PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of the Living Dead - 03/15/07

bat_collector
03-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Before I start, let me just say I welcome any and all feedback from my humble opinions. This is a forum after all, and I always hope that some sort of enjoyable discussion of different viewpoints emerge from these columns. Do we have to agree? I hope not, what a boring world would this be if everyone shared the same viewpoint. After all, is that the very freedom the 300 fought and died for (well that and the freedom to kill their babies if any defect be found). And heaven knows I'm always ready to give my opinion on anything, be it on movies, music, or comics. So don't think I'll grudge that to anybody else.

With that out of the way, on to my reviews.

You know what I've become tired of? Checklists. You know the "if you want every last detail of the ______ event of the year, pick up these comics!" We suffered through it non stop since HoM and Countdown, and it isn't getting any better. Now we have the Initiative checklist, which will segway into the WWHulk checklist, etc. I even fell for it in Civil War, but no more. Thus, I passed on Civil War: the Confession. However good it may be, I can't afford to buy every one shot, mini, and special issue for civil war. Especially when I feel Cap's death will probably last only slightly longer than hawkeye's. What is a confession worth in this sham of a publicity stunt? As Iron Man said, "it wasn't worth it."

After all, I had horror comics to buy, dang it! Thus, comes Wildstorm's Friday the 13th #4, with that fantastic cover by Ryan Sook (woo hoo). Things are falling apart for our ill-fated teens who probably won't survive the night! Bodies are piling up, and its the dead of night in a terrain the clearly favors Mr. Vorhees. Thankfully, these guys have seen horror movies and try to concoct a plan to survive the night (that doesn't involve random sex, booze, or drugs!). Too bad Scream came out a decade ago. This is a total filler issue, where our victims, er, heroes spend more time bickering then getting slaughtered (gee, sounds like the boards lately). However, the last few pages has a character do something that is so disgusting, it redeems the issue. I'm still loving this!

Speaking of great covers, one A. Olivetti came out with a doozy in Punisher War Journal #5. I wish I had the money right now to buy that!. If only the cover were half as compelling as the issue. Here we get to see a whole issue devoted to a a Broadway hostage situation featuring Bushwacker, G.W. Bridge, and a puny Auxiliary cop named Ian. If you were hoping to find out what Punisher did with Cap's mask, we you will have to wait for the next issue. This issue is clearly nothing more than a bridge to that issue, and the most unremarkable in its short series.

I still want the cover though.

Well if Frank didn't bring the beat down this week, at least Black Adam brought it in the increasingly better 52: Week 45. If you ever wondered what Supes could do if he lost everything and blamed the world, pick up this issue. After burying his dead wife and brother in law, Black Adam begins his mission of revenge to find those responsible, and his first stop is after the horseman Death currently in hiding in the small nation of Bailya. The nation, and its inhabitants, never had a chance, as Adam destroys it in an unconquerable rage. World War III is clearly on the horizon, as Checkmate reassembles the Suicide Squad, China's super hero team prepares for war, and Atom Smasher prepares for one last attempt to stop his friend from the bloodshed. But, this issue is all about Black Adam wreaking havok, and his fight with Death is extremely well done. For those who have not read 52, you only need to buy the last few issues to enjoy the rest of the ride.

Finally ,Justice, like Lighting, came through in Thunderbolts #112. I really feel this will be one great comic, as the arrogant, evil and corrupt team (ok, at least some of them are that way) are setting themselves up for a huge fall. Feeling totally safe and insulated, just what will happen when this team (who nearly failed against Jack Flag) goes against one of the big boys (say Spidey) or worse yet gets involved in WW Hulk. I'm reading hoping to see some hell to pay for these guys. "Hulk smash puny thunderbolts!!":buttrock:

Well that's it for this week. Hopefully next week I'll be reviewing some independent comics I got at NYCC!

rilynil
03-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the reviews, bats! I tried to buy Thunderbolts 112 today, and there wasn't a copy to be found :( I'll have to try eBay. I may pick up Friday the 13th No. 4 next time I'm in my LCS. I bought No. 3 and liked it. :thumbs2:

bat_collector
03-15-2007, 08:29 PM
do you have issues 1 and 2, rilynil? issue 2 had a great kill scene in it

rilynil
03-15-2007, 08:35 PM
do you have issues 1 and 2, rilynil? issue 2 had a great kill scene in it
Nope, I sure don't. I'm going to find copies of the first two issues before long. I'll have to check out those kill scenes! :thumbs2: To me, finding out how everybody gets killed was the whole point of the movies. :laugh:

Babytoxie
03-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Well-done, b_c! I'm enjoying this new format.:thumbs2:

bat_collector
03-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Nope, I sure don't. I'm going to find copies of the first two issues before long. I'll have to check out those kill scenes! :thumbs2: To me, finding out how everybody gets killed was the whole point of the movies. :laugh:

If you want I'll go see if my lcs has them. Let me know.

If I remember right,issue 1 is pure set up of character, and issue 2 has the great kill scene

Bullseye
03-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Olivetti is fast becoming one of my favs.

JDH
03-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Great stuff B_C, and wonderful work by Olivetti. I quite liked the issue too, though it was a bit of a filler. I can't say I'm familiar with Bushwhacker though, is he related to Random?:)

I'm looking forward to getting T-Bolts 112, I think this title has real potential.

I don't know if you check it out B_C, but the last couple of Ghost Rider issues have been good. Sleepy Hollow, Hallowe'en, possessed Jack O'Lantern, beheadings. Fun stuff.

bat_collector
03-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Great stuff B_C, and wonderful work by Olivetti. I quite liked the issue too, though it was a bit of a filler. I can't say I'm familiar with Bushwhacker though, is he related to Random?:)

I'm looking forward to getting T-Bolts 112, I think this title has real potential.

I don't know if you check it out B_C, but the last couple of Ghost Rider issues have been good. Sleepy Hollow, Hallowe'en, possessed Jack O'Lantern, beheadings. Fun stuff.

I was thinking the same thing about Bushwacker! I thought it was a flesh colored Random. lol Yeah, it was downright terrible, but still a filler issue.

As far as ghost rider, who is writing it jess?

JDH
03-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I was thinking the same thing about Bushwacker! I thought it was a flesh colored Random. lol Yeah, it was downright terrible, but still a filler issue.

As far as ghost rider, who is writing it jess?

Daniel Way. The series has a good premise - the devil (well, Lucifer) tricked Ghost Rider, so when GR was freed from Hell, the devil was able to come with him, split into 666 pieces, each of which possessed a reanimated corpse. For each one GR kills, the rest become stronger, with the Devil's ultimate aim being to get down to one with all his power. The latest corpse is Jack O'Lantern, who has always been one of my favourite C-list villains! If only GR had his classic outfit, not the lame leather with spikes 90s redo.

(Brilliantly, the latest letters page had some guy asking who Lucifer was. He wrote something like: Wasn't that the guy who crippled Xavier. Which is kind of true, but...)

In short: Devil-possessed zombies, B_C!

bat_collector
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
wow, really? Very interesting premise. I might pick up the first trade

JDH
03-16-2007, 10:06 AM
wow, really? Very interesting premise. I might pick up the first trade

That will probably cover the set-up, which is okay, but it's really hitting it's stride now that Lucifer is loose, and particularly now that ol' pumpkin-head has shown up.

whd
03-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Daniel Way. The series has a good premise - the devil (well, Lucifer) tricked Ghost Rider, so when GR was freed from Hell, the devil was able to come with him, split into 666 pieces, each of which possessed a reanimated corpse. For each one GR kills, the rest become stronger, with the Devil's ultimate aim being to get down to one with all his power. The latest corpse is Jack O'Lantern, who has always been one of my favourite C-list villains! If only GR had his classic outfit, not the lame leather with spikes 90s redo.

(Brilliantly, the latest letters page had some guy asking who Lucifer was. He wrote something like: Wasn't that the guy who crippled Xavier. Which is kind of true, but...)

In short: Devil-possessed zombies, B_C!

I've read the first GR trade and it was pretty entertaining. Hard to go wrong with Tex and Saltares doing the art. :buttrock:

whd
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm right there with you as far as 52 goes. It's great these days. I love the idea that Amanda Waller won't even bother to send a Suicide Squad after Black Adam unless she has at least a 100 members on the team. She wants them to at least have a chance of succeeding before Black Adam kills them all. :thumbs2:

bat_collector
03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm right there with you as far as 52 goes. It's great these days. I love the idea that Amanda Waller won't even bother to send a Suicide Squad after Black Adam unless she has at least a 100 members on the team. She wants them to at least have a chance of succeeding before Black Adam kills them all. :thumbs2:

great scene, wasn't it!:buttrock:

I'd pay to see Black Adam vs the Thunderbolts:buttrock:

whd
03-16-2007, 02:12 PM

That would be a good fight. :thumbs2:

whd
03-16-2007, 03:03 PM
It looks like Black Adam is going to kicking some more ass next week.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/WAcker/week45/52-46.p1.jpg

MiamiLoco
03-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Well, let's not forget that you also PAY for "SAVAGE BROTHERS."

BTW not a fan of the new format, I like the other one better. The new one seems too improvised, like something you put together at 1 a.m. after you read the books.

bat_collector
03-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, let's not forget that you also PAY for "SAVAGE BROTHERS."

BTW not a fan of the new format, I like the other one better. The new one seems too improvised, like something you put together at 1 a.m. after you read the books.

the funny thing is that I put the GBU reviews together after 1 a.m. in the morning!

bat_collector
03-16-2007, 04:36 PM
wHD - I hope Black Adam turns shin tzu, or whatever that orange thing is, into humpty dumpty after his fall!

MiamiLoco
03-16-2007, 05:12 PM
the funny thing is that I put the GBU reviews together after 1 a.m. in the morning!
It shows ;)

j/k :p

whd
03-16-2007, 06:13 PM
wHD - I hope Black Adam turns shin tzu, or whatever that orange thing is, into humpty dumpty after his fall!

That will be one big nasty omelet. :thumbs2:

lord odin
03-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Black Adam killed them all and the suicide squad are going to (live) up to their name.:buttrock:

rilynil
03-18-2007, 01:00 AM
If you want I'll go see if my lcs has them. Let me know.
If I remember right,issue 1 is pure set up of character, and issue 2 has the great kill scene
Thanks, bats! :) Let me check if my LCS has the previous Friday the 13th comics. I may take you up on that. :)

bat_collector
03-18-2007, 10:41 AM
pm me if you need me to check. I can do that wednesday, bro.

Jesse321
03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I just got a chance to sit down and read last weeks 52 today and DAMN this story is getting REALLY good ... DC is really pumping it out on the last few issues of this series.