PDA

View Full Version : Comic Collection software

tomcat
04-17-2007, 09:32 PM
I need some help. I've decided to keep track of my collection and it's value. I've downloaded the free trail Comicbase software and find it OK. I also remeber seeing an ad for Comiccollectorlive.com so I looked at it a little bit. Has anybody compared these and if they have what are the pluses and minsus. I kinda like that comiccollector's software is free unless you buy or sell comics through them and you still get regular updates where Comicsbase cost at least $50 and after a year you have to pay for updates. I appreciate any input.

CanadianMachine
04-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I dont use either one. I found comicspriceguide.com to be better. You have to pay for it monthly or every6 months, etc. They give weekly updates of comics that just came out and there is no charge. The collection is stored on their website and is downloadable in excel format.

I think you can input 10 comics for free to check it out.

Teague
04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
I use ComicBase, and it's pretty good. Once you get used to it, I think it works nicely. My only complaint about it is that it doesn't use Overstreet pricing, which has been my standard--but honestly, the value of my collection is probably closer to what it's worth than the Overstreet prices I was using.

bruiser72
06-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok i have reached into the bowels of comics threads and found this one.

So I will repeat the main question, anybody have some input on a good comic collection software?

I have tried comiccollectorlive.com and comic base but they are some what confusing. Any suggetions from the forum?

bruiser72
06-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I do not care if the software is free or you have to pay. Something that you can input your collection and give you a value would be nice.

epcomics
06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
www.comicspriceguide.com

You have to pay but it keeps track of your comics and gives you their value individually and as a whole.

Comic Collector Live is also great and highly recommended.

bruiser72
06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I have used comic collector live but do not find it all that user friendly. I can't seem to get a value for the comics I have entered. Maybe I need a tutorial?

epcomics
06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
I have used comic collector live but do not find it all that user friendly. I can't seem to get a value for the comics I have entered. Maybe I need a tutorial?

They are not a price guide, however, you can look at a comic and see the average price it's sold for on that website and the average price that it's listed at.

k9ziggy
06-21-2008, 10:44 AM
I've been using CCL for a while. It's not bad, my only complaints are that it's a little slow and no value is assigned to your book once you enter a grade.

On the upside, it offers a lot of report options, including a "wishlist" report. Once you fill that out, you can then go to the live auction on their site and search all the sales by your wishlist. It is very convenient. I've bought from a few different sellers and had excellent results.

The software is free, so why not?

Teague
06-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I posted in this thread a while back, but I have a little more experience with Comic Base now.

I still think it's a good program, even if it is sometimes a little buggy. And the database compaction takes a little longer than it should (they really need to optimize that). My biggest beef with it is that it's pretty spectacularly expensive; I have the "pro" version, and shelled out $120 for it. What I didnt' know then is that you can only get updates for a year. So it's basically $10 a month. I just wish they'd present it that way, instead of the semi-bait-and-switch that they use now. It's not like you can buy it once and then never upgrade. Or you can, but you can't input new comics without creating each issue manually (more trouble than it's worth).

I don't know how much comicspriceguide.com is per month (anyone know?), but honestly, I'm thinking about going that route when my current subscription expires. I'm at least going to look into it.

bruiser72
06-21-2008, 05:14 PM
My biggest reason for this is to get a value for insurance, So it would be nice if the program would give a base value so that i can send the insurance a report.

epcomics
06-21-2008, 05:53 PM
My biggest reason for this is to get a value for insurance, So it would be nice if the program would give a base value so that i can send the insurance a report.

The best one for that would undoubetly be ComicsPriceGuide.com

Teague
06-21-2008, 07:03 PM
The best one for that would undoubetly be ComicsPriceGuide.com

Not that I'm arguing this (because I honestly don't know), but why would Comic Base not be good for this? It even uses the same data.

bruiser72
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I am wondering why wizard magazine does not have one since they give values?

epcomics
06-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Not that I'm arguing this (because I honestly don't know), but why would Comic Base not be good for this? It even uses the same data.

Because I'm also a member of their forums ;)

On a more serious not I know practically nothing of Comic Base, although I have heard that their pricing is different (in a bad way) from CPG. I don't know if it's true but that's what I heard. I'm only really familiar with CPG and CCL.

Teague
06-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Because I'm also a member of their forums ;)

On a more serious not I know practically nothing of Comic Base, although I have heard that their pricing is different (in a bad way) from CPG. I don't know if it's true but that's what I heard. I'm only really familiar with CPG and CCL.

I don't think that's right (about the prices being off CPG), because I think they use CPG for their prices. My complaint for CB is that they don't use Overstreet, which had been my standard. But the prices are actually lower (in most cases) than Overstreet, which is actually more realistic, if you include eBay pricing.

How much does CPG charge per month? The only plus I can see to that system (barring software differences, which I don't know about) is being able to access it from anywhere.

feste
06-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I posted in this thread a while back, but I have a little more experience with Comic Base now.
So it's basically $10 a month. I just wish they'd present it that way, instead of the semi-bait-and-switch that they use now. It's not like you can buy it once and then never upgrade. Or you can, but you can't input new comics without creating each issue manually (more trouble than it's worth).

I felt the same with with Comicbase. Now that you mention it, if they only charged $10 a month, I'd have been far more likely to keep using it. As is, I "upgraded" twice then couldn't stomach the cost of the software. Psychologically, if they charged 10$ a month for updates, and free software, I'd probably have kept using it.

I no longer use any software now, and while it's annoying to go check what I have and don't have at times, it's actually quite liberating that I don't have to sit down every week and update my inventory.

Teague
06-22-2008, 08:48 PM
I felt the same with with Comicbase. Now that you mention it, if they only charged $10 a month, I'd have been far more likely to keep using it. As is, I "upgraded" twice then couldn't stomach the cost of the software. Psychologically, if they charged 10$ a month for updates, and free software, I'd probably have kept using it.

I no longer use any software now, and while it's annoying to go check what I have and don't have at times, it's actually quite liberating that I don't have to sit down every week and update my inventory.

I think maybe I'll write them and suggest that. I doubt it'll do much good, but hell, it's worth a shot. And honestly, I may well switch over to CPG once my current subscription runs out, just for the ease of use. I'm sure as heck going to look into it.

VinReaper
06-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I use this software!

Link: Collectorz.com Comic DB Software (http://www.collectorz.com/comic/)

It really works well and is can be as extensive or as simple as you wish it to be.

The free trial allows you to enter 100 comics and utilize most of its functionality.

It will search for books by title and/or character/character family and will download the cover art front and back as well as all related information. (Published Date, Artists, etc.)

VR

armitage
06-24-2008, 11:07 AM
comic collector live is an exe. file I can't open when I download.
:(

bruiser72
06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Arm, double click it and the zip opener should come up and the icon should come up and then click it and it should install.

nova64
02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I've used the Collect Comics software for years and really like its features and interface.

http://www.collectcomicssoftware.com

Doug