PDA

View Full Version : Statue or the character?

Prosser
02-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Simply put, which is the deciding factor for you? Do you buy because you like the charactor or because you like the statue and/or bust?

Until recently I kept with characters that I liked. But Randy's new Thor statue has changed that. I've never been a Thor 'fan' but I believe this statue, based on pre-production pics, will be incredible and a must have. It will be the first statue I get without ever having read any of the characters' books.

HoldyourfireAl
02-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Character mostly...exceptions...1st appearance Punisher & hopefully Deathlok!

Alex655321
02-01-2007, 03:52 AM
Great question!

I was never a big Scorpion Fan but I brought it because the sculpt looked incredible.

Now Mysterio I always hated, but the more pics I see the more I like it.
Absolutely Stunning work. I may wind up picking this up because of the sculpt.

HoldyourfireAl
02-01-2007, 04:24 AM
I agree about Scorpion!

Mastermold
02-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Both for me -- I won't buy a crap statue of a character I like, and will sometimes buy a great statue of a character I don't have much interest in. Obviously the best scenario is a great statue of a character I like. :D

Tattoo-X
02-01-2007, 04:42 AM
I've bought for the look of the statue, and I've bought for the character.
I've passed on characters I wanted because of the way the statue looked.

PaNdeM0niuM
02-01-2007, 05:12 AM
statue for me.

My favourite characters are storm, wolverine, magneto.
But I don't own any of their statues because they look BLAH !!!!

boobhound
02-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Character only for me. If I don't care for the character why get it?

risingstar
02-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Character mostly (with a good looking sculpt)... however, I have purchased some statues over the years because the sculpt looked amazing (even if I knew little if anything about the character), e.g., Koto's Guin statue, Moore Action's Magdalena, Witchblade, and Vampirella. I recently preordered the Kiara for the same reason.

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
02-01-2007, 06:02 AM
I only look at the sculpt. If it is great piece of artwork, I consider buying it, even if I don't know anything about the character. It was the case for the Soulfire Grace statue even if I never had read any comics about her.
I don't buy a statue of a character I like if the sculpt is not at the required level for me. A bad paint job can be an issue for me. But if I really like the sculpt, I can consider having it repainted.

Sgt Taz
02-01-2007, 06:07 AM
It has always and only been about the character for me.........untill I bought the Sideshow Doom (wich I wasnt into). I was so blown away by the sculpt my whole view changed. From then on I looked at both equaly.

Zemo55
02-01-2007, 06:53 AM
I've bought for the look of the statue, and I've bought for the character.
I've passed on characters I wanted because of the way the statue looked.

This sums it up for me as well.

deaconbluezzz
02-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Both for me as well...with stronger emphasis on the character. I've gotta like the character first, then I've got to like the sculpt. Michelangelo himself could sculpt the most stunning Cable statue ever...but I couldn't care less about owning it.

chromesamurai
02-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Most of the time, the character is more important for me. Occasionally, though, an amazing sculpt will sell me on a piece where I'm not too interested in the character. See, for example, Tigra, Destroyer, Frankie Raye Nova, etc...

cougartrace
02-01-2007, 09:31 AM
character for me with a few exceptions.

JSA
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Both, but mostly the look of the Statue.

I have the Kabuki Statue, but I know next to nothing about the character.
I also have the She-Dragon statue which I also know not much about.
I just love the look of both of them, irregardless of their origins.

Same thing with the new CS Moore Kull. I know zero about Kull's storyline, but
the statue looks absolutely amazing, so I'll be adding one to my collection.

Character is important in some cases to me such as Hulk. I've got many Hulk statues,
but I still won't buy a Hulk statue that I don't like visually, just because I love that character.

I've never preferred the Shifflett/Bowen original Hulk, as it just doesn't do it for me on a
visual basis, but I've got the new Bowen Hulk because I just love the looks of it.

Looks of the statue over character rules for me.

JS

Deadpool
02-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Both, as I have never been a big Comic Reader aside from Spidey. :) I just read up a bit on the Charachters, and see if I find em interesting. But it is definitely based on both for me!

lovemunkey187
02-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Character mostly, couple of exceptions being the grey Moon Knight and Doctor Strange(which arrived this morning:buttrock: ) F/S's.

Ish
02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
it's a mix of both for me now, at least i'm trying to keep it that way.

i try to collect the charactrs i like and are good sculpts, will not get a character i have little intrest on but is a good sculpt, or the other way around.

Jack8022
02-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Mostly it's the character for me but if I don't like the sculpt, I pass (ex: Wolverine FS). If the sculpt is really cool but I'm so-so on the character, it gets consideration as well.

loccio
02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
both for me
:)

Spawn75
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
both for me
:)

lord odin
02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Character.

patrickwm68
02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Hmmmm, I'd say a little of both. I'm always selling off statues when a better version on the character comes out.

CessnaDriver
02-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Gotta at least like the character.
Not have to be a total devotee to the character or anything.
If a status is impressive to me and I at least like the character.
Ill break out the credit card.

Sniper
02-01-2007, 11:47 AM
statue for me.

My favourite characters are storm, wolverine, magneto.
But I don't own any of their statues because they look BLAH !!!!

I thought the bowen storm and magneto are top knotch
the attakus wolverine is awesome, I think you need to re-evaluate you're standards:confused:

Raven1014
02-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Both for me also.

I'm no fan of Thor, yet I have the Battle Armor mini-bust, the 1602 mini statue and have pre ordered the new full size. For whatever reason it is, I just like the way all of these sculptures came out.

At the same time, I'm a huge X-Men fan, but find myself passing up some of the mini-busts because I see some of them and I have no reaction when I see them.

Makkari1
02-01-2007, 12:24 PM
This is a mixed bag for me, like most posters on this thread. On one hand character dirves a purchase while on the other a good sculpt could reel me in as well and if both occur than its a home run for me. I have the unfortunate habit of liking characters that are obscure or not mainstream and I would love to have them made. When characters like the Destroyer and Gladiator are made I will buy them regardless of how the sculpt turns out. When a great sculpt is done on a character that I like (Perna's Destroyer) then that's a grand slam.

Some sculpts reel me in like Bowen's Juggernaut, which is a damn good sculpt. Juggs is one of those guys, while a good villian, not real high on my list of characters to own, but Randy & Co. did such a good job on him I had to have him. While some sculpts disappoint, I'll buy them because that's my guy (had high hopes for Gladiator) and hope that Randy & Co. do a new and better version of that character. An example of this is the 1st Bowen Thor release, although a good sculpt, I would never buy it because I didn't like it. Randy went back and did a retake on Thor and made a better statue which I plan to buy. I guess in the end a lot of factors are considered when buying a statue.

jimbo5905
02-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I try to be a completeist as much as possible, but that doesn't mean that there aren't certain pieces that I get more excited about than others....like a KLAW possiblility, for example!!!

SD RUM
02-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I usually pick up a piece because I think it looks amazing. I am huge Marvel fan so I like so many characters. I only collect Bowen so most of their pieces come out really good. A few disappointments have been the Gladiator and Elektra bust.

armitage
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Since I only have so much money, I have to use my devotion to a character to base my statue buying on.

endsongjen
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
character for me, theres been a few i didnt get cuz i didnt like the way it was done though.

HalJordanFan
02-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Both. If a character that I'm on the fence about has a great sculpt then thats enough to put me over the edge and I'll buy it. Vice Versa on characters that I like. If it's a mediocre statue on characters I like then I'll pass.

spider-man
02-01-2007, 12:48 PM
charachter first but if the sculpt is awesome then I'll get it. That's why I got the new thor sculpt, it's amazing! The detail is great and I'm not the biggest thor fan .

BOWEN NUT
02-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Good question. I'd have to say character until this past summer when I got the chance to pick up the white Moon Knight statue. I jumped at the chance and I'm glad I did. I love that statue. :buttrock:

JLM
02-01-2007, 01:03 PM
9 times out of 10, it's character.

I will make occasional exceptions for a cool sculpt where I'm not too bothered about the character, such as Jim Maddox's outstanding Tigra MB and quite possibly the forthcoming Wasp.

I will pass if its a sculpt I don't like of a character I do like.

Hall of Justice
02-01-2007, 01:21 PM
There are characters that I buy regardless of the sculpt, but there have been several busts that I bought simply beacuse of the sculpt.

BOSCO
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
A bit of both, but most of the time i`d go with the statue.There are a lot of characters in the Marvel universe i wouldn`t have a clue about but if it looks the business i`ll get it.

HalJordanFan
02-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm not down with Spidey's villians normally, but I love the Scorpion FS thats out right now. That's where I buy on statue rather than character.

SirConor
02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Character matters 100%.

giro
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
for me its a combination of both if i dont know the character to well but its a great sculpt i will get

Equinox24
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Man-thing was a prime example for me. I have no interest in the character at all, but the sculpt was incredible and could've been the deciding factor, but the lack of interest in the character was more so, so I passed.

Dr. Strange, another great sculpt, even with the Reed Richards neck, but passed on that one again due to lack of interest. So the character would seem to weigh heavier than the sculpt.

Black Bolt is an example of the opposite. Have always really liked Black Bolt, but I'm not real crazy about the statue (or at least the pose/current picture), but I'll probably get it anyway.

If it were a complete unknown, and the sculpt was great, I would probably buy it if it was a good look. Someone started a run of statues that were just thought up and created. One of them looked like a praying mantis holding a sword, and it was very well done. Would've bought it, but never saw it solicited anywhere.

HoldyourfireAl
02-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Most of the time, the character is more important for me. Occasionally, though, an amazing sculpt will sell me on a piece where I'm not too interested in the character. See, for example, Tigra, Destroyer, Frankie Raye Nova, etc...

I agree about the Destroyer!

Achiever
02-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I have to really love the character to buy a FS. My space is limited, so I need to maximize it. MB, on the other hand, I'll pick up on a whim. If it looks cool and I have a passing interest in the character, I'll probably pick it up.

Ink
02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
both