PDA

View Full Version : CGC Question

Teague
03-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I just scored one of the comics I've been wanting for a while, which is cool. I collect Golden/Silver Age holiday-themed comics for display on their respective holidays (which mostly means Christmas and Halloween). Anyway, one of the books I've wanted for a long time has been Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #1, because it's a Lois-as-witch-on-broomstick cover. Pretty cool. But since it's a #1 issue, it's always been pretty pricey. Even in Good (2.0), it goes for $300. I lucked out recently and got a nice-looking copy in 1.5 grade (can't tell by the cover--it shows as much better) for a lot less.

Okay, so here's the problem--it's CGCed. Which means that I'd have to buy a CGC frame in order to display it. But I'm wondering what you all think about cracking the case open and tossing it. I mean, obviously the CGC grade didn't boost the price at all in the auction I won (which wasn't a buy-it-now), so I'm wondering if taking it out of the CGC would actually make a difference, value-wise. For a Fair/Good grade, is CGC actually worth it?

Vince-Vell
03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Well you can buy a table stand like this ebay auction 250094010769

i got some cheap ones that fold fom Linens & things for a few CGC i got as a gift from a friend. 3 at my desk at work and its a money saver if you dont want to spend a lot on a wall frame.

If you crack the case be carefull on the vacum sealed insert. That stuff has a habbit of cracking/slicing up and can fubar the book if you pull it out the wrong way.

As for value, i bet if you send in that book to CGC 20 times it would get a different grade everytime. Guy at my LCS tested this out with a batman book. Sent in the same book 3 times first was 9.8, second 9.4 and third 9.8. if its a CGC case you like the books in but dont care for grades, send it to PGX, their cases are solid as hell and much nicer looking.

EDIT: Also another CGC story. Owner at my LCS won a cgc book for a big time regular customer. Was a old book (forget which one). Had a decent grade at 5.0 for its age. The guy who wanted the book could care less about the CGC case/grade and cracked it open in front of all of us. Friggin book had 3 pages missing in it and was graded at a 5.0. To say the least, he was pissed to all hell. He wanted it to read since it was a fav book from his childhood. So who the hell knows whats inside those things and how they grade them.

Teague
03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
As for value, i bet if you send in that book to CGC 20 times it would get a different grade everytime. Guy at my LCS tested this out with a batman book. Sent in the same book 3 times first was 9.8, second 9.4 and third 9.8.

Thanks, Vince. Actually, I know a guy who makes comics frames who does CGC-prepped frames. I'm just not sure if it's worth it.

I totally hear you on the inconsisteny of CGC. My friend's shop tried the same thing with an old issue of Amazing Spider-Man. He sent it in, and it came back VG, which just looked wrong. We'd all looked at it before he sent it, and it was in nice shape. He sent it in again--same comic, mind you--and it came back Fine. WTF? Just goes to show you.

I guess my real question comes down to this--given the "flexibility" of CGC at times, does it make ANY sense to keep something cased when it's graded this low? I guarantee that if I sent this in again, I could probably get it to Good 2.0 at least. Like I said, I'm not as worried about resale as I am about displaying it--but I don't want to screw myself either. Am I missing anything?

Vince-Vell
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Well put it this way, you can always resend it in again if opened to resell it. But since its a older book, might as well keep it in the case. If the CGC market callopses like i think it will down the line, then ya can crack it open.

Who knows, maybe you need money in a hurry and need to flip it down the line so keep it cased for now.

Edit: i think the older books CGCed will retain their value where as the new books being graded is like the 90s foild covers all over again.

sellin71
03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Teague, I know you want to crack it open, don't you? Go ahead do it. Just do it. There is nothing like the smell of an old comic.

Underdog07
03-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Teague - a book in that grade will not be de-valued by removing it from its holder. Just as it likely did not command any premium bc it was graded. Merely maintain the CGC label in case you ever want to dispose of the book. Trust me, no one would doubt you if you said CGC previously graded this book at 1.5.

As for grading, its subjective so even CGC will deviate with the same book bc different people look at it. However, I doubt the deviation would ever be substantial. Also, its nice to have someone check for restoration on key books. Of course, a lot of people view CGC as evil. I reckon a lot of these are the same people who fell/felt that Valiant, trade paperbacks, too many Bowen exclusives, lack of Bowen exclusives, the smurfs, McRib sandwiches, their imaginary friend and you and I are evil.

'Nuff
03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
I've bought 3 graded books and took all of them out of the case and framed them...I don't plan to sell and they just look better framed...BTW...I like the idea of displaying Holiday themed comics at the appropriate time:thumbs2: I always move my monster models to various locations around the house at Halloween...

Teague
03-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks, all.

That's pretty much what I figured--why keep something packaged when it's 1) a pain to frame that way, and 2) not graded highly enough to want to verify anyhow?

(And you're right, Chris--I totally want to bust this puppy open...) :thumbs2:

I'm going to get my holiday comics out to organize pretty soon anyway, so when I do, I'll take a few shots of them. It's a pretty fun holiday collection, if I do say so myself! :thumbs2:

'Nuff
03-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks, all.

That's pretty much what I figured--why keep something packaged when it's 1) a pain to frame that way, and 2) not graded highly enough to want to verify anyhow?

(And you're right, Chris--I totally want to bust this puppy open...) :thumbs2:

I'm going to get my holiday comics out to organize pretty soon anyway, so when I do, I'll take a few shots of them. It's a pretty fun holiday collection, if I do say so myself! :thumbs2:

Please post them...I'd like to see...:thumbs2:

Das Brutah
03-15-2007, 12:32 AM
I won an Ebay auction for a Silver Surfer #4 a ways back. It was a really nice copy. I cracked it open soon after receiving it in the mail. I you want to keep it and don't care as much about the resell value go for it. If you are a fan and a collector like me, the chances of selling this are slim to none. Why not be able to enjoy the issue the way it was meant. I agree with the earlier comment. Nothing beats the smell of an old comic. If you could market this smell in the form of a car air freshener I would consider buying it.

sellin71
03-15-2007, 01:00 PM
I won an Ebay auction for a Silver Surfer #4 a ways back. It was a really nice copy. I cracked it open soon after receiving it in the mail. I you want to keep it and don't care as much about the resell value go for it. If you are a fan and a collector like me, the chances of selling this are slim to none. Why not be able to enjoy the issue the way it was meant. I agree with the earlier comment. Nothing beats the smell of an old comic. If you could market this smell in the form of a car air freshener I would consider buying it.

I know what you mean, I have a whole closet full of comics and I can't ever imagine selling them. I would venture that I have about 300 comics from the 70s and 80s I haven't even read yet.

CocoPUFF
03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I would crack it open if you're not going to sell it...other wise leave it there in its case

Teague
03-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I would crack it open if you're not going to sell it...other wise leave it there in its case

Someday I might sell it, but not for a long time.

I'm going to open it up, at least before next Halloween. :thumbs2:

JadeGiant
03-15-2007, 05:30 PM
crack it open T ... and post pics of the display!

moon_knight1971
03-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Why buy a CGC book if you're just going to open it? I guess you got it for a steal but other than that I don't see the point in buying ususally high priced CGC books just to crack them open. I have at least a reader copy of all the CGC books I have. The case means money. If you open it you lose its cased value.

Teague
03-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Why buy a CGC book if you're just going to open it? I guess you got it for a steal but other than that I don't see the point in buying ususally high priced CGC books just to crack them open. I have at least a reader copy of all the CGC books I have. The case means money. If you open it you lose its cased value.

Because it wasn't unusually high, and didn't command a better price because of the grade. Honestly, I think CGC undergraded this anyway.

I don't buy high priced CGC books. I don't buy CGC books for the most part at all. The only reason I bid on this one was that it rarely comes up for auction.