PDA

View Full Version : Captain America Variant

statue-man
01-25-2007, 06:14 AM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p106/statue-man/NovickAnimation.gifWhat BD needs to do for a variant of CAPTAIN AMERICA. cap has worn the the same basic uniform for the past 60 years. In that time he has carried the original V shaped shield, and the round shield given him by President FDR during WWII. The Ideal variant would be a change-o-shield give him both shiels and you could display him with either shield. It works with the future and the past. It would be the greatest Cap statue in history. I would buy 2 myself to display both ways.

Randy run a poll on this.

risingstar
01-25-2007, 07:33 AM
That wouldn't work (for me) because the modern and the WWII costumes weren't identical.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4doxaxh.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/49hrxv7.jpg

Bullseye
01-25-2007, 07:40 AM
I like the modern version but not a fan of the base colour. Black with a gold insignia might have been cool.

xXx
01-25-2007, 01:09 PM
What BD needs to do for a variant of CAPTAIN AMERICA. cap has worn the the same basic uniform for the past 60 years. In that time he has carried the original V shaped shield, and the round shield given him by President FDR during WWII. The Ideal variant would be a change-o-shield give him both shiels and you could display him with either shield. It works with the future and the past. It would be the greatest Cap statue in history. I would buy 2 myself to display both ways.

Great Idea!!! Have you seen the Captain America Variant, Sideshow is putting out later this year? Same concept you mention, except it's a sideshow statue. would be nice to see a Bowen version!

statue-man
01-25-2007, 01:52 PM
risingstar, Have to give you a history lesson. Captain america did start out originally with the 2 piece costume and the V shaped shield later on he changed to the costume he wears now. After that he was presented the round shield by FDR and carried that he was frozen in ice. In the 1990's he lost the round shield, and vent back to the V shaped shield for a short time. His original V shaped shield was given to the Black Panther's father having lost it in battle to him. He wore the present day costume during WWII and carried both shields for a time. The 40's Bowen statue is how he first appeared to the world. The costume he wears now is a duplicate of the one he was wearing when the Avengers first revived him when they found him frozen in Avengers #4. Sideshow has shown there version but it sold out in 3 days and is about 20 inches tall. It would not fit in with the other Bowen statues in scale.

deaconbluezzz
01-25-2007, 02:07 PM
risingstar, Have to give you a history lesson. Captain america did start out originally with the 2 piece costume and the V shaped shield later on he changed to the costume he wears now. After that he was presented the round shield by FDR and carried that he was frozen in ice. In the 1990's he lost the round shield, and vent back to the V shaped shield for a short time. His original V shaped shield was given to the Black Panther's father having lost it in battle to him. He wore the present day costume during WWII and carried both shields for a time. The 40's Bowen statue is how he first appeared to the world. The costume he wears now is a duplicate of the one he was wearing when the Avengers first revived him when they found him frozen in Avengers #4. Sideshow has shown there version but it sold out in 3 days and is about 20 inches tall. It would not fit in with the other Bowen statues in scale.

Well, to be honest, there is alot of present day retconning involved in all this. In actuality, the triangular shield was dropped by Marvel (Timely) after Captain America Comics #1 (1941) due to threats of a lawsuit by MLJ/Archie Comics, creators of the other patrotic hero of the time, The Shield.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177563/250px-PepComics1.jpeg

I don't think the triangular shield was even mentioned again until Captain America #247 (1980), during the Byrne run of issues, when Cap finds it, along with a bunch of other items, in his recently discovered old Army foot locker. Even in the silver age retelling of his origin (TOS #63, 1965), he was shown as only having the circular shield.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177563/1860_2_247.jpg

JDH
01-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Deac, got any shots of The Shield's peppy co-star 'Bentley of Scotland Yard'?:)

Equinox24
01-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a Cap variant where he is frozen in a block of ice.

pmpknface
01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Well, to be honest, there is alot of present day retconning involved in all this. In actuality, the triangular shield was dropped by Marvel (Timely) after Captain America Comics #1 (1941) due to threats of a lawsuit by MLJ/Archie Comics, creators of the other patrotic hero of the time, The Shield.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177563/250px-PepComics1.jpeg

I don't think the triangular shield was even mentioned again until Captain America #247 (1980), during the Byrne run of issues, when Cap finds it, along with a bunch of other items, in his recently discovered old Army foot locker. Even in the silver age retelling of his origin (TOS #63, 1965), he was shown as only having the circular shield.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177563/1860_2_247.jpg

You're dead on Deacon! After that he uses it in the Dan Jurgens era when his circular shield is lost at the bottom of the ocean. He then gets a substitute power shield for a while until he gets his regular shield back.

I think he may have also used the triangle one in Sentinal of Liberty series...

Jameshowlett
01-25-2007, 02:50 PM
So will the idea work as a variant or not? I'm not a huge cap historian.

The Watcher
01-25-2007, 02:54 PM
What BD needs to do for a variant of CAPTAIN AMERICA. cap has worn the the same basic uniform for the past 60 years. In that time he has carried the original V shaped shield, and the round shield given him by President FDR during WWII. The Ideal variant would be a change-o-shield give him both shiels and you could display him with either shield. It works with the future and the past. It would be the greatest Cap statue in history. I would buy 2 myself to display both ways.

I wouldn't be interested in a change-o-shield version. I'd prefer a FS statue to be true to the era which it represents.

Achiever
01-25-2007, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't be interested in a change-o-shield version. I'd prefer a FS statue to be true to the era which it represents.

I'm with you.

deaconbluezzz
01-25-2007, 03:03 PM

I'm not for it either. Each of the three shields (triangular, circular w/blue stripes, current) corresponds to a unique costume, with minor details that vary from the others. A c-o-s version wouldn't be historically accurate.

*deacon steps down from his nerd soapbox*

Underdog07
01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm with The Watcher on this one. I'll buy all the Caps that are put out so bring them on. No need to get two of the exact same piece so I can dispaly with 2 different shields.

Jameshowlett
01-25-2007, 06:11 PM

Yes, but wasn't it just proven that it would be correct?

Underdog07
01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Yes, but wasn't it just proven that it would be correct?

I think the opposite was proven. Cap had a different looking uniform in Cap #1 when he appeared with his triangle shiled.

jimbo5905
01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a Cap variant where he is frozen in a block of ice.

:confused2 :confused: :confused2

Toast
01-26-2007, 09:21 AM
OKay this totally somewhat off the subject but how about a full size Winter Soldier? Any takers? I think the bar was set in past posts on what the new Caps should look like.

Jameshowlett
01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
I think the opposite was proven. Cap had a different looking uniform in Cap #1 when he appeared with his triangle shiled.
But what about what Statueman said? Again, I'm not the Cap fan here, thats why I'm asking.

Mastermold
01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I like the modern version but not a fan of the base colour. Black with a gold insignia might have been cool.

Same here on the base -- the tan color looks like plastic to me.