PDA

View Full Version : Reforming Super-Villains

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
One of the potentially most annoying story ideas is that of deciding that a character used as a villain has reformed and is now fighting on the side of the angels.

Some popular examples that come to my mind include Magneto (but he's bad again, I think), Juggernaut, Thunderbolts, Black Cat and Ares.

Now, while I hate to lose a good villain, there are a couple of Marvel characters I'd like to see taken in this direction for a couple of reasons;
a) There seem to be some possibility for this established in their history,
b) I always wanted to see more of these characters on a reguar basis.

Taskmaster

He's always been in it for the money. In his first appearance he states that he'd considered the role of a hero, but decided there was more to be gained on the other side of the law. Given that the "villain-thing" hasn't been working out for him lately (he's been on the receiving end of some beatings lately), whose to say this isn't enough for him to rethink his choices.

Enchantress

More of an opportunist than a true villain, she's been pardoned in Asgard for her crimes, why not have her play the part of magic-user / resident Asgardian on a new Avengers line-up? This is one character I could definitely see in a monthly ongoing team book series.

So, anyone else out there you want to see switch sides?

TheJoker
03-29-2007, 11:56 AM
One of the potentially most annoying story ideas is that of deciding that a character used as a villain has reformed and is now fighting on the side of the angels.

Some popular examples that come to my mind include Magneto (but he's bad again, I think), Juggernaut, Thunderbolts, Black Cat and Ares.

Now, while I hate to lose a good villain, there are a couple of Marvel characters I'd like to see taken in this direction for a couple of reasons;
a) There seem to be some possibility for this established in their history,
b) I always wanted to see more of these characters on a reguar basis.

Taskmaster

He's always been in it for the money. In his first appearance he states that he'd considered the role of a hero, but decided there was more to be gained on the other side of the law. Given that the "villain-thing" hasn't been working out for him lately (he's been on the receiving end of some beatings lately), whose to say this isn't enough for him to rethink his choices.

Enchantress

More of an opportunist than a true villain, she's been pardoned in Asgard for her crimes, why not have her play the part of magic-user / resident Asgardian on a new Avengers line-up? This is one character I could definitely see in a monthly ongoing team book series.

So, anyone else out there you want to see switch sides?

I agree with you on taskmaster 100% but i think they should have left bullseye alone to be the assassin, killer for hire, revenge person in the MU and not put him on thunderbolts.(good concept though). I would like to see gladiator chance sides and thanos to actually pick a side (cause he one his own side)

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Shi'ar Gladiator?

He's pretty much a hero now, so you'd want him as a villain? Yikes, who's he going to end up fighting...the entire X-Men line-up!

moon_knight1971
03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd like to see the Constrictor reformed. He's basically hired muscle from what I've read but I think his character has lots of potential if developed correctly.

I'd like to see the new White Tiger be a villian instead of the hero as currently depicted. Love to give the Black Cat an arch nemisis.....

Crom
03-29-2007, 12:51 PM
I'd like to see the Constrictor reformed. He's basically hired muscle from what I've read but I think his character has lots of potential if developed correctly.

I'd like to see the new White Tiger be a villian instead of the hero as currently depicted. Love to give the Black Cat an arch nemisis.....

From what I understand Constrictor actually has reformed, to a degree. He used to be a SHIELD agent. I think he reformed some on in She-Hulk.

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Cat fight!

Hellcat vs Black Cat vs White Tiger vs Tigra

hawkeyethearcher
03-29-2007, 12:57 PM
i would like to see iron man on the side of the good guys.

not sure what is up with silver samuri but i wouldnt mind seeing him on the good side. protector of japan or something like that. last i heard he had an arm taken off by wolvie. i have not seen him in a decade though.

i would like to see taskmaster in his own book just like deathstroke had his.

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 12:59 PM
i would like to see iron man on the side of the good guys.

I just knew someone was going to say this...:banghead:

Silver Samurai is an interesting choice. He was part of Big Hero 6 (a lame Japanese super hero team) and recently appeared in New Avengers.

moon_knight1971
03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
I haven't been reading She-Hulk. That's great news about the Constrictor semi-reforming.:thumbs2:

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Now that you mention it, wasn't the Constrictor helping out Ben Grimm and Nighthawk in one issue of the short-lived new Thing title?

moon_knight1971
03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Cat fight!

Hellcat vs Black Cat vs White Tiger vs Tigra

Sweet!:thumbs2:

VaultMan
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Dr. Doom and Kang. Both would be pretty cool on the side of the angels. Especially, Dr. Doom.

Maybe in some golden armor like in that old issue of What If?

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 02:20 PM
I know Doom sort of did the hero thing in the 2099 series, but I would never want him to be reformed. Just too important to the MU as a villain.

As for Kang, same things apply to a lesser extent but we can always have an alternate future self of him become a hero, along the lines of what happened in Young Avengers.

What next VaultMan, Galactus becomes a member of the FF?

TheJoker
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM

thats actually not a bad idea:laugh:

VaultMan
03-29-2007, 02:48 PM

Hmmm...interesting.

I dont think the blue suit would go with that purple helmet.

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Hmmm...interesting.

Great, color fashion coordination advice from a Kang-fan. :)

http://i10.tinypic.com/2ro4boz.jpg

whd
03-29-2007, 05:33 PM
... Galactus becomes a member of the FF?

I can't wait to see how they all fit in the Fantasticar. :)

Makkari1
03-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Shi'ar Gladiator?

He's pretty much a hero now, so you'd want him as a villain? Yikes, who's he going to end up fighting...the entire X-Men line-up!

I really didn't see him as a villian he just worked for a different team. In Shi'Ar space Gladiator is a hero, he's not going around executing dastardly plots to take over the universe.

Wolverine1
03-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Now that you mention it, wasn't the Constrictor helping out Ben Grimm and Nighthawk in one issue of the short-lived new Thing title?
Yep, that was a great book.

As for my pick, Lady Deathstrike or hmm, keep Venom as a good guy.

Tetragrammaton
03-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Hmmm...interesting.

http://i7.tinypic.com/2ujk1p2.jpg

VaultMan
03-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Great, color fashion coordination advice from a Kang-fan. :)

http://i10.tinypic.com/2ro4boz.jpg

Hey! Take it easy!

Kang is a trailblazer with his style. He's from the future after all.:thumbs2: