PDA

View Full Version : X-23: Target!!

MiamiLoco
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Wow, this book is really good. Damn you Marvel for making me like X-23!!! LOL!! Anyone else picking this up? If not, u really should give it a chance, good writing, art and some great fight scenes.

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I've kind of liked the character (despite the whole Wolverine-clone thing) since her introduction on Evolution.

Target is a great little mini-series. Well written and good artwork.

http://i14.tinypic.com/2v83hmo.jpg

Meta Jon
03-29-2007, 12:04 PM
the artwork is fantastic

rilynil
03-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Kyle, Yost and Choi are doing an amazing job on the series. This is another reason I've gotten more attached to X-23 than any other new character in 25 years. This is awesome stuff.

batman1180
03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
I have been enjoying X-23 target. And the art work in it is great.

moon_knight1971
03-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes, my current favorite read believe it or not! Best X-23 storyline thus far IMO and it unfolds just like a movie. Great art just enhances it even more. Wish it was an ongoing series!

rilynil
03-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I love that Cap and Murdock's questioning of X-23 is framing the story. Very, very cool.

endsongjen
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
this is the only one i HAVE to have when it comes to comics. love the art.

Tetragrammaton
On a related note, I read on wikipedia that X-23 uses (has used) the name, Talon.

Is this her new name?

endsongjen
they used talon in the new xmen or academy x i believe, but i havent really seen them use it anymore.

Tetragrammaton
03-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks. Talon doesn't really work for her IMO.

rilynil
03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
they used talon in the new xmen or academy x i believe, but i havent really seen them use it anymore.
Nimrod referred to X-23 as Talon a couple of times in NXM, but it's always puzzled me. She arrived in NXM (with Kyle and Yost) at the beginning of the Childhood's End arc, which was after Academy X. I can't recall when else she's been referred to as Talon. It was odd.

I don't think Talon works at all as a name. Why change it from X-23? Regardless, it's been a while since that name was mentioned.

endsongjen
03-29-2007, 01:07 PM
yea thats it, she was registered with that name when the whole nimrod thing was going on. but it didnt fit, ur right. when i read it i was like wtf? whered that come from lol

whd
03-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Sounds like I may have to pick up the trade. With the exception of one Uncanny story arc, I haven't read any stories with X-23 in them.

There was a lion faced character in Guardians of the Galaxy named Talon.

There is also a new character in Teen Titans that uses the name Talon, but he's only been shown once or twice. He was one of the members during the OYL jump.

riderV3
03-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Wow, this book is really good. Damn you Marvel for making me like X-23!!! LOL!! Anyone else picking this up? If not, u really should give it a chance, good writing, art and some great fight scenes.

good story so far, I kind of like it!!

my only problem is about Choi and Oback's male characters...:(
when I saw Cap and Kingpin become pretty boys
I went "HOLY MOLY!!" :eek:

other than this, no problems at all!!
a strongly suggested read :thumbs2:

sleepindeath
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
yea thats it, she was registered with that name when the whole nimrod thing was going on. but it didnt fit, ur right. when i read it i was like wtf? whered that come from lol

Nimrod's from the future right?

So, maybe in the future X-23 encountered Nimrod while under a different alias.

rilynil
03-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Nimrod's from the future right?

So, maybe in the future X-23 encountered Nimrod while under a different alias.
You know, I think you may be right. I'm in the process of re-reading the trade with Nimrod. He's not only from the future but he's from an alternate future, so that's where his files are from. I believe we have the correct answer! Thanks :thumbs2:

rilynil
03-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Sounds like I may have to pick up the trade. With the exception of one Uncanny story arc, I haven't read any stories with X-23 in them.
Ugh, that Uncanny arc is not a really good introduction into X-23. That was written Claremont, I believe, not Kyle and Yost. He wanted to use the character before much if any of her history was developed. She inexplicably wore that brown Fang costume, did a bunch of growling and other foolishness. Likewise, the Captain Universe stuff wasn't a proper X-23 either, although it wasn't awful.

She was introduced into comics in "NYX," which was written by Joe Q and is an excellent read. I would say the essential TPB reads for X-23's past would be "X-23: Innocence Lost," which details the first 11 years of her life in the Weapon X program, and "X-23: Target X," which takes place before "NYX."

Kyle and Yost brought her into "New X-Men" when they took over the series with issue No. 20. There are three "Childhood's End" trades out that I would highly recommend, as I would the monthly series.

endsongjen
03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
nyx is a def must. i love that tpb. but read all the ones neil mentioned.

sleepindeath
03-30-2007, 07:51 AM
You know, I think you may be right. I'm in the process of re-reading the trade with Nimrod. He's not only from the future but he's from an alternate future, so that's where his files are from. I believe we have the correct answer! Thanks :thumbs2:

No Problem...I may not have the skills of Tet, but I still know what I read:)

Tetragrammaton
05-30-2007, 09:10 PM
http://i17.tinypic.com/66b1lpj.jpg

RD13
05-30-2007, 09:18 PM
nerd alert !

rilynil
05-31-2007, 12:08 AM
nerd alert !
Whatever. :stick:

:)

rilynil
05-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Since my coming was foretold by RD13 (;)), I might as well give my views of the issue that came out today.

The Target X conclusion ROCKED! The art was tremendous as usual, and the X-23/Wolverine battle was very, very cool. X-23 can certainly hold her own in a battle, and the way she found a way to gain an advantage against Logan showed she is a clever girl (to use Wolverine's words, as well as Kimura's recently).

And as it's been shown all along, X-23 may be the most tragic character in the Marvel universe because of what was done to her at the Weapon X facility throughout her childhood. There's always a huge sadness that hangs over her, and, if you're like me, you can't help but pull for her to make something of a life.

I loved Cap and Daredevil's disagreement over what to do about X-23 toward the end of the book, and the conclusion was very satisfying to me.

I've said it a hundred times, but Kyle and Yost are doing some fantastic things with X-23, both here and in the New X-Men series.
Stories like these are why I read comics.

Tetragrammaton
05-31-2007, 09:50 AM
While essentially a copy of an establish popular character, among the many others Marvel has come up with (Scarlet Spider, US Agent, Beta Ray Bill, War Machine, Genis Vell) I do think that X-23 is among Marvel's best derivative characters.

This mini was a great read.

DRL
06-01-2007, 04:13 AM
Great series! Story and artwork never dissappointed. Plus you all got the answer to the Talon debate from the first pages of this thread...

rilynil
06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Great series! Story and artwork never dissappointed. Plus you all got the answer to the Talon debate from the first pages of this thread...
You're right! I was very pleased to see the Talon reference. One thing that I love about Kyle and Yost is the same thing I loved about Whedon's Buffy television work: Few details are meaningless. That Talon reference by Nimrod was ages ago, yet here it is again. But it's still not completely explained.

I believe there will be another X-23 miniseries where this "talon" reference will be explained further. "NYX," "Innocence Lost" and "Target X" are some of the best comics I've ever read. Knowing X-23's background from these sources enhance's X-23's presence in "New X-Men" so very much.

Has anyone picked up on the fact that I love X-23? If you haven't noticed, it's true: I love X-23. :thumbs2: