PDA

View Full Version : would u pay more for better Paints on Bowen pieces?

ant-man
01-26-2007, 02:20 PM
....Just wondering...alot of complaints seem to be around the paint jobs...so far ive been lucky..and most have been pretty good..im not a perfectionist..so...a slip here and there does not bother me...considering the prices of these pieces are fairly reasonable...

but...if the cost of an average statue and MB was $10-20 more...do you think it would be good to have Randy find a better factory for better paint jobs?

Just throwing this out there...this is in no way...knocking Bowen...

Jesse321
01-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I already DO and it's a lot more than 10 or 20 dollars! :banghead:

Deadpool
01-26-2007, 02:24 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

Jesse321
01-26-2007, 02:24 PM
:laugh: :laugh:
Shut up you :stick: :stick:

Ink
01-26-2007, 02:25 PM

lol

Tetragrammaton
01-26-2007, 02:25 PM

:buttrock:

Deadpool
01-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Sorry Jess, I couldnt help it! :)

ant-man
01-26-2007, 02:28 PM

... well then i guess thats a YES!!!

Mastermold
01-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes, I'd pay a little more. BD's paint jobs are pretty good overall, but there is some occasional slop and it is irritating, especially when on the character's face. A loose brush stroke here or there can really detract. The painters just need to be a little more careful.

Equinox24
01-26-2007, 02:30 PM
A big part of quality here is the paint. I was under the impression that we were already paying for a good/quality paint job.

Relic Reaper
01-26-2007, 02:30 PM

:laugh: :eplus2: :laugh:

Relic Reaper
01-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Ha! I jumped the gun before I saw DP's response. :redface:

Jesse321
01-26-2007, 02:32 PM
... well then i guess thats a YES!!!
Actually, no, it's a NO ... I would pay more money to one of the paint masters on the forum, because I know from past experience that I'll be 100% happy with the results.

I'd have to see the improvements being offered before I'd say yes ... that being said, if I could get those same kind of results that I'm already paying for .. THEN it would be a yes.

spider-man
01-26-2007, 02:37 PM
no, because I don't think that that is what it requires to get the job done right.

Makkari1
01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
As of now I see that I'm the only guy who voted yes and the reason why is the Thanos paint screw up. The colors were wrong on this magnificent piece. Its a damn shame we have to go out and pay others to correct mistakes made. I'm sure that Randy didn't have final say in the color of this piece but whoever at Marvel OK'ed this should recieve the stick of woe:stick:. My problem is that if that factory can't get right when they release it, then paying an extra $20-30 dollars won't cure it either. Mamma always said if you want something done right do it yourself.

Jesse321
01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Mamma always said if you want something done right do it yourself.That's exactly why I take my pieces to either Danno or Saul ... I know once either one of them get their hands on it, it'll end up absolutely perfect.

Jameshowlett
01-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Bowen paints are some of the best out there. My only complaint is the Sloppy looking lines that run ovr into the wrong part of the bust or FS.

Underdog07
01-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I have no problem with any of the BD paint jobs to date. The Thanos paint job had nothing to do with the painter or the paint, but how quickly theu were repackaged after having the paint applied. So its an isolated error that would not have been obvioated by a better painter or more money.

devlinboy
01-26-2007, 03:36 PM
i like most of the paint jobs also... i did notice that polaris looks like tori spelling

ironrope
01-26-2007, 03:36 PM
WTF?! You shouldn't have to pay more for a good paint job.

batman1180
01-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Nope, i think for the money the paints are good enough quality on the most part.

fenix v.2.0
01-26-2007, 03:39 PM

Nope, i think for the money the paints are good enough quality on the most part.

Amen, brothas, amen!

Collection King 13
01-26-2007, 03:41 PM

What she said!

HoldyourfireAl
01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
What is wrong with the paint jobs?!?!?!?

Collection King 13
01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
What is wrong with the paint jobs?!?!?!?

Are you serious!?!?!?! :confused:

HoldyourfireAl
01-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Are you serious!?!?!?! :confused:

I've never had a problem. Not even with Thanos!

Ink
01-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I've never had a problem. Not even with Thanos!

lucky you, but what am I sayin, I didn't have a problem with thanos either

Jesse321
01-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Here we go again! :rolleyes2

galactus
01-26-2007, 04:21 PM
As usual, we have two different discussions going on at the same time. There is a difference between:

1) A quality paint job (being in the lines, as it were)

vs

2) The "correct" colors being used

The Thanos issues revolved around improper colors and the styrofoam packaging not being properly cured before packing, so those problems didn't have anything to do with the actual paint job. Obviously, we shouldn't have to pay more for the right colors to be used or the packaging to be done properly.

HOWEVER, in terms of getting a better quality paint job, I think we get what we pay for. If you compare the busts, their size, and their prices over the years, they've been fairly consitent. There are still busts coming out today for $45, with only the larger pieces being more. Seeing as the prices haven't gone up, per se, I think the quality is fine.

People also have to realize that it's not like there are 100s, or even dozens, of factories out in China waiting to make this stuff. To my knowledge, there are maybe 3 or 4 factories producing this stuff for EVERYONE. More companies means more product to push through, which means worse QA/QC and production for everyone (c'mon, don't you all notice that every company is having the same problems these days).

Unless you're willing to pay out the nose for all of these companies to have the stuff produced here in the states at brand new factories built specifically for this stuff, I think we're getting about as good as we're going to get.

Makkari1
01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I have no problem with any of the BD paint jobs to date. The Thanos paint job had nothing to do with the painter or the paint, but how quickly theu were repackaged after having the paint applied. So its an isolated error that would not have been obvioated by a better painter or more money.

There were 2 problems (IMO) with the Thanos paint job:

1.) The smudging paint (on some units).
2.) The blue was too light as compared to the promo pics and how Thanos is portrayed in comics. It was IMO too washed out and looked like a eggshell blue. The gold paint was fine (at least on my two) and I wished he used real glass for the gems.:)

speedracer
01-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Let me see..sideshow has great paint apps for wolverine and it cost around $174..SS emma is $125...at 1/5 or 1/4 scale...

now bowen averages from $150 to $200 and the question is would i pay more to get a clean paint job close to what other companies are offering for a comparable price with a bigger scale..

Hell no!!! at the prices we pay the paints should be excellent accurate color choice and no slop..that's just my opinion of course..

KaiserSosa
01-26-2007, 06:01 PM
The eFFing paint jobs are fine on the VAST majority of the sculpts, otherwise, we wouldn't be buying the stuff and then talking about it!

JavOner
01-26-2007, 06:08 PM
No i would not pay more for better paint. For one reason, i dont think the paint jobs are bad.

lord odin
01-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I already pay for better paints it`s called Hard Hero.:)

Ink
01-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Let me see..sideshow has great paint apps for wolverine and it cost around $174..SS emma is $125...at 1/5 or 1/4 scale...

now bowen averages from $150 to $200 and the question is would i pay more to get a clean paint job close to what other companies are offering for a comparable price with a bigger scale..

Hell no!!! at the prices we pay the paints should be excellent accurate color choice and no slop..that's just my opinion of course..

yeah but with, you're probably gonna be broke when you get it

Tony Coca
01-26-2007, 06:51 PM
we shouldnt have to pay extra for something that should be done from the get go.

The Fog
01-26-2007, 06:51 PM
I guess in the realm of semi-mass produced, hand painted pieces, I have really nothing to complain about, and as far as the color's appearing as they did in the comic's which are used as a basis for the piece's sculpted, well I have a few pictures of the same character that the color's are SLIGHTLY different than those painted by the BD painter's, but I'm not gonna blow a gasket everytime the shade or hue is off by one turn of the color wheel.
All in all I like them, and don't need to have them Repainted to PERFECTION.
Thank's BD keep up the great work for us few who are not, Perfect.

'Nuff
01-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Actually, no, it's a NO ... I would pay more money to one of the paint masters on the forum, because I know from past experience that I'll be 100% happy with the results.

I'd have to see the improvements being offered before I'd say yes ... that being said, if I could get those same kind of results that I'm already paying for .. THEN it would be a yes.

???WHAT???

jimbo5905
01-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I have often wondered if statue's from other companies (HH, DST, etc...) generally have superior paint jobs than Bowen's stuff, or is this a problem across the board....what does Randy think about this?? I don't like the idea of having to pay more for something that should be right and professionally done anyway....

ant-man
01-26-2007, 08:01 PM
...ok...ok...i get it..it seems the people have spoken....

HoldyourfireAl
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Is it?

Alex655321
01-26-2007, 10:09 PM
we shouldnt have to pay extra for something that should be done from the get go.

Ditto

HalJordanFan
01-26-2007, 11:13 PM

Statement of the day!! :thumbs2:

SeegRooster
01-26-2007, 11:21 PM

I agree.
That being said, I haven't had any problems.

spider-man
01-26-2007, 11:30 PM

too bad your problem is the sculpts and not the paint huh.:laugh:

lord odin
01-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Is it?
I think so.

lord odin
01-27-2007, 01:40 AM
too bad your problem is the sculpts and not the paint huh.:laugh:

I don`t have a problem with either and Hard Hero QC is the best.
How many posts have you seen about breakage, spotty paint jobs,foam inserts not curing,scale all over the place?:)

HoldyourfireAl
01-27-2007, 04:38 AM
I think so.

Do ya?

HoldyourfireAl
01-27-2007, 04:38 AM
How many posts have you seen about breakage, spotty paint jobs,foam inserts not curing,scale all over the place?:)

Really?

boondocksaint
01-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Really?

did ya?

Underdog07
01-27-2007, 05:47 AM

Whi;e I have all the HH [pieces and enjoy them, impkying that their sculpts have reached a level of utopian nirvana is untrue. First, can we say sample size? Its what 11 statues v. 300+ busts/statues? And if memory serves there have been complaints about HH's Hawkeye's hands, Cap's heights, Thor's height, Hulk's head, Avenger's bases etc.

This is a general comment and not directed to LO's specific post: I am open to everyone having their opinions and expressing them, especially in a constructive manner, but in the past 6 months multiple forum members seem to only submit negative posts in the BD section. In fact about 3 months ago it got so bad that I did not even visit the section because it seemed to be nothing more then borderline hate-mongering (OK that's extreme). What I want to ask is, if you despise all that is Bowen, why do you visit the section about their pieces? Is it a strange fascination like poking an open sore to see if it still hurts? And honestly, if you do not intend to buy a Bowen piece, I don't care how you think it should have been tweaked, painted, left alone, chromed, priced, packaged, shipped, painted in this country, not made an exclusive etc. because it seems the motivation for the criticism is to get a reaction and not to solve/cure a problem.

snappahead
01-27-2007, 07:31 AM

Yeah, me too. HH does a great job with their paint apps. Very consistent and clean. I've got a Bowen friend and I've seen alot of the Bowen mini busts. One of the biggest turn offs are the paint apps. Either sloppy or sometimes just odd choices. I like how HH lets the sculpt create the shadows instead of having darker paint tones rendered on the sculpt like alot of Bowen stuff. DTS is much worse about that than Bowen is.

If I collected Bowen, I'd be willing to pay more for clean paint apps. Keep in mind, I'm not ragging on Bowen products. Most of the time the paints are ok. Having said all that, I'll be buying the Bowen Classic Hulk instead of HH's. Randy just did a beautiful job on that.

Collection King 13
01-27-2007, 11:11 AM

What she said!

lord odin
01-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Whi;e I have all the HH [pieces and enjoy them, impkying that their sculpts have reached a level of utopian nirvana is untrue. First, can we say sample size? Its what 11 statues v. 300+ busts/statues? And if memory serves there have been complaints about HH's Hawkeye's hands, Cap's heights, Thor's height, Hulk's head, Avenger's bases etc.

This is a general comment and not directed to LO's specific post: I am open to everyone having their opinions and expressing them, especially in a constructive manner, but in the past 6 months multiple forum members seem to only submit negative posts in the BD section. In fact about 3 months ago it got so bad that I did not even visit the section because it seemed to be nothing more then borderline hate-mongering (OK that's extreme). What I want to ask is, if you despise all that is Bowen, why do you visit the section about their pieces? Is it a strange fascination like poking an open sore to see if it still hurts? And honestly, if you do not intend to buy a Bowen piece, I don't care how you think it should have been tweaked, painted, left alone, chromed, priced, packaged, shipped, painted in this country, not made an exclusive etc. because it seems the motivation for the criticism is to get a reaction and not to solve/cure a problem.
I collect BD,HH as well as others and all I can say is out of all the companies i`ve never had a problem with Hard Hero or Sideshow maybe it`s because I have less pieces from them or i`m just lucky whatever i`m just glad.
Also what I like is knowing when I order something based on pics when I get it i`d expect it to look like the pic not changed.

HoldyourfireAl
01-27-2007, 02:32 PM
did ya?

You betcha!

HoldyourfireAl
01-27-2007, 02:33 PM

Nice post :)

HoldyourfireAl
01-27-2007, 02:34 PM
I collect BD,HH as well as others and all I can say is out of all the companies i`ve never had a problem with Hard Hero or Sideshow maybe it`s because I have less pieces from them or i`m just lucky whatever i`m just glad.
Also what I like is knowing when I order something based on pics when I get it i`d expect it to look like the pic not changed.

What Bowens have you collected?

lord odin
01-27-2007, 02:54 PM
What Bowens have you collected?

I was a completist of MB up to Sandman.
I have FS of magneto,storm,logan,dr.doom,juggernaut,sabretooth,ghost rider,grey im,gold im,modern im,thanos,silver surfer,modern captain america,coh thor,mr.fantastic,human torch,thing,invisible woman,clear invisible woman,galactus.
These are off the top of my head so just because I like Hard Hero more than Bowen doesn`t mean I won`t collect from Bowen.:)

Underdog07
01-27-2007, 03:00 PM

I have 10 HH statues and have had no issues myself with breakage, packaging or paint. And I have no issues with teh sculpts themselves, but others have had the issues I listed.

Over the years I have purchased from BD direct, stores or other collectors approximately 275 Bowen pieces. I have never had an issue with breakage or packaging. And the only paint issue I have ever had was a smudge on Thanos.

I have purchased 2 Sideshow products direct from SS. Both arrived broken.

lord odin
01-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I have 10 HH statues and have had no issues myself with breakage, packaging or paint. And I have no issues with teh sculpts themselves, but others have had the issues I listed.

Over the years I have purchased from BD direct, stores or other collectors approximately 275 Bowen pieces. I have never had an issue with breakage or packaging. And the only paint issue I have ever had was a smudge on Thanos.

I have purchased 2 Sideshow products direct from SS. Both arrived broken.
Three is a charm.:thumbs2:

Underdog07
01-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, 3 is the Cap PF so I hope it arrives sound. And I'm getting some Hulks via 2ndary sources and I hope they are A-OK.

HoldyourfireAl
01-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I was a completist of MB up to Sandman.
I have FS of magneto,storm,logan,dr.doom,juggernaut,sabretooth,ghost rider,grey im,gold im,modern im,thanos,silver surfer,modern captain america,coh thor,mr.fantastic,human torch,thing,invisible woman,clear invisible woman,galactus.
These are off the top of my head so just because I like Hard Hero more than Bowen doesn`t mean I won`t collect from Bowen.:)

Did you purchase any Bowen MBs or FSs in 2006?

lord odin
01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Did you purchase any Bowen MBs or FSs in 2006?

Super Skrull,Terrax,The Destroyer,White Elektra (I sold) no statues.
I plan on getting Annihilus

HoldyourfireAl
01-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Super Skrull,Terrax,The Destroyer,White Elektra (I sold) no statues.
I plan on getting Annihilus

Anything coming up that interests you?

lord odin
01-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Anything coming up that interests you?
Statue action pose Captain America
Bust Black Knight

HoldyourfireAl
01-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Statue action pose Captain America
Bust Black Knight

OK. Good to know you still have an interest. :thumbs2:

Roguewarrior
01-28-2007, 02:56 AM
I have not had near the trouble that some of you have had. Some of the paint has faded or bleached from the packaging but not ever had chipping or other similar issues that I have heard about on this forum. so I guess I would have to say no. Besides I am pretty sure that one could pay 50 or 100 bucks more and there still would be issues. There is just too many steps involved. the Statue collectors are some of the most fussiest people that I know.

Tattoo-X
01-28-2007, 03:02 AM
I've only had a few problems. It's more of a painting/painter problem than the actual paint.
I've stuck a couple in the oven to bake on some sculpty without any problems. Bucky held up for quite awhile when I torch him in a fire.:eplus2:

So I voted no. Prices are already going up as it is.

CaptCracker
01-28-2007, 05:45 AM
No, unless the pieces are painted in the U.S.

Jameshowlett
01-30-2007, 05:32 PM

I totally agree with you.We pay enough as it is now for a FS.

I'm still not sure why it seems like most of the FS that are released are well over 150.00.Why is that?

BadLuv
01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
The paint fine.

ant-man
01-30-2007, 09:19 PM
wow...this thread still kicken i see......:)

Jack8022
01-31-2007, 11:18 AM
The paint jobs aren't that bad overall IMO. I have to say the only pieces I've had that I really wasn't happy with the paintjobs were:
- the Taskmaster (which was returned and replaced)
- the Scarlet Witch (on the hair and the line where the body meets the cape)
- Gladiator (who should've been purple instead of blue)

3 out of approx 100 pieces isn't too bad.

Primal
01-31-2007, 11:43 AM
The paintjobs are fine. These things are expensive enough as it is that I'd leave them the way they are to avoid paying more.

So sometimes something is "off". Big deal.

HoldyourfireAl
01-31-2007, 01:35 PM
This thread needs to die. It pisses real Bowen fans off & is absolutely ridiculous. That's my final thought on this stupid subject. Flame away!