fan of Moore's faces, but Bowen can struggle (Scarlett Wich, Sue Storm) with his. The candy-apple costume threw me off when I saw her on-line, but she looks fantastic positioned w/ Bowen's other metallic reds - I have her with my classic Iron Man and they look great together. Finally, I love her backside...very realistic, very female, almost chunky..a hero who occasionally enjoys a cookie. Pick her up if your on the fence.

You do know bowen didn't sculpt either spiderwoman or Scarlett Witch, right?:confused:

Spawn75
01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I have MB maybe if they make an action pose i will buy...

protector2814
01-19-2007, 01:48 PM
sorry, I meant BD.

acrylic paint
01-19-2007, 02:59 PM
This statue may be the sleeper of the year. I too was critical of the artistic direction on this piece, but the execution is superb. IMO, this now is the best female sculpt by Bowen Designs, and that includes the Phoenix, Black Widow, etc.

risingstar
01-19-2007, 03:18 PM
This statue may be the sleeper of the year. I too was critical of the artistic direction on this piece, but the execution is superb. IMO, this now is the best female sculpt by Bowen Designs, and that includes the Phoenix, Black Widow, etc.

I wonder how many people would agree that the Spiderwoman is a better sculpture than the Phoenix. That would make for an interesting poll.

:)

bat_collector
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I wonder how many people would agree that the Spiderwoman is a better sculpture than the Phoenix. That would make for an interesting poll.

Not me, and honestly she hulk is gonna blow this one away.

cougartrace
01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
everyone has their own opinions. Nobody is right or wrong.

The General
01-19-2007, 03:51 PM
The paint job is great. But the sculpt itself still has a lot to be desired. Better in person, yes, but the pose is still ackward, the high heels laughable. The character looks stiff.

Its just off. I guess I'm spoiled since almost all of my female sculpts have been sculpted by Clay Moore.

I may get this if I can get it cheap on ebay (like scarlett witch) but both are just ok statues, nothing great.

Bro were agreeing a little too much lately. I totally agree. It does look slightly better in person but only the paint job. Everything else looks just as bad IMO. Not to be mean but I wouldn’t buy this one on ebay for $40 with free shipping.

The General
01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
everyone has their own opinions. Nobody is right or wrong.

Also true.

jimbo5905
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Never really thought about this, but looking at my collection it does appear that Bowen has struggled to create a great female piece....I'd have to say that I think that Phoenix comes the closest, but I have high hopes for the She-Hulk....unfortunately, I already have problems with the two designs...I like the "head and hairstyle" on the FF version, but the body, pose, and base on the purple version.....decisions decisions.....I started this thread only to debate that I felt some of the criticisms of the Spiderwoman piece before it was released seem unwarranted now that I've seen it, and was trying to convert some of you into possibly acquiring it...

JDH
01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Phoenix is the best female comic character sculpt I have ever seen, from any company, by any sculptor. It's perfect, and not gratuitous as so many female statues can be. I still hope we get to see Mr Newman's take on Spider-Woman down the line, as I've wanted him to sculpt her ever since I got Phoenix. I'm a big fan of Randy's Black Widow too, it's got a great cartoony flavour to it - definitely his best female sculpt.

Jameshowlett
01-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Just wanted to say that I was able to get my first "up close and personal" look at the Spiderwoman fs today, and while it isn't perfect, I have to say that the complaints about it on this forum in previous month's don't really seem warranted. Granted, it could've been better (and I'm mostly complaining about the narrow pose which doesn't show off her figure or the wings under her arms very well), but I found the piece I viewed in my lcs to have an excellent paint job, nice interesting base, and overall appealing visual design. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but seeing this today made me even happier that I decided to get this piece. I think it will compliment the original museum pose Spidey fs very well, and believe that Bowen was considering this when approving this design. I'll be happy to see another done in the future (maybe an action pose, or better yet a Spiderwoman II black costume) but I think people are underestimating this piece. I'm curious if anyone who has it already would be interested in posting a pic of it displayed next to the Spidey museum fs??:)

I'll take a pic of her for you with my Spidey Symbiote FS ! I agree and I posted something similiar after mine arrived.
I think the complaints are totally exaggeratted.I guess you could take her left arm and move it closer in to make it appear less stiff, but I absolutley love this Spider-woman .Its nothing less than a gorgeous sculpt with great paints and a very cool base design. Not to mention the fact that Barsom did an excellant job on her anatomy and her hair. Does anyoen else think it's pretty cool looking the way he has a section of her hair seperated so you can actually seepart of her head thru the hair?
Needless to say, I'll make sure I allways look at the statue in person before I make a decision.

jimbo5905
01-19-2007, 06:06 PM
I'll take a pic of her for you with my Spidey Symbiote FS ! I agree and I posted something similiar after mine arrived.
I think the complaints are totally exaggeratted.I guess you could take her left arm and move it closer in to make it appear less stiff, but I absolutley love this Spider-woman .Its nothing les than a gorgeous sculpt with great painst and a very cool base design. Not to mention the fact that Barsom did an excellant job on her anatomy.
Needless to say, I'll make saure I allwasy look at the statue in person before I make a decision.

Thanks, man!! I would really like to see the two pieces displayed together...:thumbs2:

Jameshowlett
01-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Everybody was raving at the pic Randy used to design this piece if I remember correctly.No one was saying they didn't think it was appropriatte until the preview shot appeared and then comments were made about her stiffness.
As for the classic Spider-Woman fans, no offense, but just because 3 guys on a forum don't like it doesn't mean that all classic spider-Woman fans feel the same.Surely there are thousands of classic SpiderWoman fans that can decide that for themselves.:thumbs2:

Jameshowlett
01-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks, man!! I would really like to see the two pieces displayed together...:thumbs2:

You got it! bad news though is I'll have to post them Monday though cause I don't have the software at home.

Jameshowlett
01-19-2007, 06:20 PM

another has seen the light!!I'd like to hear soemone that actually owns it say they don't like it.Doubt we'll find any.

risingstar
01-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Not me, and honestly she hulk is gonna blow this one away.

I'd like to see the final product too. It's been a while since we've seen an update on this statue.

sons of set
01-19-2007, 06:52 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I have always thought that the Invisible Woman statue was nicely done and one of the better female sculpts. Very feminine, excellent paint apps, direct in power display and bears an incredible likeness to the character.

The somewhat fearful look does not bother me at all. To me it gives a sense as if Sue is looking off to an unknown. Fits the FF explorer theme thingy. Yeah that's it. Thanks.

bat_collector
01-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I think the storm is a VERY under-rated statue as well. Mark Newman, to me, has sculpted some great full-sizes.

Which is why I dont' understand why I don't like his polaris.

bat_collector
01-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Phoenix is the best female comic character sculpt I have ever seen, from any company, by any sculptor. It's perfect, and not gratuitous as so many female statues can be.
Nothing is better, IMO, than this one . . .

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/misha444/Kabuki/IMG_0546.jpg

marvelboi77
01-20-2007, 12:07 AM

I like it.:)

bat_collector
01-20-2007, 12:10 AM
I like it.:)

but do you love it?

acrylic paint
01-20-2007, 01:19 AM
but do you love it?

I certainly do.

Black Widow was nice; the sleek figure, and the detailed creases in her jumpsuit were beautifully done by Randy, but the face? The Phoenixes are artistic genius in design, where the whole ensemble supercedes the figure study within - a triumph for the art director (Randy?) and the sculptor (Mark Newman). Scarlet Witch left me, and most, cold. Invisible Woman is a great figure study, but the timidity of the pose has always bugged me. Storm had the corniest base and the ugliest hands.

But Spider-Woman looks like what a female comic book hero should be - bold, strong, busty, supremely confident and very feminine. It's not perfect - the heel of the forward leg would, in a true figure, be naturally higher than the heel of the lagging leg. And the swagger of her arms clashes with the seemingly baby steps she is taking. But it is very good, and the quality is outstanding. Full marks to Manashian and BD.

The pose works far better than I thought it would, and it beats a "museum" pose handily.

marvelboi77
01-20-2007, 02:41 AM
but do you love it?

I like the mini bust of Spider-Woman the best followed by the Phoenix statue. Out of the 8 female statues that are out Spider-Woman is my 3rd favorite behind Phoenix and Storm. But if I could only keep one because she is my favorite character I would keep Spider-Woman.

bat_collector
01-20-2007, 11:52 AM
I like the mini bust of Spider-Woman the best followed by the Phoenix statue. Out of the 8 female statues that are out Spider-Woman is my 3rd favorite behind Phoenix and Storm. But if I could only keep one because she is my favorite character I would keep Spider-Woman.

thanks marvelboi

acrylic, I respect your opinion and am happy you are so happy with it. I see this and scarlett witch as good statues, but that's about it. I'd get either if I got a good deal on them.

JDH
01-20-2007, 12:30 PM
another has seen the light!!I'd like to hear soemone that actually owns it say they don't like it.Doubt we'll find any.

Why would someone own it when they don't like it?

Jesse321
01-20-2007, 12:33 PM
I saw it at my LCS about a couple of weeks ago, and while I do agree that the paint job helps the statue a great deal, I'm sorry but it's still a lousy representation of the character as I've known her from the books.

If the action pose Spider-Woman statue never materializes from BD's, I'll have my own made eventually.

bat_collector
01-20-2007, 12:36 PM

OMG, good point.

Looks guys, some are gonna love this piece, some are gonna hate it, and some are gonna be indifferent. That's statues, folks.

JDH
01-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Th-th-th-th-th-th-That's statues, folks.

I think we've just witnessed the birth of a bold new catchphrase for our times.:)

bat_collector
01-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I think we've just witnessed the birth of a bold new catchphrase for our times.:)

You've been on a roll lately, jdh. :thumbs2:

acrylic paint
01-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Probably, because they are a completist.

Iacon13
01-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Only complaint I had was the price. $175 for this piece is to high but since it is now sold out I guess from a sales point it was not to high.

Jameshowlett
01-22-2007, 04:24 PM

I'd thought these would be better but at least I tried!:

http://i10.tinypic.com/40mn2ao.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2nsx2qu.jpg
After really looking at this piece I guess I can see why peopel feel the arm should have come in more but its still sweet.

http://i13.tinypic.com/3yqo4rn.jpg

Jameshowlett
01-22-2007, 04:25 PM
http://i11.tinypic.com/2rrrqxz.jpg

Jameshowlett
01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
I certainly do.

Black Widow was nice; the sleek figure, and the detailed creases in her jumpsuit were beautifully done by Randy, but the face? The Phoenixes are artistic genius in design, where the whole ensemble supercedes the figure study within - a triumph for the art director (Randy?) and the sculptor (Mark Newman). Scarlet Witch left me, and most, cold. Invisible Woman is a great figure study, but the timidity of the pose has always bugged me. Storm had the corniest base and the ugliest hands.

But Spider-Woman looks like what a female comic book hero should be - bold, strong, busty, supremely confident and very feminine. It's not perfect - the heel of the forward leg would, in a true figure, be naturally higher than the heel of the lagging leg. And the swagger of her arms clashes with the seemingly baby steps she is taking. But it is very good, and the quality is outstanding. Full marks to Manashian and BD.

The pose works far better than I thought it would, and it beats a "museum" pose handily.

WOW, very well put.I have to agree with you on just about every point.

Jameshowlett
01-22-2007, 05:25 PM

LOL Yeah I see what you mean, but I've bought pieces ( Vision) that I liked when I saw the preview, and then gotten it home only to be let down. I sold Vision since to a member on here but thats what I meant by that.Another example would be Attuma. Liked the pic but when I got it home it didn't measure up. am selling that one too.

bat_collector
01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Another example would be Attuma. Liked the pic but when I got it home it didn't measure up. am selling that one too.
I gotta say I did the same thing.:)

jsnchrry
03-02-2009, 06:38 AM
http://i11.tinypic.com/2rrrqxz.jpg

Wow the spider-woman FS really is bosomy