PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on buying an old comic

rilynil
03-26-2007, 01:38 AM
I've been thinking about finding a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 13 (the first appearance of Mysterio). I've seen copies on eBay going from anywhere from $200 to $800.

Obviously, the better-condition stuff is going to cost more, but does anyone have any advice for me on my search? I see some that list the copies as "unrestored." What should I be looking out for? Is buying a graded copy considered much safer?

I want a good looking copy to display next to my FS Bowen Mysterio. I guess I'm asking what are the questions I should be asking the sellers. :laugh: Any tips would be appreciated!

Wolverine1
03-26-2007, 02:52 AM
Find it at a con.

hawkeyethearcher
03-26-2007, 03:24 AM
http://www.pedigreecomics.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=062be424d41d506c2426063997a7cd79

http://www.comiclink.com/forsale.asp

these are a couple places i look if i am spending a good amount of many. i dont use ebay if i start hitting over 500. if you have the cash cons are always good. i have gotten some good deals just by googling comic stores and calling up random stores. sometimes you get lucky and they have what you are looking for at the right price.

JadeGiant
03-26-2007, 03:29 AM
cash at a con is always a good option, especially if a dealer has it close to the end of the show

firestorm
03-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Convention over eBay... always the better option, trust me...

ant-man
03-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Convention oner ebay...had a chance for a SS #1 for $170 in VF-NM (and could of haggled off another $20) but didnt pull the trigger on it...:banghead:

so..conventions are the place....

rilynil
03-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys. :) But unfortunately, the biggest cons are a long way from here. Atlanta, Nashville and Birmingham are the closest of the big cities. But I'm going to keep my eye out. Maybe there are some smaller cons in the region.
Thanks for the links, hawkeyethearcher! :thumbs2:

whd
03-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I'd definitely prefer to check the book out personally before spending any sizeable amount of money. There are an awful lot of restored books out there that are being sold as pristine condition. Tape is nice and noticeable, but it gets tougher to spot when a book has been trimmed by half an inch. I had a friend who a bought an X-Men 95 at one show, only to discover that the book had an odd number of pages. A page had been meticulously sliced from the book, probably because it had been torn. Luckily he was able to get his money back and return the book to the dealer, who most likely had no idea there was ever any problem with it.

Teague
03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I've never had luck at conventions, but then, I've only really gone to SDCC, which may be a bad place, I don't know. And I'm not usually there for the last afternoon, which might be when all the deals get made. But I've just had no luck at conventions--everything's so danged expensive!

I'm generally more concerned with filling in my collection, though, rather than getting everything in high grade. So I don't think I've ever paid over $500 for a comic, ever, on eBay or elsewhere.

hawkeyethearcher
03-26-2007, 02:01 PM
sdc is not a good place for deals. way to many people to justify dropping prices. in LA there is a pretty good sized convention every month in a hotel. if you can find these kind of local conventions you can usually haggle. especially if you are patient and wait a few months. if noone has bought a comic you have seen there month after month you can talk them down easier, u just risk someone else buying it.

Teague
03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
sdc is not a good place for deals. way to many people to justify dropping prices. in LA there is a pretty good sized convention every month in a hotel. if you can find these kind of local conventions you can usually haggle. especially if you are patient and wait a few months. if noone has bought a comic you have seen there month after month you can talk them down easier, u just risk someone else buying it.

Yeah, that makes sense. Smaller cons must be the places to go...unfortunately, I've only been to a few. They do happen from time to time here in Denver, but I never go. Maybe I should check them out sometime...

protector2814
03-26-2007, 02:09 PM
I buy all my silver age at local cons. You can see what your buying, take a walk to think about it or find a better deal. With the movie coming out, you may even find a dealer who's selling Spidey at a discount (I've had luck like this in the past). With a display copy, you can really look around at a con.
You'll have fun.

Wolverine1
03-27-2007, 04:13 AM
Thanks guys. :) But unfortunately, the biggest cons are a long way from here. Atlanta, Nashville and Birmingham are the closest of the big cities. But I'm going to keep my eye out. Maybe there are some smaller cons in the region.
Thanks for the links, hawkeyethearcher! :thumbs2:
Come to an Alt one Ril, Ill see if I can come to the next big one! Or come to Heores!

snappahead
03-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, cons are the best option, but I can certainly vouch for Comiclink. It's a great site and they're always amazingly fast once you buy. Great packaging of the books and awesome selections. Most of my gold and silver age books were bought through Comiclink.

I'd alo recommend buying a grading copy if your'e going to buy online. Middle grades aren't usually over priced and this way, your'e at least sure of what your'e getting. Also, you can always crack the slab if you don't want it in there.

Good luck!

rilynil
03-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Come to an Alt one Ril, Ill see if I can come to the next big one! Or come to Heores!
I just looked at a map: Charlotte is not as far away as I thought! But Atlanta is by far the easiest for me to come to. I'm originally from Birmingham and Atlanta is only a couple hours away. I'm going to have to get to a con, because I know I'm missing out.

It would be awesome to meet you at one of these cons, Wolv!

rilynil
03-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah, cons are the best option, but I can certainly vouch for Comiclink. It's a great site and they're always amazingly fast once you buy. Great packaging of the books and awesome selections. Most of my gold and silver age books were bought through Comiclink.

I'd alo recommend buying a grading copy if your'e going to buy online. Middle grades aren't usually over priced and this way, your'e at least sure of what your'e getting. Also, you can always crack the slab if you don't want it in there.

Good luck!
Thanks, Snappa! I feel sure I'll buy a graded copy if I'm buying online. But once I get an ASM 13, I'll display it in another bag and board, because I won't be reselling it. It'll just stand next to my FS Mysterio. :buttrock:

nightstar1441
03-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey Ril - I've actually done the Atlanta Con - it's spaced out through three hotels. It wasn't bad (please take in mind I go to SDCC every year so I amy not be one to judge) and there are some really good deals to be found there. I was able to get a great lot of high end Invaders. It's a 3 day convention and defintely not worth the full 3 days IMO. I was able to do everything I wanted within one day - but get their early to register (I'm talking 8 Am here) because that line grows fast and you could be waiting 3 hours to get in.

rilynil
03-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey Ril - I've actually done the Atlanta Con - it's spaced out through three hotels. It wasn't bad (please take in mind I go to SDCC every year so I amy not be one to judge) and there are some really good deals to be found there. I was able to get a great lot of high end Invaders. It's a 3 day convention and defintely not worth the full 3 days IMO. I was able to do everything I wanted within one day - but get their early to register (I'm talking 8 Am here) because that line grows fast and you could be waiting 3 hours to get in.
Sounds great, nightstar! I'm going to find out the dates and make sure I get over there for at least a day or two. I go to concerts in Atlanta fairly regularly, so it's a very easy drive. I'll stay a couple of nights if it involves an early-morning registration.

This could be very cool! :)

Roguewarrior
03-28-2007, 12:09 PM
I've been thinking about finding a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 13 (the first appearance of Mysterio). I've seen copies on eBay going from anywhere from $200 to $800.

Obviously, the better-condition stuff is going to cost more, but does anyone have any advice for me on my search? I see some that list the copies as "unrestored." What should I be looking out for? Is buying a graded copy considered much safer?

I want a good looking copy to display next to my FS Bowen Mysterio. I guess I'm asking what are the questions I should be asking the sellers. :laugh: Any tips would be appreciated!

I think that the graded copies (the one in the air-tight containers). Are like an inflated market. You can get it, but if the market pops you have lost a lot of money. I think that it is better to go with ungraded. I personally dont see a problem with a professional 'restored' comic. But it has to do with the quality of the restoration, because there are some botched jobs out there I am sure.

Teague
03-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I think that the graded copies (the one in the air-tight containers). Are like an inflated market. You can get it, but if the market pops you have lost a lot of money. I think that it is better to go with ungraded. I personally dont see a problem with a professional 'restored' comic. But it has to do with the quality of the restoration, because there are some botched jobs out there I am sure.

I don't have a problem with professional restoration, either, personally--but I do want to know about the restoration before I buy, for sure.

I don't buy CGC-graded comics either, if I can help it. I just don't see the point. Either it becomes ubiquitous, and the prices drop because of greater competition in the marketplace, or it fades away and you've lost money on it. Either way, I don't see the rush. My only beef about it is that I still need to buy a Hulk 181, and it's damn hard to find any of those that haven't been graded already.

tigertank1225
03-28-2007, 09:17 PM
when you find this book make sure you inspect the black boarder in the middle of the spine. that's where they like to touch this one up.oh and yes that combo of the fs mystero and comic together will look good:thumbs2:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/tigertank1225/Picture024.jpg

Wolverine1
03-29-2007, 04:58 AM
It would be awesome to meet you at one of these cons, Wolv!

For sure my brother, for sure! :buttrock:

Post the Atl daters if you know them, Im def going to Heroes, but Ill see if I can sneak to the Atl one too, maybe we can meet up with Sam and a few other Southern Knights there too.

kodyvenom
03-29-2007, 05:19 AM
I always buy graded comics if I am shelling out big bucks, there no disagreement over the grades and if I sell it again no hassels, personel choice in what you believe.
Saying that I would not display an expensive comic with a statue either. Love the idea and look. But the damage that occures to the comic from sunlight, tempreture changes etc is not worth it to me. Rather I would have a high grade color copy of the comic in a sleeve instead and have the same effect :thumbs2:

tigertank1225
03-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I always buy graded comics if I am shelling out big bucks, there no disagreement over the grades and if I sell it again no hassels, personel choice in what you believe.
Saying that I would not display an expensive comic with a statue either. Love the idea and look. But the damage that occures to the comic from sunlight, tempreture changes etc is not worth it to me. Rather I would have a high grade color copy of the comic in a sleeve instead and have the same effect :thumbs2:

i have news for you as we speak your's and everyone's comics are slowly deteriating. sunlight does not hit my books nor the tempreture change affect them. the room i have them in is cool at all times. if you can't look and enjoy these books what good are they?