PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man & Submariner #1...should i have bought these?

ant-man
03-26-2007, 09:48 AM
i was at a convention this weekend...and a dealer had a IM #1 and Subby #1 for $35...i wasnt prepared...and well...i passed...a good deal? im thinking i was a dumb ass...and will regret this...oh well..:banghead:

whd
03-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Were they high grade? If they were, then I'd say you may have reason to kick. :)

ant-man
03-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Were they high grade? If they were, then I'd say you may have reason to kick. :)

yeah...atleast...VF-NM..really clean copies...i thought it was fishy...a little but...if he shows again..at the next one...ill be ready...but sad to say...im sure i missed out...:bawling:

MONSTER
03-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Sounds to good to be true. Something must have been up.

whd
03-26-2007, 10:04 AM
I've no idea what the actual guide prices might be on these books, but I would think that neither of them would be worth much less than $35 on their own. If the deal seemed suspicious at the time, then there's a good chance that it was. You may have some regrets, but sometimes it's best to trust your instincts. :thumbs2:

Babytoxie
03-26-2007, 10:20 AM
i was at a convention this weekend...and a dealer had a IM #1 and Subby #1 for $35...i wasnt prepared...and well...i passed...a good deal? im thinking i was a dumb ass...and will regret this...oh well..:banghead:

If they were really good copies, then that sounds waaaaay fishy to me. I say you were right in passing on them.

tedmic
03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't understand. What could be fishy? could they be fakes? Restored? Even if restored, wouldn't they still be worth $35? Can someone explain exactly what could be the downside? I picked up a copy of Sub-Mariner #1 at a show 5 years ago that was almost VF for $10 and later sold it on Ebay for $60.

ant-man
03-26-2007, 11:05 AM
...thanks guys for the input...he also had alot of 70's horror...dirt cheap...( werewolf by night, Frankenstein, etc...) i grabbed them and just didnt have enough money...i only had enuff to help fill in my run on Captain americas so i p/u 4 issues of cap in the 120's for $20 bucks (all in vf+)

i thought of going back to get them...but...oh well...

CanadianMachine
03-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Thats to good to be true. I paid $80 for my SM #1 in vf/nm condition and you cant get an IM #1 in vf/nm condition for $35.

Teague
03-26-2007, 11:25 AM
If the deal was kosher, then it was an amazing deal!

And it might have been...the IM book is worth a lot more than the Subby, of course, especially given IM's role in CW...but even the Namor book is worth a lot in high grade...a lot more than $35. But if the books have been languishing in his stock for a while, maybe he just wanted done with them...we have a Subby #1 at our store in high grade (but not CGCed) for something like $99 (down to $75 during some sales), and it doesn't get much attention at all.

ant-man
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
If the deal was kosher, then it was an amazing deal!

And it might have been...the IM book is worth a lot more than the Subby, of course, especially given IM's role in CW...but even the Namor book is worth a lot in high grade...a lot more than $35. But if the books have been languishing in his stock for a while, maybe he just wanted done with them...we have a Subby #1 at our store in high grade (but not CGCed) for something like $99 (down to $75 during some sales), and it doesn't get much attention at all.

thats amazing...i would think it would do well...but..it over with...ill hit the show again ...and if hes there...ill do it...but...the odds are i missed out...

live and learn...live and learn...

Babytoxie
03-26-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't understand. What could be fishy? could they be fakes? Restored? Even if restored, wouldn't they still be worth $35? Can someone explain exactly what could be the downside? I picked up a copy of Sub-Mariner #1 at a show 5 years ago that was almost VF for $10 and later sold it on Ebay for $60.

I don't keep up with any price guides, so I'm just basing my reply on my experience. In 1986 or so, I paid $12 for a VG-F copy of Sub-Mariner #1. Based on that price at that time, a VF-NM copy might have gone for $18 or higher. Prices for comics, especially "key issues" have climbed a bit since then, so I just figure a good-looking copy of Subby #1 would be higher than $35 today. And Iron Man #1 even more so.

JadeGiant
03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
there is NO WAY those were in good shape if it was a dealer. Now maybe someone walking around or a collector set up to cash out a collection ... even so, those books would not have lasted more than a couple minutes as the other dealers would have snagged them in a heartbeat

Underdog07
03-26-2007, 08:01 PM
even restored, those are good prices in that condition

Underdog07
03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Ant-Man: What show and overall is the show worth going to? I am always looking for decent shows (damn you Big Crapple!)

patrickwm68
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
About 10 or 15 years ago I bought Giant Size X-Men #1 (VG) and Uncanny X-Men #94 (VG) for $100.00 ($50.00 each). Sometimes you do find a seller who just doesn't care or has no clue what he's got.

Alex655321
03-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I would have brought them in a heartbeat for $35 bucks.

tigertank1225
03-26-2007, 08:40 PM
there is NO WAY those were in good shape if it was a dealer. Now maybe someone walking around or a collector set up to cash out a collection ... even so, those books would not have lasted more than a couple minutes as the other dealers would have snagged them in a heartbeat

i agree 100%. iron man #1 for $35 bucks in vf to nm. price should be more like $200 to $350 all day. the other dealers would have pick these up even befor the show started. smell's really fishy. :confused:

risingstar
03-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Sometimes I think the silver age market has cooled off... There doesn't seem to be nearly as many people clamoring for older books as there used to be. I wonder what this market will look like in 20 years.

Save for really high grade key books, I suspect many comic book prices will sink in the long term. There just aren't enough kids growing up caring to have these things.

JMO

Underdog07
03-26-2007, 10:53 PM
About 10 or 15 years ago I bought Giant Size X-Men #1 (VG) and Uncanny X-Men #94 (VG) for $100.00 ($50.00 each). Sometimes you do find a seller who just doesn't care or has no clue what he's got.

Same time frame, I got my GS X-Men 1 in about VG shape at a con for 25 cents. Half off cover because of its condition.:thumbs2:

Underdog07
03-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Maybe they were missing the Marvel Stamps or a subscription card or had writing inside?

Teague
03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Maybe they were missing the Marvel Stamps or a subscription card or had writing inside?

Ah, missing the Marvel stamps is a good guess. You never know what's lurking inside the pages of an otherwise good-looking book.