PDA

View Full Version : Scale question

thezobe
01-25-2007, 09:27 PM
I usually buy only Bowen, but the Hard Hero Ironman is the nicest classic Ironman sculpt I think I've seen. I've heard the Hard Hero statues are a larger scale, I'm just not sure how much. Would they display well with my Bowen statues, or is the scale difference too great?

High Lord Apocalypse
01-25-2007, 09:57 PM
i think hard hero is 1/5th scale,so it will be very noticeable. i try to stick to bd and ss and not display them together cause of the even larger scale difference but becasue hh ironman looks amazing it'll be my first hh piece in my colleciton.

maybe someone with both statues will post pics.

imthkman
01-25-2007, 10:01 PM
i think hard hero is 1/5th scale,so it will be very noticeable. i try to stick to bd and ss and not display them together cause of the even larger scale difference but becasue hh ironman looks amazing it'll be my first hh piece in my colleciton.

maybe someone with both statues will post pics.

For me too. I just couldn't resist. I basically collect only Avengers and some villians when I get FS's. I never got BD's Iron Man FS's, and the HH one just blew me away. I'm past the point of caring about scale on that one. It's just awesome.

Doctor Pym
01-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Hard Hero statues look 1/6th scale to me... each of the Avengers is about a foot tall. The Hard Hero Thor might still look at home with the Bowen Avengers, given that Thor is sometimes (not always) drawn as though he's about 6' 10" tall... but there's another problem with displaying Bowen and HH statues together (I've tried.)

I love the Hard Hero sculpts, and I've bought three so far (Thor, Cap and Hawkeye), but the paint jobs are a very different style from what BD usually does. The colors are clean and very true to the comics, but simpler, and you usually don't get the kind of semi-metallic / gloss paints that Bowen Designs sometimes uses. (Just compare HH Hawkeye and BD Hawkeye to see what I mean.)

Iron Man may be an exception, but he'd still tower over any BD Avengers.

My advice, FWIW, is to get the Iron Man and any others you want, but plan on displaying them separately from your Bowens. They'll look great, but they're different.

thezobe
01-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Hard Hero statues look 1/6th scale to me... each of the Avengers is about a foot tall. The Hard Hero Thor might still look at home with the Bowen Avengers, given that Thor is sometimes (not always) drawn as though he's about 6' 10" tall... but there's another problem with displaying Bowen and HH statues together (I've tried.)

I love the Hard Hero sculpts, and I've bought three so far (Thor, Cap and Hawkeye), but the paint jobs are a very different style from what BD usually does. The colors are clean and very true to the comics, but simpler, and you usually don't get the kind of semi-metallic / gloss paints that Bowen Designs sometimes uses. (Just compare HH Hawkeye and BD Hawkeye to see what I mean.)

Iron Man may be an exception, but he'd still tower over any BD Avengers.

My advice, FWIW, is to get the Iron Man and any others you want, but plan on displaying them separately from your Bowens. They'll look great, but they're different.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll get the HH Ironman and possibly the HH Namor and just display them on another shelf.

deaconbluezzz
01-25-2007, 11:04 PM
I usually buy only Bowen, but the Hard Hero Ironman is the nicest classic Ironman sculpt I think I've seen. I've heard the Hard Hero statues are a larger scale, I'm just not sure how much. Would they display well with my Bowen statues, or is the scale difference too great?

First of all...I love your avatar!! Wildfire was my all-time favorite hero as a kid!

Secondly, Randy is working on another FS Iron Man statue. It'll almost certainly be the classic armor, and it's rumored to also have a silver centurion variant edition. Stop worrying about the scale (and you're all right, the HH statues are significantly larger), and just sit on your hands for a few more months. From all I've seen this past year, the sculpts Randy has worked on (Black Panther, Thor, Hawkeye, the Hulk) have all been grand-slam home runs...I have no reason to doubt the new Iron Man FS will be as well.

...have patience grasshopper ;)

Toy Machine
01-25-2007, 11:07 PM
IF only the rest follows Bowen scale size... life would be so much simpler..:banghead:

insomniac
01-25-2007, 11:18 PM
IF only the rest follows Bowen scale size... life would be so much simpler..:banghead:

Forget the rest. I would be happy if Bowen followed Bowen's scale. :)

thezobe
01-26-2007, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=deaconbluezzz;979860]First of all...I love your avatar!! Wildfire was my all-time favorite hero as a kid!

Thanks! That's a 5" custom action figure I did a while ago. Wildfire was my favorite DC character for years. Too bad DC has destroyed the classic Legion. And thanks for your suggestions. I guess I should wait on Bowen, it's just that my jaw dropped when I saw how cool the HH Ironman was!

Juggernaut
01-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Hard Hero statue's are 1/6 scale.

Makkari1
01-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks! That's a 5" custom action figure I did a while ago. Wildfire was my favorite DC character for years. Too bad DC has destroyed the classic Legion. And thanks for your suggestions. I guess I should wait on Bowen, it's just that my jaw dropped when I saw how cool the HH Ironman was!

Ya gotta admit HH does make a very good Iron Man. I love this hobby, with all the great stuff Bowen is putting out and companies like Hard Hero and Sideshow raising their bar, I can't hardly control myself:buttrock: but my wallet does that for me.

Normally you really can't display Bowen and Hard Hero Stuff together one is just too big to go with the other. But that depends on which piece you display it with. I think the HH Submariner and the Bowen Hulk could go well together but if you plan to display that HH Iron Man with Bowen Avengers it may not be a good idea. I think that Bowen will put out a classic Iron Man this year (Lord knows he putt'n out bunch of mini bust Iron Men) so be patience. But if you can't contain yourself, then buy HH.

lord odin
01-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Forget the rest. I would be happy if Bowen followed Bowen's scale. :)

I`m thinking it`s because so many different sculptors do pieces.

lord odin
01-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Ya gotta admit HH does make a very good Iron Man. I love this hobby, with all the great stuff Bowen is putting out and companies like Hard Hero and Sideshow raising their bar, I can't hardly control myself:buttrock: but my wallet does that for me.

Normally you really can't display Bowen and Hard Hero Stuff together one is just too big to go with the other. But that depends on which piece you display it with. I think the HH Submariner and the Bowen Hulk could go well together but if you plan to display that HH Iron Man with Bowen Avengers it may not be a good idea. I think that Bowen will put out a classic Iron Man this year (Lord knows he putt'n out bunch of mini bust Iron Men) so be patience. But if you can't contain yourself, then buy HH.
I love the Bowen FS but Hard Hero takes it to a higher level.:buttrock:

loricstone
01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I tend to think after doing rough measurements of HH statues in their crouched positions and what not, I came up with 1/5 scale or something very close to it. They definitely are closer to 1/5 than 1/6. They are the perfect size statues. Their scale is dead on to me. If BD stays with the scale that this new Hulk, Thanos, Apocalypse, and Thor are, it would be awesome!