PDA

View Full Version : Blurring the Lines: Heroes and Villians

VaultMan
03-23-2007, 11:20 AM
It seems in the current state of comics that the line between heroism and villany is increasingly blurred. The Punisher and Wolverine have no qualms about killing, yet they have huge fan bases. Wonder Woman kills Max Lord and receives as much praise as revulsion for her act.

Civil War breaks out, hero vs. hero, where the line is blurred again between who is hero and who is not (did Tony actually hire BULLSEYE to do work for him?) World War Hulk is on the horizon, where more of the same "hero conflict" will rage all summer long.

Daredevil is arrested for breaking the law and imprisoned, Cap is shot "dead" on the steps of the courthouse. Villians working for SHIELD, the Thunderbolts are a heroes and villians alike. Spider-Man returns to his black costume with the intent of administering back-breaking revenge on someone. Was Bruce Wayne bitten by a radioactive spider and I missed it?

This line between hero and villian is seemingly not blurred anymore, but almost non-existant. Is this a good or bad thing? Is this symptomatic of a society with decreasing low morality? Is this a trend like anything else in media, and will we ever see a return to classic values in comics? Do you like this current state of comics or do you yearn for simpler days when the Masters of Evil where just that and the Golden Avenger was actually worthy of the name?

bat_collector
03-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I think this is more marvel's problem than dc's. Wonder Woman did kill max lord, but she had to pay a heavy price for it and was shunned for it.

I feel the powers that be at marvel think villains just aren't cool anymore.

Vince-Vell
03-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Dont worry it will all be fixed when Captain America punches a hold in the wall and fixes the debacle at marvel.

JLM
03-23-2007, 11:59 AM
There's already some discussion about this in this thread here. (http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=45738)