Babytoxie
03-16-2007, 11:18 PM
If this isn't released as a print, I'm going to cry:

http://www.newsarama.com/WWLA_07/Marvel/mondo/av_classic.jpg

Read more here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=105383

Perna
03-17-2007, 12:18 AM
I saw this earlier and I too love it. My only gripe is that the big green oaf takes up too much space right in the foreground. Cap should be leading the charge, with Thor and Iron Man flanking him.

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the concept is to have the original Avengers front and center.

whd
03-17-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't remember Darkhawk ever becoming an Avenger of any status.

rilynil
03-17-2007, 12:45 AM
That's a cool pic!

Perna
03-17-2007, 12:56 AM
I know that, you madman! But the Hulk should NOT be front and center. That gamma-irradiated misfit was an Avenger for 1 issue. Issue 2. And then he has one of his pathetic "Nobody likes me! Waaahhh!" tantrums and he leaves the team.

I agree, the Hulk looks good smack in the middle surrounded by all the other Avengers.

JadeGiant
03-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Awesome cover ... looks great with Hulk leading the charge!

JadeGiant
03-17-2007, 01:17 AM
LOL ... just pushing your buttons DP ... I know your disdain for the Hulk ... he wasn't an Avenger for long, but if he is on the team, it's a sure bet he will be the first into battle

galactus
03-17-2007, 01:26 AM
The original art for this piece sold at the Wondercon this past February for, gulp, 20K!!!! :eek:

Leon
03-17-2007, 04:50 AM
I don't remember Darkhawk ever becoming an Avenger of any status.

Yup, Avengers West Coast. He was around for a couple of issues, can't remember if they actually made him a official Avenger or not though.
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/94949295440.93.GIF

Babytoxie
03-17-2007, 10:08 AM
My only gripe is that the big green oaf takes up too much space right in the foreground. Cap should be leading the charge, with Thor and Iron Man flanking him.

I have a similar gripe about Wolverine taking as much space as Cap and others who have been Avengers much longer than he has. Feh.

bat_collector
03-17-2007, 10:10 AM
I like the original avengers front and center with hulk in the middle

bat_collector
03-17-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a similar gripe about Wolverine taking as much space as Cap and others who have been Avengers much longer than he has. Feh.

I just KNEW you were gonna say that.

JDH
03-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I saw this earlier and I too love it. My only gripe is that the big green oaf takes up too much space right in the foreground. Cap should be leading the charge, with Thor and Iron Man flanking him.

Dana, the issue is a reprint of Avengers 1. That, I would imagine, is why the original five are front and centre, including Ant-Man rather than Giant-Man (Scott lang is also knocking around down there on the floor.) Cap is among the most prominent of the remaining members, as it should be. Fingers crossed you'll get something you prefer on the cover of #4.:)

Was Gilgamesh really that tall? I forget...

Perna
03-17-2007, 11:33 AM
That Hulk is sexy in those tight pants!

Ummm, okay Dana, whatever you say.............:confused2

Tony Coca
03-17-2007, 11:53 AM

Cap wasnt an original Avenger.The original Avengers are the ones in the foreground.

ashley76
03-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I am so stoked about this series... Art Adams on Covers and Kevin Maguire on new original stories in the back... Woohoo!!! Now all they need is original pin-ups by Tony Perna!

Perna
03-17-2007, 07:00 PM
I realize that, but I still think that either:

1. Cap should have been chosen, for he is the greatest Avenger, or
2. Iron Man or Thor would be more appropriate for the center pic due to their being Avengers from issue 1 on until, for all intents and purposes, now. The Hulk barely counts as an Avenger.

The Hulk was probably chosen due to the upcoming WWHulk storyline. Hulk will start popping up everywhere.

Mischief is in the air... no wait, it's just my gas.

Dana, are you having that problem again?

Tony Coca
03-17-2007, 07:00 PM
I am so stoked about this series... Art Adams on Covers and Kevin Maguire on new original stories in the back... Woohoo!!! Now all they need is original pin-ups by Tony Perna!

Tony Who???:confused:

:laugh:

Perna
03-17-2007, 07:05 PM

I agree with this statement.:confused2

Perna
03-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Tony Who???:confused:

I'll give you Tony Who, followed by a kick in the arse.:stick:

SD RUM
03-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Great cover.

Tony Coca
03-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Perna's just getting ****y 'cuz Beta Ray Bill left the States for Canada.

Beta Ray Who??

Perna
03-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Perna's just getting ****y 'cuz Beta Ray Bill left the States for Canada.

I'll be picking up the Omega Flight mini series. I hope it's not caacaa. One good thing aboot it is that it looks like they will be fighting the Wrecking Crew in the first issue. I think.

Perna
03-17-2007, 11:11 PM
At this point in current Marveldom, I'm inclined to agree with your question. Nice part he played in Civil War, huh?

I think I seen his boot in issue #4, page 7 panel 5, but it may have been a rock.

JadeGiant
03-17-2007, 11:14 PM
JG - I like to be overly dramatic on the forum. I don't hate the Hulk, but I did get really annoyed as a kid whenever he faced my favorites (Thing, Thor, Spidey), for he almost always gave them a beating!

As far as nowadays, I'm looking forward to WWHulk a lot, but even more so to seeing how everything falls into place after the storyline.

your killing it for me DP ... and I thought we were mortal enemies:laugh: (OK, you may think yourself to be an immortal)

Batwing
03-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I love Art Adams' art (:) ) but this one could have been further improved, to add on to the point about Hulk taking up so much space in front.

* I like how Adams chose one version of a character, and most are classic ones (Quicksilver, Wonder Man etc)
* So that's Tony Stark in the original all gold Iron Man retro armor, which means Jim Rhodes is in the classic red/yellow armor
* Ant-man could have been represented by Scott Lang, leaving Hank Pym to be drawn as Goliath or Giant-man (since YJ is the reformed female villain). I think that this is the biggest missed opportunity in what could have been a greater cover (or print).

But amazing detail--even an unpopular Avenger (to purists) like Ronin was drawn in, but you can only see his/her boots!

Wolverine77
03-18-2007, 10:51 PM
That is an amazing piece of Art (yeah, yeah, being corny again, so?). He should get monthly or bi-monthly work at Marvel. He's been gone from doing interiors for too long. Notice Wolverine. Besides John Buscema & John Byrne, heck, even Barry Windsor-Smith, Art ALWAYS drew him in proportion. A runt, if you will (and I LOVE that.). Not 6 feet tall. So I say to Marvel: BRING BACK ART!

Tony Coca
03-18-2007, 11:04 PM
That is an amazing piece of Art (yeah, yeah, being corny again, so?). He should get monthly or bi-monthly work at Marvel. He's been gone from doing interiors for too long. Notice Wolverine. Besides John Buscema & John Byrne, heck, even Barry Windsor-Smith, Art ALWAYS drew him in proportion. A runt, if you will (and I LOVE that.). Not 6 feet tall. So I say to Marvel: BRING BACK ART!

I agree Art Adams needs to be back on a marvel title.He's better then some of the hacks they have doing work for the company now.

JadeGiant
03-18-2007, 11:12 PM
All right, I'll try to sum up the Warrior Madness then.

Nah, I'm too beat. All my posting in the Bowen section tonight has done me in. We'll continue our never-ending battle later, JG!

OK, I'll wait ... to SMASH!

rilynil
03-18-2007, 11:17 PM
OK, I'll wait ... to SMASH!

Roguewarrior
03-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Where is Giantman/Goliath. I see Antman, but that could be Lang not Pym. I see two Ironmans, Where is the big guy?

Aarrgghh!!
03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
I HATE that lame Sentry is an Avenger and going forward if a team shot is done he'll likely be included.:puke2:

marvelboi77
03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
woohoo Spider-Woman

Batwing
03-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Where is Giantman/Goliath. I see Antman, but that could be Lang not Pym. I see two Ironmans, Where is the big guy?

It looks like Art Adams drew only one version of a particular character.

The Ant-man riding on the flying ant in front of Hulk is Hank Pym, which is why there is no Goliath or Giant-man. Shame.

Scott Lang is the more updated Ant-man seen under Hulk's errr... butt (next to Ronin's boots).

Tony Stark is in the all gold retro clunky Iron Man armor, so that's very likely Jim Rhodes in the classic red/yellow armor. Rhodey wore this suit when he was in Secret Wars and the earlier part of WCA. Which is also why there's no War Machine on the cover since Rhodey has been accounted for.

Roguewarrior
03-20-2007, 05:53 PM
It looks like Art Adams drew only one version of a particular character.

The Ant-man riding on the flying ant in front of Hulk is Hank Pym, which is why there is no Goliath or Giant-man. Shame.

Scott Lang is the more updated Ant-man seen under Hulk's errr... butt (next to Ronin's boots).

Tony Stark is in the all gold retro clunky Iron Man armor, so that's very likely Jim Rhodes in the classic red/yellow armor. Rhodey wore this suit when he was in Secret Wars and the earlier part of WCA. Which is also why there's no War Machine on the cover since Rhodey has been accounted for.

I had missed Hank and Jan in the fore front. Thank you!

Who is above Falcon and Redwing, is that Lionheart? What was she an Avenger for 2 seconds?

snappahead
03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Awesome art. Adams is always a treat. Spidey and Wolvie have no business in this shot though. I hate what that tool Bendis has done to this franchise. WTF is Wolverine and Spidey doing in the Avengers. Pointless. Wolvie's an Xman and Spidey is a reject..that's the way it should always be.

Batwing
03-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I had missed Hank and Jan in the fore front. Thank you!

Who is above Falcon and Redwing, is that Lionheart? What was she an Avenger for 2 seconds?

Yeah, that's her alright. If this is every Avenger who was, I wonder where the honorary/reserve members are--i.e. Two-Gun Kid and Captain Mar-Vell.

This cover is not the best composition ever, as much as I love Art Adams art.

Scottsdale Saint
03-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I agree Art Adams needs to be back on a marvel title.He's better then some of the hacks they have doing work for the company now.saw this amazing piece of art at Wondercon at Adams' table, and the original was HUUUGGGEE! it was amazing and i'm sure it will be produced as a litho and a giclee, somewhere down the line, Art just said the logistics haven't been worked out yet.

as far as Adams being on a Marvel title, fat chance. he's probably got little to no interest in doing the monthly/bi-monthly grind of a title, when he's doing commissions at $1000-$4000 per. he cherry picks his commissions and he's got a waiting list about two years long. just seems a lot easier and less stressful than doing anything regular for any publisher. even when Art was penciling on a regular basis, it was usually for one arc or an annual, his pages just take him too long to do.

Ish
03-21-2007, 09:02 AM
I know that, you madman! But the Hulk should NOT be front and center. That gamma-irradiated misfit was an Avenger for 1 issue. Issue 2. And then he has one of his pathetic "Nobody likes me! Waaahhh!" tantrums and he leaves the team.

so? but he a founder and cap it's not, i love it just the way it is, i hope they giclee this baby, or atleast litho it. :buttrock:

Ish
03-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Awesome art. Adams is always a treat. Spidey and Wolvie have no business in this shot though. I hate what that tool Bendis has done to this franchise. WTF is Wolverine and Spidey doing in the Avengers. Pointless. Wolvie's an Xman and Spidey is a reject..that's the way it should always be.

they're in the new avengers... :stick: :D

Vince-Vell
03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Sweet they got Genis-Vell in there as Cap Marvel, i love it that someone uses him in art like this. ill buy a print for that reason alone!:buttrock:

Batwing
03-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Ishmael,

I think this image is great, but it would be even better if the Hulk wasn't front and center. It doesn't matter that he's a founder. Thor and/or Iron Man should have that spot. Either individually or together. Or, if the big green oaf has to be in the front, he should be sharing it with Thor and Iron Man.

"Classic Avengers" does not refer to the original founders; rather, it's the early years of the team's various first couple/few lineups.

Absolutely right.

It would have been more "classic" if Hank Pym were in his Goliath identity, and then Scott Lang to be drawn as Ant-Man, instead of two Ant-Men.

And few of the reserve members drawn in (Two-Gun Kid, Capt Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy etc) instead of Lionheart or Sentry.

Tony Stark in the classic red/yellow armor? That way we'd have Rhodey as War Machine.

I like how Wonder Man and Quicksilver were drawn in their 1960s classic uniforms!