PDA

View Full Version : Whoah! New X-Men adjustment time

rilynil
03-23-2007, 12:21 PM
First off, New X-Men has been my favorite series for quite a while now. Kyle and Yost have me totally hooked on the characters, and I feel there's a real edge to the series. I've loved Paco Medina's art on the series so much that I've bought the original art to two covers and one inside page. So I was a little disappointed that Paco isn't drawing the next arc.

Skottie Young, who I'm unfamiliar with, is drawing the next arc. Wow, I'm going to have to get used to his more cartoony style. I'm not hating it, but I feel I'm going to miss Paco's work (Rockslide does look cool on that cover, though).

Anyone have any opinions on Young's previous work? Here are a couple of examples of what he'll be doing on New X-Men:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/nadams65/blogNXM_colorsheet.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/nadams65/NewX-Men_copy.jpg

endsongjen
03-23-2007, 12:24 PM
neil i love scottie young!! i know some ppl dont like the style of his work but i really do. i think he's trying to make them look more their age. which would be around what, 16? i like that so much. im excited he's doing it, surge kicks ass in that pic and i love the x23. i should put some of these on my phone lol

bat_collector
03-23-2007, 12:30 PM
that's cool

rilynil
03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I have a feeling Young's art is going to really grow on me. I'm all for making them look their age. Yep, X-23 is supposed to be 16. I get so tired of female heroes all looking like Adam Hughes drawings. As long as Kyle and Yost are still writing NXM, I'm sure I'll be cool with everything.

But in the previews I've seen (and I try not to read too many of them), it's hinted about lineup changes and even some power changes. I hope that means that Prodigy gets amped up again. I don't know this Pixie character, and, although he's been around a while, I have no idea what Anole's power is.

I just hope the core lineup of X-23, Hellion, Rockslide, Surge, Mercury and Dust is kept solid.

Crom
03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I really dig Skottie's stuff. I have a piece of orginal art from him (Nightcrawler). It is cartoony, but that is what I like about it. I think it is very vibrant and lively. Lots of attitude in his characters. I think comics tend to be too realistic these days. His work is a nice relief, an escape.

Teague
03-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Guess I'm in the minority on this one, because I can't stand this style. If I want manga art, I'll buy manga. I'm all for having teenagers look like teens, but this is just the other side of the unrealistic spectrum--instead of busty would-be models, we have these heroin chic leggy things. Eh. No thanks.

Car50n
03-23-2007, 12:36 PM
New X-Men is the best X-book not being read. uncanny and vol2 are good again, but New has been consistently good for a couple years now.

endsongjen
03-23-2007, 12:41 PM
pixie is in the paragons team (magma teach) dont know what her powers are......
anole has lizard type powers, colr, tongue, etc. and hes on the alpha squadron team (northstar teach)

core lineup def has to stay. i love them all, and it would be cool if david got his powers back. kinda wanting for elixir to get back into the mix as well.

rilynil
03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
The next four NXM covers are individual pieces of one drawing. Here's the full piece, uncolored:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2120/blognxm2bquad2bcoverls8.th.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blognxm2bquad2bcoverls8.jpg)

rilynil
03-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I was glad to see David in the lower left-hand corner. :thumbs2:

endsongjen
03-23-2007, 12:45 PM
aaaahhh x-23 is so amazing.................................. lol

rilynil
03-23-2007, 12:51 PM
aaaahhh x-23 is so amazing.................................. lol
The latest issues of NXM and Target X were phenomenal. The more they reveal about X-23's life in the lab, the more I'm convinced she's got to be the most tragic hero in the Marvel Universe. That's what makes her so interesting to me.

endsongjen
03-23-2007, 12:53 PM
uh huh. i just read target x last night at like 3am lmao. anyways it was great!! and can u tell me why kimura looks a diff race in the both comics? lol wtf?

cblakey1
03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Damn, I love that art! X-23 and Surge kicks ass!

That Anole dude looks too much like BeastBoy from Teen Titans GO!, though.

rilynil
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I've wondered about Kimura's race, too. Have you noticed that in both NXM and Target X that her eyes are the same color of green as X-23's, her aunt's and cousin's? Hmmm. Interesting.

Also, I thought the way Emma Frost put the whammy on her in NXM was diabolical but brilliant.

endsongjen
03-23-2007, 01:02 PM
what emma did was great...
yea ive noticed the eyes, but in this target x she looked like cuban or puerto rican. and in new x she looks idk white? lmao

rilynil
03-23-2007, 01:06 PM
I think the disparity in Kimura's skin color and facial features is a "whoops!" moment by Marvel. But I forgive 'em. :thumbs2: I'd prefer Kimura to be Cuban or Puerto Rican, but that's a whole different subject. :laugh:

bjread
03-23-2007, 01:19 PM
As a teacher I see middle school children everyday(which for me is between the ages of 12-16...I teach 8th grade)...I can say this:

1) There are NO males who are ripped...so that is preposterous.

2) There ARE females that are "leggy/chic"

3) There ARE females that are "busty"

4) My gripe with manga is the noses and the eyes.

You guys have been talking so much about this book (I actually collected it for the first year...then dropped it and sold it on eBay) that I am going to try and jump back in. That and with the Endangered Species coming up I want to have all the little stories.

I've been buying up old issues of uncanny ( I now have all from #394 - 484 except for 414-418). Tan and Brubaker REALLY brought me back into the x-verse so I went and started redoing my collection.

Now I'm actually contemplating dropping Ultimate Spidey & Ultimate FF (I have ALL UFF issues and ALL USM issues except the first 6)

malkii
03-23-2007, 01:54 PM
this new art will have to grow on me... i have gotten so used to the awesome art that has been there... that is one of the main reasons i have been buying the book, is the awesome art... the stories have been great also, but the art is what makes it worth it... have to wait and see once this actually comes out...

Fannymac
03-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Guess I'm in the minority on this one, because I can't stand this style. If I want manga art, I'll buy manga. I'm all for having teenagers look like teens, but this is just the other side of the unrealistic spectrum--instead of busty would-be models, we have these heroin chic leggy things. Eh. No thanks.

Teague, you're not alone.......love the book, TOTALLY underwhelmed with the new look!
I really don't like this kind of sloppy, cartoony artwork.....give me the crisp, highly detailed work of a Perez, Jimenez Churchill or Matthew Clark ANY day!!:buttrock:

Fannymac
03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
As a teacher I see middle school children everyday(which for me is between the ages of 12-16...I teach 8th grade)...I can say this:

1) There are NO males who are ripped...so that is preposterous.

2) There ARE females that are "leggy/chic"

3) There ARE females that are "busty"

4) My gripe with manga is the noses and the eyes.

You guys have been talking so much about this book (I actually collected it for the first year...then dropped it and sold it on eBay) that I am going to try and jump back in. That and with the Endangered Species coming up I want to have all the little stories.

I've been buying up old issues of uncanny ( I now have all from #394 - 484 except for 414-418). Tan and Brubaker REALLY brought me back into the x-verse so I went and started redoing my collection.

Now I'm actually contemplating dropping Ultimate Spidey & Ultimate FF (I have ALL UFF issues and ALL USM issues except the first 6)

And the FEET!!!!!! What is up with THAT?????????

rilynil
03-23-2007, 04:17 PM
You guys have been talking so much about this book (I actually collected it for the first year...then dropped it and sold it on eBay) that **I am going to try and jump back in.** That and with the Endangered Species coming up I want to have all the little stories.
I'd read the entire Kyle and Yost run, if I were you. That's where NXM took a huge leap forward. Buying the trades would be easiest: "NXM: Childhood's End" Vols. 1, 2 and 3 (Vol. 4 is out in June). This is where I jumped in because I followed X-23 to the group. The spotlight hasn't really fallen on X-23 all that much in NXM, so, to understand where she came from, the "X-23: Innocence Lost" and "NYX" trades as well as the current "X-23: Target X" miniseries are must-read comics. Knowing X-23's background adds much to some of the more subtle things going on with her in NXM.

I'm completely hooked. This reminds me very much of how I felt when the "all-new" Uncanny X-Men series was unfolding issue to issue during the Claremont/C0ckrum/Byrne days. That's a big statement, but it's very true in my case.

Roguewarrior
03-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Looks too much like Anime (Manga?) art to me! Not interested.

Devils Drifter
03-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Your not in the miniorty, guess that's another comic off my list.

Teague
03-23-2007, 05:53 PM
I'd read the entire Kyle and Yost run, if I were you. That's where NXM took a huge leap forward. Buying the trades would be easiest: "NXM: Childhood's End" Vols. 1, 2 and 3 (Vol. 4 is out in June). This is where I jumped in because I followed X-23 to the group. The spotlight hasn't really fallen on X-23 all that much in NXM, so, to understand where she came from, the "X-23: Innocence Lost" and "NYX" trades as well as the current "X-23: Target X" miniseries are must-read comics. Knowing X-23's background adds much to some of the more subtle things going on with her in NXM.

I'm completely hooked. This reminds me very much of how I felt when the "all-new" Uncanny X-Men series was unfolding issue to issue during the Claremont/C0ckrum/Byrne days. That's a big statement, but it's very true in my case.

Wow, really? Was with this book until the teens, when I had to cut back on my orders, and figured that this was soon to go the way of GenX, X-Force, New Mutants, etc. But if it's that good, maybe I'll pick up the trades!

JDH
03-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I like Young's work, for much the same reason as Crom. Maybe I'll check this out, with a view to dipping into the big Exinction event looming on the horizon.

rilynil
03-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Wow, really? Was with this book until the teens, when I had to cut back on my orders, and figured that this was soon to go the way of GenX, X-Force, New Mutants, etc. But if it's that good, maybe I'll pick up the trades!
I bet you'll like the trades, Teague. I'm not saying this run is destined to be a classic run such as the Claremont stuff or that all the characters will become as iconic. But I do find myself emotionally hooked by the characters in the same fashion as when Nightcrawler, Colossus and friends were new. All I know is that I'm 41 and the anticipation I feel for the next NXM issue is much like I felt for Uncanny when I was 12. I can't say that about very many things in my life. :laugh: Every time a new issue comes out, I find myself reading it again and again until the next one arrives.

I bought several trades of the pre-Yost/Kyle New X-Men, and they've done an outstanding job making the series fresh and exciting since taking over. They've built a real sense of danger around the New X-Men. Of the whole lot, I think only X-23 is safe from being killed off. That's a lot of suspense the writing team has built in me.

Some folks may not see the same things I see in the series, but I'm just lovin' the New X-Men. :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

cblakey1
03-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Looks too much like Anime (Manga?) art to me! Not interested.

True. X-23 does sorta look like [Vertigo] Death Manga, but that's not a bad thing.

Ghost
03-23-2007, 07:31 PM

Ditto, Tiggo.

I think he has a kewl style, which I refer to most of the time the grafitti/tagger style but I only admire it as cover art or one shot splash page or poster. I can't stand reading a whole book based on his stuff.

and while some might call me a hypocrit, a style/artist I do miss is Kaare Andrews. I think he really has a kewl more animated style but not manga. He did a few issues of Ultimate Xmen back in the start and wish he did more.

Oh and I know what leggy means but what exactly is "chic" when side by side with leggy?

Tony Coca
03-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow that really sucks.

rilynil
03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Wow that really sucks.
:laugh:
Yep, everyone's entitled to an opinion! But you get a couple whacks anyway: :stick: ....:stick:

;)

Tony Coca
03-23-2007, 07:59 PM
:laugh:
Yep, everyone's entitled to an opinion! But you get a couple whacks anyway: :stick: ....:stick:

;)

no hate against the characters I just dont care for Scottie Youngs artwork.

rilynil
03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
no hate against the characters I just dont care for Scottie Youngs artwork.
Just messin' with ya :thumbs2:

XSE
03-23-2007, 11:12 PM
I am not thrilled with the new artist but I will be sticking around as long as the stories stay as good as they have been. Kyle and Yost kill on this book!! I figure the new artist won't be around that long anyway.

SD RUM
03-23-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm not too familiar with the New X-Men. Some of the characters look great and seem interesting. I'll probably start picking these issues up. Rockslide seems pretty cool.

Tony Coca
03-24-2007, 12:29 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing Marcos Matin (Dr Strang Oath and Batgirl year one artist) Doing this book.

ickwinzs
03-24-2007, 12:39 AM

I agree Teague, this reminds me of ramos art yuk too

rilynil
03-24-2007, 01:06 AM
I am not thrilled with the new artist but I will be sticking around as long as the stories stay as good as they have been. Kyle and Yost kill on this book!! **I figure the new artist won't be around that long anyway.**
This thought has occurred to me, too. I read on the Marvel Web site or somewhere that the upcoming series of stories was billed as "Skottie Young's arc on New X-Men" or something to that effect. That might be implying that this is Young's ONLY arc on NXM. Plus, I believe the majority of the arc takes place in some sort of magical dimension, which means Young's art may be very useful in boosting a feeling of "otherness." I believe I'll enjoy Young's art, but I would LOVE IT if Paco Medina and Juan Vlasco come back after this arc.

Either way, I'm going to be happy if Kyle and Yost stay as the NXM writers. They're wicked good. :buttrock:

Wolverine1
03-24-2007, 04:26 AM
I like that art, cant wait!

2000man
03-24-2007, 06:59 AM
I don't like Scottie Young's art, at all

sketch515
03-24-2007, 10:56 AM
YES!!!! Scottie is awesome. i can't wait for this to start.

rilynil
03-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Looks like my hunch was wrong. Skottie Young is not a one-arc artist on NXM. I found this on the Marvel Web site:

With one arc in production, Young seems firmly entrenched in NEW X-MEN. "He's ongoing as far as we're concerned," says X-editor Nick Lowe. "We love what he's doing and we want him to stay for a long time."

I love Paco Medina on NXM, but I think there's more good stuff coming, too. :thumbs2:

workingdog
03-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Young wrote and drew the Frankenstein Monster backup story in the recent "Legion of Monsters: Werewolf by Night." His artwork had a Bernie Wrightson/Mike Ploog feel to it and I enjoyed it.

http://i3.tinypic.com/47lmk94.jpg

marvelboi77
04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't like Scottie Young's art, at all

Hey, it's not fair to bash someone's art. If you don't like it keep your mouth shut.

rilynil
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
This week's New X-Men issue was awesome. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because I don't know the history of Magik and such, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable read. Rockslide is one of the most entertaining characters around. He cracks me up. :)

I really enjoyed the artwork, too. I think I'm going to like Skottie Young (although about half of this month's issue was drawn by another artist).

XSE
04-09-2007, 11:45 PM
The rest of the artwork for this issue was done by Nico Henrichon (I think I butchered that)... but it is the guy who drew The Pride of Baghdad graphic novel....which is AMAZING if you haven't read it. I am interested in this new arc but I don't know much about Magik either except that:
1. She is Colossus' sister
2. She was a New Mutant
3. She got the Legacy Virus and "died"
4. Somewhere in between she got sent to Limbo for seconds which was really years hence the jump in age
5. She had a prominent role in the New X-Men HOM issues
6. And she has a soul-sword...not really sure about that
7. Amanda Sefton is also called Magik....i think she has a role in this arc...she is Nightcrawler's ex from the old Excalibur title...a gypsy something another

rilynil
04-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the info, XSE! I think this is going to be an incredible arc. :)

Teague
04-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey, it's not fair to bash someone's art. If you don't like it keep your mouth shut.

He's not bashing it. He's saying he doesn't like it. That's opinion, not slander. I agree that no one should trash-talk someone else's work, but everyone has the right to express their opinion, whether they like the work or not, you know?

Teague
04-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the info, XSE! I think this is going to be an incredible arc. :)

I'm looking forward to reading this in collected form. I've heard a lot of good things, and I can get past the art if the story is good. I just can't afford to add yet another title to my pull-list.

bjread
04-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Majik was originally a New Mutant....she was a teenager. At somepoint in time she had a revert back to childhood. That is when she contracted the Legacy Virus (which cause some VERY interesting changes/things to happen with Colossus) and died. This new story in New X-men is NOT the same Magik. This is the Magik (Illyana Rasputin) from House of M Universe.

rilynil
04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Majik was originally a New Mutant....she was a teenager. At somepoint in time she had a revert back to childhood. That is when she contracted the Legacy Virus (which cause some VERY interesting changes/things to happen with Colossus) and died. This new story in New X-men is NOT the same Magik. This is the Magik (Illyana Rasputin) from House of M Universe.
Cool info to know! Thanks, BJ. But one clarification: As far as the newest issue of NXM is concerned, it's not even established that Illyana Rasputin is alive, in any form. In this issue, she appears only in a story that Blindfold is telling to some of the other students. The devil character is coming to Xavier's believing the mutants will know where she is. :thumbs2:

But I shy away from spoilers of any sort, so you may know more than me about upcoming issues.

bjread
04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Cool info to know! Thanks, BJ. But one clarification: As far as the newest issue of NXM is concerned, it's not even established that Illyana Rasputin is alive, in any form. In this issue, she appears only in a story that Blindfold is telling to some of the other students. The devil character is coming to Xavier's believing the mutants will know where she is. :thumbs2:

But I shy away from spoilers of any sort, so you may know more than me about upcoming issues.

I read about it being the HoM Illyana in the interview on the Majik arc over on Newsaram.com

endsongjen
04-10-2007, 12:23 PM
thanx for clarifying that guys!! havent read it yet but cant wait

XSE
04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
As far as the newest issue of NXM is concerned, it's not even established that Illyana Rasputin is alive, in any form.

She came back at the end of the previous issue... the end of the Mercury Rising arc....the last prologue showed her crashing down somewhere.... Italy maybe

marvelboi77
04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
He's not bashing it. He's saying he doesn't like it. That's opinion, not slander. I agree that no one should trash-talk someone else's work, but everyone has the right to express their opinion, whether they like the work or not, you know?

No, I think for this particular poster, not liking it is forbiden. After all he whines when others do not like a certain artist art. So I think he should learn some lessons from himself.

rilynil
04-10-2007, 10:25 PM
She came back at the end of the previous issue... the end of the Mercury Rising arc....the last prologue showed her crashing down somewhere.... Italy maybe
I'm not so sure. I've read that the person at the end of NXM 36 is Amanda Shefton (the second Magik) not Illyana Rasputin. In fact, NXM 37 tells the story of Belasco, the demon lord who cast out the Shefton Magik from Limbo. And that Belasco is attacking the Xavier mansion because he's searching for his original apprentice, Illyana.

Like I said, I'm no expert on these Magik characters, but that's what I've pieced together from the last couple NXM issues and the Marvel forum boards.

But you could be right! :)