PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Love!

wktf
04-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Hey Zombie fans,

Check out this weeks Legion of Monsters with Man-Thing and Simon Garth (Marvel's first zombie). Simon scores big in the morgue! There is love after death! :)

The Man-Thing story is creepy as hell, also, though the writing's a little cliche. Still a good, short, wierd read.

This issue isn't up to par with the first Werewolf by Night/Monster of Frankenstein issue but still a really good one. These stories should make for a good collected trade when done. I believe the next one is an all vampire issue with Morbius, Dracula and Lilith (Dracula's Daughter). :buttrock:

ant-man
04-13-2007, 10:56 AM
im really enjoyiing these Monster runs...fun reads....hope marvel continues with these...

tuv1305
04-14-2007, 08:06 AM
I read this last night and thought they were both fun little stories, although I enjoyed the Man-thing more.

rilynil
04-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I love this series. But I liked the first issue a bit better than the second. I loved the werewolf story and Skottie Young's piece. :buttrock: The cover of the Man-Thing is AWESOME! :thumbs2:

protector2814
04-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Was just at a local convention where I picked up the 2 issues of the 70's Tales of the Zombie. The old stories by Gerber are classic and the covers by Boris & Earl Norem are some of the most breathtaking of any of the 70's Marvel Monster mags that inspired this new Legion of Monsters series. I gotta say, I found Simon Garth's new Zombie back-up story sophomoric and insulting. To take a character with a 30+ year history dust him off for the 1st time in years, and reduce that history down to a fan-boy fantasy, is the act of a writer too cool for his own shoes. "Look at me...lets dig up a classic Marvel Monster and have him make-out with a dead chick at the end of the story. C'mon!, Garth had thirteen pages. If your going to take the time to introduce a classic 70's character to a new reader, show them why he was cool to begin with. A man murdered by the man who raped his daughter rises from the dead in search of vengeance. There's a lot to work with. Loved the Man-Thing story by Huston but Garth's take on The Zombie was written like he'd never even read the book to begin with.

ant-man
04-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Was just at a local convention where I picked up the 2 issues of the 70's Tales of the Zombie. The old stories by Gerber are classic and the covers by Boris & Earl Norem are some of the most breathtaking of any of the 70's Marvel Monster mags that inspired this new Legion of Monsters series. I gotta say, I found Simon Garth's new Zombie back-up story sophomoric and insulting. To take a character with a 30+ year history dust him off for the 1st time in years, and reduce that history down to a fan-boy fantasy, is the act of a writer too cool for his own shoes. "Look at me...lets dig up a classic Marvel Monster and have him make-out with a dead chick at the end of the story. C'mon!, Garth had thirteen pages. If your going to take the time to introduce a classic 70's character to a new reader, show them why he was cool to begin with. A man murdered by the man who raped his daughter rises from the dead in search of vengeance. There's a lot to work with. Loved the Man-Thing story by Huston but Garth's take on The Zombie was written like he'd never even read the book to begin with.

Interesteing....very....i have alotof those old Marvel mags...and Love the art and stories...and you have a legit point....

but..i still enjoyed the story ...im just happy the Marvel is re-introducing these characters again...i do hope..that this is ongoing..and then will give them more of a chance to develop the stories....

rilynil
04-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know the last appearance of Simon Garth before now? That'd be interesting to know.

ant-man
04-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know the last appearance of Simon Garth before now? That'd be interesting to know.

i believe it was in the 70's ...but not sure....good question...:peoples:

wktf
04-15-2007, 07:02 PM
I believe the '70s as well. I'm not sure he ever made it out of the black and white Marvel mags and into four color format.

protector2814, you chose your forum handle well. Good points. I was just so glad to see the Zombie and had fun with this silly story I hadn't even thought about those past stories. You raise some valid points.

protector2814
04-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Didn't want to come off like some old fart yellin' at he kids to "Get off my yard"... thanks for listening. I've seen Simon Garth make a few appearences out of the 70's b&w mag. Wanna say he was in some sort of Spider team-up back in the day. I know I've seen him teamed w/ Brother Voodoo. Whenever I've searched for back issues at cons, everyone knows what I'm talking about. The character is fondly remembered and I'm certain its on account of the incredible cover art that was published. The stories are well paced and well written. Give 'em a chance if you have an extra ten spot at your local con or pick up the new b&w Essentials trade (you'll miss the covers which are great) Who knows, maybe Marvel's old-school zombie may warrant his own cover on this new monster series.
I'm a big fan of the marvel monsters and have been making a quiet push for them to be visualized as statues.

wktf
04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
...I'm a big fan of the marvel monsters and have been making a quiet push for them to be visualized as statues.

I was a teenager when the Marvel Monsters came out in the '70s, starting with Werewolf by Night and Morbius. I, too, have been pushing for statues, mostly from Bowen and mostly for a Tomb of Dracula.

rilynil
04-16-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm buying the DST Dracula statue, but I would love to see Bowen do a Gene Colan Dracula.

Teague
04-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Is anyone else getting tired of zombies?

rilynil
04-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Is anyone else getting tired of zombies?
Not me! I've loved zombies since I saw that old "Kolchak the Night Stalker" episode when it first debuted in 1974. It's the episode where he's in the junkyard and has to crawl up in the back of the hearse where the zombie is "sleeping." He's trying to sew up the zombie's lips after filling his mouth with salt in order to kill him. THEN THE ZOMBIE'S EYES POP OPEN! :eek: I was about to turn 9 years old when that aired and it scared the holy crap out of me!

I remember watching "Dark Shadows" before "Kolchak" started airing, and that eventually led to a love of Stephen King, Halloween movies, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and all other sorts of scary stuff. I am really enjoying the current zombie craze of movies, comics and such.

And yes, I love Rob Zombie, too! :buttrock: And I am SO IMPATIENT for my Ick Zombie bust!!!!!!

Teague
04-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Not me! I've loved zombies since I saw that old "Kolchak the Night Stalker" episode when it first debuted in 1974. It's the episode where he's in the junkyard and has to crawl up in the back of the hearse where the zombie is "sleeping." He's trying to sew up the zombie's lips after filling his mouth with salt in order to kill him. THEN THE ZOMBIE'S EYES POP OPEN! :eek: I was about to turn 9 years old when that aired and it scared the holy crap out of me!

I remember watching "Dark Shadows" before "Kolchak" started airing, and that eventually led to a love of Stephen King, Halloween movies, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and all other sorts of scary stuff. I am really enjoying the current zombie craze of movies, comics and such.

And yes, I love Rob Zombie, too! :buttrock: And I am SO IMPATIENT for my Ick Zombie bust!!!!!!

Hey, I love good zombie stuff, I really do. But there's so much out there right now that's just....bad. I just read the Zombies! Marvel series, and it just sucked. Maybe I'm spoiled by great bronze age stuff, and Walking Dead.

rilynil
04-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Hey, I love good zombie stuff, I really do. But there's so much out there right now that's just....bad. I just read the Zombies! Marvel series, and it just sucked. Maybe I'm spoiled by great bronze age stuff, and Walking Dead.
I don't buy everything with zombies in it. I LOVE Walking Dead, and I buy the Marvel Zombies comics (although they aren't as good). I do love zombie movies. Even when zombie movies are bad, I still think they're good. :)

Stephen King's "Cell" novel is going to be made into a movie, by the way. I can't wait.

tuv1305
04-16-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't buy everything with zombies in it. I LOVE Walking Dead, and I buy the Marvel Zombies comics (although they aren't as good). I do love zombie movies. Even when zombie movies are bad, I still think they're good. :)

Stephen King's "Cell" novel is going to be made into a movie, by the way. I can't wait.

I like most of King's stuff anyways, but I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed "Cell". It didn't even really feel like a King book to me and I'm equal parts anticipating/dreading the movie adaptation.

ant-man
04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
I like most of King's stuff anyways, but I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed "Cell". It didn't even really feel like a King book to me and I'm equal parts anticipating/dreading the movie adaptation.

if i may sound so stupid...what is the "cell " about..., really enjoy Kings stuff...

tuv1305
04-16-2007, 09:04 AM
It's about a signal that gets sent out over everyone's cell phones and drives them ape-**** crazy. They don't quite become zombies per se, but pretty close. They no longer feel or acknowledge being harmed and are extremely violent. The main character is a comic book artist who is trying to be reunited with his son.

workingdog
04-16-2007, 09:05 AM

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(Marvel_Comics) ...

Although laid to peaceful rest in Tales of the Zombie # 9 (he did not appear in the following, final issue, which contained a Brother Voodoo story and three anthological tales), Simon Garth was reanimated in the horror-comics magazine Bizarre Adventures #33 (Dec. 1982), in an out-of-chronology story hard to reconcile with the remainder of the character's continuity. The Zombie returned to color comic books in a backup story in Daredevil Annual # 9 (July 1993). At the time of that appearance, the Zombie remained unearthed, controlled by Donna, who pledged to have him eliminate other such enthralled undead.

The Zombie thereafter appeared in Peter Parker: Spider-Man Annual '97 (1997); in a behind-the-scenes references in Blade: Crescent City Blues #1 (March 1998) leading into a guest appearance in Spider-Man Unlimited #20 (May 1998); and in a solo story in the anthology series Strange Tales vol. 3, #1 (Sept. 1998).

In 2006, he briefly returned, with other 1970s Marvel-monster characters, as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent in Nick Fury's Howling Commandos.

The Essential Tales of the Zombie trade that Protector mentioned was a fun read :thumbs2:

http://ourworld.cs.com/mlm45805/covers/Ess+TOZ+v1.JPG

ant-man
04-16-2007, 09:09 AM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(Marvel_Comics) ...

Although laid to peaceful rest in Tales of the Zombie # 9 (he did not appear in the following, final issue, which contained a Brother Voodoo story and three anthological tales), Simon Garth was reanimated in the horror-comics magazine Bizarre Adventures #33 (Dec. 1982), in an out-of-chronology story hard to reconcile with the remainder of the character's continuity. The Zombie returned to color comic books in a backup story in Daredevil Annual # 9 (July 1993). At the time of that appearance, the Zombie remained unearthed, controlled by Donna, who pledged to have him eliminate other such enthralled undead.

The Zombie thereafter appeared in Peter Parker: Spider-Man Annual '97 (1997); in a behind-the-scenes references in Blade: Crescent City Blues #1 (March 1998) leading into a guest appearance in Spider-Man Unlimited #20 (May 1998); and in a solo story in the anthology series Strange Tales vol. 3, #1 (Sept. 1998).

In 2006, he briefly returned, with other 1970s Marvel-monster characters, as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent in Nick Fury's Howling Commandos.

The Essential Tales of the Zombie trade that Protector mentioned was a fun read :thumbs2:

http://ourworld.cs.com/mlm45805/covers/Ess+TOZ+v1.JPG

NICE research there....:thumbs2:

workingdog
04-16-2007, 09:18 AM
... I'm a big fan of the marvel monsters and have been making a quiet push for them to be visualized as statues.

Protector, if you haven't seen, check out this "Zombie" Resin Realities kit which Danno showcased last October ...

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=37081

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL826/450444/13120178/194302617.jpg

workingdog
04-16-2007, 09:19 AM
NICE research there....:thumbs2:

Thanks!

protector2814
04-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks workingdog for the statue info (I had no idea one was out there) and the Zombie history. I knew I'd seen him with Spidey in the past. Here's to Bowen producing Monster statues one day. I see the monster statues being able to connect with some sort of locking cemetery bases. Werewolf by Night, Zombie, Dracula, Morbius, and Frankenstein's Monster all standing in a creepy graveyard.

rilynil
04-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks workingdog for the statue info (I had no idea one was out there) and the Zombie history. I knew I'd seen him with Spidey in the past. ***Here's to Bowen producing Monster statues one day. I see the monster statues being able to connect with some sort of locking cemetery bases. Werewolf by Night, Zombie, Dracula, Morbius, and Frankenstein's Monster all standing in a creepy graveyard.***
That's an awesome idea! I'd be all in for that.