PDA

View Full Version : Got my BD Hulk today -- quick review

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 04:04 AM
The two BD Hulks I ordered from Danny arrived today -- thanks Danny! :buttrock: (If you're wondering why I bought two, one of these is going to my work display, the other to the closet as a backup in case the cleaning ladies damage the first as has happened on rare occasions).

Anyway, here's my quick review:

What's great about this piece?

The sculpt! The face, the body sculpting, it all kicks serious arse! For whatever reason, none of the numerous forum pictures convey the true detail of this piece. Maybe because of lighting issues, who knows. The face sculpt, the wrinkles in the nose, the squinting eyes, the square jaw and cheek bones, the teeth (yes the teeth look damn good!), all of it is a very cool blend of 70's Hulk artists just like Randy said it would be. And the massive arms, wide back and powerful stance of the body sculpt are simply awesome! I'm very pleased he went with such an aggressive, powerful pose with this piece.

What's not so great?

Nothing really, but I have to come up with something right?

There are a few minor things. The production paint job, for one, looks good from a few feet away but closer inspection will reveal some "coloring outside the lines" here and there. It's no different than the paint on any other BD piece but I'm always irritated whenever I find any paint slop on my pieces.

I was also personally disappointed the piece is hollow. I know it's hollow for two reasons: first, it feels a little light to me, but the real proof is one of my statues has a little piece of loose resin that rattled around inside when I took him out of the box. Most of you probably won't care a lick about that but I hoped this piece would be solid and as weighty as it looks. It isn't. After getting the SS Hulk last week I don't suppose any statue I buy from now on will ever truly feel "heavy" but even so this doesn't feel any heavier than the Shifflet Hulk and yet its a much larger sculpt. Anyway, as I said, minor stuff here folks.

So how does this Hulk compare to the SS Hulk?

Everyone's going to compare any new Hulk sculpt to Andy's SS PF Hulk from now until eternity so I figured I should give you my two cents worth too. I've got both on my desk staring at me at the moment. The most striking feature about the BD Hulk in comparison to the SS is he looks pissed! Where Andy's SS Hulk looks angry, Randy's looks berserk! It's not as realistic or detailed a sculpt as Andy's SS Hulk, but as I'm looking at them both side-by-side that doesn't hurt its presentation as much as I thought it would. The attitude and energy of the sculpt, coupled with comic-accurate charm, are really what make it work so well. Randy called it his "classic" Hulk and I think that fits. Before I owned either of these Hulks I had said just based on the pictures that I was glad I didn't have to choose between them, knowing I was getting both. Now that I have them both my opinion hasn't changed. Each has something unique that the other doesn't, and both appeal to me for what they each bring to the table. I've got to say it's a great time to be both a Hulk fan and a statue collector!

Cheers!!!

riderV3
01-24-2007, 04:17 AM
Look at you!:thumbs2:
Someone is in the mood of writing!

HoldyourfireAl
01-24-2007, 04:20 AM
Congrats! What #?

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Thanks, rider!

BGA, I have #1305 and 1306.

Scottsdale Saint
01-24-2007, 04:29 AM
i don't know, this piece seemed pretty darned weighty to me. as i remarked upon receiving mine, if it had been any heavier the lid to the box, would've ripped clean off. as it was the side of the box ripped just because i pulled it out of the shipping container wrong.

riderV3
01-24-2007, 04:49 AM
i don't know, this piece seemed pretty darned weighty to me. as i remarked upon receiving mine, if it had been any heavier the lid to the box, would've ripped clean off. as it was the side of the box ripped just because i pulled it out of the shipping container wrong.

It ain't heavy enough for a man with 24" arm span(like me)!:D

And like Mastermold, I believe this is a hollow cast, just by tapping on the statue and the weight.

And sometimes you can tell if a statue is hollow just by touching it. Resin is just like metal, they stay cold because of their physical property:the speed of heat transmission.

Thickness is one key factor that will effect how much heat a material is going to absorb before it balance its surface temperature with your body temperature.

It takes more energy to warm up a thicker material, so a solid cast statue would feel pretty cold and will stay cool for a while before you can warm it up.

Oppositely, a hollow statue has comparatively thin outer shell, the energy it takes to heat up the surface is much lesser than the energy requirement for a think, solid cast. That's why you can't feel much chill since the thin shell doesn't require much energy to balance the temperature.

So based on my theory, that's why you can hardly feel any chill on Rhino statue, cuz Rhino is just a big empty shell. Oppositely, go feel the SS Hulk body and you can feel the chill stays for a while before it's gone.
Hope you guys find it useful.:)

Scottsdale Saint
01-24-2007, 05:02 AM
i guess i could've been more clear...i didn't mean to contradict or say that it wasn't hollow. i just meant that the Hulk statue is heavy enough without making it solid. i think the thing weighed seventeen pounds as it was.

riderV3
01-24-2007, 05:06 AM
i guess i could've been more clear...i didn't mean to contradict or say that it wasn't hollow. i just meant that the Hulk statue is heavy enough without making it solid. i think the thing weighed seventeen pounds as it was.

I got your point! I just found it to be a good time for me to express my little theory, you're fine, young man!:)

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 05:07 AM
It's definitely hollow. If it was solid there'd be no rattle inside.

riderV3
01-24-2007, 05:12 AM
It's definitely hollow. If it was solid there'd be no rattle inside.

I assume hollow is not the point of this thread...:D
So you finally admit the true reason for buying two Hulks, eh? At lease I don't have that extra dough but you really are a maniac!:laugh:

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 05:15 AM
I assume hollow is not the point of this thread...:D
So you finally admit the true reason for buying two Hulks, eh? At lease I don't have that extra dough but you really are a maniac!:laugh:

Yeah, well it's a lot cheaper to buy a replacement now than it will be a few years from now. So there is method to my madness!

phnx75
01-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Definitely hollow, but I'm happy its not any heavier. If it were then it would eventually go crashing through one of my glass shelves and that would not be good. :) Definitely happy with the sculpt overall.

JDH
01-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Mastermold, would you mind if I copy your review to the Statue Reviews section, seeing as though you did a thorough job on it?

JadeGiant
01-24-2007, 10:14 AM
good stuff MM - nice review.

One question: does Hulk have a belly button?

and of course ... pics please

Colossus
01-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah I got mine yesterday and I must say that overall I am pretty impressed it is a very nice sculpt! Very different from SS pf which is also a very nice sculpt to me this is more of the hulk I remember (being 34) I remember the 70-80s hulk more and he seems pi$$ed in this pose! I set him up against Juggy I just wonder who is gonna win that battle.

Grumpy
01-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I just got mine on Monday after a six hour round trip drive and couldn't wait to open him up. My 21 month old granddaughter, Harley, happened to be present and she was totally impressed, as was I. Now Harley does her "Hulk Girl" impression all over the house. Ah, but I digress. The statue is absolutely freakin' awesome! My favorite statue of 2007 . . . well, so far in 2007!

hulkpitt
01-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I just got mine on Monday after a six hour round trip drive and couldn't wait to open him up. My 21 month old granddaughter, Harley, happened to be present and she was totally impressed, as was I. Now Harley does her "Hulk Girl" impression all over the house. Ah, but I digress. The statue is absolutely freakin' awesome! My favorite statue of 2007 . . . well, so far in 2007!

That’s really cool, I love it when the kids dig the statues (just don’t let them touch because "KID SMASH").

MM nice to get some details on this one, I am hulkless over here on my Island I am waiting for the PF (x2 green) as well as 2 BD hulks Grey and Green and 2 Keown kits. :bawling:

Alex655321
01-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Nice Review MM:thumbs2:

Ish
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, rider!

BGA, I have #1305 and 1306.

:laugh: :laugh:

good review MM, congrats i'll e picking this baby up later on, can't have too many hulks. :D

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey Mastermold, would you mind if I copy your review to the Statue Reviews section, seeing as though you did a thorough job on it?

Thanks for kind word -- but I cut and pasted it there already after already posting this here, figuring that was perhaps a more appropriate place for it.

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 02:00 PM
good stuff MM - nice review.

One question: does Hulk have a belly button?

and of course ... pics please

Yes he's got a subtle belly button. :laugh:

So more pics? I figured there were so many I'd just write something, but I could always take some more later when I get home.:thumbs2:

deaconbluezzz
01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
I just got mine too! Pics don't do it justice...due mainly to flashes highlighting stuff that doesn't get highlighted in normal room lighting, and washing out subtle touches that you can only see in person.

I really liked my old Shiflett statue, but I don't regret selling it to another happy collector to purchase this one. Great job Randy!

...now, about that Ant-Man...

JDH
01-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for kind word -- but I cut and pasted it there already after already posting this here, figuring that was perhaps a more appropriate place for it.

Even better! I should have checked.:)

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Even better! I should have checked.:)

No worries. :thumbs2:

Das Brutah
01-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Does anyone have an good side by side pics of the new FS Hulk next to the older Bowen FS Hulk? I have looked through the threads, but did not see any good comparison pics. Maybe I missed this.

Thanks

Jameshowlett
01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I got your point! I just found it to be a good time for me to express my little theory, you're fine, young man!:)

24" inch arm span ?LOL My arms are 18 inch's around the bicep and tricep, is that what you meant?
P.s. Sorry my alpha male came out for a second.LOL
Oh yeah, 17 lbs is pretty heavy.
Master Mold-Great review!
Personally, the SS Hulk -I don't know, it just doesn't do anything for me.I see that its nice and huge, but as pose's go and his weird looking face(yes i saw the pic it was based on) just dosn't get me xcited.

But BDs -I like that Hulk-looks like he's about to put the smack down on a certain rocky orange guy!:thumbs2:

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Master Mold-Great review!
Personally, the SS Hulk -I don't know, it just doesn't do anything for me.I see that its nice and huge, but as pose's go and his weird looking face(yes i saw the pic it was based on) just dosn't get me xcited.

But BDs -I like that Hulk-looks like he's about to put the smack down on a certain rocky orange guy!

Well, I think both statues are great for the reasons I explained above. Here's some of my pics of the SS Hulk. The BD pics aren't mine but I'll post them here anyway for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/BDHulkside2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0302.jpg

http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/13078/hulk02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/SSHulk123.jpg

SD RUM
01-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Congrats- I have this statue too. I love it....Hulk Smash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

martijn
01-24-2007, 06:35 PM
The two BD Hulks I ordered from Danny arrived today -- thanks Danny! :buttrock: (If you're wondering why I bought two, one of these is going to my work display, the other to the closet as a backup in case the cleaning ladies damage the first as has happened on rare occasions).

Anyway, here's my quick review:

What's great about this piece?

The sculpt! The face, the body sculpting, it all kicks serious arse! For whatever reason, none of the numerous forum pictures convey the true detail of this piece. Maybe because of lighting issues, who knows. The face sculpt, the wrinkles in the nose, the squinting eyes, the square jaw and cheek bones, the teeth (yes the teeth look damn good!), all of it is a very cool blend of 70's Hulk artists just like Randy said it would be. And the massive arms, wide back and powerful stance of the body sculpt are simply awesome! I'm very pleased he went with such an aggressive, powerful pose with this piece.

What's not so great?

Nothing really, but I have to come up with something right?

There are a few minor things. The production paint job, for one, looks good from a few feet away but closer inspection will reveal some "coloring outside the lines" here and there. It's no different than the paint on any other BD piece but I'm always irritated whenever I find any paint slop on my pieces.

I was also personally disappointed the piece is hollow. I know it's hollow for two reasons: first, it feels a little light to me, but the real proof is one of my statues has a little piece of loose resin that rattled around inside when I took him out of the box. Most of you probably won't care a lick about that but I hoped this piece would be solid and as weighty as it looks. It isn't. After getting the SS Hulk last week I don't suppose any statue I buy from now on will ever truly feel "heavy" but even so this doesn't feel any heavier than the Shifflet Hulk and yet its a much larger sculpt. Anyway, as I said, minor stuff here folks.

So how does this Hulk compare to the SS Hulk?

Everyone's going to compare any new Hulk sculpt to Andy's SS PF Hulk from now until eternity so I figured I should give you my two cents worth too. I've got both on my desk staring at me at the moment. The most striking feature about the BD Hulk in comparison to the SS is he looks pissed! Where Andy's SS Hulk looks angry, Randy's looks berserk! It's not as realistic or detailed a sculpt as Andy's SS Hulk, but as I'm looking at them both side-by-side that doesn't hurt its presentation as much as I thought it would. The attitude and energy of the sculpt, coupled with comic-accurate charm, are really what make it work so well. Randy called it his "classic" Hulk and I think that fits. Before I owned either of these Hulks I had said just based on the pictures that I was glad I didn't have to choose between them, knowing I was getting both. Now that I have them both my opinion hasn't changed. Each has something unique that the other doesn't, and both appeal to me for what they each bring to the table. I've got to say it's a great time to be both a Hulk fan and a statue collector!

Cheers!!!

Nice.
I can't wait to get mine.
my cousin ordered one from bowen.
But he still has to mail it to me(holland)
Maybe two weeks(i hope)

Rome
01-24-2007, 07:03 PM
MM I must say I totally agree with your review. Nice job.
I was one of the people concerned about the "teeth" but I agree that in person his teeth don't look bad.
For some reason pictures just don't do this piece justice. The only pics I saw that did were taken by (I forget who) but they were really really nice pics which came closest to capturing just how awesome this Hulk is.
As for the SS Hulk, you are totally right, 2 different Hulks, both great.

deaconbluezzz
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
MM I must say I totally agree with your review. Nice job.
I was one of the people concerned about the "teeth" but I agree that in person his teeth don't look bad.

No they don't, and it helps that they aren't the "sparkling Pepsodent white" that they seemed to be. A little yellowing near the gumline (as many folks outside of the land of television have) helps to moderate the initial size of Greenskin's choppers.

deaconbluezzz
01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Does anyone have an good side by side pics of the new FS Hulk next to the older Bowen FS Hulk? I have looked through the threads, but did not see any good comparison pics. Maybe I missed this.

Thanks

Here ya go...sorry I don't have a green vs. green comparision, but this'll give you an idea of the scale. They seem to be pretty much the same size, but the more erect pose on the new sculpt makes him look larger.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177563/DSCF1519.jpg

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Here ya go...sorry I don't have a green vs. green comparision, but this'll give you an idea of the scale. They seem to be pretty much the same size, but the more erect pose on the new sculpt makes him look larger.

The new sculpt is a little larger, but not a whole lot. The Shifflet statue is in a full squat so it's hard to compare how tall he'd be if more upright, but side-by-side you can tell he's still smaller than Randy's.

Rome
01-24-2007, 07:16 PM

This pic just reminds how unHulk the original SB Hulk is (IMO). He looks like some kind of weir ogre or something. I still remember how pissed I was when that thing first came out. I was like "who the #$% is that supposed to be". I had to wait all those MANY years but I finally have my Hulk. Thanks again rb

Rome
01-24-2007, 07:19 PM
No they don't, and it helps that they aren't the "sparkling Pepsodent white" that they seemed to be. A little yellowing near the gumline (as many folks outside of the land of television have) helps to moderate the initial size of Greenskin's choppers.

yup,..isn't it weird how much they stick out in the pics though? even though I have the piece and I'm happy with it, when I see pics like the one above all I see are the teeth. still....

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 07:22 PM
This pic just reminds how unHulk the original SB Hulk is (IMO). He looks like some kind of weir ogre or something. I still remember how pissed I was when that thing first came out. I was like "who the #$% is that supposed to be". I had to wait all those MANY years but I finally have my Hulk. Thanks again rb

Well, I still love my Shifflett Hulk. I've said before it reminds me of the totally savage Hulk from the cross-roads arc, and the grit and realism are fantastic. It's personal taste, I know.

deaconbluezzz
01-24-2007, 07:28 PM

One bright lining on your initial disappointment...

Now that we have a more mainstream Green Hulk, the original (in it's Grey version), makes for a nice display with the new statue if you're going for an "evolution of the Hulk" kinda theme. The slightly smaller, heavier brow, flatter head-look of the Shiflett sculpt is perfect for the Grey Hulk.

JadeGiant
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, I still love my Shifflett Hulk. I've said before it reminds me of the totally savage Hulk from the cross-roads arc, and the grit and realism are fantastic. It's personal taste, I know.

ditto that - I loves me my shifflet Hulk:thumbs2: :buttrock:

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
ditto that - I loves me my shifflet Hulk:thumbs2: :buttrock:

:thumbs2:

JadeGiant
01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
talked to Danny today .. my Hulk should be going out right away! woohoo

Mastermold
01-24-2007, 07:55 PM
talked to Danny today .. my Hulk should be going out right away! woohoo

Now that Danny ships out of San Diego I get all my stuff either same or next day since it's only about 60 miles or so from my house. :buttrock:

JadeGiant
01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Now that Danny ships out of San Diego I get all my stuff either same or next day since it's only about 60 miles or so from my house. :buttrock:

you West Coasters get everything early ... at least we get prime time earlier:thumbs2:

giro
01-24-2007, 10:37 PM
the new bowen hulk was worht the wait for me never really liked the 1st one glad i held out a few years for randy's , looks great facing juggy ready to do battle awsome looking

TV8
01-24-2007, 10:50 PM
I got #1234 and its absolutely perfect. Not a paint fault or mis-cast to be seen. This is my favourite Bowen piece to date, as it captures the essence of Marvel in the 1970s, my favourite era. I'd love to see more "Classic" fs like this.

Meteor Man
01-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Got mine yesterday from Danny, #2239 of 2500. It is awesome!!!!!!:buttrock:

Das Brutah
01-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the pic.

Mastermold
01-25-2007, 07:23 PM

I took one of my new BD Hulks to work this morning and set him next to my Shifflett Hulk for a direct size comparison and the new Hulk is indeed quite a bit larger, at least in the upper body. His arms are much larger and his back, while not that much wider, is much more muscular. I'm going to display these two on opposite sides of the room so my Shifflett Hulk doesn't develop a Napoleon complex! :thumbs2:

Randy, once again I applaud you for this amazing sculpt, it rocks! :buttrock:

tigertank1225
01-25-2007, 07:35 PM
here's #83 signed by randy. this is one of my all time favorites.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/tigertank1225/Picture003.jpg

ant-man
01-26-2007, 07:57 PM
man...this is one KICK ASS!!!! piece...so happy i got it....Pictures do this one no Justice...paint job is flawless...i Totally recommend this one....

This is why Bowen Design will always be the #1....

Randy Excellent JOB!!!!!

also Got the Havok MB...NICE day!!!!:)

Collection King 13
01-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Now that I saw this peice in person I think the pics make it look better... I think he looks dwarfed and too wide.... and he seems like he has no waist.. and the head is the worst part of it...

ant-man
01-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Now that I saw this peice in person I think the pics make it look better... I think he looks dwarfed and too wide.... and he seems like he has no waste.. and the head is the worst part of it...

...man i have to disagree with ...u on all points...I think Randy did a great job on this piece...the pictures do it no justice...much better in person...head is fine...its massive...i like!!!

Mastermold
01-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Now that I saw this peice in person I think the pics make it look better... I think he looks dwarfed and too wide.... and he seems like he has no waste.. and the head is the worst part of it...

Waste not, want not! Or did you mean waist? :D

Collection King 13
01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
...man i have to disagree with ...u on all points...I think Randy did a great job on this piece...the pictures do it no justice...much better in person...head is fine...its massive...i like!!!

you have your opinion and I have mine... I thought I just didnt like the head from the pics alone but after seeing it at my LCS... I dont like the piece at all...

Collection King 13
01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Waste not, want not! Or did you mean waist? :D

Thanks! I pulled a Sniper! LOL!

Mastermold
01-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks! I poulled a Sniper! LOL!

:laugh:

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
01-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Now that I saw this peice in person I think the pics make it look better... I think he looks dwarfed and too wide.... and he seems like he has no waist.. and the head is the worst part of it...

I totally agree. Trunk too wide and too short, arms too long and too big, legs too short. The face is too apeish. The mouth is too wide. Teeth are going forward. The neck is too short.
I know it's the Hulk and he is far beyond human proportion. But there's something bothering me a little bit in his anatomy.

But few people will have this opinion. There are more people who loves this statue. But after all, it's only a matter of taste. ;)

ant-man
01-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I totally agree. Trunk too wide and too short, arms too long and too big, legs too short. The face is too apeish. The mouth is too wide. Teeth are going forward. The neck is too short.
I know it's the Hulk and he is far beyond human proportion. But there's something bothering me a little bit in his anatomy.

But few people will have this opinion. There are more people who loves this statue. But after all, it's only a matter of taste. ;)

agreed ..its a matter of taste....now..lets see tha Kirby Hulk FS!!!!:thumbs2:

Collection King 13
01-28-2007, 01:50 PM

There already is one! :D
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/7138_press01-001.jpg

Mastermold
01-28-2007, 01:59 PM

Everything you describe is exactly how Hulk's drawn in the comics! The character isn't normal, hence his sculpt isn't. :laugh:

Mastermold
01-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah look at Andy's SS sculpt -- his arms are twice as big as his legs and just as long, and his traps are so big he can barely turn his head! And it's perfect! That's the Hulk!

Alex655321
01-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah look at Andy's SS sculpt -- his arms are twice as big as his legs and just as long, and his traps are so big he can barely turn his head! And it's perfect! That's the Hulk!

Correct:thumbs2:

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
01-28-2007, 02:12 PM

Waiting for this one too.

There already is one! :D

This one is a beautiful piece for sure. ;)
I appreciate the forthcoming Master Replica Hulk too.:thumbs2:

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
01-28-2007, 02:17 PM

I totally agree. Andy's Hulk is far beyond anatomical standard as the Hulk must be. But he succeeded in keeping the balance between the human and the monster. This is the reason why I think his Hulk is one of the best ever produced... if not THE BEST.:thumbs2:

Jameshowlett
01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=Mastermold;978036]Well, I think both statues are great for the reasons I explained above. Here's some of my pics of the SS Hulk. The BD pics aren't mine but I'll post them here anyway for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0302.jpg

http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/13078/hulk02.jpg
Dude,I've changed my mind. The SS is pretty awesome! I still like BDs the most but I have to give it up for that SS Hulk.:buttrock:

Jameshowlett
01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
I totally agree. Trunk too wide and too short, arms too long and too big, legs too short. The face is too apeish.

true, but your saying that BDs Hulk's face looks ape ish? Where do you see ape on his face?
:confused:

Mastermold
01-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Dude,I've changed my mind. The SS is pretty awesome! I still like BDs the most but I have to give it up for that SS Hulk.:buttrock:

They're both great at what they offer. The larger 1/4 scale of the SS sculpt allows for greater detailing and Andy B took it to the max -- the realism and detail of SS's Hulk is jaw-dropping. It literally looks like he's alive and could walk right off your desk! The strength of Bowen's Hulk, on the other hand, is the power and emotion of the sculpt, and its iconic comic accuracy. I really love both sculpts -- so much in fact that I've now purchased multiples of both sculpts! :buttrock:

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
01-31-2007, 05:34 AM
true, but your saying that BDs Hulk's face looks ape ish? Where do you see ape on his face?
:confused:

BD's Hulk has the jaw protrusion of a gorilla. Just make a google search for gorilla pics. And you can also read this post by Randy Bowen :
http://statueforum.com/showthread.php?p=931102&highlight=simian#post931102
Randy derivated his Hulk from a John Buscema cover, but he also wanted it to have a simian look. ;)

Just in case : anatomy and anthropology are two domains i know because i'm a physician. Anatomy was part of my Medical Studies. And I always had an interest for anthropology.

To conclude : there are anatomical facts no one can't deny about Randy's Hulk. Some even guided the creation of this sculpt. So you can appreciate BD's Hulk for its characteristics or dislike it. Personnaly i don't like it and i explained why. Now i understand there are people who love this statue. As i said before : it's all a matter of taste.:thumbs2:

fenix v.2.0
02-02-2007, 04:42 AM
#200/500 arrived today :buttrock:

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 05:48 AM
#200/500 arrived today :buttrock:

Post pics with your grey one!!!!!!!!!!!

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 02:11 PM
i finaly saw the ss hulk in person and it is just as bad as the pictures.there are wide portions on his arms,chest, and legs that have no definiton at all.just long stetches of smooth skin which does not look good at all.and the pants!!!how can you guys who like this statue give those a pass.they are so cheesy looking.certainly not befitting a 400$ statue.no holes in the pants!! not even any frayed edges!!

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
look, lets face it, bowen is putting out the definitive version of the marvel universe in statue.that is a period after the word statue.

gman
02-02-2007, 02:20 PM
MINE IS WAITING FOR ME AT THE THE CRIB! Fex ex just dropped it off. :buttrock:

pics will be posted.

Mastermold
02-02-2007, 02:23 PM
i finaly saw the ss hulk in person and it is just as bad as the pictures.there are wide portions on his arms,chest, and legs that have no definiton at all.just long stetches of smooth skin which does not look good at all.and the pants!!!how can you guys who like this statue give those a pass.they are so cheesy looking.certainly not befitting a 400$ statue.not holes in the pants!! not even any frayed edges!!

You sure it was the SS Hulk you saw?

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 02:25 PM
if you want to start going into abstract or elseworld depictions of the marvel figures then that is fine.but I want the closest thing to the character that I read in the comic.you know like were they all began?comparing bowen to sideshow is like comparing apples to oranges,except the oranges are a strange species of oranges that dont really look like any oranges we have ever really seen.

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 02:32 PM
i finaly saw the ss hulk in person and it is just as bad as the pictures.there are wide portions on his arms,chest, and legs that have no definiton at all.just long stetches of smooth skin which does not look good at all.and the pants!!!how can you guys who like this statue give those a pass.they are so cheesy looking.certainly not befitting a 400$ statue.not holes in the pants!! not even any frayed edges!!

Are you kidding???? :confused: SS is the Best Hulk .

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 02:33 PM
if you want to start going into abstract or elseworld depictions of the marvel figures then that is fine.but I want the closest thing to the character that I read in the comic.you know like were they all began?comparing bowen to sideshow is like comparing apples to oranges,except the oranges are a strange species of oranges that dont really look like any oranges we have ever really seen.

I think youre nuts... but thats just my opinion. :D

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 02:36 PM
no. i am not nuts.but if bowens company sculpted me, at least i would look like a nut.

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
no. i am not nuts.but if bowens company sculpted me, at least i would look like a nut.

LOL!!! So what does the SS HUlk look like?

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 02:42 PM
a green ape in cut off cheap leisure suit pants

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 02:44 PM
a green ape in cut off cheap leisure suit pants

OK... and what does Bowens look like?

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 02:45 PM
1976 to 1978

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 02:47 PM
:laugh: You are too much... So youre saying that BDs is Better than SSs... :laugh: Yeah OK...

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
02-02-2007, 02:50 PM
i finaly saw the ss hulk in person and it is just as bad as the pictures.there are wide portions on his arms,chest, and legs that have no definiton at all.just long stetches of smooth skin which does not look good at all.and the pants!!!how can you guys who like this statue give those a pass.they are so cheesy looking.certainly not befitting a 400$ statue.no holes in the pants!! not even any frayed edges!!

Please can you explain what you mean by "no definition at all"?

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 03:04 PM
yeah ,there are huge exspansions on that statue that are just smooth.it just seems like there should be more going on than just polished skin.

Mastermold
02-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey genesimmons, I love the BD Hulk probably more than anyone on this board (except BGA but that's another story), but I couldn't disagree more with you on the SS Hulk. The face is picture perfect Jack Kirby -- I'll post the drawing again if you don't believe me. And the detailing and musculature of the sculpt are unbelievable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0357.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0349.jpg

Mastermold
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0346.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0355.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0354.jpg

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Please can you explain what you mean by "no definition at all"?

Maybe he saw this one and thought it was the SS... :D

http://i13.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/87/96/59e3_1.JPG

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 03:06 PM
hey, i hate that side show hulk.dont try to get me to say anything good about.

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 03:07 PM
hey, i hate that side show hulk.dont try to get me to say anything good about.

Then youre not a real Hulk fan....

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 03:08 PM
look at his back man! he has like 4 dimple on his skin, and the rest is totaly smooth!!!

Mastermold
02-02-2007, 03:10 PM
look at his back man! he has like 4 dimple on his skin, and the rest is totaly smooth!!!

Exactly, he's flexing on the right side swinging the arm back -- the left side is hanging down, extended -- exactly how he should be sculpted to be anatomically correct.

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 03:12 PM
colection king did you ever read any of the peter david hulks or the bryne issues? dont talk to me about being a hulk fan.

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
show me some art that looks like the bd hulk.

Achiever
02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Dude, I don't know what you're smokin, but the SS Hulk is the best Hulk sculpt out there today.

Now, the cloth pants on the other hand...those gotta go. Looks too much like a dolly.

Mastermold
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
show me some art that looks like the bd hulk.

FF 112 cover. :thumbs2:

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
you guys are crazy .your own pictures show how cheesy that statue is.look at the color of his pants! there to bright!

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
FF 112 cover. :thumbs2:

but the head doesnt match...

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 03:19 PM
acheiver says it the best sculpt out there, but the pants are horrible? the pants take up like half the statue dude.so half of the best statue out there sucks?

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I WOULD GUESS THAT THOSE PEOPLE out there on the board who are more familiar with when the hulk was was being hadled well in the comics know that the bowen statue is by far superior than ss.that is the hulk we all read and enjoyed for years, however if you grew up watching the cartoon grape ape,have I got a statue for you.except,you will have to paint him purple.

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 04:10 PM

That's a good way to put it. SS seems to like to interpret the characters. Bowen attempts to get the definitive version seen in the books. If you have a love of the history of Marvel then Bowen is probably for you. If you prefer artistic takes on the characters then SS is the company you would most likely favor. It's all preference.

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 04:10 PM

Hah! You ROCK!!!!! :buttrock:

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0346.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0355.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/joefixit/IMG_0354.jpg

When did this become the Sideshow section of statue forum? All I know is that when I mentioned the Bowen Hulk in the SS section, I got banned for 3 days because I might hurt someone's feelings. Yet, the Bowen fans are constantly bombarded by how great the SS Hulk is & nothing is ever said.
Weird...

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Then youre not a real Hulk fan....

PLEASE....

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I WOULD GUESS THAT THOSE PEOPLE out there on the board who are more familiar with when the hulk was was being hadled well in the comics know that the bowen statue is by far superior than ss.that is the hulk we all read and enjoyed for years, however if you grew up watching the cartoon grape ape,have I got a statue for you.except,you will have to paint him purple.

I have nothing bad to say about the SS Hulk, but I will say that the Bowen Hulk represents the Hulk I grew up .

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
02-02-2007, 04:35 PM
show me some art that looks like the bd hulk.FF 112 cover. :thumbs2:

but the head doesnt match...
Mastermold, I agree with you on the pose. Randy Bowen used it as a model for his Hulk. But as CK13 says, the head doesn't match at all. Randy sculpted a very different face for HIS Hulk. ;)

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
you guys are crazy .your own pictures show how cheesy that statue is.look at the color of his pants! there to bright!

I'm OK with you. You can have your opinion and dislike SS Hulk. But your comments should be more descriptive about the anatomical problems. ;)

hungrydaddy
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I am not a huge fan of the SS hulk. I don't like the dark green paint or the cloth clothes. I liked it better before it was painted. While I will admit it is very detailed and impressive. I am not a huge fan of the face. I will concede that it is probably much more accurate to some of the art from the comic than Randy's. I also think SS is just too expensive but that is not relevant here.

I find Randy's hulk to be simply amazing. The size and detail and face for me are just perfect. I like the lighter green and the sculpted clothes. My preference is by far for the Bowen Designs hulk. So while I don't think the SS is a bad sculpt I just completely prefer the Bowen. To me it is the perfect and definitive hulk sculpt.

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't agree with bashing Andy's work. The SS sculpt is obviously a well done statue. Randy even complimented it. I just feel no connection to it. Sorry. I just think you Sideshow guys enjoy being bullies, and starting a fight to get us "Bowennosers" to say nasty things about Andy's sculpt. I'm done playing your game and the rest of us Bowennosers should be as well. Let's be the better people folks.

Peace Out, Yo?

Al

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Fenix...can we see a pic of your green & grey Bowen Hulks together? Since, ya know, this is the Bowen Forum & all :)

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Fenix...can we see a pic of your green & grey Bowen Hulks together? Since, ya know, this is the Bowen Forum & all :)

:mad: Get it right buddy... This is the Bowen Section of Statueforum.com...

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
I just think you Sideshow guys enjoy being bullies, and starting a fight to get us "Bowennosers" to say nasty things about Andy's sculpt. I'm done playing your game and the rest of us Bowennosers should be as well.

I think the problem is some posts lack of strong arguments to explain why some of us love or dislike a sculpt. Talk about being passionate...
We're here to debate and listen to each other while remaining cool and open minded. ;)

genesimmons1
02-02-2007, 05:21 PM

test

Mastermold
02-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I am not a huge fan of the SS hulk. I don't like the dark green paint or the cloth clothes. I liked it better before it was painted. While I will admit it is very detailed and impressive. I am not a huge fan of the face. I will concede that it is probably much more accurate to some of the art from the comic than Randy's. I also think SS is just too expensive but that is not relevant here.

I find Randy's hulk to be simply amazing. The size and detail and face for me are just perfect. I like the lighter green and the sculpted clothes. My preference is by far for the Bowen Designs hulk. So while I don't think the SS is a bad sculpt I just completely prefer the Bowen. To me it is the perfect and definitive hulk sculpt.

I like both sculpts so much I bought three of each! :D

hulkpitt
02-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I like both sculpts so much I bought three of each! :D

I bought two of each, I'm just pleased that two high end statues of my favorite subject matter have come out at the same time and then we have MR Hulk to top it all off later in the year.

I am excited about the Bowen Hulk because it is in scale with most of my non hulk stuff and looks super "a wasp just stung my b@lls!!" angry.

I am excited about Andy's Hulk because it's so insanely out of scale with all my stuff and totally different to ALL other high end hulks in the looks department.

I look at the sculptures and if I like them I buy them.

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
:mad: Get it right buddy... This is the Bowen Section of Statueforum.com...

Sigh...that statement is getting old as well. If you don't think I don't know who runs this site (I do & I buy statues off him) or that there are other forums on here as well, then you are only reading the posts of mine that you want to read. I'm not explaining myself to you or anyone else again. This is the Bowen section. Some of you think it's fun to harrass the Bowen fans. I just think you're bullies.

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 07:49 PM
I think the problem is some posts lack of strong arguments to explain why some of us love or dislike a sculpt. Talk about being passionate...
We're here to debate and listen to each other while remaining cool and open minded. ;)

That's a great fantasy. I'd like to see it come true one day. :)

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 07:50 PM
I bought two of each, I'm just pleased that two high end statues of my favorite subject matter have come out at the same time and then we have MR Hulk to top it all off later in the year.

I am excited about the Bowen Hulk because it is in scale with most of my non hulk stuff and looks super "a wasp just stung my b@lls!!" angry.

I am excited about Andy's Hulk because it's so insanely out of scale with all my stuff and totally different to ALL other high end hulks in the looks department.

I look at the sculptures and if I like them I buy them.

Truer words could not be said! Enjoy all your Hulk product! :)

VaultMan
02-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Actually, I like the Shiftletts grey Hulk...he reminds me of the Frankenstein-ish original grey hulk, they way he first appeared. I think the Shiftletts grey Hulk is better than Randys grey one.

But Randy's green Hulk rules the roost, IMHO.

MTR001
02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I got my Grey Hulk today 72/500

Spliff
02-02-2007, 11:10 PM
I wish someone would make a statue of the movie Hulk.

gman
02-02-2007, 11:30 PM
New HULK in da house...great sculpt..a behemoth!!!!! Here are a few piks!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/gomalley/newhulk002.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/gomalley/newhulk003.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/gomalley/newhulk001.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/gomalley/newhulk004.jpg

JadeGiant
02-02-2007, 11:39 PM
poor elmo is a gonner

genesimmons1
02-03-2007, 12:15 AM
great pictures gman .I have mine facing of against juggy also.he also looks real good next to green trunks namor for some reason.look at the detail on the pants by the waistline and the knees.the way they fold over so realisticly.must have been hard to sculpt the pants that well.I guess that why some other company just tossed on any cheapo pair of pants they could find.this statue might actualy be bowens masterpiece.what do some of you guys think .what would be bowens masterpiece?I might vote for this.

gman
02-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks GS..yes i would put it up there with bowen's best...although i do like the surfer statues, modern captain america and Juggs...also Doom and the original Thor. All are great! :buttrock:

Alex655321
02-03-2007, 12:37 AM
poor elmo is a gonner

:laugh:

Great pics gman:thumbs2:

genesimmons1
02-03-2007, 01:02 AM
yea your right gman every one you mentioned would have to be considered.how could you not pick the chrome surfer.but, then how could you not pick bowens full size doom,or the cap.modern and of course thor.argh!! I take back my vote for the hulk and place it on doom.might change my choice tommorow again...

pmpknface
02-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Awesome pics!

HULK SMASH PUNY ELMO!!!