PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IF DC WASN'T BORING

moon_knight1971
04-10-2007, 03:17 PM
DC has lots of great characters but seldomly do they hold my attention. Case in point, JLA just formed a team in the 7th issue (?!?). Justice has been a decent read but I often forget about what happen in the previous issue since they're so far apart. Now I realize that Marvel isn't exactly classic literature but even if not memorable, why do their stories captivate me more than DC?

pablocruze
04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
DC has lots of great characters but seldomly do they hold my attention. Case in point, JLA just formed a team in the 7th issue (?!?). Justice has been a decent read but I often forget about what happen in the previous issue since they're so far apart. Now I realize that Marvel isn't exactly classic literature but even if not memorable, why do their stories captivate me more than DC?

Isn't that the way it's always been?

moon_knight1971
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Well not always. I loved Byrne's Action run. Deathstroke and the Demon series from the 90's were cool reads. Classic New teen Titans by Perez & Wolfman of course. They have some good graphic novels too like Batman: Bride of the Demon.....

Vince-Vell
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Dunno about boring, i am loving JSA, Flash (i like bart), 52 and JLA. I never read DC growing up, but lately its all i buy now. Guess the reign of Joe Q turned me off marvel and DC caught my attention.

imthkman
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
The only 3 titles I still read are DC. JLA, JSA and GL. I used to be more of a Marvel reader, but not after all the changes that have gone on. I'm sure the stories are fine, it's just not the Marvel Universe I was used to reading about.

moon_knight1971
04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
See, that's exactly what I mean. I dug Bart in Flash and even bought Impulse for the 1st 20 issues or so. I don't dig him now for some reason. I'm always giving DC a chance but they just don't hold me like Marvel titles do. Case in point I just dropped Wonder Woman but I'm still buying Moon Knight which is written just as bad IMO....

Babytoxie
04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I certainly thought DC was ultra-boring in the '70s. COIE turned it all around.

Vince-Vell
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Actually Flash is getting more interesting, turning it into more of a invesigator flash. I think the first few issues were bad, but now the direction is headed to something much more fun. Plus the new writters are doing a good job. Im sticking with it.

I just read the last issue of WW and i enjoyed it a bit, seems like they are taking WW in the direction of learning what it is to be human. Think they got a new writter on it also. Was fun either way, and want to see where its headed for a few more issues.

MiamiLoco
04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
IF DC wasn't boring... then it would be http://www.icv2.com/images/237356Marvel_BlueLogo-md.JPG

galactus
04-10-2007, 03:49 PM

For me, it has to do with the fact that Marvel is in the "real" world (Spidey is in NYC, Batman is in Gotham) and also that the heroes of Marvel still have every day problems to deal with because they ARE regular people, they just happen to have super abilities. Basically, I can relate to the characters and world of Marvel more than DC.

moon_knight1971
04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I think that's it big G. Case in point, I loved Marvel Team -Up and Marvel 2-in-1 but dropped DC's the Brave & the Bold after issue 1.....

Makkari1
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
If DC comics was not boring then the following would happen

1.) Superman would marry Wonder Woman and have 3 super kids. (forget Lois Clark she's too frail and breaks to easy. Wonder Woman can handle what you dish out.) Plus Wonder Woman needs to get away from that island full of sexual repressed women who like to kill (go on some dates ladies, men ain't all bad.)

2.) Flash would play Football and Baseball and be the fastest player in the respected leagues. (Why have super speed if you not gonna do something for yourself once in a while.)

3.) Batman would stop ***** footing around and kill Joker and get busy with Catwoman (you know you want to Mr. Wayne:D even though she's a psychotic nut job:eek: )

4.) Darkseid would be a real threat and beat everybody's butt. But screw his own plans up in the end rather than have Supes beat him....again:mad: .

5.) Doomsday would be the Superman beat'n monster that he should be but no more of that "evolving beyond you" crap.

6.) Sundip won't work any more.

7.) Billy Batson will finally grow up and get with a woman then and only then will he be the bad ass he can be.

8.) No more Infinity Crisis it make no sense. Just make alternate universe stories if you must meet a evil Superman.

lord odin
04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
DC isn`t boring to sure there`s some books I don`t care for same with Marvel but the big difference with Marvel is all of their books are about civil bore Hulk being the exception and that`s because he`s on another planet but he`ll be boring also when he gets back.

P.S. 52 IMO is way better than Civil bore.

VaultMan
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
For me, it has to do with the fact that Marvel is in the "real" world (Spidey is in NYC, Batman is in Gotham) and also that the heroes of Marvel still have every day problems to deal with because they ARE regular people, they just happen to have super abilities. Basically, I can relate to the characters and world of Marvel more than DC.

I agree. When I started reading comics in the 70's the heroes were so fascinating, and as real as they could be given the medium. Iron Man with heart problems, Ben Grimm HATES being the Thing and gets teased constantly by someone in his own "family", Peter's a dork yet still he's a hero, you know the stories. There was ust something to Marvel heroes that made them heroic, you know? And even though they were comic books, there was always something plausible about the stories (knowing the exact tons someone could lift for example), and know the FF got their powers from cosmic rays, real things!

DC on the other hand just kinda took the fun out of stuff. There always seemed to be a happy ending to stories, and feats were just too amazing (Superman moving planets around for example). There just seemed to be, for lack of a better word - a suburban corniness to it all.

If I could paraphrase Alex Ross:
DC is the American dream - Marvel Comics is the American truth. The grit of New York City vs. Main Street USA with Mom's apple pie in the window.

whd
04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Having grown up in the 70's and 80's, I was a typical Marvel Zombie. In my mind there's no question who was the better company back then. These days I enjoy more DC books then Marvel. Most of my Marvel books I pick up as trades.

VaultMan
04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Having grown up in the 70's and 80's, I was a typical Marvel Zombie. In my mind there's no question who was the better company back then. These days I enjoy more DC books then Marvel. Most of my Marvel books I pick up as trades.

I hear you. I'm sort of losing all my comic book love these days. Though Justice, Batman, and Detective keep me coming back every month (Paul Dini is awesome on this title). And I think I might be missing something special with AS-Superman, but there's always the TPB for these down the road...

Makkari1
04-10-2007, 06:42 PM

I know what you mean, damn shame Joe Q took over.:banghead:

VaultMan
04-10-2007, 06:47 PM
I know what you mean, damn shame Joe Q took over.:banghead:

Yeah, he's a great artist and very talented. Maybe management is just not his thing.

And he hasn't done an ABYSMAL job, just many of his decisions make me wanna :banghead:

Primal
04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Anyone who has been reading DC since at least the Batman Hush storyline (which is when i jumped onboard as a regular DC reader) will know that they've increased in quality dramatically over the past few years.

The quality of Infinite Crisis was downright unbelievable & blew anything Marvel has put out for the past decade or 2.

I'm currently reading 52 & Batman and occasionally pick up other titles.
Marvel Zombie...NO MORE!

marvelboi77
04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
You guys are crazy on both threads. They both have great stuff, they both have crap....

JSA, Manhunter, and Birds of Prey are some of the best comics out there today.

whd
04-10-2007, 09:03 PM
You guys are crazy on both threads. They both have great stuff, they both have crap....

JSA, Manhunter, and Birds of Prey are some of the best comics out there today.

I can agree with all of that. :thumbs2: