PDA

View Full Version : Need your help on Marvel Civil War...

Toy Machine
03-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi all,

Appreciate if you could help.

I need some info, I recently bought marvel tpb - prelude to civil war.
and from the marvel websites, these are the upcoming civil tpb that will be releasing soon.

following civil war trade paperback

1. CIVIL WAR
2. CIVIL WAR: IRON MAN
3. CIVIL WAR: MARVEL UNIVERSE
4. CIVIL WAR COMPANION
5. BLACK PANTHER: CIVIL WAR
6. CIVIL WAR: WAR CRIMES
7. CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE BOOK 1
8. CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE BOOK 2
9. CIVIL WAR: X-MEN UNIVERSE
10. CIVIL WAR: CAPTAIN AMERICA
11. CIVIL WAR: WOLVERINE
12. CIVIL WAR: YOUNG AVENGERS & RUNAWAYS
13. CIVIL WAR: FANTASTIC FOUR
14. CIVIL WAR: X-MEN
15. CIVIL WAR: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
16. CIVIL WAR: THUNDERBOLTS

Question 1 - did I miss out any other titles?

Question 2 - why is there Ms Marvel Hard Cover vol 2 civil war and New Avengers Hard Cover vol 5 civil war...??? :confused:
These 2 titles are currently available for sale but the main civil war tpb have yet to release...

Question 3 - is there a sequence in reading them ? I don't collect normal comics, only tpb. so I have no idea on the sequence (if any)

Thank you in advance.

rilynil
03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
I going to pick the Civil War stuff up in TPB, and I was wondering about what order (if any) to read them. Besides the main Civil War trade, is any of the others considered essential? Any recomendations?

Gatekeeper2Hell
03-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Question 1 - did I miss out any other titles?

I don't know when they are planned to be put out in trades, but Heroes For Hire 1-3 and Punisher:War Journal 1-3 were Civil War. Part of the current arc for Moonknight (issues 7-8?) had a Cap appearance. And Blade 5 drafted him into SHIELD and sent him after Wolverine.

Question 2 - why is there Ms Marvel Hard Cover vol 2 civil war and New Avengers Hard Cover vol 5 civil war...??? :confused:
These 2 titles are currently available for sale but the main civil war tpb have yet to release...

These are volumes 2 (issues 6-10) and 5 (issuses 21-25) of trades of the current titles. And the arcs of these books were out before Civil War 7. It took Marvel 9 months to put out 7 issues. And aside from Frontline and Wolverine, I don't think any tie-in title had more than 5 issues.

Question 3 - is there a sequence in reading them ? I don't collect normal comics, only tpb. so I have no idea on the sequence (if any)

Thank you in advance.

It's all mixed together.

1. CIVIL WAR critical piece
2. CIVIL WAR: IRON MAN independent piece
3. CIVIL WAR: MARVEL UNIVERSE independent piece
4. CIVIL WAR COMPANION didn't read
5. BLACK PANTHER: CIVIL WAR didn't read
6. CIVIL WAR: WAR CRIMES independent piece
7. CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE BOOK 1 critical piece
8. CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE BOOK 2 critical piece
9. CIVIL WAR: X-MEN UNIVERSE independent piece
10. CIVIL WAR: CAPTAIN AMERICA independent piece
11. CIVIL WAR: WOLVERINE independent piece
12. CIVIL WAR: YOUNG AVENGERS & RUNAWAYS didn't read
13. CIVIL WAR: FANTASTIC FOUR critical piece
14. CIVIL WAR: X-MEN independent piece
15. CIVIL WAR: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN critical piece
16. CIVIL WAR: THUNDERBOLTS independent piece

Civil War and Frontline are the major stories. ASM & FF, both by JMS, link into what's happens in Civil War. At one point ASM and FF do different viewpoints on the same scene. ASM, CW, and Punisher all tie together when Spidey turns on Stark.

Most of the other books occure somewhere between CW#1 and #7, but where generally doesn't matter. They reflect how different characters are viewing and resacting to events. (And in some cases, came out before the event they were reacting to and couldn't mention it.) If you read CW#1, your pretty much ready for the independent stories.

Gatekeeper2Hell
03-26-2007, 12:39 AM
I going to pick the Civil War stuff up in TPB, and I was wondering about what order (if any) to read them. Besides the main Civil War trade, is any of the others considered essential? Any recomendations?

That's a different question.

As stated above, Civil War, Frontline, Amazing Spidey, FF, and Punisher would be the major pieces. And at some points it helps to be reading them all at the same time.

Cap has a good storyline focusing on what his supporting characters are doing in his absence. This allows the chance for their development.

Iron Man focuses on him running the war and his new place in Marvel. This is decent, but I feel it points out that Stark is clearly on the way to becoming the next threat that Marvel will have to take down, if he survives Hulk.

Wolverine's story was too long and seemed padded. I think you could have cut at least 2 issues out of the arc and moved on to something else.

I'm not sure if Thunderbolts was written for the non-Thunderbolt reader. This was part of their buildup to confront the Gamemaster and just used Civil War to round up extra bad guys to help them.

I didn't care for Civil War: X-Men, but I'm sick of reading Hine. If you liked District X, Mutopia X, and X-Men: The 198, you might like this.

On the other hand, X-Men Universe collects Cable & Deadpool and X-Factor which I did enjoy and recommend.

War Crimes was interesting, but I'm only seeing it online as a one-shot about Fisk & Stark rather than as part of a trade.

Marvel Universe is just a collection of the odds and ends that don't fit elsewhere.

The Heroes For Hire book didn't impress me and seemed pointless, so I dropped it. Blade was only one issue, that is only important to his title. And I haven't gotten a chance to read Moonknight 8. (MK7 ended w/ him finding Cap in his home.) So I don't know how important that might end up being outside the MK title.

rilynil
03-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks so much, Gatekeeper. That's a big help! The only thing I've read so far is the Runaways/Young Avengers miniseries because I couldn't wait. :) I liked it.

Toy Machine
03-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks GateKeeper, for the info.

I think I now the this list correct

release dates obtained from marvel website

1. Prelude to Civil War - 2007-02-07 - have released
2. MS. MARVEL VOL. 2: CIVIL WAR PREMIERE - 2007-03-07 - have released
3. NEW AVENGERS VOL. 5: CIVIL WAR PREMIERE 2007-02-28 - have released

1. CIVIL WAR - 2007-04-11
2. CIVIL WAR: IRON MAN - 2007-06-06
3. CIVIL WAR: MARVEL UNIVERSE - 2007-06-06
4. CIVIL WAR COMPANION - 2007-05-30
5. BLACK PANTHER: CIVIL WAR - 2007-05-23
6. CIVIL WAR: WAR CRIMES - 2007-05-16
7. CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE BOOK 1 - 2007-04-18
8. CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE BOOK 2 - 2007-05-09
9. CIVIL WAR: X-MEN UNIVERSE - 2007-05-09
10. CIVIL WAR: CAPTAIN AMERICA - 2007-05-02
11. CIVIL WAR: WOLVERINE - 2007-05-02
12. CIVIL WAR: YOUNG AVENGERS & RUNAWAYS - 2007-05-02
13. CIVIL WAR: FANTASTIC FOUR - 2007-04-25
14. CIVIL WAR: X-MEN - 2007-04-25
15. CIVIL WAR: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN - 2007-04-18
16. CIVIL WAR: THUNDERBOLTS - 2007-04-18

damn..so many books to buy...:banghead:

Toy Machine
03-26-2007, 01:52 AM
So with Gatekeeper's info

I should just purchase the following.

1. Prelude to Civil War - bought it.

1. CIVIL WAR critical piece
7. CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE BOOK 1 critical piece
8. CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE BOOK 2 critical piece
13. CIVIL WAR: FANTASTIC FOUR critical piece
15. CIVIL WAR: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN critical piece

and skip the rest of the tpb... now that should save alot of $$$

Thanks..!!!

bjread
03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I would say the CW Spider-man New Avengers FF and Cap are reads that need to be a part of the story. Maybe wolverine too.