PDA

View Full Version : Joe-Prize!

wktf
04-05-2007, 04:55 PM
In the spirit of Stan Lee's "No Prize" our own jdh has come up with the idea of awarding a "Joe Prize" to a forumite who can help solve a perplexing comics question. He's even gone so far as to create a nifty graphic for it!

So, people, we've got our first Joe-Prize worthy question going on in this week's Mighty Reviews thread regarding the explosion of The Hulk's space craft and the destruction of his new homeworld, Sakaar.

Can anyone, other than a Mighty Reviewer, answer this question? Want to be the first Joe-Prize winner?

twisterred
04-05-2007, 05:53 PM
can you post the question here as well?

VaultMan
04-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I havent read Hulk #105 yet, but here goes my guess for the Joe prize.

The Illuminati sends the Hulk away to a far off planet, and somehow put a failsafe into the craft to stop him from ever returning. It sounds as if someone was tinkering with the ships devices and caused the explosion. My guess is that Tony, who knows that Banner is a genius, predicted that Banner might eventually try to set this ship up to return to Earth. With his intellect, he would certianly find a way. Thus, he built in a failsafe to stop that from happening. If the sensors on the ship were tampered with in a such a way as to someone start the engine after shut down, or start the navigation systems, or test the life support...you know, something that would indictate to shipboard computers that a flight to Earth was imminent, something deadly would be triggered. The explosion.

It would have to be a big enough explosion to kill the Hulk (which the OHOUTMU tells us could be ground zero of an atomic blast). In this case it was definitely large enough to kill an entire planet...

An explosion that big I would think, would have to be planned for, and executed well. No mere ship explosion could kill the Hulk, and definitely not an entire planet's population. The Hulk has good reason to be pissed. There will be no explaining this one. I dont see how Tony and the boys are gonna get out of this one.

wktf
04-05-2007, 06:26 PM
can you post the question here as well?

The question was, how did the expolsion get triggered or who did what to actually trigger the explosion in Hulk #105?

wktf
04-05-2007, 06:28 PM

The Illuminati sends the Hulk away to a far off planet, and somehow put a failsafe into the craft to stop him from ever returning. It sounds as if someone was tinkering with the ships devices and caused the explosion. My guess is that Tony, who knows that Banner is a genius, predicted that Banner might eventually try to set this ship up to return to Earth. With his intellect, he would certianly find a way. Thus, he built in a failsafe to stop that from happening. It would have to be a big enough explosion to kill the Hulk (which the OHOUTMU tells us could be ground zero of an atomic blast). In this case it was definitely large enough to kill an entire planet...

An explosion that big I would think, would have to be planned for, and executed well. No mere ship explosion could kill the Hulk, and definitely not an entire planet's population. The Hulk has good reason to be pissed. There will be no explaining this one. I dont see how Tony and the boys are gonna get out of this one.

VM, your rationale for the Illuminati's motive and actual action to rig the explosion sounds extremely plausible but if we can answer who was doing the tinkering and/or what was being tinkered with and by whom from your post that set off the blast then we've got a Joe-Prize.

patrickwm68
04-05-2007, 06:30 PM

The Illuminati sends the Hulk away to a far off planet, and somehow put a failsafe into the craft to stop him from ever returning. It sounds as if someone was tinkering with the ships devices and caused the explosion. My guess is that Tony, who knows that Banner is a genius, predicted that Banner might eventually try to set this ship up to return to Earth. With his intellect, he would certianly find a way. Thus, he built in a failsafe to stop that from happening. If the sensors on the ship were tampered with in a such a way as to someone start the engine after shut down, or start the navigation systems, or test the life support...you know, something that would indictate to shipboard computers that a flight to Earth was imminent, something deadly would be triggered. The explosion.

It would have to be a big enough explosion to kill the Hulk (which the OHOUTMU tells us could be ground zero of an atomic blast). In this case it was definitely large enough to kill an entire planet...

Yes this is what I was thinking too but he beat me to it. :)

VaultMan
04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
VM, your rationale for the Illuminati's motive and actual action to rig the explosion sounds extremely plausible but if we can answer who was doing the tinkering and/or what was being tinkered with and by whom from your post that set off the blast then we've got a Joe-Prize.

Hmmm...I may need to read the book before I guess further...

Tetragrammaton
04-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Never trust bugs.

patrickwm68
04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Never trust bugs.

Spoiler!

wktf
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM

You know what, this creative and helpful rationale for why the Illunimati planted a bomb on the Hulk's ship in and of itself is deserving of a Joe-Prize.

Sooooooo....without further ado the very first forum Joe-Prize goes to VaultMan!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/jdhgoodgrief/joeprize400.jpg

Seriously, did jdh outdo himself on this one, or what?

OK, so, is Tet right about who tripped the bomb and, if so, how was the bomb tripped?

moon_knight1971
04-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Congrats VM!:)

316what
04-05-2007, 09:35 PM
OK, so, is Tet right about who tripped the bomb and, if so, how was the bomb tripped?

Not quite. Five pinkie children made a mock-up of "Green Scar" coming out of the spaceship and inadvertantly compromised the warp core which caused the explosion.

Gatekeeper2Hell
04-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I haven't been to the LCS this week yet. But remember: Hulk ended up on that world because the ship was pulled off course by a wormhole, which caused it to crash.

For all we know, the ship may have been designed to explode sometime after it landed. But when it crashed, something was altered/misaligned which kept the ship from blowing up. If this is true, any slight change in the sensors may have started the countdown. The explosion wouldn't have required someone to do something. It's like banging on an old TV to improve the reception or hitting your dashboard to start your car. No one had to be tinkering with the ship to cause this.

Tetragrammaton
04-06-2007, 01:13 AM
If the destruction of the ship was a planned event by Reed or Tony, in order to keep the Hulk from returning, I seriously doubt they would have used an mutli-megaton uncontrolled warp core breech explosion as the the method.

As for killing the Hulk with the explosion, why would they even want that? They were out to exile him to a peaceful planet, not kill him.

Warp cores don't just explode. I don't buy it was an accident caused by the children either. Someone on Sakaar wanted that ship to explode for their own reasons. The intensity of the blast and the massive amount of damage may have been unintended.

VaultMan
04-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Warp cores don't just explode.

If warp cores were real, then this statement might be true! :laugh:

wktf
04-06-2007, 09:39 AM
I still find the triggering of this explosion baffling. I agree with Tet that the kids playing on the ship would not have set it off, and that the Illuminati wouldn't have wanted Hulk to die as they'd sent him off to find peace. Also, Miek and the female brood character getting it on inside the ship in #103 triggered the Illuminati's recorded message but do we know if that set off the reaction for the blast?

I still think VM's fail safe mechanism, assuming Hulk/Banner found a way to return is both a creative idea and plausible, though.

JDH
04-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Glad you like the Prize, Joe.:)

wktf
04-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Tet is our second Joe-Prize winner!

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=36511&page=17

And I promise I'll stop promoting the future winners. I'm just having some fun with this! :)

Tetragrammaton
11-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Is there a list of winners?

wktf
11-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Is there a list of winners?

No, I haven't compiled a list. I just know I've not given more than one out to anyone other than you, good sir. :)