PDA

View Full Version : Arnold Drake - rest in peace

Babytoxie
03-12-2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2007_03_12.html#013083

:(

VaultMan
03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Definitely before my time, but his body of work makes him a legend.

Godspeed Mr. Drake.

patrickwm68
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I just saw him at the NY Comic Con. He looked reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally old.

Teague
03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Really enjoyed some of his stuff. It was interesting to see how his opinion of his Doom Patrol work changed over the years. But he was a great talent, and the comic world is poorer for his absence.

Gotta love the Drake. :thumbs2:

Babytoxie
03-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Here's a great quote from Rich Johnston's Lying in the Gutters column this week:

I first met Arnold Drake a couple of weeks ago at the New York Comic Con. He seemed frail, but hearty. I bought a Little Lulu sketch from him. We discussed his Doom Patrol and he told me that he believed only Grant Morrison ever saw in the team what he was trying to do.

That's an amazing statement, when you consider how crazy the comic became under Grant Morrison's tenure. I have always held Morrison's treatment of Doom Patrol in high regard, and this makes it even more so...:thumbs2:

Babytoxie
03-12-2007, 10:22 PM
oops delete

risingstar
03-12-2007, 10:25 PM
I just saw him at the NY Comic Con. He looked reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally old.

I met Martin Nodel at a Philly some years just before he died. I remember his wife saying to the crowd that he wasn't doing any sketches because he couldn't see (not that any of us asked anyway). I ran into Carmine Infantino later that day and he tried to get my wife to push Martin down the stairs. Bizarre sense of humor, that guy... lol