PDA

View Full Version : ORIGINAL ART or PRINTS?

moon_knight1971
02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Help me guys! I'm think of displaying my statues and busts with framed art work behind or above them. I see that some original art can be had at cons etc. from about $20 from artists trying to get in the field. The problem with orig. art is that its usually pretty rough and not colored AND you have to be at the con. I've seen some very nice prints for about $10 that are signed and colored. What is the general attitude towards prints for those that collect art?

galactus
02-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Completely different animals (IMO). Original Art = Statues. Prints = Action Figures.

Logan
02-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Completely different animals (IMO). Original Art = Statues. Prints = Action Figures.

It all depends what kind of print it is really.

moon_knight1971
02-27-2007, 06:58 PM

Nice analogy LOL!

McHaleyArt
02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
You should commission color artist renderings of your statues. That would be cool!

snappahead
02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree with Galactus' analogy. But..if your'e going cheap ($10-20), then I say prints. Your'e not going to get much bang for your buck in OA with $20. You can get very nice prints $20 though.

risingstar
02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Prints, lithos, giclees... some are actually beauties. Unless you're prepared to spend 30K on a Ross splash, giclees or canvas are the way to go.

'Nuff
02-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I agree with Galactus' analogy. But..if your'e going cheap ($10-20), then I say prints. Your'e not going to get much bang for your buck in OA with $20. You can get very nice prints $20 though.

:thumbs2:

Sniper
02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
I have some print and I have to say there is something great about having original art, it puts a smile to my face when I know I am the only one who has this particular art . If you want to get into prints there are a ton of great lithos which are nice and look great when you frame them. To boot there are sellers that have them signed by the artist which gives it a special touch to them

Primal
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I'd go with prints. Love the colors & finished look that they have.

Original art from cons a lot of the time just looks very simple, plain & incomplete. And you know the effort put into them is very miniscule.

I dont mean ALL the time...but most.

armitage
02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
The problem is that original art takes time. Time=money and materials.
What an artist chooses to charge for their time,materials and effort defines that artist.
Some people don't like the prices I quote, but I didn't accumulate a $30,000 school loan for fun. I'm a professional artist, and professional artists are growing on trees. If you can get an artist to do a job for $50 when I'd quote a project for $300, great....by all means do so. There are many other clients who'll approve my initial quote. They know that in the end you get what you pay for. And really good artists who underprice eventually suffer for it.
Competitive pricing is fine but if you sell yourself short, you'll never make it.

batman1180
02-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Prints all the way.

Perna
02-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Original Art!!!!!

moon_knight1971
02-28-2007, 01:31 AM
I have a few signed prints and they look much better than original most con sketches I have seen. I'm also looking at some original art by people I don't even know but the pieces look great too. What to do? Where do most of you guys go for original art or prints BESIDES cons?

snappahead
02-28-2007, 01:53 AM
There's a big difference between regular OA and con sketches. Con sketches aren't suppose to be masterpieces...ok Adam Hughes' sketches are, but for the most part, they're meant to be simple. Commissions or published art will be alot better, but cost alot more. If your'e simply looking for an image that you like to display, then only you can choose which is better. Just like with OA, there's cheap prints and expensive ones. For original art I'd say try here http://www.comicartfans.com/

To the left is a bunch of links to dealer sites and there's a ton of art for sale in the "art for sale" section at the top. It's a great site and the best place I can think of to start.

endsongjen
02-28-2007, 03:05 PM
i always get prints. the only original stuff i have is from armi!!! :)

moon_knight1971
02-28-2007, 03:27 PM
There's a big difference between regular OA and con sketches. Con sketches aren't suppose to be masterpieces...ok Adam Hughes' sketches are, but for the most part, they're meant to be simple. Commissions or published art will be alot better, but cost alot more. If your'e simply looking for an image that you like to display, then only you can choose which is better. Just like with OA, there's cheap prints and expensive ones. For original art I'd say try here http://www.comicartfans.com/

To the left is a bunch of links to dealer sites and there's a ton of art for sale in the "art for sale" section at the top. It's a great site and the best place I can think of to start.

Thanks snappahead! I'll check it out....

TheJoker
02-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Help me guys! I'm think of displaying my statues and busts with framed art work behind or above them. I see that some original art can be had at cons etc. from about $20 from artists trying to get in the field. The problem with orig. art is that its usually pretty rough and not colored AND you have to be at the con. I've seen some very nice prints for about $10 that are signed and colored. What is the general attitude towards prints for those that collect art?

Prints are NOT original art and if you want to display the convention art by all means display.... i think having the orginal art and displaying it next to a statue is a pretty cool concept... but stay away from prints and your statues... the only exception i would have to say to this Giclee's cause those are nice so if you have any i would display my statues under said character/s:thumbs2:

armitage
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
i always get prints. the only original stuff i have is from armi!!! :)

See, here's someone who can appreciate real art!:buttrock:

boondocksaint
02-28-2007, 07:22 PM
i want thet brooks mary jane print! anyone help me!!!!!

endsongjen
02-28-2007, 07:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/11X17-SEXY-MARY-JANE-PRINT-LINGERIE-SPIDER-MAN-BROOKS_W0QQitemZ140017785805QQcmdZViewItem

boonie did u see this?

endsongjen
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
See, here's someone who can appreciate real art!:buttrock:

maybe idk what real art is but maybe its cuz i have an online crush on you :rolleyes2 :)