PDA

View Full Version : When did comic covers lose their hook?

VaultMan
03-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I remember the old days of the comic bok cover. It gave you a glimpe of what the inside read was going to be like (I'd put some images up but I'm still a photobucket novice). There used to be dialogue on the cover, they were great! the one that resonates with me still to this day is the one with Iron Man choking Spider-Man and him saying, "Sorry Webslinger, but you've got to DIE!" (a slice of pie to whoever knows this issue and can post a pic, I forgot the issue number)

What a lost art!

When did the comic book cover become a mere poster and art display, and less of a hook to get the reader? I miss the old days...:bawling:

Tattoo-S
03-12-2007, 12:28 PM
When did the comic book cover become a mere poster and art display, and less of a hook to get the reader? I miss the old days...:bawling:

Unfortunately for me it was a combo thing, it's that they made the cover all to flashy, it overplayed the work inside, and began costing $3 + an issue. :( I say bring back the days when the cover knabbed your curiosity and made you want to buy it not matter what the cost! I have not felt that in years. :thumbsdow

Tetragrammaton
03-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Marvel Team-Up vol I, No. 49 (Sept 76)

(Man, Tony's been a jerk for a while now)

http://i15.tinypic.com/2cffon6.jpg

Roguewarrior
03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I remember the old days of the comic bok cover. It gave you a glimpe of what the inside read was going to be like (I'd put some images up but I'm still a photobucket novice). There used to be dialogue on the cover, they were great! the one that resonates with me still to this day is the one with Iron Man choking Spider-Man and him saying, "Sorry Webslinger, but you've got to DIE!" (a slice of pie to whoever knows this issue and can post a pic, I forgot the issue number)

What a lost art!

When did the comic book cover become a mere poster and art display, and less of a hook to get the reader? I miss the old days...

There was a time I can almost point it out, but there use to be a time where covers had all sorts of writing on it. Then one month came and there was almost no writing on the covers. It remained that way for quite a few years. Now they are back to a little writing on the covers but still it is all flash and nothing content very worthy.

JDH
03-12-2007, 12:56 PM
It was about the time that logos stopped being hand drawn, and turned into soulless Photoshop jobs.

Aarrgghh!!
03-12-2007, 01:02 PM
This is a huge issue for me. I'm tired of covers of shots of the characters from below, above, straight on rushing at me. I've read interviews where Joey Q states he's infavor of "iconic" covers instead of those refering to what's goning on in the book. The covers I really like and make me pick up the book tell a story themselves and not a "poster shot". It seems DC has followed the lead on this.

bat_collector
03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
IT probably began with the rise of "cover" artists, those who specialized in creating iconic images but who really aren';t that great in full story arcs. Then when the comic company realized they got more interest hiring these guys for the covers than doing hte regular artist.

And don't forget this is a different era. Kids aren't impressed by those silver age covers, and some adults expect something different now adays. The industry seems to be adapting to the changes.

JDH
03-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Did everyone see the wonderful Romita Jr DD 94 cover? So much better than all the other covers on the rack, in terms of art, design, everything.

http://www.popcultureshock.com/2006/41062/41062_1.jpg

RichBamf
03-12-2007, 01:45 PM
A couple of titles that still have great covers that aren't just 'poster images'

Walking Dead
Fables
Y: the Last Man
Captain America
Daredevil
Astonishing X-Men

A coincidence that these are some of the best comics being produced a the moment? I think not.

Teague
03-12-2007, 01:48 PM
A couple of titles that still have great covers that aren't just 'poster images'

Walking Dead
Fables
Captain America
Daredevil
Astonishing X-Men

A coincidence that these are some of the best comics being produced a the moment? I think not.

Good point, Rich.

I hate the "iconic cover" thing. At least on a regular basis. The iconic covers meant something when they were produced back in the day. The month-to-month stuff was indicative of what was inside the book. That's the way it should be.

This move towards iconic covers is just another example of how there can be no "regular" issues anymore. Everything has to be a g'd@mn event all the freaking time.

JDH
03-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Walking Dead
Fables
Captain America
Daredevil
Astonishing X-Men

The Fables covers are purty, even if it's sometimes next-to-impossible to work out what they are supposed to be showing.

Aarrgghh!!
03-12-2007, 01:55 PM
IT probably began with the rise of "cover" artists, those who specialized in creating iconic images but who really aren';t that great in full story arcs. Then when the comic company realized they got more interest hiring these guys for the covers than doing hte regular artist.

I think this is more a fact now than in the past. One of DC's best cover artist was Neal Adams and his covers usually had some story hook to it that made you pick it off the rack and look at it, even if he didn't do the interiors.

http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/97/400/97_4_000000364.jpg

RichBamf
03-12-2007, 01:56 PM
The Fables covers are purty, even if it's sometimes next-to-impossible to work out what they are supposed to be showing.

True, but not as good as the Y covers. I just love the symbolism in some of them.

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/99243838939.5.gif

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/99243838939.23.gif

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/99243838939.25.gif

RichBamf
03-12-2007, 01:57 PM
By the way thye only thing I used to hate about the old covers were the speech bubbles.

I always thought the image should be enough to sell the comic, you didn't need a blurb for the front cover.

VaultMan
03-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Aaaaaah! Beautiful Tet, well done! I'll put your pie in an envelope and send it right over...!:thumbs2:

VaultMan
03-12-2007, 02:05 PM
True, but not as good as the Y covers. I just love the symbolism in some of them.

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/99243838939.5.gif

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/99243838939.23.gif

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/99243838939.25.gif

These are definitely exotic covers, and worthy of mention, but hardly a throwbackto a bygone era. And Daredevil is in the same vein as Y and Fables. Well painted, and beautiful, but hardly a cover (for Daredevil issues) that makes me want to pick it up and read it.

RichBamf
03-12-2007, 02:10 PM
These are definitely exotic covers, and worthy of mention, but hardly a throwbackto a bygone era. And Daredevil is in the same vein as Y and Fables. Well painted, and beautiful, but hardly a cover (for Daredevil issues) that makes me want to pick it up and read it.

But if you don't move with the times, you stagnate and die.

Although I appreciate the old covers, and count many (including Avengers 100) among my favourites, those covers wouldn't make me want to read a title.

When I see Speechbubbles all over the cover, it not only gives too much away sometimes, but it also insults my intelligence-I'll understand the story when I read it, I don't need a dumbed down sum-up.

We obviously have opposing views on this buddy:thumbs2:

whd
03-12-2007, 02:10 PM
This is a huge issue for me. I'm tired of covers of shots of the characters from below, above, straight on rushing at me. I've read interviews where Joey Q states he's infavor of "iconic" covers instead of those refering to what's goning on in the book. The covers I really like and make me pick up the book tell a story themselves and not a "poster shot". It seems DC has followed the lead on this.

I like the 'iconic' covers, but it would be nice to have a better mix of story inspired/related covers also. Maybe it's easier using some artists to get the iconic cover, because they need to start it so far in advance that the story has yet to be plotted. :confused2

RichBamf
03-12-2007, 02:11 PM
take for example, that Marvel team up cover...

Not only does it give away the plot, it tells you instantly who is in the wrong and who is being controlled.

whd
03-12-2007, 02:14 PM

That's an awesome cover! :buttrock:

Aarrgghh!!
03-12-2007, 02:33 PM
take for example, that Marvel team up cover...

Not only does it give away the plot, it tells you instantly who is in the wrong and who is being controlled.

...but shouldn't the cover serve as sort of a movie trailer/Poster? If the new Spider-man movie had a trailer of Spider-man singing for 2 minutes without anything else, who'd care? I do agree movie trailers like covers can give away the show.

JLM
03-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Did everyone see the wonderful Romita Jr DD 94 cover? So much better than all the other covers on the rack, in terms of art, design, everything.

http://www.popcultureshock.com/2006/41062/41062_1.jpg

This was a great cover. Really stood out on the rack at my LCS.

bat_collector
03-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I gotta agree with bamf. the speech bubbles are for a different era.

I think y, walkign dead, fables, astonishing, daredevil, and cap are the best covers around.

I liked bianchi's covers for batman, too!

VaultMan
03-12-2007, 02:49 PM

I think y, walkign dead, fables, astonishing, daredevil, and cap are the best covers around.

There's definitely something to be said for many of the current covers, dont get me wrong. I just miss the old covers, the kind that hinted at the action to come. I just seems that most covers now are designed just to highlight the character and have very little to do with the tale inside. I just thoroughly enjoyed the time/planning that clearly went into the covers of the past.

bat_collector
03-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I think some of the ultimate covers are the worst around.

JDH
03-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Ugh. The design for the Ultimate books is atrocious - cover layout limiting the art, logo design, those terrible character logos repeated down each side ruining what little style the bordered cover look actually gives. Truly awful. Far from looking modern and impressive, they look really dated and soulless, to use that word again. Truly a compelling argument for not judging books by their covers.

bane
03-12-2007, 03:16 PM
I kinda like the new look and the cover artists ,That way other art forms instead of pen and ink can be shown and the comic medium will be appreciated by more people and will be seen as today as a serious art form .

The old covers are still very nostalgic though !

Babytoxie
03-12-2007, 03:29 PM
One of my favorites:

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/53491064630.20.GIF

B_C, that's a good point about the "covers-only" artists. That could very well be the case. I don't care either way, but it sure was fun to get that tease from the spinner rack. Those covers had to give something exciting away to the kids for a big first impression. With older comic audiences, not so much.

Kirbyfan
03-12-2007, 03:32 PM
The Ultimate line of covers is pretty much the end of it for me. Look at Ultimate Spiderman. Every cover is basically the same. A lot of silver age stuff I've gone back and collected is basically just for the covers. Romita, Ditko, Kirby, Anderson. I doubt anyone will ever say that about Ultimate Spiderman.

RichBamf
03-12-2007, 03:36 PM
...but shouldn't the cover serve as sort of a movie trailer/Poster? If the new Spider-man movie had a trailer of Spider-man singing for 2 minutes without anything else, who'd care? I do agree movie trailers like covers can give away the show.

I see your point, but I think there's a way to show stuff without giving away the whole plot.

I read for the stories, and nothing intrigues me more than shocks and mystery. when you see something that tries to incorporate too much of the story into the cover it ruins the sense of wonder.

And don't get me started on film trailers, I remember the trailer to 'The Bone Collector' gave away who the killer was! :banghead:

RichBamf
03-12-2007, 03:37 PM

You even picked the same list!:thumbs2:

Roguewarrior
03-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Spiderman not so much but in general I agree. I do like the formate where the chapter and arch name is on the cover though.

In general though I am a fan of a comic cover looking like it did 15 or 20 years ago. I hate to think that part of the reason I am paying 3bucks a comic is that they paid someone a chunk of bills to make an extra special cover.

I remember use to being able to decide on the run whether I wanted a comic or not. Now I have to stand and look at it. Not just because of the cover art but because it may be a variant or a reprint with a different cover or a special edition of a comic. It seems like it is based on trickery to get me to buy a comic. And I hate that. I do not want (and dont buy) four versions of one comic. It is insanity side of the Capitalist ideal if you as me.

RichBamf
03-12-2007, 03:40 PM
The Ultimate line of covers is pretty much the end of it for me. Look at Ultimate Spiderman. Every cover is basically the same.

Yeah, that is the downside to the modern cover, what I call 'poster shot covers', garners no interest whatsoever.

you have to strike that happy medium, and be suggestive.

Hint at the story, don't give it away or distance yourself from it.

bat_collector
03-12-2007, 03:45 PM
look at civil war, the worst coers of all time. y ou ahd to buy the variants to get anything like a cover

JDH
03-12-2007, 03:47 PM
The Ultimate line of covers is pretty much the end of it for me. Look at Ultimate Spiderman. Every cover is basically the same. A lot of silver age stuff I've gone back and collected is basically just for the covers. Romita, Ditko, Kirby, Anderson. I doubt anyone will ever say that about Ultimate Spiderman.

Some of the covers break that mold - there's a great one with Venom, a recent one featuring Kitty Pryde's heart breaking, and a few more that reflect the interior story. But yes, I would imagine Mark Bagley is sick of thinking up new ways to draw Spider-Man posing...

JDH
03-12-2007, 03:48 PM
look at civil war, the worst coers of all time. y ou ahd to buy the variants to get anything like a cover

Weren't the variants mostly done by Turner? I'd call that nothing like a cover!

VaultMan
03-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Say what you like about the New Avengers issues with the Sentry, but I appreciate the variant covers that kind of looked like throwback covers to the Silver Age.