PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever go out & buy a comic because of a Bowen statue?

HoldyourfireAl
02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
For example, my sister had an issue of "Night Rider" when we were little kids. I always loved the cover, but didn't know much about the character. When Bowen released him as "The Original Ghost Rider", I flipped & had to by the whole Night Rider reprint series on Ebay! I love that mb! I'd love a FS of him on his horse!

Another character I never read issues of is Deathlok, but I was always fascinated by his look as a kid. All this talk of Bowen doing one has me getting restless to pick up the back issues!

Anyone else have similar stories?

riderV3
02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I always buy good covers to go with my BD bust.
Just found the issue that B.A.Thor bust was based on and bought it, it goes very well with the bust.
Sometimes I would get into the series and got them all, it happens occasionally.

'Nuff
02-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Guilty...I had to find the 1st issue of the original Ghost Rider when the bust came out...X-Men #10 when I ordered Kazar...Avengers #'s 1...4 and 17 for several pieces...And Tomb of Dracula #1 for the other brands upcoming statue...Just between you and me...I bought a Sgt. Fury #1 too...HINT:thumbs2:

Underdog07
02-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Nope. Interesting to read about others doing this though.

Ink
02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
I haven't

GoldNova
02-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Another character I never read issues of is Deathlok, but I was always fascinated by his look as a kid. All this talk of Bowen doing one has me getting restless to pick up the back issues!

I highly recommend the original series from Astonishing Tales. Loved the story. Loved the character. Hated how little Marvel actually did with him. He had great potential. But Marvel dropped the ball with him. (I could say the same about the Taskmaster too.)

pmpknface
02-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I highly recommend the original series from Astonishing Tales. Loved the story. Loved the character. Hated how little Marvel actually did with him. He had great potential. But Marvel dropped the ball with him. (I could say the same about the Taskmaster too.)
Ans - No. I collected them all already. ;)

FYI - Taskmaster was just in MOON KNIGHT and CABLE & DEADPOOL. I also think he's going ot show up again somewhere soon.

Rome
02-01-2007, 05:38 PM
For me it's the opposite, when I look at comics today I'm so discusted I rush to buy a Bowen statue just to keep my sanity:banghead: :laugh:

Makkari1
02-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Nope, I've been reading comics long before they decided to start making toys. Right now I'm living a dream because as a kid, I only wished someone would have made all this stuff into toys that I could play with. Now that I've out grown toys I've moved on to statues.

The kids nowadays have no idea or real appreciation in the times that they live in. I didn't have any of the stuff kids get to play with and enjoy. I literally grew with just a stick and a ball to play with. Now you can go down to the local Walmart or Toys R Us and buy all your favorite heroes and even get them on video games.

BadLuv
02-01-2007, 06:41 PM
No, but an interesting question....

Cage
02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Yes. I have read comics all of my life, but there are some characters that I have never had interest in. Some of the sculpts are so good that I felt like I had to buy then and so I had to at least know something about the characters. The two that come to mind most readily are Union Jack and Captain Britian. The already released Union Jack is simply one of the best looking mini's that I own, and the previews of Captain Britain are so sweet that I wanted to find out more.

C. Bormann
02-01-2007, 06:51 PM
The best example I could give is that I never heard of HELLBOY before seeing the mini bust on the BD web site. I bought the bust because I thought it was interesting, then I bought some back issues of the character.

The same thing can be said about a lot of the MARVEL line that BD is producing now. I grew up mostly on DC characters. I knew of MARVELS main character line, but I am slowly being introduced to 2nd and 3rd tier characters, through busts that are being released. (Example FIN FANG FOOM)

Underdog07
02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Nope, I've been reading comics long before they decided to start making toys. Right now I'm living a dream because as a kid, I only wished someone would have made all this stuff into toys that I could play with. Now that I've out grown toys I've moved on to statues.

The kids nowadays have no idea or real appreciation in the times that they live in. I didn't have any of the stuff kids get to play with and enjoy. I literally grew with just a stick and a ball to play with. Now you can go down to the local Walmart or Toys R Us and buy all your favorite heroes and even get them on video games.

Great points. As a kid I had Megos. Then they released those Secret Wars figures but I never bought any as I was too old. My son is going to be spoiled rotten with action figures if he is interetested in them.

I have bought a couple of the "toys" for myself over the years, they just never really appealed to me and I end up not displaying them. Statues/busts on the other hand are great to display (and I think easier to display then figures)

lord odin
02-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Nope.

patrickwm68
02-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Just the opposite for me. Would love a statue of the current Manhunter.

Alex655321
02-01-2007, 10:10 PM
not me

Justin
02-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Nope.

not me.

Same here

High Lord Apocalypse
02-02-2007, 12:30 AM
no

HoldyourfireAl
02-02-2007, 01:43 AM

I had Megos & Micronauts! I still love 'em!

Dj-B13
02-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Yep I have. I got a good cover of the Inhumans Displayed with my Inhumans section of my busts :thumbs2:

chromesamurai
02-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Tasky also is apparently in the Thunderbolts team.

And if you have not read the 4-issue Taskmaster mini series, and are a fan of the character and some of his later appearances (Deadpool, Cable/Deadpool) do yourself a favor and track it down.

saku93
02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Deadpool. I starting reading Cable and Deadpool, which is quite funny. i love me some dark humor.

Collection King 13
02-02-2007, 12:32 PM
no

Same here

not me

Nope.

Nope. Interesting to read about others doing this though.

I haven't

My answer is the same as all the girls above... :D

Primal
02-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I got interested in picking up some FFF books because of the mb. :D

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3558/fffxa0.jpg http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8058/fffcomicszm7.jpg

wolverinejedi007
02-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Nope!

whd
02-02-2007, 02:11 PM
So far I only pick up sculpts of characters because of reading their comics, not the other way around.

Closetnerd
02-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Nope, but I did go buy the comic that went with my Neal Adams Batman piece...... Great litho and a great comic!!

http://i9.tinypic.com/4cdfuzc.jpg

hungrydaddy
02-03-2007, 02:03 AM
I picked up the FFF marvel monsters book and a too much coffee man book because of them. But thats it.

Volstagg
02-03-2007, 12:47 PM
I went back and got some more of Mr. Monster trades because the bust reminded me of Gilbert's great work.