PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern: Rebirth - is it worth a damn?

Babytoxie
03-26-2007, 01:33 PM
The trade paperback of GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH is being released this week (3/28/07). As I've cut down on my trade purchases recently, I'm wondering if this is something on which I can pass. I love the freshness that Jeff Johns has injected into other DC characters, but the whole idea of bringing back Hal Jordan, especially after DC pooped all over him with Emerald Twilight, strikes me as pointless, no matter who is writing it.

Does this story "do right" by Hal? Is it worth a damn???

Teague
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
The trade paperback of GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH is being released this week (3/28/07). As I've cut down on my trade purchases recently, I'm wondering if this is something on which I can pass. I love the freshness that Jeff Johns has injected into other DC characters, but the whole idea of bringing back Hal Jordan, especially after DC pooped all over him with Emerald Twilight, strikes me as pointless, no matter who is writing it.

I think it is, especially for TPB prices. Whether or not the redemption totally works, is up to each reader...but for my money, it was good enough. I was glad to have Hal back.

VaultMan
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Good for a TPB read. Not if you wanna hunt for the issues, its not worth the trouble or the $, IMHO.

lord odin
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I liked it Hal was always one of my favorites and Geoff Johns is IMO the best writer in comics.:thumbs2:

Jack8022
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
<shrug> I liked it.

TheJoker
03-26-2007, 03:19 PM

DEFINATELY worth it... the entire story is fantastic...its a very good and easy read

whd
03-26-2007, 03:32 PM
I like the first story arc of the new GL series more, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Rebirth mini. I would have preferred that Pacheco did the artwork rather than Van Sciver, but it's still a good looking book and a decent read, altogether. :thumbs2:

Babytoxie
03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Whoops, make that "Geoff", not Jeff.

I'll be damned - it's worth a damn? I'll pick it up, dammit.

Special thanks to bat_collector for the initial encouragement.:thumbs2:

VaultMan
03-26-2007, 04:34 PM
I'll be damned - it's worth a damn? I'll pick it up, dammit.

Hey @#$# dammit! Watch your profanity on these boards. :laugh:

bat_collector
03-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Special thanks to bat_collector for the initial encouragement.:thumbs2:

just don't blame me if you dont like it, lol

wktf
03-26-2007, 11:38 PM
The story's better than the art.

Raven1014
03-27-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm not a Hal Jordan fan (sue me...I like Kyle Rayner :eek: ), but I found this be a very solid story. It does a pretty good job of explaining/correcting (depending on your point of view) of all of Hal's actions over the last decade or so. In TPB form, I say it's definitely worth it for the story.

Primal
03-27-2007, 06:15 AM
I loved it & even enjoyed Sciver's art.

You wont regret it.

Babytoxie
04-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Finally read it. Yes, I'd say this story is pretty solid. I certainly enjoyed it, and it's nice to finally have an explanation for the yellow impurity.

What I didn't like is how the JLA was featured so prominently, but all they really did was stand around and stare slack-jawed at all this cosmic business. Well, except for Batman of course. Wow, could he be any more of a douchebag? I know Johns is using him as a mouthpiece for the opposing viewpoint, but good grief.

Anyway: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

lord odin
04-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Finally read it. Yes, I'd say this story is pretty solid. I certainly enjoyed it, and it's nice to finally have an explanation for the yellow impurity.

What I didn't like is how the JLA was featured so prominently, but all they really did was stand around and stare slack-jawed at all this cosmic business. Well, except for Batman of course. Wow, could he be any more of a douchebag? I know Johns is using him as a mouthpiece for the opposing viewpoint, but good grief.

Anyway: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

Batman isn`t like that anymore the bat is back.:buttrock:

Babytoxie
04-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Batman isn`t like that anymore the bat is back.:buttrock:

Right, I keep forgetting about the OYL business.