PDA

View Full Version : New Collector, some advice please!

fishbonex
01-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi, I'm new to collecting Bowen Busts. I've always digged them at my LCS, but a few months ago I finally bought the Taskmaster bust and that was it... I was hooked! I went on to acquire (for one reason or another) Union Jack, Giant-Man, Destroyer, Wolverine (original appearance), Hawkeye, Super Skrull, Black Panther (classic), Iron Man (original Appearance) and I'm waiting to recieve Daredevil (original costume).

I've only scratched the surface, I know. Some are way out of my range right now, like the Ant-Man and Man-Thing busts (2 of my faves too, unfortunately!). The 3 busts that i MUST have next are Vindicator, Sunfire and Ultron.

So I was curious what other collectors think are the "key" busts out there right now that should be grabbed, whether it's for top notch quality, favorite characters or rareity.

lord odin
01-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Chrome Silver Surfer
Modern Iron man
Terrax

The Watcher
01-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Battle Armor Thor (BAT) and Beta Ray Bill (BRB) are excellent and will look great with the upcoming Thor mini bust.

It looks like you're more into the classic characters so both of the Iron Fist busts (red & green) will pair well with the Iron fist FS statues (red & green) as well as the Luke Cage/Power Man mini bust and the the upcoming Luke Cage FS statue.

malkii
01-21-2007, 10:43 AM
You just need to purchase the charcters that you like and would enjoy adding to your collection, everyones opinion is going to be biased based and there favorite's

Some of my favorites are
Dr. Doom
Angel (first bust I ever bought and still my favorite)
Annilihus (this is just an awesome bust all the way around)
Vindicator
Sasquatch
Lockjaw (love that dog)

Tony Coca
01-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Dont start.Run away from this disease as fast as you can.

Run.Now!!

rychehitman
01-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Welcome Fishbonex!

Give these a try:

Phase I
Red Skull
Galactus
Captain America
Loki
Black Bolt

Phase II
Battle Armor Thor
Beta Ray Bill
Black Panther Classic
Hobgoblin
Sandman
Nova

Phase III
Destroyer
Superskrull
Terrax
Annihilus
Gold Chrome Frankie Raye Nova

Sam Wilson
01-21-2007, 10:47 AM
You just need to purchase the charcters that you like and would enjoy adding to your collection, everyones opinion is going to be biased based and there favorite's

pretty much, buy what you want, that's the best piece of advice anyone can give...

blue_rogue
01-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I have a pretty small collection, which I'm going to thin out into just Avengers and Thor characters. Some of my favorites that I own are:

Beast
Tigra
Vision
Black Panther (classic)
BA Thor
Beta Ray Bill

Oops, I forgot about the Watcher! I like this bust so much, I'm going to keep him for my Thor display. Even though he's a FF guy.

SquiderM3
01-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Run.Now!!

This is the best advice you can receive...run hard and don't look back:) !

HalJordanFan
01-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Only buy what YOU like or else the hobby becomes old and no fun. I only collect FS stuff and a few props like Caps shield and Thor's Hammer. MB's are really nice just not my thing except the SS chrome.

HULK SMASH
01-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi, I'm new to collecting Bowen Busts. I've always digged them at my LCS, but a few months ago I finally bought the Taskmaster bust and that was it... I was hooked! I went on to acquire (for one reason or another) Union Jack, Giant-Man, Destroyer, Wolverine (original appearance), Hawkeye, Super Skrull, Black Panther (classic), Iron Man (original Appearance) and I'm waiting to recieve Daredevil (original costume).

I've only scratched the surface, I know. Some are way out of my range right now, like the Ant-Man and Man-Thing busts (2 of my faves too, unfortunately!). The 3 busts that i MUST have next are Vindicator, Sunfire and Ultron.

So I was curious what other collectors think are the "key" busts out there right now that should be grabbed, whether it's for top notch quality, favorite characters or rareity.

Never pay retail for any thing new unless you have to.

fishbonex
01-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Battle Armor Thor (BAT) and Beta Ray Bill (BRB) are excellent and will look great with the upcoming Thor mini bust.

It looks like you're more into the classic characters so both of the Iron Fist busts (red & green) will pair well with the Iron fist FS statues (red & green) as well as the Luke Cage/Power Man mini bust and the the upcoming Luke Cage FS statue.

Yes, absolutely. I love the classic characters and their less-remembered, original costumes. A-listers in obscure costumes and B-D list characters are what I like. I could go on forever without buying a Venom bust, but would buy a Spiderman Black bust in a heartbeat (like on the Bowen sneak peak page).

I DO want Iron Fist, both red and green, which would look great next to a PowerMan bust. And I DO have a soft spot for Beta Ray, funny you mention that one, as it's hi on my "next" list as well.

fishbonex
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
This is the best advice you can receive...run hard and don't look back:) !

Ha, Ya know, this is what actually kept me from buying them in the first place! I knew once I was "in", I was in deep. So I resisted buying for SO long... but that Taskmaster kept staring at me every time I walked in.. and I bought it thinking that would be it... then I bought Hawkeye.. and then...

rilynil
01-21-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't have many Bowen busts, but if you like the Vision at all, you'll love the Vision bust. And you can find it for a bargain without a lot of effort. :)

rychehitman
01-21-2007, 11:33 AM

POW!

Now THAT is a gem!

Words to live by!:buttrock:

JLM
01-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Run.Now!!

:laugh::laugh:

Seriously, he's right. Get out while you still can.

fishbonex
01-21-2007, 11:46 AM

I get 25% off retail at my LCS, otherwise I buy from eBay. That Deredevil is the only one I ordered which I did at the spur of the moment while joining the club (so I would have access to gems like the Chrome Ultron one day).

On that note, I 've seen soem auctions for Bowens that have yet to ship, like Classic Wasp and Havok (just shipped). REAL CHEAP, I mean. Does anybody have info on these, are they legit? How can a person sell a statue for $20 that sells for $50?

Daredevil
01-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I get 25% off retail at my LCS, otherwise I buy from eBay. That Deredevil is the only one I ordered which I did at the spur of the moment while joining the club (so I would have access to gems like the Chrome Ultron one day).

On that note, I 've seen soem auctions for Bowens that have yet to ship, like Classic Wasp and Havok (just shipped). REAL CHEAP, I mean. Does anybody have info on these, are they legit? How can a person sell a statue for $20 that sells for $50?

I would try to avoid preorders on Ebay because you never know if the seller is going to ship the item to you when it comes out months later. It is not worth the hassle and the possibility of being ripped off to save $10-20

Spawn75
01-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Buy what u like....
but one of these that u must have i silver surfer chrome...

badhulk
01-21-2007, 05:35 PM
run while you still have some money

genesimmons1
01-21-2007, 06:12 PM
never pay retail.wait,maybe you better just run.

SD RUM
01-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Just buy the characters you really like first. I recommend becoming a Bowen Club member because you get 20% off your purchase from their website. Look for deals on ebay or your local LCS. I have many favorites but for FS pieces- try to get a Juggernaut or the Hulk. MB's- I really like villains so I recommend Terrax, Omega Red, Destroyer and Abomination.

Alex655321
01-21-2007, 06:29 PM
I would try to avoid preorders on Ebay because you never know if the seller is going to ship the item to you when it comes out months later. It is not worth the hassle and the possibility of being ripped off to save $10-20

Good advice:thumbs2:
A lot cheaper, but not worth the ulcer it will give you:(

rychehitman
01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
it just dawned on me....

are you married? I would have given a WHOLE other answer if you are married!

Storm Lover
01-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Where did you see or hear about the Luke Cage FS???:confused:

The Fog
01-21-2007, 11:40 PM
STOP, don't do it, I have every minibust and just about all the FS's, the boxes alone are a Nightmare, then dusting, I wish you luck, if you get in deep forget about anything else you ever wanted.
If I could I'd sell them all, but who's going to buy almost THREE HUNDRED pieces, at one time.

The Watcher
01-22-2007, 03:49 AM
Where did you see or hear about the Luke Cage FS???:confused:

I seem to remember it being discussed in a previous thread.

The Watcher
01-22-2007, 03:59 AM
Here it is:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?p=858997&highlight=Luke+Cage#post858997

Randy,

Any chance that you could answer the following questions from fans regarding the Iron Fist FS?

1. Are there plans for a Red Costume version? If so, how will it be offered?

2. Will there be a flaming fist effect? If so, will it be a separate attachment?

3. Is the plan to still include two bases (one being the base shown, while the other being the flat round disk with the winged dragon symbol?

4. Any plans for a Luke Cage FS?

Thanks!

1. Yes. It will be a BD site exclusive.

2. Yes. No.

3. There will be two base options included.

4. Yes, at some point.