PDA

View Full Version : Do current comics still go up in value?

furie
04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Aside from maybe the first issue of The Walking Dead, do new comics increase in value? What Marvel comics have gone up in value over the past 2 years?

Teague
04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
New comics won't go up in price for quite a while. Right now, on hot series, you can probably get close to cover price for them on eBay. I sold a complete run of Fables (which was then at about 60, I think) for $200. I'm about to put up a complete run of Punisher (Ennis) that might go for about the same. Runs can do well, single issues can do well in the short-term, but overall, no. The 80s books are just now beginning to rise in prices, and they'll never be worth as much as the golden and silver age books, no matter how much time passes, IMHO.

VaultMan
04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot. Stuff like GL Rebirth #1 and Superman/Batman #1 used to be pretty hot. Now you can still score them pretty reasonably.

One of the priciest of the current runs is Ultimate Spidey #1 which has remained pretty consistent, I think.

rilynil
04-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Cool question. Good to know!

Teague
04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot. Stuff like GL Rebirth #1 and Superman/Batman #1 used to be pretty hot. Now you can still score them pretty reasonably.

One of the priciest of the current runs is Ultimate Spidey #1 which has remained pretty consistent, I think.

Good point about Ult. Spidey. I'm sure those go for pretty pennies. :)

Vince-Vell
04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
i think more or less those recent sleeper books are the ones that go up the most. Like NYX #2 with first app of X23 and stuff like that. Those books that sorta sneek in and then you kick youself in the ass for not getting or missed out on.

All those hyped up, 30 variant tittles prob will never be worth that much.

TheJoker
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
the reason why things now will never be as expensive as the golden age or silver age of books is because people keep everything now.... but back in the 40's 50's 60's and even 70's when people went to war or left home their parents threw out all their comics. so there are much less of them around. But everybody keeps all their books now.

Teague
04-16-2007, 04:21 PM
the reason why things now will never be as expensive as the golden age or silver age of books is because people keep everything now.... but back in the 40's 50's 60's and even 70's when people went to war or left home their parents threw out all their comics. so there are much less of them around. But everybody keeps all their books now.

Not everybody, but many more for sure. I wonder if the "kids" comics that most collectors don't care about today will be worth anything in the future. It's always what people aren't collecting that goes through the roof.

It was also the paper drives for WWII that caused so much of the shortage. That's why so few golden age comics survived.

Vince-Vell
04-16-2007, 04:25 PM
It was also the paper drives for WWII that caused so much of the shortage. That's why so few golden age comics survived.

Hmm maybe i should keep my HoM books after all, since most poeple are using them for toilet paper now......:eek:

TheJoker
04-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Hmm maybe i should keep my HoM books after all, since most poeple are using them for toilet paper now......:eek:

:laugh:

patrickwm68
04-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Walking Dead #1 and NYX #2 are rare occurrances. Between CGCing new books and eBay, most new books will never be valuable.

Buy comics to read them, if they go up in value then that's a plus. If you want to invest in comics than go for silver age titles.

Vince-Vell
04-16-2007, 04:32 PM
First appearances are allways a given tho. look at flash 92 with first Impulse bart allen. That jumped up once he became the new Flash.

So if anything new, stick with first appearance character books.

Teague
04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
First appearances are allways a given tho. look at flash 92 with first Impulse bart allen. That jumped up once he became the new Flash.

So if anything new, stick with first appearance character books.

Well, 1st apps are a decent bet, but by no means a sure one. There are tons of new characters introduced every year, and only a small number actually make any significant waves.

Look at the "new" members of Alpha Flight from a few years ago. Good for a dozen issues or so, and then Bendis killed them off. Their first apps didn't make for a thing!

Vince-Vell
04-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, 1st apps are a decent bet, but by no means a sure one. There are tons of new characters introduced every year, and only a small number actually make any significant waves.

Look at the "new" members of Alpha Flight from a few years ago. Good for a dozen issues or so, and then Bendis killed them off. Their first apps didn't make for a thing!

ya but look what they did with sentry, he was a joke character and then all of a suddun his book went from 25¢ to $100 in a night with NA#2. Its a matter of sitting on them and hopeing for the best.

There is always hope for a new writter to come on the scene who loved those characters to bring them back, and become the hottest thing going.

but like all collectables, have to sell it when its hot.

Edit: Bendis is part of the reign of Joe Q, so once they are gone who knows what kind of writters can come on board and bring things back the way the should be.

Teague
04-16-2007, 05:06 PM
ya but look what they did with sentry, he was a joke character and then all of a suddun his book went from 25¢ to $100 in a night with NA#2. Its a matter of sitting on them and hopeing for the best.

There is always hope for a new writter to come on the scene who loved those characters to bring them back, and become the hottest thing going.

but like all collectables, have to sell it when its hot.

Edit: Bendis is part of the reign of Joe Q, so once they are gone who knows what kind of writters can come on board and bring things back the way the should be.

Sure; absolutely, this can happen. I'm just saying that it doesn't always happen. First apps aren't a sure thing. But they might be a better bet than most.

patrickwm68
04-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Is Sentry #1 really worth $100.00?

moon_knight1971
04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Check out Wizard every month for the 10 hottest titles across the nation lol.....

Jack8022
04-16-2007, 05:57 PM
LOL. I have to laugh whenever I think of this. I can't ever see newer comics go up in value for the long haul like the old silver age stuff. I think the nature of the industry has changed so much that it can no longer generate the nostolgia factor which will add collector value aside from being part of a larger collection. I think that this is because the creative teams switch off too quickly in most cases. Relaunches don't help in the long run. Also, the added realism diminishes the fun where stories lose some of their timelessness. Read 'em, enjoy 'em for what they are, keep the ones you like. That's my advice. Forget about them as an investment.

Vince-Vell
04-16-2007, 06:27 PM

It was once he ripped carnage in half. Every store, ebay sale etc... had it going for $70 raw and over $100 CGCed. Then nothing happened with him and it dopped like a brick in water.

So if you had #1 at that time, it was a good time to sell. I made out like a bandit buying up the 20 copies at my LCS for cover price and selling them on ebay.

Teague
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM

I don't know--I'd be surprised if you could actually get that for it. But maybe.

Teague
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
It was once he ripped carnage in half. Every store, ebay sale etc... had it going for $70 raw and over $100 CGCed. Then nothing happened with him and it dopped like a brick in water.

So if you had #1 at that time, it was a good time to sell. I made out like a bandit buying up the 20 copies at my LCS for cover price and selling them on ebay.

Wow, damn. Nice score, man! :thumbs2:

I had the same opportunity with Amazing Spidey #36 (WTC issue), but I ended up selling them way low, out of respect. Everyone should have that issue, I thought.

Ink
04-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow, damn. Nice score, man! :thumbs2:

I had the same opportunity with Amazing Spidey #36 (WTC issue), but I ended up selling them way low, out of respect. Everyone should have that issue, I thought.

what's ASM#36 going for?

Vince-Vell
04-16-2007, 07:55 PM
i did a little experiment while back with a lot of my books and got them CGCed. I had a AMS 36 and got a 9.8 which was amazing. Sold that sucker for $160 at the time when it was smoking hot.

moon_knight1971
04-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I'd recommend CGCing all 1st appearances of the better recent characters like DEADPOOL, GAMBIT & X-23. Worth so much more than a raw copy.....

rilynil
04-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Generally, are copies signed by creators worth more? I've got several X-23 comics signed by Joe Q, Middleton, Tan and Choi. I need to find some X-23 or New X-Men comics signed by Kyle and Yost. :)

VaultMan
04-16-2007, 09:50 PM
A lot of the Marvel Todd MacFarlane books do pretty well, particularly the Hulk vs Wolvie, 341 I think? 1st appearance of Venom 299-300 etc. 1st Hobgoblin, ASM 238 also does pretty well still...