PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of picking up Essentials

Bullseye
03-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Been thinkging about starting with Spidey and hopefully pick them all up eventually. What are peoples impressions of these. Are they well made. I know the art work is B&W but i can live with that.

Teague
03-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Been thinkging about starting with Spidey and hopefully pick them all up eventually. What are peoples impressions of these. Are they well made. I know the art work is B&W but i can live with that.

I know some here swear by them, but with a few exceptions, the B&W really got to me. I sold off most of mine a while back.

The only ones I kept from Marvel were Conan and Marvel Team-Up (and that last one only because it was too beat up to sell...) Of DC's, I've only gotten Jonah Hex and Haunted Tank, since the B&W there doesn't seem to matter to me, for whatever reason.

Bullseye
03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Do they include every comic issue in sequence?

Teague
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM

To my knowledge, they do.

Bullseye
03-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Cheers T.

Teague
03-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Cheers T.

Glad to help. :thumbs2:

wktf
03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Bulls, I got passed the B&W pretty quickly and really came to enjoy them. I've picked up quite alot of them over the years and, yes, they do have all the issues sequentially. For the buck, it's a great value and you get a ton of content.

patrickwm68
03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
If they were in color I would have been on them in a second.

Teague
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
If they were in color I would have been on them in a second.

Me too--I just can't get past the lack of color for the Superhero books. I don't know what it is, but it's a problem for me.

If you can get past that, though, like wktf, then they're great. :thumbs2:

Bullseye
03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Bulls, I got passed the B&W pretty quickly and really came to enjoy them. I've picked up quite alot of them over the years and, yes, they do have all the issues sequentially. For the buck, it's a great value and you get a ton of content.

Thanks Joe. I think i will put an order in with Amazon.:thumbs2:

Bullseye
03-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Do you guys not enjoy reading the marvel strips in the newspaper. Theres a great run of Spidey currently running in one of the local papers here. B&W but still great.

patrickwm68
03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
One of the book store chains has exclusive rights to the Marvel Masterworks in softcover form and they're in color.

Teague
03-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Do you guys not enjoy reading the marvel strips in the newspaper. Theres a great run of Spidey currently running in one of the local papers here. B&W but still great.

I don't get the comic strips anymore, but when I used to read them I remember the art being cleaner for the strips, since they were going to be B&W. I could be wrong, but the color in comics (I think) tends to allow for depth and separation, and makes it less confusing to look at and decipher. When a strip is created, it's assumed in B&W, so the lines are cleaner, the backgrounds less complex. But turn a color-panel into B&W, and it starts to (or can) look muddy to me. Maybe it's just me, though.

Bullseye
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Just put in an order for ASM 1 - 7.

Teague
03-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Enjoy 'em, Bulls! :thumbs2:

Thing
03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I could't get past the B&W. I grew up reading these in color and thats how i want them again..

patrickwm68
03-12-2007, 08:15 PM

What issues do those reprint? I preordered to Amaz. Spidey Omnibus from Amazon and I know that's #1-38 + Amazing. Fant. #15 and some other stuff.

Teague
03-12-2007, 08:18 PM
What issues do those reprint? I preordered to Amaz. Spidey Omnibus from Amazon and I know that's #1-38 + Amazing. Fant. #15 and some other stuff.

I think Essentials 1-7 reprint issues 1-160 or so? Is that right? That's totally from memory, but I think that's right. Plus annuals and the like.

patrickwm68
03-12-2007, 08:20 PM
I think Essentials 1-7 reprint issues 1-160 or so? Is that right? That's totally from memory, but I think that's right. Plus annuals and the like.

Good deal, if only they were in color.

Teague
03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Good deal, if only they were in color.

Yeah...good deal even in B&W, but like I said, I had trouble reading them. They are a great resource, though.

protector2814
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I like 'em, but for the more obscure titles. I've picked up all The Tomb of Dracula, the Frankenstein, Nova, Devenders, Ghost Rider, Marvel 2 in 1...titles like that. Books that I was interested in but didn't warrant a $50, hardback master-series investment. I love them. You don't have to treat them with care cause they didn't cost a fortune. Throw them in the car for trips. Great way to catch up on the cool 70's stuff I missed or only read for a little while.

Babytoxie
03-12-2007, 09:39 PM
I know some here swear by them, but with a few exceptions, the B&W really got to me. I sold off most of mine a while back.

The only ones I kept from Marvel were Conan and Marvel Team-Up (and that last one only because it was too beat up to sell...) Of DC's, I've only gotten Jonah Hex and Haunted Tank, since the B&W there doesn't seem to matter to me, for whatever reason.

That Conan volume is good to have. The only one that wont be reprinted to my knowledge.

I love the Essentials, and DC's Showcases. Sure, they're black and white, but you can't beat 25 classic comics for $16. I now have an excellent understanding of the history of these characters, and that's what important to me.:thumbs2:

Roguewarrior
03-12-2007, 10:33 PM

I have not bought any of the Spiderman or Xmen Essentials, but I have bought the FF, Avengers, Captain America, Hulk, Ironman and several other. They are really good for what you pay for. They do come in order and often times will have issues from other series that they appeared in. Those also appear in order. It also includes the Annuals in the chronological order as well. I dont think that any issues that are totally devoted to 'flashbacks' or reprints are done, but I cant say for sure. I suggest picking up one or two and see what you think.

Achiever
03-13-2007, 12:07 AM
I like 'em, but for the more obscure titles. I've picked up all The Tomb of Dracula, the Frankenstein, Nova, Devenders, Ghost Rider, Marvel 2 in 1...titles like that. Books that I was interested in but didn't warrant a $50, hardback master-series investment. I love them. You don't have to treat them with care cause they didn't cost a fortune. Throw them in the car for trips. Great way to catch up on the cool 70's stuff I missed or only read for a little while.

I'm with you. I like them for the more obscure stuff that I wouldn't want to find all of the back issues for. I've got Super Villain Team Up (which if you like Dr. Doom, it's got some great stories), Defenders, Spider Woman and Punisher. I'm looking to get more. Look for them real cheap at conventions. I usually get all of mine for like half off! Can't beat that.

wktf
03-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm with you. I like them for the more obscure stuff that I wouldn't want to find all of the back issues for. I've got Super Villain Team Up (which if you like Dr. Doom, it's got some great stories), Defenders, Spider Woman and Punisher. I'm looking to get more. Look for them real cheap at conventions. I usually get all of mine for like half off! Can't beat that.

While I've got Amazing Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America, Silver Surfer and some other Essentials I've pretty much stopped buying them in favor of Masterworks and other HC full color books.

I'm with you, though, in that I will still pick up Essentials for the more obscure stuff that may never see premium treatment. Ones I have are all four Tomb of Dracula Essentials as well as Werewolf by Night and Monster of Frankenstein.

VaultMan
03-13-2007, 10:12 AM
I really enjoy the Essentials, though sometimes they print issues that are out of sequence (maybe an annual here and there). It's really been a gas reading some of my old favorites (Essential Avengers 2-3, Essential Thor #2). If I had my druthers, I would take the reprints in color. but for the $ spent, you can't beat it. IF you can take the B&W treatment.

Bullseye
03-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Oh i plan on picking up Thor, Silver Surfer and others too but wanted to start with my Fav.

bat_collector
03-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I get these all the time bulls. Have almost all of the dc showcases (with the exception of superman titles). Great way to read house of mystery and such.

Juggernaut
03-13-2007, 10:44 AM
It's fine by me that the Essential's don't havet he glossy paper, why did they have to be black and white?

I just bought the Darkness TPB with #1-50 it even has the glossy paper and for very nice price too.

I don't have the Witchblade yet.

Why did Marvel not do something like that?

JDH
03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
If you're prepared to shell out a bit more, I can highly recommend Masterworks for all that Romita goodness. I've dabbled in Essentials, but love the colours in Masterworks, and how they look on the shelf. They can't be beat, and I'm having a great time filling in the blanks in stories I read as a kid. They can also be bought for a lot less than cover price if you shop around, even though Amazon is useless for them, sadly.

VaultMan
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
If you're prepared to shell out a bit more, I can highly recommend Masterworks for all that Romita goodness. I've dabbled in Essentials, but love the colours in Masterworks, and how they look on the shelf. They can't be beat, and I'm having a great time filling in the blanks in stories I read as a kid. They can also be bought for a lot less than cover price if you shop around, even though Amazon is useless for them, sadly.

I wonder if someone could reach out to Amazon and say, "Hey! Bring on the Marvel Masterworks!" They have a lot of other stuff. Why not?

snappahead
03-13-2007, 05:10 PM
You should check out Barnes and Nobles. They collected the Marvel Masterworks of Spidey a year or two ago and usually still have them. They're very affordable and high quality reprints of the early Spidey issues. They made three of four volumes. Maybe the first 30 or 40 issues.

Bullseye
03-13-2007, 05:36 PM

I wonder should i cancel Essentials and order Masterworks instead. They are three times the price though.

JDH
03-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I wonder if someone could reach out to Amazon and say, "Hey! Bring on the Marvel Masterworks!" They have a lot of other stuff. Why not?

I e-mailed them once to suggest it. Doubt anyone read it though.

Teague
03-13-2007, 05:45 PM
I wonder should i cancel Essentials and order Masterworks instead. They are three times the price though.

Yeah, they're pricey. But nice to have. I'm thinking of investing in some of those, myself.

JDH
03-13-2007, 05:45 PM

It's Spidey. Like all good shampoo stars, he's worth it!

VaultMan
03-13-2007, 05:48 PM

I like the essentials. You get a great read for a great price...plus...I'm cheap!:thumbs2:

Teague
03-13-2007, 05:49 PM

What do you mean? They carry them. $32 apiece or so, as I recall.

Underdog07
03-13-2007, 08:10 PM

If dealing with a "title" (ASM, Avengers etc) then yes. If dealing with a character (Punisher, Moon Knight, etc.) the issues are chronologic but not always sequential. For example, Moon Knight has many - but not all - of the early Moon Knight appearances from Werewolf by Knight, M2in1 and the Rampaging Hulk. It then gets into the 1st series. I believe some appearances were left out.

The price is hard to beat -- good bang for the buck. I purchased 30 or so off of ebay (40%+ off) to read in the hospital as I would not care if they were damaged. However, the black and white does take away from the quality of the book. I would not say they are unreadable, it is just not as enjoyable a read.

If cost is not an issue, then definitely get the Masterworks. The Spideys have been reprinted so many times over the years that you can defnitely get some nice reprints of the first 100+ issues.

I would recommend Essentials for your lesser favorites. Comics you want to read but which have not been reprinted in nicer format. For ASM and other favorites, get a nicer quality color reprint.

JDH
03-14-2007, 06:19 AM
What do you mean? They carry them. $32 apiece or so, as I recall.

If only Amazon.co.uk were so accommodating. $32 is buttons.

Wolverine1
03-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Hey Bulls, get the Essentials and send them to me, Ill color them for you!